Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Metformin review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

Reviews for Metformin to treat Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Review by 33yroldfemale (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was misdiagnosed with depression/anxiety. Stopped menstruating in 2000 after taking the birth control shot. Gained 80lbs I can't shed. Started taking metformin after doctor connected the symptoms I had with my 4 miscarriages, and that I had to take fertility drugs to have the 2 children I have. I felt immediately better. Still have a hard time trying to shed the weight, but I feel like awful when I don't take this medicine.

July 25, 2012 11:04 AM

Review by mamabobcat71 (taken for less than 1 month):

It's my 7th day and beginning the new round...I go up from 500 mg to 1,000 mg today. I haven't seen anything as of yet. Maybe some gas. Finally a doctor has noticed this syndrome and now being treated. I'm 41 and it should have happen when I was in the 4th grade to at least high school. I have the pimples, had the monthly problems, weight, the horrible hair, and more. I have a lot of hope in this medicine and change in life! I also told 2 of my cousins about it as well.

May 17, 2012 10:27 AM

Review by Matsi:

Before I took Metformin I had a unpredictable and agonizingly painful cycle, had a bad odor, and was growing facial hair. I was also diagnosed with borderline diabetes. The change between then and now is amazing. My cycle is regular and normal, I don't smell bad constantly, and my face is clean and smooth. The Metformin also controls the diabetic aspect, so I only have to take one medication for two diseases. My biggest side-effect is the diarrhea and stomach upset, which is compounded by my Irritable Bowel Syndrome. This is easy to fix by eating a meal before taking Metformin. Despite the gastrointestinal issues, this medicine has changed my life for the better.

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2012 12:35 AM

Metformin started off good for me. Except for the frequent diarrhea, it worked quickly to give me a normal period. I had no weight loss (though I really need it), and after 3 months my periods became irregular again. My doctor increased my dose after six months, and again after 3. I'm still not regularly regular, and it hasn't increased my ovulation (per a daily ovulation test). This medicine has generally great reviews, but it's very inconsistent for me.

February 20, 2012 12:28 AM

Have been taking taking half dose for 2 weeks and have increasingly felt horrible. Had nausea, dizziness, hot flashes, headaches, anxiety, depression. If you've never tried it, you should try it for yourself but my body is extremely sensitive and it did not work for me.

February 11, 2012 12:51 AM

Review by sptscristy:

My doctor diagnosed me with PCOS, 1 month ago and put me on Metformin to help with my period. The first week was fine except for cravings and a little diarrhea. By the third week I up my dose to 1000mg a day. The first day taking 1000mg I got really sick (vomiting) and every time I would move I felt like I was going to get sick again so basically I laid around all day (thank goodness I upped my dose on a weekend). After that I was fine, well as long as I took the pill on a full stomach had no problems in that area. I haven't lost anyway weight and the way I'm going I will probably be gaining soon because my cravings are getting out of hand. I have never been into as much chocolate or any kind of junk food until I started taking Metformin. I have also been constipated, cold sores on lips (two in a week) and pimples in areas that I don't usually get them. I don't know what to think about the pill so far, I will give it another month and see how it goes.

November 29, 2011 8:44 PM

I have only been on Metformin 5 days and I already see the difference in my symptoms. I have more energy and already lost 1.5lbs. Before, it took me a year to lose 10lbs. I have mild gastrointestinal discomfort but well worth it. It seems to help with food cravings. I used to drink 5 cups of coffee in the morning and I am down to only one without any caffeine withdrawal symptoms. I also don't crave sugar or high carb foods. I have a healthy snack in between meals to prevent blood sugar drops such as an apple, berries, or carrots. I would recommend this to anyone suffering from PCOS.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2011 10:57 AM

I was diagnosed with PCOS 5 weeks ago and have been on Metformin ever since. So far I haven't lost any weight (Luckily my condition was caught before I gained too much, I only have about 25lbs to lose) I am a registered dietitian and exercise daily so the not losing weight is a bit discouraging but my Endocrinologist has assured me that I will, apparently with some people it can take up to 4 months to start losing. The side effects were horrible the first two weeks along with horrible cramping and a constant period for 3 weeks. However, now I have no side effects at all, you just have to stick with it. My doctor was great and recommended taking the metformin at night so that I would be at home for the side effects. I take 1500 mg daily.

November 3, 2011 11:40 PM

Review by Londongurl:

I have just been diagnosed with having Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Before the diagnosis I put on about 40 lbs just out of the blue within 8 months. I also had excess hair on my face, stomach and legs, and I only had about 6 periods in the last year. I went for a pelvic scan and for the last 9 days I have been taking Metformin (500mg twice a day) under the doctor's orders. Something is definitely happening because I had a period within 5 days of taking the medication and I've lost about 4 lbs in the last week. The side effects were annoying. I had a lot of gas and diarrhea for about 3 days. The side effects seem to have passed now. My overall experience with Metformin is fairly good so far. I am looking forward to seeing more results.

October 2, 2011 7:44 PM

Glucophage (metformin): This medicine has definitely improved my quality of life. Within the first 2 weeks of starting metformin, I lost 8 pounds (where before I struggled to lose weight). Now I am in a healthy BMI for my height group. I experienced no nausea while taking this medicine (I took it in the middle of a meal). I did experience some intestinal side effects (gas / diarrhea) for the first week, and the first week I increased my dose.

September 27, 2011 2:17 PM

The only issue with this medication for me was the stomach upset, gas and diarrhea. However, the positives totally outweigh the negatives. After 6 months with no period and working out 3-4 days a week with no weight loss, it took 2 weeks on 1000mg/day of metformin to have a period and lose 5 lbs! I noticed that the stomach upset is worst when I eat something heavy or fatty. I continue to work out and am anxious to see where I will be a year from now.

September 24, 2011 10:44 AM

I've been on metformin for 2 weeks now and am so happy with the results that it makes me want to cry. I've lost 6 pounds, I have my energy back and I'm just happy again. I feel like I'm back to myself after not being for the past 3 years. I would recommend it to anyone who suffers from PCOS.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 5, 2011 4:44 PM

Review by AahlenHayam:

I have been diagnosed with PCOS for over 4 years, but only have been prescribed Metformin after seeing no results with combined pills. Having gained so much weight over the past year now weighing 75kgs, this medication does not seem to be working at all with my weight loss. I'm on 2 x 500mg a day. Have had few bad side effects, nausea and bad breath. I brush my teeth endlessly, but doesn't seem to improve. As long as I can lose weight I don't mind the side effects, but I've been on this medication for over a month now and I have not lost any weight.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2011 6:21 AM

I was originally started on Metformin two years ago-when I first started I was supposed to take 500mg twice a day then gradually up to three times a day. No matter when I took it I got horribly sick to where I missed work and could not even leave the house. After stopping the metformin I tried other medications and things got worse. After reading some reviews I started taking Metformin extended release. I have been taking it for about three weeks and have had no stomach issues. If you have a sensitive stomach I highly suggest asking about the extended release. I take it at night with dinner and I am fine. Hope this helps!

December 20, 2010 4:06 PM

Review by Kim S:

I have had a hard time adjusting to it. I have been taking it for about two months 500mg twice a day. I am always tired and if I don't sleep enough I am sick all day. I am hungry all day but almost everything nauseates me, and I get discomfort pains in my lower stomach. I usually can handle the pain and discomfort but since we've been trying to conceive for five years, all the symptoms similar to pregnancy plays games with my mind. Aside from all that, I still plan to take the medicine for as long as it takes. If anyone has the symptoms similar to mine please let me know, anything you are doing to make it easier. Thank you.

November 5, 2010 11:47 PM

I've been on this for almost a month now. I'm exhausted all the time and whether I take it with food or not I get sick. I am supposed to take 2 pills a day. I take the morning one about an hour after my workout and the night time one right before bed. I've noticed I'm not nauseated when I wake up. My period is due in 3 days so we'll see if I get it. No weight loss yet.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2010 2:06 AM

Review by Harleysgirl:

I am 43 and have suffered for about 10 years from extreme tiredness, acne around the mouth and chin, and weight gain. Was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2000. Started taking Metformin 3 weeks ago and have had little side effects. I am also taking spironolactone. My biggest complaint is severe, sudden cramping in the small muscles in the front of my legs and toes. Taking calcium with magnesium seem to help. I felt tired for several days, but have lost 5 lbs already. (Could also be from water weight). My brain seems less foggy and I don't feel as depressed. I do not eat sweets in general, but this medication has affected my appetite in a good way!!

June 21, 2010 8:47 AM

Glucophage (metformin): I have been using it for 2 months now and it has helped me so much. I have been able to lose weight. Which over the past 4 yrs I have had trainers and everything else anyone tries to lose weight, with very heart breaking results. This has helped with my moods as well. It hasn't been that long, but I wish this could have been figured out years ago. I've made more progress in 2 months than I have in the past 4 years.

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2009 8:53 PM

Review by K085:

I started to take Metformin two months ago, after finally recieving proper treatment for PCOS and insulin resistance. The first month was especially rough; gas, abdominal cramps and diarrhea were persistent. It seemed my body was used to my blood sugar being high, so if I didn't watch meal times, I ended up having minor symptoms of hypoglycemia, even though my blood sugar was normal (finally!). On rough days, I would take an Imodium with my metformin, careful not to overtake it. I stopped eating crap (it made me sick), and I found that if I took it an hour or two before or after meals instead of with the meal, my GI side effects weren't as bad. Drink lots of water!!

December 23, 2009 12:49 AM

Review by burbuja:

Glucophage (metformin): My experience with metformin has been awesome. I have been using this medicine for about a year now and have has great results. I know have regular periods which is great because I used to get it every 15 days or miss months here and there. Another fantastic thing is that I can now function when I am menstruating which used to be impossible for me due to the horrible pain. I now have manageable pain and don't have to get shots for it. I've also been able to lose 77 lbs that I had gained. Overall I've had a wonderful experience with this medication. I believe that taking my doctor's advice was the best thing I ever did, I think the combination of the medicine, changed eating habits and exercise all helped.

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2009 9:47 PM

I am currently on Metformin for PCOS symptoms. However, blood test after blood test has shown that I do not have PCOS. I have all the symptoms and Metformin is working to regulate my cycles. The only downside is the weakness, light-headedness, and sleepiness I am experiencing. I have read that it is possibly from lactic acidosis, which is frightening. I am increasing my water intake and exercise and hoping that it will go away.

October 15, 2009 5:19 AM

I just got this medicine prescribed to me on Friday, started taking it on Saturday, no side effects yet, but from reading the comments it seems to help with PCOS and regulating your period..getting a biopsy in 2 weeks to see if I am pre-cancerous or have cancer, so wish me luck.

September 29, 2009 3:42 PM

Glucophage XR (metformin): The first week of taking Metformin (Glucophage) I was extremely sick! But after that intail first week of taking the pill, I was better. I take 1000mg in the morning and at night; making that 2000mg a day. So far it hasn't given me any issues. Haven't noticed much weight loss but so far I am happy with it.

September 25, 2009 1:22 PM

I used metformin for about 3 months and only had nausea and heartburn after a greasy meal, this made me change to the Metformin ER. It did help me lose about 20 pounds which is great because with PCOS it is hard to lose weight. I only used this to lose some weight and make me ovulate (which only took about 3 weeks). I do not have insulin resistance. Overall this is a great drug for PCOS!

July 28, 2009 11:15 AM

Review by JayGee:

I was prescribed this about two months ago for PCOS (my doctor gave me the option to treat the symptoms or treat the root cause, and I choose the latter). She started me out on a low dose and worked up to a full dose, which helped a lot with side effects. I felt mildly nauseous all the time until I started focusing on really eating right. If I eat a good, healthy dinner right before I take the pills, I don't feel sick at all. Another side effect, I've lost all interest in alcohol because it makes me feel terrible immediately. This has forced me to change my lifestyle, but in a good way. I've lost some weight and just generally feel better.

July 23, 2009 10:55 AM