User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Metformin review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

Reviews for Metformin to treat Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

I've been on this for almost a month now. I'm exhausted all the time and whether I take it with food or not I get sick. I am supposed to take 2 pills a day. I take the morning one about an hour after my workout and the night time one right before bed. I've noticed I'm not nauseated when I wake up. My period is due in 3 days so we'll see if I get it. No weight loss yet.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2010 2:06 AM

Review by Harleysgirl:

I am 43 and have suffered for about 10 years from extreme tiredness, acne around the mouth and chin, and weight gain. Was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2000. Started taking Metformin 3 weeks ago and have had little side effects. I am also taking spironolactone. My biggest complaint is severe, sudden cramping in the small muscles in the front of my legs and toes. Taking calcium with magnesium seem to help. I felt tired for several days, but have lost 5 lbs already. (Could also be from water weight). My brain seems less foggy and I don't feel as depressed. I do not eat sweets in general, but this medication has affected my appetite in a good way!!

June 21, 2010 8:47 AM

Glucophage (metformin): I have been using it for 2 months now and it has helped me so much. I have been able to lose weight. Which over the past 4 yrs I have had trainers and everything else anyone tries to lose weight, with very heart breaking results. This has helped with my moods as well. It hasn't been that long, but I wish this could have been figured out years ago. I've made more progress in 2 months than I have in the past 4 years.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2009 8:53 PM

Review by K085:

I started to take Metformin two months ago, after finally recieving proper treatment for PCOS and insulin resistance. The first month was especially rough; gas, abdominal cramps and diarrhea were persistent. It seemed my body was used to my blood sugar being high, so if I didn't watch meal times, I ended up having minor symptoms of hypoglycemia, even though my blood sugar was normal (finally!). On rough days, I would take an Imodium with my metformin, careful not to overtake it. I stopped eating crap (it made me sick), and I found that if I took it an hour or two before or after meals instead of with the meal, my GI side effects weren't as bad. Drink lots of water!!

December 23, 2009 12:49 AM

Review by burbuja:

Glucophage (metformin): My experience with metformin has been awesome. I have been using this medicine for about a year now and have has great results. I know have regular periods which is great because I used to get it every 15 days or miss months here and there. Another fantastic thing is that I can now function when I am menstruating which used to be impossible for me due to the horrible pain. I now have manageable pain and don't have to get shots for it. I've also been able to lose 77 lbs that I had gained. Overall I've had a wonderful experience with this medication. I believe that taking my doctor's advice was the best thing I ever did, I think the combination of the medicine, changed eating habits and exercise all helped.

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2009 9:47 PM

I am currently on Metformin for PCOS symptoms. However, blood test after blood test has shown that I do not have PCOS. I have all the symptoms and Metformin is working to regulate my cycles. The only downside is the weakness, light-headedness, and sleepiness I am experiencing. I have read that it is possibly from lactic acidosis, which is frightening. I am increasing my water intake and exercise and hoping that it will go away.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2009 5:19 AM

I just got this medicine prescribed to me on Friday, started taking it on Saturday, no side effects yet, but from reading the comments it seems to help with PCOS and regulating your period..getting a biopsy in 2 weeks to see if I am pre-cancerous or have cancer, so wish me luck.

September 29, 2009 3:42 PM

Glucophage XR (metformin): The first week of taking Metformin (Glucophage) I was extremely sick! But after that intail first week of taking the pill, I was better. I take 1000mg in the morning and at night; making that 2000mg a day. So far it hasn't given me any issues. Haven't noticed much weight loss but so far I am happy with it.

September 25, 2009 1:22 PM

I used metformin for about 3 months and only had nausea and heartburn after a greasy meal, this made me change to the Metformin ER. It did help me lose about 20 pounds which is great because with PCOS it is hard to lose weight. I only used this to lose some weight and make me ovulate (which only took about 3 weeks). I do not have insulin resistance. Overall this is a great drug for PCOS!

July 28, 2009 11:15 AM

Review by JayGee:

I was prescribed this about two months ago for PCOS (my doctor gave me the option to treat the symptoms or treat the root cause, and I choose the latter). She started me out on a low dose and worked up to a full dose, which helped a lot with side effects. I felt mildly nauseous all the time until I started focusing on really eating right. If I eat a good, healthy dinner right before I take the pills, I don't feel sick at all. Another side effect, I've lost all interest in alcohol because it makes me feel terrible immediately. This has forced me to change my lifestyle, but in a good way. I've lost some weight and just generally feel better.

July 23, 2009 10:55 AM

Glucophage XR (metformin): Did not resolve polycystic ovarian syndrome completely, but did improve quality of life by treating my subclinical insulin resistance. Metformin extended release 1000mg/day.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 8, 2009 1:05 PM

Review by KoKoDiVA21:

I was recently diagnosed (finally) with PCOS. I have had irregular periods since I was 13. In the past the only thing that would regulate me was birth control, but since my husband and I have been trying for a baby I haven't been on birth control for quite some time. Just before getting confirmation on the PCOS I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, and my family doctor put me on Metformin. She said lucky for me pregnancy was a side effect in some cases. I'm not pregnant yet, but I have started getting periods since I started taking it, for the first time in years. I feel really good about this medication, especially after reading everyone's comments. Thank you all for the great feedback. I look forward to the losing weight part too.

May 8, 2009 6:14 AM

Review by blackhawk7ca:

Glucophage (metformin): It works great, but the downfall of Metformin is it causes you to have diarrhea but it controls my insulin resistance.

May 7, 2009 3:33 PM

Review by kelz:

I recently found out I have a cyst on my ovary. I was experiencing pains for some time and had no idea what it was. I had always had a very good menstrual cycle. Anyway my doctor prescribed metformin and so here I am. I look forward to seeing results.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2009 12:15 AM

Review by sdnfsfs:

I have been using Metformin for about 1 month and have already seen results. I've lost 20lbs and have gotten my period on a regular basis. PCOS is not fun. I've become very emotional but with the proper medication, diet and exercise, it makes it a lot easier to cope with.

March 19, 2009 10:28 PM

Review by kimg721:

Glucophage XR (metformin): I started taking this medication for PCOS. I would suggest the XR to help with the side effects. Stick to it because the side effects are bad the first 1-2 weeks but after that it gets easier.

March 19, 2009 7:41 PM

The medication made me fell generally unwell with increased wind, loose bowel, a constant sick feeling, exhaustion, terrible mood swings.

March 4, 2009 9:09 AM

Review by KrisZ:

I have had PCOS all my life. I am 32 and had to have a full hysterectomy in May '08. I was told by my (male) doctor that having a complete hysterectomy would relieve me of my PCOS symptoms. It didn't. Ladies, we are still symptomatic of PCOS even with a full hysterectomy. I have since found a (female) doctor who is a specialist with PCOS cases and has me on all the right hormone replacement therapy as well as the Metformin. I take 5 pills a day and it is helping tremendously. I am losing weight and feeling better. I do get a bit tired as I adjust to the higher dosing. However, I have never felt better in my life. I would strongly advice seeing a female doctor for the PCOS issue at any age. Women just understand women - plain and simple.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2008 11:14 AM

I have been having issues since I first got my period at 13 years old. I've had horrible weight gain, infertility, and my cycles is never the same twice. I've been on Metformin for almost a month now and just had my first "normal" cycle. I had a bit of a problem with nausea when I first started taking this and I've learned I have to eat right away when I get up from feeling sick but am getting used to it. I definitely have to take this medicine with food or I get sick.

October 31, 2008 10:21 AM

Review by Cizzy King:

For over 10 years my doctor had no clue what was wrong with me. So he just kept telling me to take birth control to regulate. I was finally diagnosed with PCOS about 2 years ago and was prescribed Metformin. It has helped so much. I did have a few side effects for about the first few weeks. Nausea and tiredness mainly, but it wasn't that bad. I feel better and I have lost quite a bit of weight.

October 31, 2008 12:15 AM

Review by 40 female:

I have been takeing Metformin for my PCOS since September 8TH. When I don't eat before I take it, I get headaches and tummy aches. I tend to get shakey and faint feeling. So I make sure that I eat first and never take them on an empty stomach. If I miss a pill or two I feel bad, sick like. I forgot I was not suppose to drink and had a beer, I became really tired and felt like I had a sugar crash, won't do that again. Other then that the only side effect that the pill gives me is a dry mouth. I am always thirsty. My face has cleared up but I have not lost any noticable weight at the moment. Take this medicine as directed. Rating this medicine as a 5 I have not been taking it long enough to see any changes other then a clear face.

October 29, 2008 1:46 PM

Review by babi_girly:

Metformin has been very successful in treating my PCOS. It's helped me lose weight.

September 23, 2008 12:27 PM

I have recently began treatment for PCOS with metformin and i love the fact that I am now able to lose weight with medication and am watching what I eat. I have not yet had any side effects. I go back to the doctor soon to have more blood work, hope it is working well.

September 17, 2008 8:07 PM

For the first time in my life I am able to lose weight by taking Metformin and watching what I eat. I've never been able to sustain weight loss in the past. I feel like the PCOS cloud has lifted. I'm 47.

August 12, 2008 10:38 AM

I was prescribed Metformin in combination with Clomid - not sure if it's working yet. It has upset my stomach whether I take it with food or not. Other than that, I haven't experienced any side effects.

July 16, 2008 6:33 AM