User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Female Infertility 5 reviews 23 medications

For Diabetes, Type 2: Bloating, stomach discomfort

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2014 3:04 PM

Review by Ultra Monster #49:

For Diabetes, Type 2: Metformin is very good at maintaining blood glucose levels, but the "trots" have been a problem for me since taking it 3 times a day, 1 pill per meal. I found that eating a fresh green salad with no-fat salad dressing a day, and a dose of Imodium Lopermide, made for the "trots", cuts down that problem. I have a tremendously bad problem with morbid (hate that word so much) obesity, and have not noticed any weight loss, but perhaps I'm glad that it can! I am very limited in physical excercise due to a spinal cord injury, degenerative arthritus in my spine, several problems with my legs, broken bones, etc. I used to hike a lot, but can't now. Hypothyroidism doesn't help. Hard time...

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2014 3:33 AM

Review by deley (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I got diagnosed with polycystic ovarian yndrome when I was 16. I'm now 31. I've been taking metformin 1000mg three times a day. I have lost 2 stones in 17 months. I still don't have a cycle & still get unwanted hair I get lots of wind & diarrhea when I've eaten sugary food so if your taking metformin watch your sugar intake.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 7:14 PM

Review by Jo-ela:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: This medication has changed my life!!! I only regret that I did not take it sooner (like in my 20's) After suffering through years of acne and struggling to get pregnant when I wanted (frustrating business when your not ovulating at all) and people asking constantly if I was pregnant (due to my big fat tummy that I could NEVER get rid of...) I finally found Metformin. Now, not only has my skin cleared up, my weight also came off AND I was able to have my beautiful 4th child easily - because my periods have become bang on regular. I am so blessed to have had four children with polycystic ovarian syndrome but it was a long road trying for most of them. This medicine HAS changed my life in that it has given me ME back - the CONFIDENT ME I am supposed to be.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2014 3:04 AM

Review by yieyie17:

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: Glucophage XR 500mg or 1000mg Tabs (I either take 2~500mg Tabs in the Morning and 2~500mg Tabs with Dinner/Supper, or I take 1~1000mg Tab in the Morning and 1~1000mg Tab with Dinner/Supper.) I Totally Love this medicine. It's been one of the best medicines that I have ever taken to help keep my BLOOD SUGARS UNDER CONTROL! "UNLIKE THE GENERIC METFORMIN", THAT REALLY MESSED ME UP, AND WAS MY WORST NIGHTMARE! NOBODY WOOD LISTEN TO ME! MY DOCTOR'S, MY PHARMACIST'S, THE EMERGENCY ROOM, MY THERAPIST, MY PSYCHIATRIST, AND ESPECIALLY MEDICAID, AND MEDICARE PART D! SO AGAINST MEDICAL ADVICE I QUIT TAKING GENERIC "METFORMIN", AND A YEAR AND HALF LATER THEY PUT ME BACK ON GLUCOPHAGE XR! LIFE BECAME WONDERFUL AGAIN!

October 5, 2014 7:49 PM

Review by AnonAnonAnon (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Diabetes, Type 2: It took 1000mg twice a day to knock my sugars down about 100 points, A1C of 10 to around 7 in a few months. Probably would have done better with other lifestyle changes. I'd actually rate metformin a dang good laxative more than a diabetic med, but ahh well. I got used to it, and that side effect helped me eat less.

September 16, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by Stevehami:

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: My husband was diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome and prescribed 4 metformin a day by an Endocrinologist after being misdiagnosed by our GP for hypothyroidism for months and being extremely tired and depressed. He had gained so much belly fat...and was 207 and 5ft 3 in!, not good. But after being one month on the Metformin he lost 20 lbs. this was in addition to limiting carbs in his diet. He feels so much better. He has so much more energy. And the weight continues to melt right off of his belly. We are so glad we decided to go to the Endocrinologist. He was spot on! In a few months I will have my slim husband back.

September 6, 2014 12:49 AM

Review by _rlm_ (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diabetes, Type 2: (54) yr old male: Metformin worked very quickly to lower my blood glucose levels from almost 400 to progressively down to avg of 130 within 10 days. My only complaint is the side effect of very noticeable BLURRED vision and soreness around my eyes. I have always been blessed to have 20/20 vision so this is not something I am used to. I am willing to deal with this side effect as long as my glucose levels are back to normal. As we all know, a lifestyle change with regard to diet and exercise is a MUST. My situation was a "wake up call" and my plans are to eventually be weaned off Metformin within 6 months. Be encouraged and don't give up.

September 1, 2014 9:47 PM

Review by clarieh:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I have been on metformin ( the regular one) 850mg once a day at night since May 2014 for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. The first day I took it I had the worst explosive diarrhea. I persisted with it and it was giving me bouts of nausea, stomach cramps, poor sleep and diarrhea. It has been 3 months now and the symptoms have stopped. I think if you persist at it, and definitely take it after a meal, it will be okay! My periods are still being artificially controlled with norethisterone daily so I can't comment if metformin has regulated my menses, but I am hoping to stop the norethisterone soon!

August 19, 2014 3:22 AM

Review by mimi3515:

For Diabetes, Type 2: Ongoing diarrhea

August 3, 2014 2:10 PM

Review by Mason25 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: My story is similar to those who have posted. I gained A LOT of weight, and had unwanted hair growth due to the polycystic ovarian syndrome. I've been on metformin for almost 3 weeks and have lost 13lbs. The day I started the metformin, I also started a low carb diet. Prior to metformin, I couldn't control my craving for salty, carb filled food. For the past two and a half weeks I have been able to finally control the cravings. My energy levels have increased by 50%. I also waxed the unwanted hair the day I started, and already I have noticed that less is growing back in. I wish I started metformin two years ago because I literally feel like PCOS has taken two years of my life away from me! I hope it works for others as well as it has worked for me.

167 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2014 8:14 PM

Review by metforminuser11118:

For Diabetes, Type 2: Taking 1000 mg 2x per day, with breakfast, with dinner. Prescribed for type 2 diabetes. First blood test for bringing down glucose levels after beginning this medicine treatment will be in six or eight weeks. Was already dieting intensively when I started using the metformin and it has definitely made losing weight easier. I drink loads of water and coffee between meals. Breakfast: small bowl of oatmeal; snack at 11: one piece of fruit; lunch at 1:30, 4 or 5 scrambled egg whites and a whole grain cracker; dinner, slice turkey, vegetables; evening snack: more fruit and nuts. I need to do more exercise for many reasons, but I've gone from 253 to 211 in a year; only been using metformin for six weeks.

July 25, 2014 4:55 PM

Review by Dibbles1 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diabetes, Type 2: Newly diagnosed Diabetes Type 2 from a HbA1c. No symptoms. Good kidney function, etc. My Full Blood Glucose was 5.3/5.7 in the morning. Took half a 500mg Metformin XR with my meal. 1 hour: tightness of throat/breathing, slight, but enough. Then a migraine aura like I've never had in my life. Followed by the worst dehydration headache ever for 24 hours, despite drinking plenty. Extremely thirsty, and frequent urination, even at night. Diarrhea the following morning. Took another 250mg, half a tablet the following day with main meal. Next morning: pain round lower ribs, ache to liver & kidneys. Overlying muscles felt torn/pulled. Continued kidney/liver pain & loss of kidney function by urine test. Increased blood sugar readings duration of meds Lactic Acidosis

July 4, 2014 4:17 AM

Review by Pasquale51 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Diabetes, Type 2: Have been on metformin for most of 7 years. I have not experienced any side effects as far as I can tell. It helps control my blood sugar. But the most effective control I have is diet. I was eating healthy and exercising regularly until about 2 years ago. Had my A1c down to 5.9. Got lazy and now it is in the 7's. Also have arthritis in knees and it is hard to exercise. I take 2500mg a day.

June 26, 2014 1:35 AM

Review by flicka30:

Glucophage (metformin) for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: I have been on this tablet for 6 months for my polycystic ovarian syndrome and I am now getting period every 28 days on the spot! But 6 months into it I am starting to feel something like a blockage and feeling nausea and vomiting, this normally happens after my dose after dinner time. I am on 1500mg a day and doctor tells me no way it could be the tablet so now have to go for a scope.

May 25, 2014 4:21 PM

Review by Dee1956:

Glucophage XR (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: I have been taking glucophage ER for 4 weeks. The first couple of weeks it made me very sick. I was told this was normal and to try to hold out and the side effects would stop. They seemed to and then the dose was increased and I am sick again. It works really well to get my sugar down. Before I started it was an average of 146 or 6.7 for A1C Now the average is 101. Since it is working I am going to hold on for a few more weeks. I have been told that some people get used to it much faster than I have and some people take a few months.

April 28, 2014 3:59 PM

Review by RobertLease:

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: Severe Diarrhea, unable to do my job because of it.

April 16, 2014 9:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Glucophage (metformin) for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: Side effects had a tremendous role in decreasing quality of life.

March 19, 2014 11:08 PM

Review by LMMRR (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Diabetes, Type 2: Am 53 yr old female, have Type 2 diabetes. Was on metformin for 4 years with good control then developed stomach problems (24/7 nausea). Have a new Endocrinologist and he recommended metformin ER, and after two days I no longer experience the stomach upset. Overall very happy with the medication.

March 19, 2014 3:30 PM

Review by Sum21 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Since my last child 5 years ago my body has been all out of whack piling on the weight, late periods or none at all for months on end, no matter how much I dieted and exercised the weight would not come off. My doctor diagnosed me with depression at first and took bloods to find out I had polycystic ovarian syndrome. I have been prescribed two 500mg doses a day of metformin and at first had quite a bad stomach upset for approximately the first 3 weeks. I am now rolling into my 5th week and feel great. The weights slowly coming off and the side effects are non existent now. Hoping to conceive a child soon if things go to plan.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2014 11:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I have been taking 1000mg Metformin ER once per day for 3 weeks now. Experienced barely any side effects about from a little nausea for 2 days but nothing more after that (for anyone experiencing nausea, my gyno really emphasised to take it with a meal to stop you from feeling that way). I feel great while taking it and have lost 4.5 kilo's already (with moderate exercise). I haven't had a period in 104 days. But have been feeling some cramps the last few days, so hopefully the metformin will begin to regulate my crazy cycles.

March 9, 2014 6:11 AM

Review by LillySos (taken for less than 1 month):

Glucophage (metformin) for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: So far, I have been on Glucophage for 2 1/2 weeks for Insulin Resistance due to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I had a little nausea and diarrhea the first two days. By day three or four, I had no more negative side effects. It worked very quickly, I quickly began to lose weight and started menstruating again. My skin also began to clear up within the first week. Glucophage helps so many of the terrible issues caused by PCOS. I need more time to better evaluate the medicine, but so far it is like a miracle. If it is taken with food, the side effects are negligible.

January 26, 2014 9:34 PM

Review by tiarra (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: I started taking this medication about 3 months ago because I'm prediabetic, I had no side effects & has worked great

January 19, 2014 11:23 PM

Review by anaheart:

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: Metformin they say makes you hyper-fertile. Yea, I agree. My hormones got a little wacky for a week or so. I've calmed down now and feel pretty good. I take the dose up slow, only one 500mg pill for seven days before adding one more 500 mg for another seven and so forth until I reach four pills a day. I noticed that without using any lantus that my blood sugar readings were lower. Not low enough however to discontinue the lantus. I noticed while on lantus alone I never felt all that chipper. When I started the metformin my moods improved dramatically and I became a much happier person. The diarrhea did not last long, but did return when I increased the dose. Getting used to the pils nowl and bowels returned to normal.

November 2, 2013 12:06 PM

Review by ElleBee:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome 18 years ago. My experience has been horrible. Very irregular cycles. Ranging from massive bloat, extreme flow, severe cramps, night sweats and facial hair. I maybe have 3 periods every 2 years. Finally my doctor put me on Metformin. The side effects for me are pretty bad. Mainly stomach pain and diarrhea. I work through it because I know my body will adjust. I've heard great things about this medicine and I'm willing go through a little discomfort to improve my irregular cycle.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2013 4:16 PM