User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Insulin Resistance Syndrome 19 reviews 14 medications

Diabetes, Type 2 93 reviews 126 medications

6.7
Summary of Metformin reviews 240 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Metformin

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I had my son at the age of 18yrs old. Soon after my period stop. For yrs. I try different doctors and they didn't know why my period just stopped. Some Doctors even told me I had gone though menopause. Ridiculous!!!! I'm 32yrs now over weight and I was diagnosed with pcos I started on metformin 500mg/1x. I hope I get my period and I hope I to get pregnant. I enjoy reading other people story I thought I share mine too. It's good to know I'm not the only one going through this. I will update my results!!!"

Fingurecross readers February 4, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have been taking metformin for 6 months along with birth control pills I've lost 18 pounds in those 6 months I was taking 1000 everyday in Sept 2015 but in DEC 2015 the doc increased me to 1500mg I do still have side effects I haven't become pregnant I'm scared to let the birth control pills go because I'm scared my period won't come on naturally I am pleased with my weight loss I went from 299-281 and I hope to keep losing. I'll let the birth control pills go when I've lost a little more weight. My pcos have been a problem since I was 17 I'm now 35 I hope I can a least conceive one child of my own"

Toy2012 February 4, 2016

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "I started a daily dose of 1000 mg Metformin about 3 weeks ago. I take 500 mg with breakfast and 500 with dinner. I have already noticed more mental clarity and energy, and a few pounds starting to come off. The first 2 weeks, I didn't have any negative symptoms (it was wonderful!!!) But now, as it is becoming more absorbed into my system, I'm having extreme nausea and dizziness. I supplement this with extremely large amounts of water and protein when I feel this way. It seems to help slightly and it eventually passes within an hour or so, but I'm hoping these side effects will pass when my body becomes truly adjusted. Aside from that, I'm very grateful for the positive effects of Metformin!!"

SashaQ (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Contols sugar levels at 100mg 2x w meal. Usual side effects + loss of concentration & very "spacey"..."

J.K. January 23, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "pcos diagnosis at 25, weight issues, irregular periods, cystic ovaries. No medication. At 26 I fell pregnant naturally to my first and only (hopefully only so far) and after I gave birth I really copped the brunt of my PCOS. Even though I breastfed I went an entire year without a period so Dr put on metformin 500mg a day. Within a week my periods started again and have been semi-regular since (only ever off by a max of 3 days at my due date). My anxiety and depression calmed down dramatically too. I have experienced weight loss on the medication but only through hard work, not with some of the ease I have read about. I did also experience the digestive complaints, but mainly when I took the medication on an empty stomach. They do ease."

Tink85 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 21, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Actually I was diagnosed with PCOS in which I have few symptoms like unwanted hair growth, hair fall. But my weight did not increase. And I don't have acne problems. So I want to confirm what should I do to over come from this problem"

Malu cherry January 20, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Here is my story I was having irregular periods when I was 16 year old so the Dr put me on birth control pills. When I was 17 or 18 years old I found out I had fibroids, pre- diabetes , high blood pressure so I was on metfromin, birth control pill and high blood pressure for 12 years I decide last year in August 2015 to stop taking my birth control pill ... I decide to take progrestrone cream, vitex, metformin and my period came on mid September 2015 I starting crying and praying my period last about 6 days... So October, November and December I missed my periods it finally came January 1, 2016 I was taking progrestrone cream, vitex, black cohosh, vitamin c, metformin .. So I hope end of this month my period start"

Parisw January 18, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have sat here and read all your reviews. I was diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago to be honest haven't done much. I do have 2 kids. Why am i here? For those of you who want to have a baby you should try seed rotation along with your metformin. Pcos is a hormonal imbalance which the seeds WILL regulate allowing you to conceive. I have not started Metformin not until Sat but i do take my seeds regularly and have seen a decrease in hair growth (lighter eventually stopped) as well as weigth loss. I am not curently sexually active but i did recommend it to someone who was having trouble concieve and within 4 months they were pregnant. I am attaching a link so you can read further. Thanks and good luck to everyone!! Stay hopeful "

1001 Problems January 13, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have taken Metformin 500 mg once daily in the last 6 month. Finally I got to the Endocrinology and they put me on 2000 mg per day. Now I am slowly increasing the dose - I had bad diarrhoea, cramps and everything you can imagine! Hopefully the side effects will go away - because otherwise I have no problem with it. Slow but steady weight loss, no more food cravings, and crazy frustration if I can't get my hands on carbs. I noticed I don't really want to eat oily food,junk food....which is brilliant!"

Lonelycauliflower (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I found out I had PCOS in 2013 after trying to get pregnant for 3 yrs! I had started to gain weight slowly over the course of a year "25lbs". My doctor started metformin in August of 2014 and by September dropped 10lbs and by December a total of 28lbs. I'm 5'2 and that brought me back to about 128, a healthy weight! I found out in Febuary of 2015 I was pregnant!!! I had a healthy baby boy in Oct 2015 and I believe it was metformin!!!"

AmazingTerri December 2, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I started taking metfromin 500mg 2x a day for my pcos.. and im taking this medication for 3 days now and i am experiencing diarrhea.. hopefully this side effect will be gone soon..."

ove24 (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2015

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Seems diarrhea is main culprit with this med. Been taking it 20 months so far, as far as control of diabetes does not seem to have much affect on blood sugar"

Cothrom (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 6, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I am on slow release metformin (1500 mg), & since changing away from the regular type,12 years ago I have zero loose bowels. You must insist to have a chance to try this much better version, if frequently bothered by the standard pills. Even more important, Please look up this fairly obscure nutritional cap...PTEROSTILBENE. It has proven to be a near miracle to free me from diabetes symptoms. I still take metformin, & only a doctor call put you on that med. But it works pretty darn well...but if you take METF along with PTEROSTILBENE, diabetes is largely controlled. Almost like a true cure...except you have to continue both. Pterostibene is found in the skin of blueberries, and a few other plant sources. I take 2 50mg caps,daily. Morn.& night"

Allan the Vet November 1, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I found out I had PCOS about around June and its October. I am very over weight and I wanna lose weight but nothings working but this med helping keep my pcos under control I'm now taking 1000mg"

manda/nunu October 25, 2015

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "I have been on this medication about 3 years up until recently no problem it helped me to lose weight and manage my insulin resistance well. Then I got rare serious side effect lactic acidosis which occurs in 1 out of 10,000 people. unlucky me. now after being treated for the lactic acidosis I try to take the medication again and it makes me feel really unwell and ill. I miss being able to take it. Maybe I will be able to take something different instead because I can't leave my Insulin Resistance uncontrolled."

SIRS October 14, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with pcos and a bicornate uterus last year! I was put on metformin in the beginning of this year I started at 500mg 2xs a day it became to much and I was always sick so now I have been taken metformin extended release 500mg once a day at night and haven't gotten sick hopefully it works for my husband and I."

Mrs.JMC October 8, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I got diagnosed with PCOS in 7/15. Started metformin HCL ER 1000mg mid August for a week and then bumped up to 1500mg the next week. I am 5'4 and started at 197lb. Now on 10/7/15 I am at 184 so a 13lb loss. I did get diarrhea when I first started but that resolved it's self after a week. I find that I have very little appetite for greasy foods. If anything when I eat unhealthy food I get nauseous so I'm avoiding it now. I go to the gym every once in a while and still managed to loss weight! Meeting my doctor next week to see if weight loss pills are an option!"

Alvacx (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2015

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "Metformin can be harsh on the stomach but if it does not agree with you after a few weeks please please please ask for slow release version, your problems will be solved."

Jul1e October 6, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "This medicine does wonders with making my blood sugar lower; however, I had extreme diarrhea and I felt nauseous for awhile. My doctor put me on slow release and while it helped me with diarrhea, my blood sugar would always be higher so I switch back to the regular kind and I am still having extreme diarrhea. Other than that this medicine is great."

samobu (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I was diagnosed in 2010 as "borderline" Type 2 and given Met 500mg dose 1 x day at breakfast. I was overweight and already being treated for Hypothyroidism with Levothyroxine sodium. after several months on it I started losing muscle strength and tiring easily, sleeping in afternoons, something I'd never done before. My husband was also on it 2 or 3x 800 mg per day,I don't remember now, but having been diagnosed years earlier in UK. he was ok on it, despite also being on French equivalent of Warfarin, and something else, since his triple bypass op in 2008. So same drug doesn't always suit everyone, depending on other health factors. I ended up with a swollen spleen after taking Metformin, so took myself off it just B4 scan confirmed it!"

Sambs October 4, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 22. I opted to have a child and there was no difficulty. PCOS didn't bother me not until the year 2013. My weight increased from 48kg to 55kg and this year 2015 to 66kg not to mention the acne and hair growths and infertility. Missed my periods for 6 month now. this causes me depression and insecurity. I am starting to take metformin today at 500mg/day and I am hoping that this will help me just like to others with PCOS.will update soon..."

sld29 September 12, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS about two years ago with my lack of energy, weight gain and irregular periods. I started on 500mg/day, then slowly upped the dose to now taking 2000mg/day. I have been on 2000mg/day for over a month now and still feel awful side effects. I am always nauseous, burping, indigestion, heartburn, diarrhrea, reduced sex drive (due to previously mentioned side effects), joint pain, loss of appetite, weakness... the list goes on. I am already low weight so feeling ill and not having an appetite is concerning. Also my period has not become more regular and in fact has become worse. When I was on just 500mg/day I felt fantastic so the doctor kept increasing the dose. I think I will go back down to a lower dose or stop"

LMS77 September 1, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was way over weight I hated the way I looked and the way I felt. Then I had a small stroke and I then found out that I also had type 2 diabetes. A few months later I had two heart attacks my doctor put me on metformin to help with my sugar but I started losing weight slowly. I also started working out a little at a time. Now to date I have lost 92 pounds with in a year. Metformin may not work as well for you if you don't work out and go for walks but if you watch what you eat and how much slowly reduce the amount of food you eat go for walks and work out metformin will help , the first few weeks can be hard as your body adjust to it but that will pass. I feel great - I got my health back thank you metformin for the help !"

DesiKnecht August 31, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Following a miscarriage in November 2014, my Dr. had be on folic acid for 9 months before running some blood work tests. Found out I had PCOS the 20th of August after the results came back and started Metformin HCL the same day. I take 850 mg once a day and I found taking halfway through my meal has done away with 99% of the side effects. I know it's only been 10 days since I started it, but I feel less hungry and like I don't crave the junk food I did before. Here's to hoping it works!"

JWilson928 August 30, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Have been on Metformin for years and up to 1000 with an A1C of 8.7 currently. Glucose at doctor's office 87 one day and at next follow up with family doctor was 186,,,endocrinologist prescribed Actos to get A1C down. Also on other meds. Lipitor, Cosaar for BP, and new drug, Otezla for psoriatic arthritis along with UVB treatments. Taking vitamins to support heart, supplements, calcium, vitamin C, B supplements, acidophilus, co-Q, ear drops and ointments dimethesone and ketacodnisone from dermatologist for psoriasis. Had adjustment period with Metformin. Hands have been extremely painful with swelling and severe joint pain and swelling concentrated in left hand, ring finger. New Rheumatologist recently diagnosed psoriatic arthritis."

Joy-see August 29, 2015