User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Female Infertility 5 reviews 23 medications

6.4
Summary of Metformin reviews 124 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Metformin

Review by RobertLease: User Rating:

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: Severe Diarrhea, unable to do my job because of it.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 16, 2014 9:40 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Glucophage (metformin) for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: Side effects had a tremendous role in decreasing quality of life.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 19, 2014 11:08 PM
Review by LMMRR (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: Am 53 yr old female, have Type 2 diabetes. Was on metformin for 4 years with good control then developed stomach problems (24/7 nausea). Have a new Endocrinologist and he recommended metformin ER, and after two days I no longer experience the stomach upset. Overall very happy with the medication.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 19, 2014 3:30 PM
Review by Sum21 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Since my last child 5 years ago my body has been all out of whack piling on the weight, late periods or none at all for months on end, no matter how much I dieted and exercised the weight would not come off. My doctor diagnosed me with depression at first and took bloods to find out I had polycystic ovarian syndrome. I have been prescribed two 500mg doses a day of metformin and at first had quite a bad stomach upset for approximately the first 3 weeks. I am now rolling into my 5th week and feel great. The weights slowly coming off and the side effects are non existent now. Hoping to conceive a child soon if things go to plan.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 9, 2014 11:13 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I have been taking 1000mg Metformin ER once per day for 3 weeks now. Experienced barely any side effects about from a little nausea for 2 days but nothing more after that (for anyone experiencing nausea, my gyno really emphasised to take it with a meal to stop you from feeling that way). I feel great while taking it and have lost 4.5 kilo's already (with moderate exercise). I haven't had a period in 104 days. But have been feeling some cramps the last few days, so hopefully the metformin will begin to regulate my crazy cycles.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 9, 2014 6:11 AM
Review by LillySos (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Glucophage (metformin) for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: So far, I have been on Glucophage for 2 1/2 weeks for Insulin Resistance due to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I had a little nausea and diarrhea the first two days. By day three or four, I had no more negative side effects. It worked very quickly, I quickly began to lose weight and started menstruating again. My skin also began to clear up within the first week. Glucophage helps so many of the terrible issues caused by PCOS. I need more time to better evaluate the medicine, but so far it is like a miracle. If it is taken with food, the side effects are negligible.

January 26, 2014 9:34 PM
Review by tiarra (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

metformin for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: I started taking this medication about 3 months ago because I'm prediabetic, I had no side effects & has worked great

January 19, 2014 11:23 PM
Review by anaheart: User Rating:

metformin for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: Metformin they say makes you hyper-fertile. Yea, I agree. My hormones got a little wacky for a week or so. I've calmed down now and feel pretty good. I take the dose up slow, only one 500mg pill for seven days before adding one more 500 mg for another seven and so forth until I reach four pills a day. I noticed that without using any lantus that my blood sugar readings were lower. Not low enough however to discontinue the lantus. I noticed while on lantus alone I never felt all that chipper. When I started the metformin my moods improved dramatically and I became a much happier person. The diarrhea did not last long, but did return when I increased the dose. Getting used to the pils nowl and bowels returned to normal.

November 2, 2013 12:06 PM
Review by ElleBee: User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome 18 years ago. My experience has been horrible. Very irregular cycles. Ranging from massive bloat, extreme flow, severe cramps, night sweats and facial hair. I maybe have 3 periods every 2 years. Finally my doctor put me on Metformin. The side effects for me are pretty bad. Mainly stomach pain and diarrhea. I work through it because I know my body will adjust. I've heard great things about this medicine and I'm willing go through a little discomfort to improve my irregular cycle.

October 16, 2013 4:16 PM
Review by Not loving it (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

metformin for Female Infertility: I must be the small percentage who seems to suffer all side effects. I have had the diarrhea, sweats, insomnia, stomach pain, weight loss, and the list goes on. I'm on 1.5 pills per day and have to find a way to work myself up to 3 pills a day. I suffer from polycystic ovarian syndrome and endometriosis and am hoping this will help with that and my infertility.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 21, 2013 4:30 PM
Review by Alyssa911: User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: After 6 months of taking the extended release metformin my cycle started and had being on point for the past 4 months. My acne has begun to clear and I feel better. Now begins my diet and exercise to drop excess weight. Unfortunately for my hair what has grown out will not go away, but I was also given spironolactone to prevent any more from growing until then waxing and plucking will work. Hope my review helped!

September 4, 2013 12:20 PM
Review by Swirley (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: It has been helpful with my sugar but I sweat most of time. This may be a side effect and I am dizzy at times.

July 30, 2013 2:24 PM
Review by vjm: User Rating:

metformin for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: I had been prescribed metformin for weight loss and being pre-diabetic. My GP wanted to treat it aggressively. Also slightly hypoglycemic. I had taken it religiously for about 2 mos. then went off it due to it gave me a metallic taste in my mouth and I just couldn't stand it anymore. For the last month almost everyday, I've felt shaky, weak, fatigued and just weird whenever I was hungry and after almost every meal. (My blood sugar sometimes goes down way too low after eating). I decided this morning that maybe I should be back on the metformin so I took 1 at breakfast. Well I don't know if 1 pill can do it, but within an hour I've felt better than I have in months. The shaky weak feeling completely went away and I had a ton of energy since.

July 28, 2013 11:33 PM
Review by J. Copeland: User Rating:

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: I've had Type-2 Diabetes for a few years.. and have gained over 100lbs. I have been on the Metformin for a month and have lost 28lbs. Glucophage is amazing but I will admit at first I was very sick. After a about a week I started to feel normal again.

July 26, 2013 2:10 PM
Review by troy467 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: Metformin 1000mg x2 daily. Works okay to lower sugar levels.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 12, 2013 12:24 PM
Review by Cheerfulabby (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: I have been on the max dose for many years, I also am on insulin. I am not very healthy, I tire easily and have a lot of stomach problems. The more I read about the side effects,the more I realize that metformin is not that good for a person.

June 15, 2013 3:06 PM
Review by larry555 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: Does not keep the sugar from spiking

May 15, 2013 5:03 AM
Review by Frustrated PCOS Lady (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I have had diagnosed Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome since 1991. Years of problems. I tried Metformin the first time around 1995 and it did nothing. I had weight loss surgery in 2010 and got to just below 200 lbs. Hormones actually got worse with weight loss and a year later to the day, I had a full hysterectomy. 6 months later my only ovary started kicking into overdrive. Crazy hormones, cravings and of course ruptured cysts...all the time. Doc decided to try metformin and said it could be different this time. After a week I noticed great results. 2 weeks in I got so nauseated that I thought I had the flu. Then the headaches. They tried to diagnose me with migraines at the age of 42. It was the Metformin.

April 9, 2013 3:17 PM
Review by martere15 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: Helped to control my diabetes. No side effects now I am in the normal range.

February 8, 2013 2:58 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: Horrible diarrhea. Couldn't leave the house.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 4, 2013 8:43 PM
Review by Toria Lynn: User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome 2 years ago. Unfortunately it took several doctors and a 150 pound weight gain for someone to realize what was going on. During the 2 years since I was diagnosed my doctor has had me try everything and nothing has helped. Finally she decide to give me metformin. I've been on it for 10 days now. I'm currently only up to 1000 mg, but I've already lost 5 pounds. I've hardly had any side effects. Also my facial hair growth has slowed and I'm breaking out less.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 15, 2013 9:51 PM
Review by dickydoo: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: This medicine caused erectile dysfunction and causes weight gain and sluggishness!

January 11, 2013 11:34 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: Gave me diarrhea.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 7, 2012 1:04 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Metformin has been great. I am lucky and have not had any of the gastrointestinal upset I was warned about. It has aided in my weight loss and help curb my carb cravings.

November 18, 2012 12:00 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: I'm a 62 year old male. Some years back, I was experiencing a very dry mouth and frequent urination. I had my blood sugar level measured and it was at 350 so I was prescribed Metformin. The Metformin brought my sugar level down to about 150 but gave me a very bad upset stomach. The nausea wasn't temporary for me. It didn't clear up even after taking the metformin for weeks. However, I did find a solution to the problem. I switched from the regular fast acting metformin to the extended release metformin XR. The difference was like night and day. I have had no nausea at all using the metformin XR. If you're having stomach problems using regular metformin, I suggest trying the extended release version. I now take 2000 mg of metform XR daily.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 12, 2012 1:19 PM