User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Insulin Resistance Syndrome 21 reviews 14 medications

Diabetes, Type 2 101 reviews 134 medications

6.6
Summary of Metformin reviews 264 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Metformin

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been on this medication a mere 4 days. I have gained 7 pounds in that time. l also feel extremely bloated. I also had an upset stomach for the first two days. I am getting off of it immediately!! I must be on of the lucky ones it is not working well for me at all."

details May 26, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Have taken combo Metformin-glyburide and had large stools, with Metformin-glypizide have some problem with the "consistency" of long stools (hard to get and stay clean); otherwise, a miracle drug in glucose level control and muscle tone & weight control."

Horseshoe7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 21, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "It has not lowered my A1C. My glucose levels stay in the 120-140 range. I have had increased sweats, and i am 66 yrs. old, increased hunger and weight gain, nervousness."

Bev T (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 18, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have been taking metformin for only a week. But that being said I have noticed straight away the changes that it has made. I have had pcos since I was 19 I am now 27 I have never had any medication for my PCOS. I had gone to my doctors as I was stressed about the fact I had not had my period in over 4 months. As I have ben quite regular considering here and there a few misses etc. At the start of taking the medication I was quite sick but that lasted two days I have decreased in appetite and my period actually came! so so far so good. Soon I will be on a higher dose as I am currently on one tablet! fingers crossed it keeps working! I know its only one week in but to be already getting good results I just had to share."

liv271989 May 6, 2016

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "I started metformin April 28, 2016. The first two weeks I was taking 1000 mg each morning after Breakfast. My doctor then added an additional 1000 mg each morning on the third week. I experienced very mild nausea and stomach upset, going into the fifth week I started having this weird thing to happen...as I took steps in walking I would get this quick catch pain on the inside of my upper thigh to the right of my pubic where the leg connects...and I would be afraid to take long strides. I did lose 9 pounds in thirty days. I'm not craving too many sweets as my appetite has diminished."

Michelle714 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Sugar still 170 ish , Taking 250mg 2x /day with food and plenty of water , was supposed to exercise also but can't due to stomach pain very bad, achey joint , blurred vision and did i mention stomach pain very bad. If Dr don't call me back today , Im off this crap . I feel worse now than I did 2 weeks ago. Several times worse."

FootMan (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "This drug can kill you. One of the worst reactions to a medication that I've ever experienced. Last Saturday, I could hardly walk out of a store as the muscle contractions grew worse and the pressure in my chest increased. And ER visit followed and a week later, I am still weak. It did not get out of my system in 24, 48 nor 72 hours. Watch this drug closely when you are given it for treatment, especially if you have already had physical symptoms that are similar to some of its side effects. And yes, I had the diarrhea, the spasms which ran up into my torso and the nausea but I tried working through it all. I could barely lift my arms last Saturday and I was in pain from my feet to the top of my head. There was no comfortable place"

ChapKat (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I took metformin and after one month I was pregnant with b/g twins. No twins in my family or my partners. I met a woman the other day who was pregnant with fraternal twins after taking met for pcos."

Jayne86 April 12, 2016

Glucophage XR (metformin) for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "Blood glucose and HbA1C were normal. LDL cholesterol and triglycerides were low HDL cholesterol increased. There was weight loss with metformin."

arnsussek (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "My mother is on this drug and it has done wonders for her. Her insulin is controlled and she has lost a significant amount of weight on it. She is so happy and feels amazing on it. No negative side effects. Thank you makers of metformin. The doctor who prescribed it was so knowledgeable and he really helped my mom adjust and overcome the diagnosis."

Anonj26 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2016

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "diarrhea so bad I lost control at work 3 times and had to go home. never again I don't care if I die from diabetes."

sandyjz April 7, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I love all the reviews here. Love seeing how open women are to discussing such a personal issue. So here's my story, I never had regular periods, maybe 2-3x times a year. I got married at the age of 24 and after a year or two of trying I went to a doctor and she said it may be pcos. Never really went back to that doctor(wasn't crazy about her). At the age of 28, I said enough is enough, headed to a fertility clinic where they definitely said I had pcos. They started me on metformin as well as Ovasitol (a supplement for women with pcos...it's pretty new, however ladies these 2 together....MIRACLE!!!!) after just 5 months on these 2 drugs and one round of femara(a pill you take for 3-5 days that help with ovulation) I was pregnant. good luck!"

Reyes7786 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with pcos a few weeks ago after never having regular periods. I was put on provera to make me bleed 3 weeks later and still no bleeding.With metformin I haven't had any side effects and haven't lost any weigh and still no pregnancy. feeling very down about this I'm only 22. "

CHELSKII (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 13, I haven't had a natural period in YEARS. 5 days ago,I started Metformin 500mg a day, and today "Aunt Flo" came to town, not only that but I only down 5lbs in 5days and I feel pretty amazing right now. It has been a GREAT week!!"

Arries March 26, 2016

For Female Infertility: "Tried ivf 4 times to no avail. Took this the fifth time and it worked! I was never diagnosed with pcos.Don't think I have it. Don't know why metformin worked but it is awesome. Makes me feel full and gives me diarrhea but whatever."

Jr916 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Well 8 months later still on metformin I've lost a total of 20pds and for the first time I received my period on its own I'm currently not taking any birth control pills I'm so happy so maybe I'll be reporting a baby next time I've gotta my a1c down to 5.9 I'm taking 2000ml of metformin"

toy2012 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 24, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "My husband and I were trying to have a child for seven years and we had no success. I was diagnosed with PCOS and I was put on Metformin. Four months later I was pregnant. It was such a wonder for us, as I had 2 cycles of Chlomid (unsuccessfully). I hope this will help someone else because infertility can be heartbreaking."

Mommyfortwo March 11, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have been suffering from PCOS since I was 12, though I was not properly diagnosed until I was 25. I have been on and off Metformin from the age of 25 til now. I suffer from no periods, weight gain, anxiety, depression, unwanted hair, thinning hair, etc. I started back on Metformin May 2015. I was put on Extended Release this time, and I have not suffered from any of the known side effects. Which such a great thing. I am currently on 1000mg a day. I have lost a few pounds but I went about 2 months of not being on the medicine because of other unrelated illnesses. I have had a regular period every month since being on the Metformin!"

Cookie1985 March 8, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "After trying to conceive for a year , miscarriage and weird periods I was diagnosed with PCOS .. Doctor started me on 500 mg a day I'm currently 4 days away from completing the month, and I've lost 9 pounds! Literally without trying ! No excessive exercising or anything. I've not had any negative side effects. None. I have felt fuller and don't have the urge to eat all the time. I no longer crave sweets or greasy food. All my pms symptoms are completely gone! I don't feel like sleeping through the day anymore, I feel like I have way more energy, I feel normal again for once. I am so thankful that my doctor immediately diagnosed me and gave me this medication! He's going to up my dose to 1000 mg for the next 3 months, I truly can't wait!"

Wendy0414 March 4, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Grade 9 I was given birth control (BC) to regulate my periods as I could not naturally create them on my own. On and off BC for a few years testing to see if naturally I would get it - no luck. Advised to remain on BC until I wanted to have children, as this would keep my PCOS symptoms and hormone levels regulated. I am now 30 and needed to stop taking BC because of excessive weight gain and mood swings. I was prescribed Metformin from my family doctor Feb 16th (gradually working up to 1000mg 1/2 pill increase weekly). February 26th I got my first natural period since Grade 9. AMAZING! Side affects stomach pains, diarrhea and nausea, manageable with good diet - hope to have success with weight loss like others I've read below. Good Luck!"

TNinja (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have been off and on birth control since 2011 to regulate my period. After being off birth control for 6 months I went to the doctor for refills except this time he prescribed birth control and metformin. I have been taking 500mg a day for the past 5 days and it has been absolute HELL! I feel bloated and weak all day. I feel nauseous all the time which also discourages me from eating. And when I do eat I get stomach aches and occasionally diarrhea. Also I already had sleeping problem but now it's cramps and tossing and turning all night. But I think the worst for me is the bloating, I constantly feel like I just ate a whole cow! Its so uncomfortable! Eventually I'll have to take 1000mg. Hoping the side effects decrease."

Karla15 (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Crazy crazy itchy skin with a rash..."

Bee89 February 17, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Fasting sugars still high. Even at an increased dose to 1000 mg/2x day. From day 1, I had diarrhea, which did not abate. Ended up with excruciating painful fissures and had to have surgery. Recovery time was awful. All due to metformin."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hi All, I have never had a regular period since I was 13 .Probably only got my period twice a year since I was 13 and when it eventually came it was really bad. Got married in 2010 and started trying for a baby. Got pregnant in Jan of 2011 even without having regular periods but unfortunately I miscarried. Was only diagnosed in late 2012 with PCOS and went onto Glucophage in august 2011. With the help my wonderful doc I conceived in November of the same year and delivered a health baby boy in August of 2012. Glucophage was really helpful to me and I would really ask all you ladies to keep the faith and stay on even if it makes you sick for a while."

Mel B February 15, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I had my son at the age of 18yrs old. Soon after my period stop. For yrs. I try different doctors and they didn't know why my period just stopped. Some Doctors even told me I had gone though menopause. Ridiculous!!!! I'm 32yrs now over weight and I was diagnosed with pcos I started on metformin 500mg/1x. I hope I get my period and I hope I to get pregnant. I enjoy reading other people story I thought I share mine too. It's good to know I'm not the only one going through this. I will update my results!!!"

Fingurecross readers February 4, 2016