User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Female Infertility 5 reviews 23 medications

6.5
Summary of Metformin reviews 135 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Metformin

Review by AnonAnonAnon (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Diabetes, Type 2: It took 1000mg twice a day to knock my sugars down about 100 points, A1C of 10 to around 7 in a few months. Probably would have done better with other lifestyle changes. I'd actually rate metformin a dang good laxative more than a diabetic med, but ahh well. I got used to it, and that side effect helped me eat less.

September 16, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by Stevehami:

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: My husband was diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome and prescribed 4 metformin a day by an Endocrinologist after being misdiagnosed by our GP for hypothyroidism for months and being extremely tired and depressed. He had gained so much belly fat...and was 207 and 5ft 3 in!, not good. But after being one month on the Metformin he lost 20 lbs. this was in addition to limiting carbs in his diet. He feels so much better. He has so much more energy. And the weight continues to melt right off of his belly. We are so glad we decided to go to the Endocrinologist. He was spot on! In a few months I will have my slim husband back.

September 6, 2014 12:49 AM

Review by _rlm_ (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diabetes, Type 2: (54) yr old male: Metformin worked very quickly to lower my blood glucose levels from almost 400 to progressively down to avg of 130 within 10 days. My only complaint is the side effect of very noticeable BLURRED vision and soreness around my eyes. I have always been blessed to have 20/20 vision so this is not something I am used to. I am willing to deal with this side effect as long as my glucose levels are back to normal. As we all know, a lifestyle change with regard to diet and exercise is a MUST. My situation was a "wake up call" and my plans are to eventually be weaned off Metformin within 6 months. Be encouraged and don't give up.

September 1, 2014 9:47 PM

Review by clarieh:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I have been on metformin ( the regular one) 850mg once a day at night since May 2014 for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. The first day I took it I had the worst explosive diarrhea. I persisted with it and it was giving me bouts of nausea, stomach cramps, poor sleep and diarrhea. It has been 3 months now and the symptoms have stopped. I think if you persist at it, and definitely take it after a meal, it will be okay! My periods are still being artificially controlled with norethisterone daily so I can't comment if metformin has regulated my menses, but I am hoping to stop the norethisterone soon!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2014 3:22 AM

Review by mimi3515:

For Diabetes, Type 2: Ongoing diarrhea

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 3, 2014 2:10 PM

Review by Mason25 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: My story is similar to those who have posted. I gained A LOT of weight, and had unwanted hair growth due to the polycystic ovarian syndrome. I've been on metformin for almost 3 weeks and have lost 13lbs. The day I started the metformin, I also started a low carb diet. Prior to metformin, I couldn't control my craving for salty, carb filled food. For the past two and a half weeks I have been able to finally control the cravings. My energy levels have increased by 50%. I also waxed the unwanted hair the day I started, and already I have noticed that less is growing back in. I wish I started metformin two years ago because I literally feel like PCOS has taken two years of my life away from me! I hope it works for others as well as it has worked for me.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2014 8:14 PM

Review by metforminuser11118:

For Diabetes, Type 2: Taking 1000 mg 2x per day, with breakfast, with dinner. Prescribed for type 2 diabetes. First blood test for bringing down glucose levels after beginning this medicine treatment will be in six or eight weeks. Was already dieting intensively when I started using the metformin and it has definitely made losing weight easier. I drink loads of water and coffee between meals. Breakfast: small bowl of oatmeal; snack at 11: one piece of fruit; lunch at 1:30, 4 or 5 scrambled egg whites and a whole grain cracker; dinner, slice turkey, vegetables; evening snack: more fruit and nuts. I need to do more exercise for many reasons, but I've gone from 253 to 211 in a year; only been using metformin for six weeks.

July 25, 2014 4:55 PM

Review by Dibbles1 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diabetes, Type 2: Newly diagnosed Diabetes Type 2 from a HbA1c. No symptoms. Good kidney function, etc. My Full Blood Glucose was 5.3/5.7 in the morning. Took half a 500mg Metformin XR with my meal. 1 hour: tightness of throat/breathing, slight, but enough. Then a migraine aura like I've never had in my life. Followed by the worst dehydration headache ever for 24 hours, despite drinking plenty. Extremely thirsty, and frequent urination, even at night. Diarrhea the following morning. Took another 250mg, half a tablet the following day with main meal. Next morning: pain round lower ribs, ache to liver & kidneys. Overlying muscles felt torn/pulled. Continued kidney/liver pain & loss of kidney function by urine test. Increased blood sugar readings duration of meds Lactic Acidosis

July 4, 2014 4:17 AM

Review by Pasquale51 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Diabetes, Type 2: Have been on metformin for most of 7 years. I have not experienced any side effects as far as I can tell. It helps control my blood sugar. But the most effective control I have is diet. I was eating healthy and exercising regularly until about 2 years ago. Had my A1c down to 5.9. Got lazy and now it is in the 7's. Also have arthritis in knees and it is hard to exercise. I take 2500mg a day.

June 26, 2014 1:35 AM

Review by flicka30:

Glucophage (metformin) for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: I have been on this tablet for 6 months for my polycystic ovarian syndrome and I am now getting period every 28 days on the spot! But 6 months into it I am starting to feel something like a blockage and feeling nausea and vomiting, this normally happens after my dose after dinner time. I am on 1500mg a day and doctor tells me no way it could be the tablet so now have to go for a scope.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2014 4:21 PM

Review by Dee1956:

Glucophage XR (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: I have been taking glucophage ER for 4 weeks. The first couple of weeks it made me very sick. I was told this was normal and to try to hold out and the side effects would stop. They seemed to and then the dose was increased and I am sick again. It works really well to get my sugar down. Before I started it was an average of 146 or 6.7 for A1C Now the average is 101. Since it is working I am going to hold on for a few more weeks. I have been told that some people get used to it much faster than I have and some people take a few months.

April 28, 2014 3:59 PM

Review by RobertLease:

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: Severe Diarrhea, unable to do my job because of it.

April 16, 2014 9:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Glucophage (metformin) for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: Side effects had a tremendous role in decreasing quality of life.

March 19, 2014 11:08 PM

Review by LMMRR (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Diabetes, Type 2: Am 53 yr old female, have Type 2 diabetes. Was on metformin for 4 years with good control then developed stomach problems (24/7 nausea). Have a new Endocrinologist and he recommended metformin ER, and after two days I no longer experience the stomach upset. Overall very happy with the medication.

March 19, 2014 3:30 PM

Review by Sum21 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Since my last child 5 years ago my body has been all out of whack piling on the weight, late periods or none at all for months on end, no matter how much I dieted and exercised the weight would not come off. My doctor diagnosed me with depression at first and took bloods to find out I had polycystic ovarian syndrome. I have been prescribed two 500mg doses a day of metformin and at first had quite a bad stomach upset for approximately the first 3 weeks. I am now rolling into my 5th week and feel great. The weights slowly coming off and the side effects are non existent now. Hoping to conceive a child soon if things go to plan.

March 9, 2014 11:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I have been taking 1000mg Metformin ER once per day for 3 weeks now. Experienced barely any side effects about from a little nausea for 2 days but nothing more after that (for anyone experiencing nausea, my gyno really emphasised to take it with a meal to stop you from feeling that way). I feel great while taking it and have lost 4.5 kilo's already (with moderate exercise). I haven't had a period in 104 days. But have been feeling some cramps the last few days, so hopefully the metformin will begin to regulate my crazy cycles.

March 9, 2014 6:11 AM

Review by LillySos (taken for less than 1 month):

Glucophage (metformin) for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: So far, I have been on Glucophage for 2 1/2 weeks for Insulin Resistance due to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I had a little nausea and diarrhea the first two days. By day three or four, I had no more negative side effects. It worked very quickly, I quickly began to lose weight and started menstruating again. My skin also began to clear up within the first week. Glucophage helps so many of the terrible issues caused by PCOS. I need more time to better evaluate the medicine, but so far it is like a miracle. If it is taken with food, the side effects are negligible.

January 26, 2014 9:34 PM

Review by tiarra (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: I started taking this medication about 3 months ago because I'm prediabetic, I had no side effects & has worked great

January 19, 2014 11:23 PM

Review by anaheart:

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: Metformin they say makes you hyper-fertile. Yea, I agree. My hormones got a little wacky for a week or so. I've calmed down now and feel pretty good. I take the dose up slow, only one 500mg pill for seven days before adding one more 500 mg for another seven and so forth until I reach four pills a day. I noticed that without using any lantus that my blood sugar readings were lower. Not low enough however to discontinue the lantus. I noticed while on lantus alone I never felt all that chipper. When I started the metformin my moods improved dramatically and I became a much happier person. The diarrhea did not last long, but did return when I increased the dose. Getting used to the pils nowl and bowels returned to normal.

November 2, 2013 12:06 PM

Review by ElleBee:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome 18 years ago. My experience has been horrible. Very irregular cycles. Ranging from massive bloat, extreme flow, severe cramps, night sweats and facial hair. I maybe have 3 periods every 2 years. Finally my doctor put me on Metformin. The side effects for me are pretty bad. Mainly stomach pain and diarrhea. I work through it because I know my body will adjust. I've heard great things about this medicine and I'm willing go through a little discomfort to improve my irregular cycle.

October 16, 2013 4:16 PM

Review by Not loving it (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Female Infertility: I must be the small percentage who seems to suffer all side effects. I have had the diarrhea, sweats, insomnia, stomach pain, weight loss, and the list goes on. I'm on 1.5 pills per day and have to find a way to work myself up to 3 pills a day. I suffer from polycystic ovarian syndrome and endometriosis and am hoping this will help with that and my infertility.

September 21, 2013 4:30 PM

Review by Alyssa911:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: After 6 months of taking the extended release metformin my cycle started and had being on point for the past 4 months. My acne has begun to clear and I feel better. Now begins my diet and exercise to drop excess weight. Unfortunately for my hair what has grown out will not go away, but I was also given spironolactone to prevent any more from growing until then waxing and plucking will work. Hope my review helped!

September 4, 2013 12:20 PM

Review by Swirley (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Diabetes, Type 2: It has been helpful with my sugar but I sweat most of time. This may be a side effect and I am dizzy at times.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2013 2:24 PM

Review by vjm:

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: I had been prescribed metformin for weight loss and being pre-diabetic. My GP wanted to treat it aggressively. Also slightly hypoglycemic. I had taken it religiously for about 2 mos. then went off it due to it gave me a metallic taste in my mouth and I just couldn't stand it anymore. For the last month almost everyday, I've felt shaky, weak, fatigued and just weird whenever I was hungry and after almost every meal. (My blood sugar sometimes goes down way too low after eating). I decided this morning that maybe I should be back on the metformin so I took 1 at breakfast. Well I don't know if 1 pill can do it, but within an hour I've felt better than I have in months. The shaky weak feeling completely went away and I had a ton of energy since.

July 28, 2013 11:33 PM

Review by J. Copeland:

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: I've had Type-2 Diabetes for a few years.. and have gained over 100lbs. I have been on the Metformin for a month and have lost 28lbs. Glucophage is amazing but I will admit at first I was very sick. After a about a week I started to feel normal again.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2013 2:10 PM