User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Metformin review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Insulin Resistance Syndrome.

Reviews for Metformin to treat Insulin Resistance Syndrome

Review by Stevehami:

My husband was diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome and prescribed 4 metformin a day by an Endocrinologist after being misdiagnosed by our GP for hypothyroidism for months and being extremely tired and depressed. He had gained so much belly fat...and was 207 and 5ft 3 in!, not good. But after being one month on the Metformin he lost 20 lbs. this was in addition to limiting carbs in his diet. He feels so much better. He has so much more energy. And the weight continues to melt right off of his belly. We are so glad we decided to go to the Endocrinologist. He was spot on! In a few months I will have my slim husband back.

September 6, 2014 12:49 AM

Review by flicka30:

Glucophage (metformin): I have been on this tablet for 6 months for my polycystic ovarian syndrome and I am now getting period every 28 days on the spot! But 6 months into it I am starting to feel something like a blockage and feeling nausea and vomiting, this normally happens after my dose after dinner time. I am on 1500mg a day and doctor tells me no way it could be the tablet so now have to go for a scope.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2014 4:21 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Glucophage (metformin): Side effects had a tremendous role in decreasing quality of life.

March 19, 2014 11:08 PM

Review by LillySos (taken for less than 1 month):

Glucophage (metformin): So far, I have been on Glucophage for 2 1/2 weeks for Insulin Resistance due to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I had a little nausea and diarrhea the first two days. By day three or four, I had no more negative side effects. It worked very quickly, I quickly began to lose weight and started menstruating again. My skin also began to clear up within the first week. Glucophage helps so many of the terrible issues caused by PCOS. I need more time to better evaluate the medicine, but so far it is like a miracle. If it is taken with food, the side effects are negligible.

January 26, 2014 9:34 PM

Review by tiarra (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking this medication about 3 months ago because I'm prediabetic, I had no side effects & has worked great

January 19, 2014 11:23 PM

Review by anaheart:

Metformin they say makes you hyper-fertile. Yea, I agree. My hormones got a little wacky for a week or so. I've calmed down now and feel pretty good. I take the dose up slow, only one 500mg pill for seven days before adding one more 500 mg for another seven and so forth until I reach four pills a day. I noticed that without using any lantus that my blood sugar readings were lower. Not low enough however to discontinue the lantus. I noticed while on lantus alone I never felt all that chipper. When I started the metformin my moods improved dramatically and I became a much happier person. The diarrhea did not last long, but did return when I increased the dose. Getting used to the pils nowl and bowels returned to normal.

November 2, 2013 12:06 PM

Review by vjm:

I had been prescribed metformin for weight loss and being pre-diabetic. My GP wanted to treat it aggressively. Also slightly hypoglycemic. I had taken it religiously for about 2 mos. then went off it due to it gave me a metallic taste in my mouth and I just couldn't stand it anymore. For the last month almost everyday, I've felt shaky, weak, fatigued and just weird whenever I was hungry and after almost every meal. (My blood sugar sometimes goes down way too low after eating). I decided this morning that maybe I should be back on the metformin so I took 1 at breakfast. Well I don't know if 1 pill can do it, but within an hour I've felt better than I have in months. The shaky weak feeling completely went away and I had a ton of energy since.

July 28, 2013 11:33 PM

Review by Texxan:

My endocrinologist put me on Metformin for what he diagnosed as metabolic syndrome. My general physician sent me to him because he thought I was pre-diabetic. My triglycerides were through the roof....3500 at one point! Prior to starting Metformin I had worked on improving my diet, watching calories and quality of foods I ate and I had seen some moderate weight loss. Once on the metformin, my triglycerides dropped 90% (from 3500 to 350) and the pounds began to drop away....several pounds every few weeks to the point that I am down 42 pounds (from 220 down to 178) in about 4 months. All while still battling my alcohol consumption at 7 to 10 beers a night (99 calories a piece) which is 750 to 1000 calories per night.

April 1, 2012 5:29 PM

Review by tdl86:

I have been taking this medication for 5 years now. It has lowered my insulin levels but they still aren't normal. I have lost 75 pounds and my menstrual cycles has returned to normal. I went almost a year without one at all. I also have hypothyroidism and I think my positive results are from it. I take two 500mg pills twice a day. I have to eat with it or else I will get sick.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 3, 2011 11:09 PM

Review by sheerla:

Metformin is helping me drastically in that it controls my insulin resistance. First side effects were gas and diarreah, and some bad breath, but those have gone away. I recommend this to anyone who has sugar problems!

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2009 5:34 PM