User Reviews for Metformin (Page 3)

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Insulin Resistance Syndrome 21 reviews 14 medications

Diabetes, Type 2 101 reviews 134 medications

6.6
Summary of Metformin reviews 264 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Metformin

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was dx'd with PCOS @18yrs. Didn't start taking metformin until 20 for 3years. I took 500mg 3xdaily. This med helped regulate my cycles and aid weight loss. 30lbs loss in less than a year. And best of all I was able to conceive. Now fast forward to 31yrs old and I'm now back on 500mg once daily to manage my symptoms and to keep the diagnosis of diabetes away. If you can get past the diarrhea, it's a great med that does help."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "its hard to deal with metformin i have been on this drug about 6 months now it does settle but takes a while as they increase you dose every so often but my periods have become more regular and i have lost nearly 2 stone but the side affects are horrible at time but i stuck to it and its really helped me"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Metformin so far has been good to me. I have had no side effects. Most likely because I stick to the diet the doctor prescribed. I stay away from carbs from bread, fried food, and candy and sweets. I mainly eat fruits, veggies, and salads in moderation. I feel really good."

Krissyb112 August 21, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with pcos in June. I started taking metformin 3 weeks and I've noticed a big difference in my appetite. I'm not hungry as often. I have been getting diarrhea and nausea but I have a very sensitive stomach so I'm not surprised. No other changes yet. I'm 4 months late so hopefully it'll bring my period."

Larissa_Vanessa August 18, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I started taking Metformin because it was the last hope to help control my hormones and bring back my cycles. i have PCOS and Endometriosis, and the combination of the 2 is horrible when you cant take HRT. After 3 days of taking it i got my period finally after 113 days late. I am a bit worried as i am underweight and havent got an appetite, but im slowly getting used to them,and will hopefully be eating properly soon. fingers crossed it helps me concieve!!!!"

Ellyrosee August 17, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I am now just over 3 weeks in from starting on metformin and have increased to 1000mg a day, possibly increasing to 1500mg a day tomorrow, I have lost my first stone but I must make it clear that I feel that this is more due to my diet than the metformin, I have been calorie counting with the help of an app and know that I am coming up to my difficult time where I always struggle with my diet at about this stage. I have also been taking provera to try and regulate my bleeding which unfortunately isn't yet giving me the desired effects, I am currently suffering a lot of cramps and heavy bleeding but am trying hard to stick with it by focusing on what I want at the end of all this which is hopefully a successful pregnancy and a healthy baby."

Lucy79 (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS in January 2015 then started metformin in July and got a BFP in August. Metformin helped me ovulate and regulate my menstruals. Very thankful."

Lauradtx August 12, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I don't like this particular brand of Metformin. It doesn't have consistent results. My A1C was down to 5.9 from 11.8 when first diagnosed in 2009 after receiving a round of steroid shots for my back pain. My doctor had put me on a series of different diabetic type 2 meds. They found I was insulin resistance. So, they put me on Actos for about 6 months and that is what got everything under control. I also had a extreme diet change in 4 months I lost 100 lbs. Also helped my numbers. Unfortunately I had a life changing event which required me too move out of state. I just had my urine checked and my kidneys seem to be fine but having major issue when my sugar is 129 -. My A1C has gone up since taking this. Itching, diarrhea, weight gain"

Gemqueen (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 11, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I am 53 and recently dx with "a variant of PCOS." I have struggled with my weight all my life and very severe unwanted hair on face and body. Still, my periods were always regular and I easily conceived two children in my mid-late 30s; both pg were normal, with full term healthy babies. I wasn't terribly surprised when I was dx with type 2 diabetes two years ago. My dr. rx metformin. I started at 500 mg once a day and a year later he upped it to 500mg twice a day. At 1000mg a day, I am finally seeing a decrease in my facial hair. No help with weight loss however. My blood sugar is very well controlled. If I take it with food (low carb) I don't have any problems with side effects."

WaterdogsRule August 10, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and my doctor prescribed Metformin. He had me start with 500mg/day until I feel good enough to increase the dose. The first couple days I was a little nervous so I was very careful not to eat carbs but so far I have had very minimal side effects. I have been taking it for 1 week now and yesterday I increased my dose to 500mg with breakfast and 500mg with dinner (I have the extended release). In the first 4 days I lost 5lbs just because it really helped me feel less bloated and it took away my appetite. I used to think about food 24/7 and constantly crave sweets but I no longer have that issue. So far I feel great on it and I will see how 1500mg/day goes."

MrsR0623 August 6, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Metformin was helped to lower my A1C have had several of the side affect dizzy, metallic taste, dry mouth, and nausea. Having one side affect that I feel should be mentioned kidney functioning at lower levels being sent to a specialist please have kidney function tested"

Tarah Morgan August 4, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "My blood sugar was extremely high (403) and metformin 500mg was prescribed for a 30 day period, to aid getting the blood sugar levels lowered. Within a 24 hour period and after taking 1000mgs, my blood sugar readings was down by 89 points to 314. I've just started on this road, but so far it has been helpful. The side effects for me have been minimal. Severe diarrhea, light headaches."

OneSaucyTrini July 30, 2015

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "I'm giving this a 2 because I've lost some weight. To be honest, it's likely that I've lost weight because of the low carb diet I'm now in to "manage" the side effects of Metformin. This medicine is life ruining. I've become a shut in (I only go to work now) because of the constant no-warning need to use the bathroom. I'm trying to stick with it, but it's awful."

BBBH (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hi, I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 1992 aged just 12, I had a wedge resection and was told that I would probably never have children. I suffered 2 miscarriages before having my son in 1998. Unfortunately I haven't been in a position to have anymore children until now being in a new stable relationship but unfortunately due to my PCOS symptoms and constant (7 months plus) bleeding we have been unable to conceive. I have now being told that both my tubes appear blocked but can't have the surgery to confirm it until I lose 5 and a half stone. I finally was given the ok for metformin just yesterday after months of referrals and appointments so am hoping that it can help me get to my ultimate goal of having another baby."

Lucy79 July 28, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15, I am now 25. I just recently got put on Metformin 500mg 2x daily. I have just about every symptom listed for PCOS and so far the medication only seems to help with my skin disorder acanthosis nigricans. I have it the inside of my elbows and underneath my breasts and down my abdomen. It has made it less noticeable. No luck on reducing the unwanted patches of hair on my chin but tweezers are my best friend. No weight loss at this time either but it has leveled my blood sugars. My only complain is the medication has made me lactose intolerant. Giving up milk and cheese has been hard to where I go off on the medication on the weekend to enjoy food again."

Shelbynos (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was told I had PCOS when I was 19 I'm 27 now it's been a long road. I've been on every birth control, but I've always felt it was a temporary fix for a permanent problem I've been taking metformin for 3 weeks now. I had Really bad gas so I took a heartburn pill when I took the metformin and the side effects went down about 90%. I get a little tired some times, but over all I feel better! I no longer have cravings for chocolate and sweets. Hair growth has gone down! Just remember to drink a lot of water. I'm praying that this medicine really helps woman with polycystic ovaries. Good luck ladys!"

Feeling better about pcos July 27, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have PCOS but do have regular periods. When I started taking Metformin I was 11 stone 7. I have tried to lose weight prior to all this and I have managed to lose half a stone before it slowly starts going back on again - like a yoyo and thats not through letting my diet slip. I have only been on the medication a few days but there has been a noticeable difference in my appetite already. I haven't had any unpleasant side effects apart from a little wind (woops). I weighed myself this morning after taking only 7 tablets (1 500g tab 3x a day) and I am already loosing - 11 stone 4. I will be back to update you with how I get on over the next few weeks. So far so good!"

Twinkle Toes87 (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I've been prescribed metformin for my pcos which I had diagnosed a month ago. I'm a little scared to take it with all the side effects I hear about. My husband and I want to have another baby. My first was born in 2013. I had gestational diabetes which I think was caused by the insulin resistance. I'm hoping for the best. I would love to loose 30 pounds and get my body back which I never had since I was in middle school. I hope this works. How did everyone feel before they stared taking metformin?"

Ttcnumber2withpcos July 20, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have been diagnosed with PCOS for years and have never been given anything for it. I became pregnant in 2003 and now have a beautiful 11 year old. In May 2015 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have been prescribed Metformin. I take 500mg in the morning and 500mg at night. At first I felt pretty yucky from the medicine. Now that my body has gotten used to it I feel fantastic! I just had my first period in months and am finally beginning to feel like myself. I wasn't aware the Metformin works well with PCOS until I did some research on the medication. I'm killing two birds with one stone! Wish it helped with my Hypothyroidism."

ChityRach (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hello :) I was diagnosed with PCOS about 6 months ago and have recently been put onto Metformin. I have had a really good experience with this pill, it has made me feel a little rubbish to begin with but I have gotten used to it. I haven't lost lots of weight but I am currently swimming and running to help make the weight loss quicker. I am 19 years old so it was quite hard to find out that I have PCOS but I knew that it was a possibility because my mum has it. I'm hoping that it will aid in keeping the hair away from my face! After about a month on metformin I have had my first period in 8/9 months and it was one of the best feelings in the world because I was really worried that they wouldn't come back! Hoping that it keeps helping"

Minniesther July 7, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Metallic taste, diarrhea. Need to take medicine before food. Drink a lot of water."

WendyMae July 2, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2013 but did not start taking Metformin seriously until late 2014. I am also prediabetic, which is what has jump started my desire to seriously lose weight. I cannot speak for blood sugar levels as I have not had them rechecked, nor have I gotten my cycle back, but I also have a significant amount of weight to lose first. I definitely experience upset stomach and pretty intense diarrhea; however, this only seems to happen if I do not watch my carb and/or sugar intake. If I eat sensibly, I have little to no issues in the side effect department. I am losing weight and moving more, and hope to one day not need medication anymore."

KeLou June 24, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I Was diagnosed with pcos roughly 5 months ago. I was given birth control to help regulate my period. 4 months after the diagnosis I started metformin the side effects are kicking my butt. I'm nauseous, I have the poops, and no appetite because I'm nauseous. The symptoms were starting to wear off then I started to take 2 a day. And I'm not sure if I like it but I'm going to stick it out and talk to my dr."

nessacakes June 24, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "So 2 months ago I was diagnosed with PCOS. Which my doctor notices feom my ultrasound of my ovaries that I've NEVER ovulated. Since then I've had an HSG text, been on Metformin and am now to my limit of 2,000 mgs, Clomid, and was on Prometrium (progesterone) this last month. This last month my doctor also put me on a pill again to get my period. My periods have always been irregular. This morning 6/23/15 I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. My husband and I are hoping for the best next month."

Anonymous June 23, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hello ladies! Your reviews have been so helpful and is giving me hope! I was on birth control for years then finally got off.. My cycles have been irregular every since.. So I was put back on birth control just to have a cycle.. Me and my husband are trying to conceive so I went to the doctor to have an ultrasound did on me to check my ovaries and that's when I found out I have PCOS.. My doctor started me on Metformin.. I started taking it on 06/20/15.. The symptoms started immediately! Really bad cramps and MAJOR diarrhea.. I haven't been taking it for a week yet and I'm not to stop but right now I don't like the feeling. But my doctor said this helps with me trying to have a baby.. So hopefully good news soon :)"

MzMiMi June 23, 2015