User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Female Infertility 5 reviews 23 medications

Diabetes, Type 2 70 reviews 124 medications

6.5
Summary of Metformin reviews 139 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Metformin

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: Made me very sick, headache, constant diarrhea, very bad head and chest cold, lower right leg started to swell.

March 20, 2012 11:14 AM

Review by Matsi:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Before I took Metformin I had a unpredictable and agonizingly painful cycle, had a bad odor, and was growing facial hair. I was also diagnosed with borderline diabetes. The change between then and now is amazing. My cycle is regular and normal, I don't smell bad constantly, and my face is clean and smooth. The Metformin also controls the diabetic aspect, so I only have to take one medication for two diseases. My biggest side-effect is the diarrhea and stomach upset, which is compounded by my Irritable Bowel Syndrome. This is easy to fix by eating a meal before taking Metformin. Despite the gastrointestinal issues, this medicine has changed my life for the better.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2012 12:35 AM

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Metformin started off good for me. Except for the frequent diarrhea, it worked quickly to give me a normal period. I had no weight loss (though I really need it), and after 3 months my periods became irregular again. My doctor increased my dose after six months, and again after 3. I'm still not regularly regular, and it hasn't increased my ovulation (per a daily ovulation test). This medicine has generally great reviews, but it's very inconsistent for me.

February 20, 2012 12:28 AM

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Have been taking taking half dose for 2 weeks and have increasingly felt horrible. Had nausea, dizziness, hot flashes, headaches, anxiety, depression. If you've never tried it, you should try it for yourself but my body is extremely sensitive and it did not work for me.

February 11, 2012 12:51 AM

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: I've been taking this medicine for a month today. I have seen a significant and favorable drop in my blood sugar however, I've never felt sicker in my entire life. Everyday since starting this I've been nauseous even to the point of vomiting. I find that I now have motion sickness and since I take public transport, I sometimes have to get off the bus to vomit. I always have diarrhea. I sometimes have fever symptoms, chills along with a feeling of being very cold, and terrible headaches. I've also become quite anxious, restless, and moody, which may be a side effect of these side effects. I've lost 12lbs and I find myself eating less which is awesome but I'm ALWAYS nauseous, which is why I have no appetite.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2012 8:44 AM

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: It works very well and there are few side effects. My blood sugar will get low but it does not drop like insulin can do. I watch what I eat and maintain exercise and my numbers are always good. I recommend this medication.

January 27, 2012 1:00 PM

Review by ccook1:

For Diabetes, Type 2: I was put on metformin in April 2011 when I was diagnosed with diabetes. First I was taking 2 x 500mg once a day with evening meal. Now (December 2011) I am taking 4 x 500mg twice daily. The main side effect has been horrible diarrhea throughout! So I am regularly taking Imodium to cope with it. My A1C has gone down 1%. So for me it is a toss up, yes blood sugar has gone down but now I have to take diarrhea medicine plus use diaper rash ointment. I would like to try something else so my butt could heal!

December 8, 2011 4:01 PM

Review by sptscristy:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: My doctor diagnosed me with PCOS, 1 month ago and put me on Metformin to help with my period. The first week was fine except for cravings and a little diarrhea. By the third week I up my dose to 1000mg a day. The first day taking 1000mg I got really sick (vomiting) and every time I would move I felt like I was going to get sick again so basically I laid around all day (thank goodness I upped my dose on a weekend). After that I was fine, well as long as I took the pill on a full stomach had no problems in that area. I haven't lost anyway weight and the way I'm going I will probably be gaining soon because my cravings are getting out of hand. I have never been into as much chocolate or any kind of junk food until I started taking Metformin. I have also been constipated, cold sores on lips (two in a week) and pimples in areas that I don't usually get them. I don't know what to think about the pill so far, I will give it another month and see how it goes.

November 29, 2011 8:44 PM

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I have only been on Metformin 5 days and I already see the difference in my symptoms. I have more energy and already lost 1.5lbs. Before, it took me a year to lose 10lbs. I have mild gastrointestinal discomfort but well worth it. It seems to help with food cravings. I used to drink 5 cups of coffee in the morning and I am down to only one without any caffeine withdrawal symptoms. I also don't crave sugar or high carb foods. I have a healthy snack in between meals to prevent blood sugar drops such as an apple, berries, or carrots. I would recommend this to anyone suffering from PCOS.

November 17, 2011 10:57 AM

Review by missJ2:

For Female Infertility: I just started taking metformin. This was given to me by my ob/gyn because I just got married and my husband and I are trying to have baby. Just started this week so the side effect haven't hit me fully, I do get the stomach pain. I haven't been diagnosed with PCOS but I think I have it. So far things are looking okay. Just waiting to see if everything fall in to place.

November 11, 2011 11:07 AM

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I was diagnosed with PCOS 5 weeks ago and have been on Metformin ever since. So far I haven't lost any weight (Luckily my condition was caught before I gained too much, I only have about 25lbs to lose) I am a registered dietitian and exercise daily so the not losing weight is a bit discouraging but my Endocrinologist has assured me that I will, apparently with some people it can take up to 4 months to start losing. The side effects were horrible the first two weeks along with horrible cramping and a constant period for 3 weeks. However, now I have no side effects at all, you just have to stick with it. My doctor was great and recommended taking the metformin at night so that I would be at home for the side effects. I take 1500 mg daily.

November 3, 2011 11:40 PM

Review by Londongurl:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I have just been diagnosed with having Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Before the diagnosis I put on about 40 lbs just out of the blue within 8 months. I also had excess hair on my face, stomach and legs, and I only had about 6 periods in the last year. I went for a pelvic scan and for the last 9 days I have been taking Metformin (500mg twice a day) under the doctor's orders. Something is definitely happening because I had a period within 5 days of taking the medication and I've lost about 4 lbs in the last week. The side effects were annoying. I had a lot of gas and diarrhea for about 3 days. The side effects seem to have passed now. My overall experience with Metformin is fairly good so far. I am looking forward to seeing more results.

October 2, 2011 7:44 PM

Glucophage (metformin) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: This medicine has definitely improved my quality of life. Within the first 2 weeks of starting metformin, I lost 8 pounds (where before I struggled to lose weight). Now I am in a healthy BMI for my height group. I experienced no nausea while taking this medicine (I took it in the middle of a meal). I did experience some intestinal side effects (gas / diarrhea) for the first week, and the first week I increased my dose.

September 27, 2011 2:17 PM

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: The only issue with this medication for me was the stomach upset, gas and diarrhea. However, the positives totally outweigh the negatives. After 6 months with no period and working out 3-4 days a week with no weight loss, it took 2 weeks on 1000mg/day of metformin to have a period and lose 5 lbs! I noticed that the stomach upset is worst when I eat something heavy or fatty. I continue to work out and am anxious to see where I will be a year from now.

September 24, 2011 10:44 AM

Glucophage (metformin) for Female Infertility: Did 5 failed IVF and 2 months on this and got pregnant naturally.

September 8, 2011 4:14 AM

For : I recommend taking multi enzymes and probiotics with this medicine it will resolve your stomach problems.

August 23, 2011 3:25 PM

Review by tdl86:

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: I have been taking this medication for 5 years now. It has lowered my insulin levels but they still aren't normal. I have lost 75 pounds and my menstrual cycles has returned to normal. I went almost a year without one at all. I also have hypothyroidism and I think my positive results are from it. I take two 500mg pills twice a day. I have to eat with it or else I will get sick.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 3, 2011 11:09 PM

For Diabetes, Type 2: I was on Avandamet for years but the weakness, tiredness, and especially the diarrhea came to be too much to bear. If I wanted to go someplace I had to stop medicating. I had to take one pill twice a day which resulted in 3 bouts of diarrhea per pill. My blood sugars were well within range and I have found nothing since to bring them down to that level but I refuse to be bound by side effects any longer.

July 4, 2011 4:57 PM

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I've been on metformin for 2 weeks now and am so happy with the results that it makes me want to cry. I've lost 6 pounds, I have my energy back and I'm just happy again. I feel like I'm back to myself after not being for the past 3 years. I would recommend it to anyone who suffers from PCOS.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 5, 2011 4:44 PM

Review by bigboots:

For Diabetes, Type 2: I'm male, 52, and a Type-2 diabetic, now on insulin. I have been a diabetic for 11 years, and took glipizide for eight of those years to successfully control my glucose levels. When my PCP moved away, I had to find a new one. My new PCP switched me from glipizide to metformin. As much as I tried to carefully titrate on to the medicine, metformin left me feeling bloated and with chronic diarrhea. My body simply would not tolerate metformin. I ended up seeing an endocrinologist, and he switched me to insulin, and I am VERY happy with that move. My glucose levels are under control, and I don't have to deal with any adverse effects. The pen-needle injections hurt less than a finger prick, so going on insulin has not been a problem at all.

April 16, 2011 2:17 PM

Review by AahlenHayam:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I have been diagnosed with PCOS for over 4 years, but only have been prescribed Metformin after seeing no results with combined pills. Having gained so much weight over the past year now weighing 75kgs, this medication does not seem to be working at all with my weight loss. I'm on 2 x 500mg a day. Have had few bad side effects, nausea and bad breath. I brush my teeth endlessly, but doesn't seem to improve. As long as I can lose weight I don't mind the side effects, but I've been on this medication for over a month now and I have not lost any weight.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2011 6:21 AM

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: After a few weeks of taking this my blood sugars came right down and have stayed low.

March 5, 2011 4:51 AM

Review by nancybuttner:

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: This medicine helped me control my eating and to lose weight and bring my sugar down without dropping it to low. I was on another medication and it would drop my sugar too low and I was always having to take the sugar tablets to bring it back up. At first it upset my stomach but after a few weeks that was gone. It has worked very well for my husband also and has kept both of our sugars at a normal rate.

January 17, 2011 4:00 PM

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I was originally started on Metformin two years ago-when I first started I was supposed to take 500mg twice a day then gradually up to three times a day. No matter when I took it I got horribly sick to where I missed work and could not even leave the house. After stopping the metformin I tried other medications and things got worse. After reading some reviews I started taking Metformin extended release. I have been taking it for about three weeks and have had no stomach issues. If you have a sensitive stomach I highly suggest asking about the extended release. I take it at night with dinner and I am fine. Hope this helps!

December 20, 2010 4:06 PM

Review by Kim S:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I have had a hard time adjusting to it. I have been taking it for about two months 500mg twice a day. I am always tired and if I don't sleep enough I am sick all day. I am hungry all day but almost everything nauseates me, and I get discomfort pains in my lower stomach. I usually can handle the pain and discomfort but since we've been trying to conceive for five years, all the symptoms similar to pregnancy plays games with my mind. Aside from all that, I still plan to take the medicine for as long as it takes. If anyone has the symptoms similar to mine please let me know, anything you are doing to make it easier. Thank you.

November 5, 2010 11:47 PM