User Reviews for Metformin (Page 3)

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Insulin Resistance Syndrome 19 reviews 14 medications

Diabetes, Type 2 93 reviews 126 medications

6.7
Summary of Metformin reviews 240 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Metformin

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hello ladies! Your reviews have been so helpful and is giving me hope! I was on birth control for years then finally got off.. My cycles have been irregular every since.. So I was put back on birth control just to have a cycle.. Me and my husband are trying to conceive so I went to the doctor to have an ultrasound did on me to check my ovaries and that's when I found out I have PCOS.. My doctor started me on Metformin.. I started taking it on 06/20/15.. The symptoms started immediately! Really bad cramps and MAJOR diarrhea.. I haven't been taking it for a week yet and I'm not to stop but right now I don't like the feeling. But my doctor said this helps with me trying to have a baby.. So hopefully good news soon :)"

MzMiMi June 23, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS about two years ago. I started on generic Yaz and Metformin at the same time. My cycle regulated and I lost about 50lbs in six months. I noticed a significant reduction in unwanted hair as well. I quit taking it for a while (life got busy, didn't refill it, moved half way across the country, new job, etc.) and I put nearly all of the weight back on. Needless to say, I've been back on Metformin for about two weeks and I've already lost six lbs."

EverythingNice1684 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 16, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hey ladies, I found out I had pcos a long time ago, I took once or twice when I was 24. It made me sick so I stop, went back to doctor 2 weeks ago, my said I should try metformin. Haven't started yet! But I'm 32 with no kids and I really want a healthy beautiful baby. My boyfriend cheated on me and got a baby and it really hurts me bc he said I should've got pregnant. Hopefully when I start medication I will get pregnant. I will keep yall updated."

rhonda83 June 7, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "To all the woman desperately wanting to become mothers I recommend taking folic acid or folate pills whilst taking the metformin. Folate prepares your female organs for pregnancy . I had my first child in 2003 at the age of 18, I was diagnosed with pcos at 15. I lost 30kg and that's when I fell pregnant at 18. For the next 7 years I was on and off different contraceptive pills, metformin or no contraceptive at all With no luck of getting pregnant as I was now back up to 115kg after first child. In 2010 I found a great Dr who was studying to be a gynae. She told me if you wanting to conceive take metformin and folate tablets together everyday. So I did and I never lose any weight but bang 3 months later I was pregnant."

kat84 June 5, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I started on Metformin 4/20/14 for irregular periods and diagnosis of PCOS. Today I started my first cycle since September 2014! Hopefully they will continue to regulate but am beyond excited! The side effects can be pretty nasty if you don't cut back on bad carbs or work out, but just stick with it and it WILL work!"

Jemmy1486 June 4, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Have lost 7 pounds in less than a month of taking metformin, for my PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). Can see the change physically in my face and stomach, as well as been told it by others, and on the scale. My hormones are also regulating themselves (having a period naturally for the first time in forever). Happy and proud of the results. My body has needed this for a long time, in both aspects. I do have diarrhea as a side effect, but I'd rather deal with that and lose weight."

etherealmoon (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was finally diagnosed with PCOS about 3weeks ago after going through years of irregular periods and horrible nausea problems I finally went to a obgyn because it was getting out of control and she prescribed me with metformin and birth control (microgestin) my period started within two weeks I have experienced extreme nausea mainly and I feel sick constantly and throw up at least 1-2 times a day this is only my first week on it but I have already lost 5lbs and feel more energized hopefully the nausea will go away soon"

Karakellum May 19, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I started taking metformin in March, I've gone from 500mg to 1500mg and this week I got my period. I haven't had one since December 2014. I've had very little side effects, just a little nausea and an unsettled stomach. I'm really hoping my periods will regulate now. I have also lost 9lbs since 20th March."

Penelope2015 May 15, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with pcos and endometriosis at 14, i had surgery to remove the cysts but I'm now 19 and I still don't get regular periods. I started metformin 3 weeks ago and am on 1500mg a day but no weight loss and no period yet. Side effects I have are loss of appetite and nausea which gets very bad especially at night and I've broken out in spots. Really hope it works I've tried everything.. 11/05/15 UPDATE Ok so I've been on metformin for over a month now. My side effects have calmed down now my appetite is still lacking but I'm not as nauseas and my skin has calmed down although it's very dry. I haven't had a period since December 2014 and it's still not come but I'm still hoping it will soon. Also not lost any weight."

Bblccx (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was never diagnosed with PCOS, but I have had all the signs. Weight gain,facial hair,acne etc... I took myself off of Metformin back in 2012 when my doctor prescribed it due to the side effects. I couldn't handle them. I was losing too much weight and was constantly sick. My facial hair,acne and weight gain had become out of control in the last year so just 1 week ago I requested for Metformin. I had not had a period since December 2014 and it's is now May 2015. After just a week my appetite has decreased, my skin is clearing and my period came yesterday all on 500mg a day. I was told to increase this week to 1000mg. I'm hoping for a baby one day soon. My one is only child will be 12 this July and it's time."

teebrice (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

Fortamet (metformin) for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "Excellent med. Tolerate perfectly. Very much improves my glucose intolerance. Improves my mood as well and high improvement in my quality of life."

jayless May 1, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I started 850mg Metformin twice per day for PCOS and at first it made me nauseated for about 1 week or so and then the nausea stopped. I feel better now after being on it for aprox. 4 month's. I have more alertness and I'm not in so much pain with my ovary like I use to be. I still have pains time to time but not daily like before. I do not get bathroom problems and I've always been on the bigger side."

PCOS suffere April 28, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I've been on this for about a year. I experience diarrhea but eating natural yogurt helps a lot. I now a 7-8 week cycle, previously it was 6 months. I have loads more energy and a normal appetite, previously I was tired all the time and always thirsty and hungry despite eating and drinking too much. I lost heaps of weight and my mind is clear. 10/10."

excellent result April 28, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I am 21 years old and have always been morbidly overweight. I was diagnosed with PCOS 2 months ago when I was 3 weeks late With a negative pregnancy test. I have the normal signs of acne, overweight, hair on my face, and I now take 1500 MG of metformin everyday. I do not have a gall bladder so the diarrhea does not bother me, but the nausea is dreadful. I will be so hungry to the point of starving and when I try to eat I'm so sick to my stomach I can't touch food. I also have had a headache everyday for the last 3 weeks. I have absolutely no sex drive and my self esteem is shot. Feeling very depressed lately...do not know if the metformin is affecting me differently because of my bipolar disorder, but I cannot feel like this forever."

shelbyhudson6326 April 26, 2015

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "Took anti-depressants for over 25 years. Had given up when I was diagnosed with insulin resistance. A friendly doctor prescribed 1,500mg Metformin daily. Great relief from my symptoms which only later were discovered to be the result of Hereditary Hemochromatosis. I am 66."

Glasgow Scot (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Been having irregular periods since I have known myself having a period. I was tired of going to the doctor for it. I am now on my 3rd month of metformin and my period became regular. Coming on its own. I am now thinking about having a child. I know it will be hard being that I was diagnosed with PCOS. However I have faith because metformin does work. I am on 850mg every night."

cana April 25, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, mostly suffering from acne, without weight and period issues. I started metformin 2-3 months ago and recently increased the dosage. It has helped dramatically. No side-effects, except for some days in the beginning when I had nausea etc."

c.hol April 21, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "My periods became irregular at approximately 16 years old. There were times I would go an entire year without having a period! Now at 32 years old, my doctor put me on Metformin 1000mg daily, and my period has returned, and has been regular for almost a year now."

meekybo April 16, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "My experience with this medicine in the beginning I had side affects like diarrhea and headaches in which over time goes away...I've also have experienced some weight loss which was great."

shae34 April 12, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS 4 yrs ago. I'm overweight (but losing weight now) but I don't have the typical facial/body hair, acne, etc. that is normally associated with PCOS. I was prescribed metformin but stopped taking it & didn't go back to the doctor again until this past Feb. I've had irregular periods since 2005 after I gained a lot of weight. I had a period, maybe every 3-4 months & the flow never was normal. It usually was very light & lasted just a few days. I started taking metformin 500mg on Feb. 7th & I started my period on Mar. 5th & the cramps were absolutely awful & the bleeding was excessively heavy . I'm now 6 days late & neg preg test. I'm 29 & want to be a mother so badly. I really hope metformin helps me with this."

ShAnNaReE14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2015

For Female Infertility: "I had Polycystic ovarian syndrome since 3 months. My doctor suggested to take metformin 3 pills per day. I suffered form side effectes like nausea, vomiting sensation. Me and my hubby are trying to get conceive, hope it will works."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2015

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "I've only been on Metformin for about a month and a half, I've lost about 12lbs, which is pretty cool, because I've never had any success with calorie counting or different diets. I do have stomach cramps, occasional diarrhea, and dizziness but nothing too bad. Im only on 500mg twice daily. I'm actually really amazed with this medication, it makes me feel fine, I have my energy back, not constantly craving sweets and caffeine, overall I have to give it a ten."

Ashlynnmaries March 30, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Metformin (Glucophage generic) works very well without any side effects (maybe a small bit of diarrhea and gas - but that helps getting rid of my constipation). I am NOT overweight. In great shape with running, playing tennis and golf, etc. Age 65. Never was overweight. Got diabetes from drinking way too much Coca Cola and eating too much sweets (donuts, cake, candies, etc.). Always burned off the sugar so never put on weight. Never knew sugar was a poison that affects metabolism. Started taking metformin (3 X 800 daily dosage two years ago. With diet changes, brought down my blood glucose level from 358 to 130, and A1C from 15.9 to 6.7. Not out of the woods yet, but huge improvement and metformin is the only drug that works for me"

Littleton (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 27, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS about 2 weeks ago, but been suffering from it long. I am 17 on 18 pretty soon; normal no periods, unwanted facial hair, some depression, no sleep, very unwanted weight. I'm on round 2 (2nd week) so I'm drinking 2 pills a day, experienced some stomach pain, a bit drowsy, nothing to bothersome, but I started my period! that's good! will stay updated!"

Ruby97 March 16, 2015

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "Life changing! 500 mg 1x/ day, and low carb diet ( 7+/- servings a day and when I started, I was 375 lbs) very compliant, 60 lb loss in 60 days, added daily hour of cardio (Zumba), continued and in 24 months lost 150 lbs. ALL side effects of metformin are indicators that you're eating too many carbs. A doctor that prescribes metformin that doesn't also prescribe a low carb diet is being absurd. I've been amazed at how many people I've talked to over the years that have had that happen. Diarrhea, nausea, metallic taste, all mean you're eating the wrong things! They're not a reason to quit the meds. They're proof you need to eat low carb. 7 years later, still down 100, and increasing dose to continue losing."

CoolMomLes March 15, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next