User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Insulin Resistance Syndrome 15 reviews 15 medications

Diabetes, Type 2 85 reviews 118 medications

6.7
Summary of Metformin reviews 202 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Metformin

For Female Infertility: "I got pregnant in 2003 with no problem. Went on birth control. we started trying again for 4 years no pregnancy. I was told I now had polycystic ovarian syndrome. Pretty heavily. So I started taking 3 pills a day. I got pregnant Within 3 months. Healthy baby boy is now 2 years old. The only problem was I had diarrhea. It slowly got better. But I would take it again!"

Sherbess January 14, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I started taking metformin late November of 2014 and with my weight and height I was considered obese I am 5 foot 4 & I weighed 204 pounds before taking the medication. My a1c was at seven and one-half at the time of my blood test. Since taking metformin 2 times a day 500 milligrams each time I have lost close to 20 pounds and along with the change in my eating habits I'm feeling much better and continuing to lose weight on an amazing scale!"

TonyRodriguez January 12, 2015

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Metformin gives me terrible runny tummy"

safia abdul wajid January 12, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I was dignosed with prediabetes about a month ago. Not sure how its helping my blood sugar bcause i havent been rechecked yet, but i have not had any bd side effects at all and have lost 5 lbs. Thats pretty goid considering i lost it over the holidays without even trying when i usually would have gained weight!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "A month ago, I was placed on Metformin ER 500 mg twice a day after being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes (HbA1C of 7.9). I, like so many on this forum, experienced violent diarrhea for the first 7 to 10 days, which then suddenly ceased. For the first time in my life, I have since experienced life as someone without a weight problem. I no longer think about food ruminatively, have to remind myself to eat, and I stop eating when full (eating smaller portions than previously). I have not had my blood glucose re-tested yet so can not speak to the effectiveness of Metformin for glucose control, but I expect much improvement, even at this sub clinical dose. I have been losing 2 to 3 lbs per week without much effort. It has been life changing."

Jean28027 January 8, 2015

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome when I was 16 yrs old. My Dr put me on Birth Control at first for about 3 years I just had my physical on December 3rd she prescribed Metformin 500 mg because I told her I want to have a baby. I started Merformin since Dec 3 2014 so it has been a month taking this medicine, I have noticed some weight loss, and I also have been feeling some headaches, and not wanting to eat much, this week I have started feeling some cramps because I do believe is almost time for my period to come. Hopefully it is regulating already, I can pretty much say this medication has helped me and hopefully I can have my bundle of Joy soon."

Maria425 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Metformin helped regulate my cycle but it did not help me ovulate."

Tooth fairy209 January 5, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Diarrhea, bloating etc. decrease within a few months, extended release tabs help, and eating small portions of food, with low carb help too. I find the cramps, diarrhea return every time I fall off the wagon, overeat or take in too much carb. it is a great motivator to keep you on your diet. And it is a great one to gradually, safely and permanently lose weight. I lost 30 lbs in 2 years and kept it, with no particular diet (except low carb) and hardly any exercise. Absolutely the best diet pill I've seen in my many diet trials over past 30 yrs.I think anyone wanting to lose weight should try this, even non diabetics."

T2D sufferer January 3, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Side effects are there, but really helps lower blood sugar, more good then harm I gotta say."

KINGJOE11 December 29, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I just started metformin 16 days ago. Explosive bowel motion probably most accurately describes my initial experience. It already seems to be getting better. I've lost 21 lbs, 233 to 212, in the past 16 days. My blood sugar went from 300's to 90's."

RLD Texan (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2014

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome at the age 14, now I am 28 y/o. 2012, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I've gained 30 lbs., which is hard to lose. So many years has passed before I started using metformin the regular and the extended version. My last period was back in May 2014. Today, Dec 2014, I started my first period and I am so excited about. Moving forward, my next step is to conceive, become diabetic free, and facial hair free. For years, my facial hair has caused low self esteem and shots at my confidence. A few times people on the radio, makes fun of women with beards and it's not easy hearing jokes about some health complications that I did not ask for. However, I feel like a complete woman today and I plan to keep updated."

Sasha28 December 21, 2014

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Bloating, stomach discomfort"

Annice December 10, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Metformin is very good at maintaining blood glucose levels, but the diarrhea has been a problem for me since taking it 3 times a day, 1 pill per meal. I found that eating a fresh green salad with no-fat salad dressing a day, and a dose of Imodium Lopermide, made for the "trots", cuts down that problem. I have a tremendously bad problem with morbid obesity, and have not noticed any weight loss, but perhaps I'm glad that it can! I am very limited in physical exercise due to a spinal cord injury, degenerative arthritis in my spine, several problems with my legs, broken bones, etc. I used to hike a lot, but can't now. Hypothyroidism doesn't help. Hard time."

Ultra Monster #49 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 6, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Metformin is very good at maintaining blood glucose levels, but the "trots" have been a problem for me since taking it 3 times a day, 1 pill per meal. I found that eating a fresh green salad with no-fat salad dressing a day, and a dose of Imodium Lopermide, made for the "trots", cuts down that problem. I have a tremendously bad problem with morbid (hate that word so much) obesity, and have not noticed any weight loss, but perhaps I'm glad that it can! I am very limited in physical excercise due to a spinal cord injury, degenerative arthritus in my spine, several problems with my legs, broken bones, etc. I used to hike a lot, but can't now. Hypothyroidism doesn't help. Hard time..."

Ultra Monster #49 December 6, 2014

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I got diagnosed with polycystic ovarian yndrome when I was 16. I'm now 31. I've been taking metformin 1000mg three times a day. I have lost 2 stones in 17 months. I still don't have a cycle & still get unwanted hair I get lots of wind & diarrhea when I've eaten sugary food so if your taking metformin watch your sugar intake."

deley (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 18, 2014

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "This medication has changed my life!!! I only regret that I did not take it sooner (like in my 20's) After suffering through years of acne and struggling to get pregnant when I wanted (frustrating business when your not ovulating at all) and people asking constantly if I was pregnant (due to my big fat tummy that I could NEVER get rid of...) I finally found Metformin. Now, not only has my skin cleared up, my weight also came off AND I was able to have my beautiful 4th child easily - because my periods have become bang on regular. I am so blessed to have had four children with polycystic ovarian syndrome but it was a long road trying for most of them. This medicine HAS changed my life in that it has given me ME back - the CONFIDENT ME I am supposed to be."

Jo-ela October 28, 2014

261 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Glucophage XR 500mg or 1000mg Tabs (I either take 2~500mg Tabs in the Morning and 2~500mg Tabs with Dinner/Supper, or I take 1~1000mg Tab in the Morning and 1~1000mg Tab with Dinner/Supper.) I Totally Love this medicine. It's been one of the best medicines that I have ever taken to help keep my BLOOD SUGARS UNDER CONTROL! "UNLIKE THE GENERIC METFORMIN", THAT REALLY MESSED ME UP, AND WAS MY WORST NIGHTMARE! NOBODY WOOD LISTEN TO ME! MY DOCTOR'S, MY PHARMACIST'S, THE EMERGENCY ROOM, MY THERAPIST, MY PSYCHIATRIST, AND ESPECIALLY MEDICAID, AND MEDICARE PART D! SO AGAINST MEDICAL ADVICE I QUIT TAKING GENERIC "METFORMIN", AND A YEAR AND HALF LATER THEY PUT ME BACK ON GLUCOPHAGE XR! LIFE BECAME WONDERFUL AGAIN!"

yieyie17 October 5, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: "It took 1000mg twice a day to knock my sugars down about 100 points, A1C of 10 to around 7 in a few months. Probably would have done better with other lifestyle changes. I'd actually rate metformin a dang good laxative more than a diabetic med, but ahh well. I got used to it, and that side effect helped me eat less."

AnonAnonAnon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 16, 2014

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "My husband was diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome and prescribed 4 metformin a day by an Endocrinologist after being misdiagnosed by our GP for hypothyroidism for months and being extremely tired and depressed. He had gained so much belly fat...and was 207 and 5ft 3 in!, not good. But after being one month on the Metformin he lost 20 lbs. this was in addition to limiting carbs in his diet. He feels so much better. He has so much more energy. And the weight continues to melt right off of his belly. We are so glad we decided to go to the Endocrinologist. He was spot on! In a few months I will have my slim husband back."

Stevehami September 6, 2014

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "(54) yr old male: Metformin worked very quickly to lower my blood glucose levels from almost 400 to progressively down to avg of 130 within 10 days. My only complaint is the side effect of very noticeable BLURRED vision and soreness around my eyes. I have always been blessed to have 20/20 vision so this is not something I am used to. I am willing to deal with this side effect as long as my glucose levels are back to normal. As we all know, a lifestyle change with regard to diet and exercise is a MUST. My situation was a "wake up call" and my plans are to eventually be weaned off Metformin within 6 months. Be encouraged and don't give up. "

_rlm_ (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2014

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have been on metformin ( the regular one) 850mg once a day at night since May 2014 for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. The first day I took it I had the worst explosive diarrhea. I persisted with it and it was giving me bouts of nausea, stomach cramps, poor sleep and diarrhea. It has been 3 months now and the symptoms have stopped. I think if you persist at it, and definitely take it after a meal, it will be okay! My periods are still being artificially controlled with norethisterone daily so I can't comment if metformin has regulated my menses, but I am hoping to stop the norethisterone soon!"

clarieh August 19, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Ongoing diarrhea"

mimi3515 August 3, 2014

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "My story is similar to those who have posted. I gained A LOT of weight, and had unwanted hair growth due to the polycystic ovarian syndrome. I've been on metformin for almost 3 weeks and have lost 13lbs. The day I started the metformin, I also started a low carb diet. Prior to metformin, I couldn't control my craving for salty, carb filled food. For the past two and a half weeks I have been able to finally control the cravings. My energy levels have increased by 50%. I also waxed the unwanted hair the day I started, and already I have noticed that less is growing back in. I wish I started metformin two years ago because I literally feel like PCOS has taken two years of my life away from me! I hope it works for others as well as it has worked for me."

Mason25 (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2014

339 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Taking 1000 mg 2x per day, with breakfast, with dinner. Prescribed for type 2 diabetes. First blood test for bringing down glucose levels after beginning this medicine treatment will be in six or eight weeks. Was already dieting intensively when I started using the metformin and it has definitely made losing weight easier. I drink loads of water and coffee between meals. Breakfast: small bowl of oatmeal; snack at 11: one piece of fruit; lunch at 1:30, 4 or 5 scrambled egg whites and a whole grain cracker; dinner, slice turkey, vegetables; evening snack: more fruit and nuts. I need to do more exercise for many reasons, but I've gone from 253 to 211 in a year; only been using metformin for six weeks."

metforminuser11118 July 25, 2014

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Newly diagnosed Diabetes Type 2 from a HbA1c. No symptoms. Good kidney function, etc. My Full Blood Glucose was 5.3/5.7 in the morning. Took half a 500mg Metformin XR with my meal. 1 hour: tightness of throat/breathing, slight, but enough. Then a migraine aura like I've never had in my life. Followed by the worst dehydration headache ever for 24 hours, despite drinking plenty. Extremely thirsty, and frequent urination, even at night. Diarrhea the following morning. Took another 250mg, half a tablet the following day with main meal. Next morning: pain round lower ribs, ache to liver & kidneys. Overlying muscles felt torn/pulled. Continued kidney/liver pain & loss of kidney function by urine test. Increased blood sugar readings duration of meds Lactic Acidosis"

Dibbles1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2014