User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Female Infertility 5 reviews 23 medications

6.4
Summary of Metformin reviews 123 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Metformin

Review by tdl86: User Rating:

metformin for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: I have been taking this medication for 5 years now. It has lowered my insulin levels but they still aren't normal. I have lost 75 pounds and my menstrual cycles has returned to normal. I went almost a year without one at all. I also have hypothyroidism and I think my positive results are from it. I take two 500mg pills twice a day. I have to eat with it or else I will get sick.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 3, 2011 11:09 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: I was on Avandamet for years but the weakness, tiredness, and especially the diarrhea came to be too much to bear. If I wanted to go someplace I had to stop medicating. I had to take one pill twice a day which resulted in 3 bouts of diarrhea per pill. My blood sugars were well within range and I have found nothing since to bring them down to that level but I refuse to be bound by side effects any longer.

July 4, 2011 4:57 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I've been on metformin for 2 weeks now and am so happy with the results that it makes me want to cry. I've lost 6 pounds, I have my energy back and I'm just happy again. I feel like I'm back to myself after not being for the past 3 years. I would recommend it to anyone who suffers from PCOS.

May 5, 2011 4:44 PM
Review by bigboots: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: I'm male, 52, and a Type-2 diabetic, now on insulin. I have been a diabetic for 11 years, and took glipizide for eight of those years to successfully control my glucose levels. When my PCP moved away, I had to find a new one. My new PCP switched me from glipizide to metformin. As much as I tried to carefully titrate on to the medicine, metformin left me feeling bloated and with chronic diarrhea. My body simply would not tolerate metformin. I ended up seeing an endocrinologist, and he switched me to insulin, and I am VERY happy with that move. My glucose levels are under control, and I don't have to deal with any adverse effects. The pen-needle injections hurt less than a finger prick, so going on insulin has not been a problem at all.

April 16, 2011 2:17 PM
Review by AahlenHayam: User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I have been diagnosed with PCOS for over 4 years, but only have been prescribed Metformin after seeing no results with combined pills. Having gained so much weight over the past year now weighing 75kgs, this medication does not seem to be working at all with my weight loss. I'm on 2 x 500mg a day. Have had few bad side effects, nausea and bad breath. I brush my teeth endlessly, but doesn't seem to improve. As long as I can lose weight I don't mind the side effects, but I've been on this medication for over a month now and I have not lost any weight.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 25, 2011 6:21 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: After a few weeks of taking this my blood sugars came right down and have stayed low.

March 5, 2011 4:51 AM
Review by nancybuttner: User Rating:

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: This medicine helped me control my eating and to lose weight and bring my sugar down without dropping it to low. I was on another medication and it would drop my sugar too low and I was always having to take the sugar tablets to bring it back up. At first it upset my stomach but after a few weeks that was gone. It has worked very well for my husband also and has kept both of our sugars at a normal rate.

January 17, 2011 4:00 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I was originally started on Metformin two years ago-when I first started I was supposed to take 500mg twice a day then gradually up to three times a day. No matter when I took it I got horribly sick to where I missed work and could not even leave the house. After stopping the metformin I tried other medications and things got worse. After reading some reviews I started taking Metformin extended release. I have been taking it for about three weeks and have had no stomach issues. If you have a sensitive stomach I highly suggest asking about the extended release. I take it at night with dinner and I am fine. Hope this helps!

December 20, 2010 4:06 PM
Review by Kim S: User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I have had a hard time adjusting to it. I have been taking it for about two months 500mg twice a day. I am always tired and if I don't sleep enough I am sick all day. I am hungry all day but almost everything nauseates me, and I get discomfort pains in my lower stomach. I usually can handle the pain and discomfort but since we've been trying to conceive for five years, all the symptoms similar to pregnancy plays games with my mind. Aside from all that, I still plan to take the medicine for as long as it takes. If anyone has the symptoms similar to mine please let me know, anything you are doing to make it easier. Thank you.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 5, 2010 11:47 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: Have used it for about 9 months. No problems or side effects that I can point directly to the metformin. I take 500mg once a day. Sugar levels are controlled and within my doctor's recommended range. Lost a few pounds when I started, then no more weight loss that I can say from the medicine.

September 28, 2010 9:28 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I've been on this for almost a month now. I'm exhausted all the time and whether I take it with food or not I get sick. I am supposed to take 2 pills a day. I take the morning one about an hour after my workout and the night time one right before bed. I've noticed I'm not nauseated when I wake up. My period is due in 3 days so we'll see if I get it. No weight loss yet.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 24, 2010 2:06 AM
Review by dunya:

Glucophage (metformin) for Female Infertility: By personal experience 3 of 5 of my friends get successful results when used Glucophage.

August 17, 2010 11:11 AM
Review by Harleysgirl: User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I am 43 and have suffered for about 10 years from extreme tiredness, acne around the mouth and chin, and weight gain. Was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2000. Started taking Metformin 3 weeks ago and have had little side effects. I am also taking spironolactone. My biggest complaint is severe, sudden cramping in the small muscles in the front of my legs and toes. Taking calcium with magnesium seem to help. I felt tired for several days, but have lost 5 lbs already. (Could also be from water weight). My brain seems less foggy and I don't feel as depressed. I do not eat sweets in general, but this medication has affected my appetite in a good way!!

June 21, 2010 8:47 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: I took this medicine for a very short while. It began with serious nausea followed by vomiting a couple of weeks later. I could not take this medicine.

March 23, 2010 3:26 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: After one year on my medication I find it to cause serious fatigue if I have not eaten regularly. Gas and bloating are on and off. Minor weight reduction. (Initially it was a wonder drug with the usual gas and loose stool, over time its positive effects are less noticeable unless I miss a dose).

March 6, 2010 7:45 PM
Review by waitandsee: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: Taking metformin twice daily for nine days now - 1st time user - horrible stomach cramps and diarrhea first 7 days but clearing up now, sleeping 10-13 hours every other day and feeling tired in evening, not in morning. Nauseous when eating anything in evening, headaches in evening also. Seeing drop in glucose readings of about 30 points fasting at this time, some weight loss probably from fluid loss and not eating much in evenings.

March 4, 2010 11:47 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: My husband and I are both on this medicine. He takes 1000 mg morning and evening. I take the max at 850 mg each meal. We have to keep a packet of desiccant in the bottle to absorb the horrible fishy smell. We both have the side effect, even years later, of bloating, gas, and flatulence. We call this pill our "gas" medication. But it lowers our blood sugar with few other side effects. If we're out, we take it on our return home if possible to prevent inflicting our flatulence on others.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 3, 2010 2:58 AM
Review by Optional: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: I was diagnosed wit D@ and also I take Thyroxin. Since being on Metformin, I am sleeping better. More ravenous and eating more. Waking up with painful priapism which I haven't had for many a year and lots of gas.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 8, 2010 11:51 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Glucophage (metformin) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I have been using it for 2 months now and it has helped me so much. I have been able to lose weight. Which over the past 4 yrs I have had trainers and everything else anyone tries to lose weight, with very heart breaking results. This has helped with my moods as well. It hasn't been that long, but I wish this could have been figured out years ago. I've made more progress in 2 months than I have in the past 4 years.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 29, 2009 8:53 PM
Review by K085: User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I started to take Metformin two months ago, after finally recieving proper treatment for PCOS and insulin resistance. The first month was especially rough; gas, abdominal cramps and diarrhea were persistent. It seemed my body was used to my blood sugar being high, so if I didn't watch meal times, I ended up having minor symptoms of hypoglycemia, even though my blood sugar was normal (finally!). On rough days, I would take an Imodium with my metformin, careful not to overtake it. I stopped eating crap (it made me sick), and I found that if I took it an hour or two before or after meals instead of with the meal, my GI side effects weren't as bad. Drink lots of water!!

December 23, 2009 12:49 AM

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: I can not take this medicine, it made me so sick. Metformin just did not work. I stayed in the bathroom day and night so my doctor changed me to a new drug called Glimepiride 2mg 1 tablet a day.

December 9, 2009 4:22 PM

metformin for Female Infertility: So far so good.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 6, 2009 10:48 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: I have been using Metformin for 3 months to aggressively treat my pre-diabetic condition. Together with a lower-carb (185-200 mg per day/1700 calories) I have lost 29 pounds. This is about double the weight loss rate I had on the diet alone. The only side effect I have experienced is a loose stool once or twice a week. Definitely a good trade-off! I am a 49 year old female, moderately active who has had a hysterectomy.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 9, 2009 12:50 PM
Review by burbuja: User Rating:

Glucophage (metformin) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: My experience with metformin has been awesome. I have been using this medicine for about a year now and have has great results. I know have regular periods which is great because I used to get it every 15 days or miss months here and there. Another fantastic thing is that I can now function when I am menstruating which used to be impossible for me due to the horrible pain. I now have manageable pain and don't have to get shots for it. I've also been able to lose 77 lbs that I had gained. Overall I've had a wonderful experience with this medication. I believe that taking my doctor's advice was the best thing I ever did, I think the combination of the medicine, changed eating habits and exercise all helped.

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 6, 2009 9:47 PM
Review by II SHORT: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: I have been on metformin for about 3 months, and I take it to help me lose weight, and I do see results but now I feel tired a lot, but that is about all.

November 5, 2009 3:13 PM