User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Female Infertility 5 reviews 23 medications

6.5
Summary of Metformin reviews 136 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Metformin

Review by Harleysgirl:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I am 43 and have suffered for about 10 years from extreme tiredness, acne around the mouth and chin, and weight gain. Was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2000. Started taking Metformin 3 weeks ago and have had little side effects. I am also taking spironolactone. My biggest complaint is severe, sudden cramping in the small muscles in the front of my legs and toes. Taking calcium with magnesium seem to help. I felt tired for several days, but have lost 5 lbs already. (Could also be from water weight). My brain seems less foggy and I don't feel as depressed. I do not eat sweets in general, but this medication has affected my appetite in a good way!!

June 21, 2010 8:47 AM

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: I took this medicine for a very short while. It began with serious nausea followed by vomiting a couple of weeks later. I could not take this medicine.

March 23, 2010 3:26 PM

For Diabetes, Type 2: After one year on my medication I find it to cause serious fatigue if I have not eaten regularly. Gas and bloating are on and off. Minor weight reduction. (Initially it was a wonder drug with the usual gas and loose stool, over time its positive effects are less noticeable unless I miss a dose).

March 6, 2010 7:45 PM

Review by waitandsee:

For Diabetes, Type 2: Taking metformin twice daily for nine days now - 1st time user - horrible stomach cramps and diarrhea first 7 days but clearing up now, sleeping 10-13 hours every other day and feeling tired in evening, not in morning. Nauseous when eating anything in evening, headaches in evening also. Seeing drop in glucose readings of about 30 points fasting at this time, some weight loss probably from fluid loss and not eating much in evenings.

March 4, 2010 11:47 PM

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: My husband and I are both on this medicine. He takes 1000 mg morning and evening. I take the max at 850 mg each meal. We have to keep a packet of desiccant in the bottle to absorb the horrible fishy smell. We both have the side effect, even years later, of bloating, gas, and flatulence. We call this pill our "gas" medication. But it lowers our blood sugar with few other side effects. If we're out, we take it on our return home if possible to prevent inflicting our flatulence on others.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2010 2:58 AM

Review by Optional:

For Diabetes, Type 2: I was diagnosed wit D@ and also I take Thyroxin. Since being on Metformin, I am sleeping better. More ravenous and eating more. Waking up with painful priapism which I haven't had for many a year and lots of gas.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2010 11:51 PM

Glucophage (metformin) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I have been using it for 2 months now and it has helped me so much. I have been able to lose weight. Which over the past 4 yrs I have had trainers and everything else anyone tries to lose weight, with very heart breaking results. This has helped with my moods as well. It hasn't been that long, but I wish this could have been figured out years ago. I've made more progress in 2 months than I have in the past 4 years.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2009 8:53 PM

Review by K085:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I started to take Metformin two months ago, after finally recieving proper treatment for PCOS and insulin resistance. The first month was especially rough; gas, abdominal cramps and diarrhea were persistent. It seemed my body was used to my blood sugar being high, so if I didn't watch meal times, I ended up having minor symptoms of hypoglycemia, even though my blood sugar was normal (finally!). On rough days, I would take an Imodium with my metformin, careful not to overtake it. I stopped eating crap (it made me sick), and I found that if I took it an hour or two before or after meals instead of with the meal, my GI side effects weren't as bad. Drink lots of water!!

December 23, 2009 12:49 AM

For Diabetes, Type 2: I can not take this medicine, it made me so sick. Metformin just did not work. I stayed in the bathroom day and night so my doctor changed me to a new drug called Glimepiride 2mg 1 tablet a day.

December 9, 2009 4:22 PM

For Female Infertility: So far so good.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2009 10:48 AM

For Diabetes, Type 2: I have been using Metformin for 3 months to aggressively treat my pre-diabetic condition. Together with a lower-carb (185-200 mg per day/1700 calories) I have lost 29 pounds. This is about double the weight loss rate I had on the diet alone. The only side effect I have experienced is a loose stool once or twice a week. Definitely a good trade-off! I am a 49 year old female, moderately active who has had a hysterectomy.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2009 12:50 PM

Review by burbuja:

Glucophage (metformin) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: My experience with metformin has been awesome. I have been using this medicine for about a year now and have has great results. I know have regular periods which is great because I used to get it every 15 days or miss months here and there. Another fantastic thing is that I can now function when I am menstruating which used to be impossible for me due to the horrible pain. I now have manageable pain and don't have to get shots for it. I've also been able to lose 77 lbs that I had gained. Overall I've had a wonderful experience with this medication. I believe that taking my doctor's advice was the best thing I ever did, I think the combination of the medicine, changed eating habits and exercise all helped.

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2009 9:47 PM

Review by II SHORT:

For Diabetes, Type 2: I have been on metformin for about 3 months, and I take it to help me lose weight, and I do see results but now I feel tired a lot, but that is about all.

November 5, 2009 3:13 PM

For Diabetes, Type 2: Helped me with my blood sugar levels and I lost 10 lbs. in a month. Down side, horrible stomach pain 24/7, nausea and diarrhea. Doctor is changing my medicines.

October 28, 2009 6:09 PM

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I am currently on Metformin for PCOS symptoms. However, blood test after blood test has shown that I do not have PCOS. I have all the symptoms and Metformin is working to regulate my cycles. The only downside is the weakness, light-headedness, and sleepiness I am experiencing. I have read that it is possibly from lactic acidosis, which is frightening. I am increasing my water intake and exercise and hoping that it will go away.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2009 5:19 AM

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: I was on this medication for about a year and I had horrible side effects.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 12, 2009 8:53 AM

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I just got this medicine prescribed to me on Friday, started taking it on Saturday, no side effects yet, but from reading the comments it seems to help with PCOS and regulating your period..getting a biopsy in 2 weeks to see if I am pre-cancerous or have cancer, so wish me luck.

September 29, 2009 3:42 PM

Glucophage XR (metformin) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: The first week of taking Metformin (Glucophage) I was extremely sick! But after that intail first week of taking the pill, I was better. I take 1000mg in the morning and at night; making that 2000mg a day. So far it hasn't given me any issues. Haven't noticed much weight loss but so far I am happy with it.

September 25, 2009 1:22 PM

Review by SASHAC:

For Diabetes, Type 2: I was found to have type 2 diabetes early in pregnancy. I was previously on a low carb diet that had worked well for me but was advised by my diabetes clinic to increase carbs and whole grains because it would benefit the baby. As soon as I began eating bread, rice and pasta I began to swell up and started having headaches. I was given a glucose test which was very high and my Doctor was preparing to put me on insulin. I was convinced that it was the high intake of sugar (carbs) that had got me into this situation so asked for a week to try and sort it out myself. I cut down on carbs and I improved within 2 days. I now take Metformin 500mg twice daily but cannot eat bread, sugar, white rice or white flour.

August 27, 2009 1:09 PM

Review by LITTLS MARY:

For Diabetes, Type 2: Since I started to take this medicine my sugar level has been a lot easier to manage.

August 23, 2009 6:23 PM

Review by socref:

For Diabetes, Type 2: Just diagnosed last week. Taking 500mg 2 x day. Only side effect I've had is increased anxiety after taking the morning dose. I've had sporadic anxiety episodes in the past but they appear to have increased.

August 19, 2009 8:25 PM

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: My doctor recommend glucophage 500mg twice a day, with breakfast and dinner. With breakfast also take 5mg Glocotrol. It made my sugar level /- 100 while previously was as high as 400.

August 12, 2009 11:07 PM

Review by redhot_blonde50:

For Diabetes, Type 2: I have been on it since I was diagnosed in May of 2007. Started with 1 x 500mg and was increased to 2 x 500mg in 3 months. No problems so far.

August 2, 2009 6:57 PM

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I used metformin for about 3 months and only had nausea and heartburn after a greasy meal, this made me change to the Metformin ER. It did help me lose about 20 pounds which is great because with PCOS it is hard to lose weight. I only used this to lose some weight and make me ovulate (which only took about 3 weeks). I do not have insulin resistance. Overall this is a great drug for PCOS!

July 28, 2009 11:15 AM

Review by JayGee:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I was prescribed this about two months ago for PCOS (my doctor gave me the option to treat the symptoms or treat the root cause, and I choose the latter). She started me out on a low dose and worked up to a full dose, which helped a lot with side effects. I felt mildly nauseous all the time until I started focusing on really eating right. If I eat a good, healthy dinner right before I take the pills, I don't feel sick at all. Another side effect, I've lost all interest in alcohol because it makes me feel terrible immediately. This has forced me to change my lifestyle, but in a good way. I've lost some weight and just generally feel better.

July 23, 2009 10:55 AM