User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Female Infertility 5 reviews 23 medications

6.4
Summary of Metformin reviews 124 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Metformin

Review by II SHORT: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: I have been on metformin for about 3 months, and I take it to help me lose weight, and I do see results but now I feel tired a lot, but that is about all.

November 5, 2009 3:13 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: Helped me with my blood sugar levels and I lost 10 lbs. in a month. Down side, horrible stomach pain 24/7, nausea and diarrhea. Doctor is changing my medicines.

October 28, 2009 6:09 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I am currently on Metformin for PCOS symptoms. However, blood test after blood test has shown that I do not have PCOS. I have all the symptoms and Metformin is working to regulate my cycles. The only downside is the weakness, light-headedness, and sleepiness I am experiencing. I have read that it is possibly from lactic acidosis, which is frightening. I am increasing my water intake and exercise and hoping that it will go away.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 15, 2009 5:19 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: I was on this medication for about a year and I had horrible side effects.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 12, 2009 8:53 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I just got this medicine prescribed to me on Friday, started taking it on Saturday, no side effects yet, but from reading the comments it seems to help with PCOS and regulating your period..getting a biopsy in 2 weeks to see if I am pre-cancerous or have cancer, so wish me luck.

September 29, 2009 3:42 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Glucophage XR (metformin) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: The first week of taking Metformin (Glucophage) I was extremely sick! But after that intail first week of taking the pill, I was better. I take 1000mg in the morning and at night; making that 2000mg a day. So far it hasn't given me any issues. Haven't noticed much weight loss but so far I am happy with it.

September 25, 2009 1:22 PM
Review by SASHAC: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: I was found to have type 2 diabetes early in pregnancy. I was previously on a low carb diet that had worked well for me but was advised by my diabetes clinic to increase carbs and whole grains because it would benefit the baby. As soon as I began eating bread, rice and pasta I began to swell up and started having headaches. I was given a glucose test which was very high and my Doctor was preparing to put me on insulin. I was convinced that it was the high intake of sugar (carbs) that had got me into this situation so asked for a week to try and sort it out myself. I cut down on carbs and I improved within 2 days. I now take Metformin 500mg twice daily but cannot eat bread, sugar, white rice or white flour.

August 27, 2009 1:09 PM
Review by LITTLS MARY: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: Since I started to take this medicine my sugar level has been a lot easier to manage.

August 23, 2009 6:23 PM
Review by socref: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: Just diagnosed last week. Taking 500mg 2 x day. Only side effect I've had is increased anxiety after taking the morning dose. I've had sporadic anxiety episodes in the past but they appear to have increased.

August 19, 2009 8:25 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: My doctor recommend glucophage 500mg twice a day, with breakfast and dinner. With breakfast also take 5mg Glocotrol. It made my sugar level /- 100 while previously was as high as 400.

August 12, 2009 11:07 PM
Review by redhot_blonde50: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: I have been on it since I was diagnosed in May of 2007. Started with 1 x 500mg and was increased to 2 x 500mg in 3 months. No problems so far.

August 2, 2009 6:57 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I used metformin for about 3 months and only had nausea and heartburn after a greasy meal, this made me change to the Metformin ER. It did help me lose about 20 pounds which is great because with PCOS it is hard to lose weight. I only used this to lose some weight and make me ovulate (which only took about 3 weeks). I do not have insulin resistance. Overall this is a great drug for PCOS!

July 28, 2009 11:15 AM
Review by JayGee: User Rating:

metformin for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I was prescribed this about two months ago for PCOS (my doctor gave me the option to treat the symptoms or treat the root cause, and I choose the latter). She started me out on a low dose and worked up to a full dose, which helped a lot with side effects. I felt mildly nauseous all the time until I started focusing on really eating right. If I eat a good, healthy dinner right before I take the pills, I don't feel sick at all. Another side effect, I've lost all interest in alcohol because it makes me feel terrible immediately. This has forced me to change my lifestyle, but in a good way. I've lost some weight and just generally feel better.

July 23, 2009 10:55 AM
Review by dr lilani: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: Nothing to say except fabulous.

July 22, 2009 9:09 PM
Review by Jim C.: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: I was on Meformin for about a month (500mg twice a day). I was told that it would give me stomach problems and loose stools, but since I have irritable bowel syndrome, that didn't worry me. As it turns out, this medicine had the opposite affect. I had constipation all the time. Only a good dose of laxatives would help, but even then I had to strain pretty hard to relieve myself. Finally, my doctor decided to take me off the medication, since my readings were in the mid 80's. I've been off for about two days and I'm feeling very light-headed. I'm hoping this will pass soon. My readings are still good, and the constipation is abating.

July 22, 2009 10:42 AM
Review by lancealot:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: Lots of gas and some bloating. Increased difficulty in losing weight.

July 15, 2009 7:42 PM
Review by pkyzztar: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: I am a 64 year old male. I stopped taking this drug (along with Glimepiride) after only 8 days because I was experiencing constant exhaustion and shortness of breath. Walking up the steps caused me to pant and have to sit and rest. I wanted to sleep all the time. I never took a sugar reading during the 8 days I was taking it, so it may very well have worked to lower my sugar. I just couldn't live with the side effects, and felt better within hours of stopping taking it (and Glimepiride). I will go back to my doctor after the holiday to try something else.

July 4, 2009 9:11 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: I was given metformin for borderline type 2 diabetes. It made me want to sleep all the time, caused my sugar to go up, and caused stomach pain. Obviously this medication is not for me.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 9, 2009 12:36 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Glucophage XR (metformin) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Did not resolve polycystic ovarian syndrome completely, but did improve quality of life by treating my subclinical insulin resistance. Metformin extended release 1000mg/day.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 8, 2009 1:05 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: I have been taking Metformin for about a month and have not had any side effects. I also take glyburide with it.

June 6, 2009 8:33 AM
Review by diane 24: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: I started this 1 year ago. The first day I couldn't leave the bathroom, after that it was okay, but it gives me gas and cramps really bad, and it still does. If I eat, it goes away. No gain or loss in weight on this drug. I'm not fat. I do crave carbohydrates on it though. My A1C usually is in the six's most of the time. I have it checked every three months. I was fighting this disease on my own, but for me I gave up after three years because I was very limited to what I could eat. I was diagnosed 4 years ago with a starting A1C of 13. Got it down to 8 with no medicines, but that is when I gave up because the life style is just not conducive to normal life.

June 2, 2009 1:00 PM
Review by Jeanne 52: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: So far it seems okay. It controls my eating.

May 28, 2009 2:24 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metformin for Diabetes, Type 2: First reaction was stomach cramps and diarrhea. Things settled down in two days, after three weeks now feel very tired.

May 28, 2009 1:27 PM
Review by sheerla: User Rating:

metformin for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: Metformin is helping me drastically in that it controls my insulin resistance. First side effects were gas and diarreah, and some bad breath, but those have gone away. I recommend this to anyone who has sugar problems!

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 15, 2009 5:34 PM
Review by leeni: User Rating:

Glucophage XR (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: I started glucophage xr on February 20. I can not believe how much better I feel. Before glucophage I spent every waking minute thinking about what I would eat next. For the last 5 years I stayed under 1000 calories a day, and my readings were 175 or 83, I was up and down like a yo-yo all day and night. I gained weight constantly, I weighed in at 196lbs on Feb 20. Now 2 months later on glucophage I have lost 29 lbs, and I eat like a normal person. I can't believe the difference. The first week on it I had some nausea but it went away and I now have no side effects. I keep thinking this is a fluke, a pill can't make that much of a difference. I feel better than I have in 20 years, I now have energy because I am eating enough and my readings are amazing.

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 8, 2009 8:37 AM