This dosage information may not include all the information needed to use Metformin safely and effectively. See additional information for Metformin.
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Usual Adult Dose for:
Usual Pediatric Dose for:
Additional dosage information:
Usual Adult Dose for Diabetes Type 2
500 mg orally twice a day (with the morning and evening meal)
500 to 2000 mg orally once a day (with the evening meal). Maximum daily dose is 2500 mg.
Usual Pediatric Dose for Diabetes Type 2
10 years of age and older:
Immediate-release tablets: 500 mg orally twice a day (with the morning and evening meal). Dosage increases should be made in increments of 500 mg weekly up to a maximum of 2000 mg per day, given in divided doses.
Safety and effectiveness of metformin extended-release has not been established in pediatric patients (less than 18 years of age).
500 mg twice a day, given with meals.
Renal Dose Adjustments
Metformin should be used cautiously, if at all, in patients with renal disease. Metformin can precipitate lactic acidosis in these patients. In addition, metformin should be used cautiously in elderly patients due to the potential for decreased renal function.
Liver Dose Adjustments
Metformin should be used cautiously, if at all, in patients with liver disease. Metformin can precipitate lactic acidosis in these patients.
Doses may be increased by 500 mg every week or 850 mg every other week based on patient tolerance and response.
Data not available.
The maximum recommended daily dose is 2.55 grams. Metformin may be used concomitantly with oral sulfonylureas.
Transfer of patients from other oral hypoglycemic agents should be done conservatively to prevent hypoglycemia.
- Metformin Side Effects
- Metformin Drug Interactions
- Metformin consumer information
- Fortamet (metformin hydrochloride) tablet, film coated, extended dosage information
- Glucophage (metformin hydrochloride) tablet, film coated dosage information
- Glucophage (metformin) consumer information
- Glucophage XR (metformin hydrochloride) tablet, extended release dosage information
- Glumetza (metformin hydrochloride) tablet, film coated, extended release dosage information
- Riomet (metformin hydrochloride) oral solution dosage information
- Riomet (metformin) consumer information