User Reviews for Dilaudid

Learn more about Dilaudid.

Cough 1 reviews 747 medications

9.5
Chronic Pain 36 reviews 108 medications

8.9
Pain 187 reviews 1059 medications

8.8
Summary of Dilaudid reviews 224 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Dilaudid

For Chronic Pain "My husband is in the hospital right now and they put a brand new knee in and he was doing pretty good until they gave him that drug. It was horrible for him. He was like a different person. He did not know where he was or even who we were. He was screaming for someone to call the police. I cannot imagine anyone taking that. Norco 10 is the strongest thing he can take and that is just one pill when needed. He took one dose of that and that is all....horrible experience for him."

Left knee revision (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

For Pain "I was given 1mg IV prior to surgery. The first 30 seconds were scary, I felt warmth spreading through my body and my vision was blurry. I was instructed to close my eyes. After the initial strangeness passed, I felt no pain at all. This is powerful, but when in pain, it did the trick quickly."

Kidney Stone January 10, 2016

For Chronic Pain "This is an incredible drug - I'm 25 and living with MS. Subsequently I have terrible spasms in back that are non-stop. I've been on this drug for over three years and have absolutely no complaints. I've tried 12 other pain meds before this - all of them making me very high, nauseated or sleepy. Then comes along Dilaudid - my doctor decided to try me on it because I was having such a hard time with all of the other drugs. From the moment I took the first dose I have been pain free - without any side effects what-so-ever. Because I have been on it for so long I have become tolerant to it so I have to begin the search for a new drug. Anyone looking for a pain med - this is the route to go."

tubaguy9008 November 28, 2015

For Pain "I had abdominal surgery and after post op I was back in my room on a dilaudid iv pump. The pain management was great but had a bad side effect. It caused mt to have hallucinations. I don't know if it was to high of a dose are not, but I was seeing weird people in my room, under my bed, I saw monsters, snakes and they all were trying to get me. I was screaming and asking for help. I had to have my wife stay with me cause I could not close my eyes to sleep. I literally felt like I was in a Freddie Kruger movie. I now list this as a drug allergy when asked if I'm allergic to any medications. I never want to experience that again"

Neveragaininmylife November 20, 2015

For Pain "I received this medication on multiple occasions. Typically the situation involved me being awake for a small surgical procedure. Though this became a typical procedure that I grew used to and at times would receive with only local anesthetics, the times I had dilaudid were far better. It reduced my anxiety for the situation and didn't cause me to feel too out of it after the procedure was done (maybe about 20 minutes?)."

:) (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

For Pain "I am used to Percocet due to years of back pain. In the hospital after a kidney procedure I had some moderate pain that morphine IV did not impact. I got one IV of dilaudid and the pain level decreased to a very acceptable level and I went home with virtually no pain"

Anonymous October 23, 2015

For Pain "I arrived at work and started to feel pain in my back and side of the abdomen. Since I have experienced this pain before, I recognized it as a kidney stone starting the trek down the urinary tract. After about 3 hours the pain maxed out and was accompanied by nausea. A coworker took me to the ER and after about 30-45 minutes of interrogation, they finally hooked me to an IV and provided a cocktail of drugs including Dilaudid, Flomax (for urine flow) and Zofran (for nausea). Almost immediately I felt a warm feeling all over and relaxed. I was able to doze for an hour or so relatively pain free. For me the Dilaudid worked perfectly, but I didn't note the exact dosage and it was a one-time thing."

MMRedSox October 6, 2015

For Pain "I was admitted yesterday 9-29-15 in mission regional hospital.. I was in pain due that I have diverticulitis... I was put in IV .. with this medication called DILAUDID.. it was horrible.. I started seeing everthing moving.. I couldn't stop vomiting.. I would try to have my eyes open but I was so dizzy.. for me this is the worst medication.. I have never felt like this with other pain killers.."

Luciana Ontiveros (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2015

For Chronic Pain "Treats both the diarrhea and chronic pain that I have from Crohn's disease. Works great."

MikeyHasCrohns September 16, 2015

For Chronic Pain "My luck I moved to a small town, small medicine to retire.I have Bilateral failed carpal tunnel with failed double revision and now with neuropathy in my hands.Herniated bulged disc in my lower back and another herniated bulged disc in my upper neck pushing against spinal cord.I have a torn right tendon in my knee,and that if I am really lucky I get 2 hours of sleep.I have beg my Dr. for Hyaluronic Acid Injection shot, (which for some reason he won't) And now their saying I might have parkinson's. He had me on Dilaudid a few years back but it made me jumpy but I'll be asking for it again. Can you believe that he was trying to give me hydro's 10's for this? And this guy went to a top 10 School. Don't move to Wa. state."

Vader1212 September 8, 2015

For Chronic Pain "I think it should be a law for all pharmaceuticals that has anything to do with the production of hydromorphone or any other narcotic should be required to make a medication to wean you off of these medications"

wades3pets (taken for 10 years or more) August 24, 2015

For Pain "I was diagnosed with urethral stricture a couple years ago that was so bad I couldn't urinate hardly at all. I developed a bad infection that spread to my intestines and blood. I was in so much pain I was screaming. The doc at the hospital put me on 3 mg of dilaudid every 4 hrs. The next day I told him that was not quite lasting 4 hrs. He put me on a pain control pump that gave .5mg every 10 min. Plus I was still getting the 3mg every 4 hrs. This finally work amazingly well but in looking at the amount I wad actually getting it's no wonder. I didn't always hit the button every 10 min. but the nurse said I was still averaging 9-10mg every 4 hrs."

djsloo August 20, 2015

For Pain "Have had Dilaudid squirted in my IV at the hospital. Works immediately within seconds and can rid you of all kinds of awful pain. It will allow a peaceful sleep, and you will be staying in a laying down position anyway because it makes you feel so loopy. After about two hours it wears off a lot but you still feel better than you did. Also, it can slow down your bowel movements. As with any pain med, best to get along without it, but if you desperately need it sometimes then this is a huge relief."

Average Citizen (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2015

For Pain "I have been taking oxycodone for almost a year now for severe back pain. Not only did they not work, but the side effects were terrible! Really bad constipation and dry mouth so I had to get two other prescriptions for those. Back in June, I was admitted to the ER locally, and at first they gave me morphine after they figure it out that it was acute pancreatitis. Right before the ambulance came to take me down to the VA Hospital in Pittsburgh, they gave me dilaudid in the IV and within 10 minutes the pain was pretty much gone. So they continued me on it while I was in the hospital and afterwards for my back pain. It's been the only thing that has helped with both. oxycodone and morphine have no real effect on my pain."

markj99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2015

For Pain "I was given a dose of delaudid through IV for severe headache associated with an infection. As soon as the nurse began pushing the syringe I had a horrible taste in the back of my throat, my breathing and chest felt very heavy, my ears felt clogged and I became very sleepy. These all lasted for around 4 hours, along with extreme nausea! The nurse said "yea a lot of people don't like dilaudid it makes them feel pretty funny." Good thing I was also taking Zofran or I would have been vomiting my brains out."

Stephrco23 July 16, 2015

For Pain "I went into the ER in EXTREME pain. I mean, I was in labor for 30 hours with no help from an epidural, and this pain I was having took the cake! Turns out I had Pyelonephritis (Kidney Infection, caused by a UTI). I was in pure agony for hours... and finally once they got me back into a real room, and got the Dr in to see me, they got my IV hooked up and gave me Nausea meds, 1 Mg of Dilaudid, antibiots and toradol. It worked almost instantly! I was so relieved!! All I wanted to do was close my eyes and sleep, and I got a couple hours in before I was ok to leave the hospital. If you have ever had Stadol, the relief and feeling was VERY similar with Dilaudid, which was fine with me. Both have been the best pain relieves I've ever had."

chickenlittle71515 July 16, 2015

For Pain "I received Dilaudid through IV while in ER for kidney pain. The pain relief was very fast and effective. However, I had noticeable side effects - that disorienting whoosh effect mentioned by another commenter, severe dizziness, nausea and blurred vision. When admissions asked me to sign paperwork I had significant trouble raising my arms and holding the pen, but I was able to sign my name with a great deal of concentration. Getting out of bed was very difficult when they asked for a urine sample. I needed quite a bit of assistance from the nurse to walk across the hall. All I wanted to do was lie very still and minimize the dizziness. It took about 8 hours for this effect to go away."

LHanc (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2015

For Pain "Get light headeed on them"

sportmanli May 31, 2015

For Pain "I was given this post breast- cyst biopsy. It has not in the least helped my severe pain. My doctor now wants me to take Dilaudid and motrin 800 hopefully I will get some relief."

JYJones (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015

For Pain "I have a Traumatic Brain Injury. I asked for Tylenol for pain and they came back with this. It worked very well. Maybe a little too well!"

CourtM (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2015

For Pain "Broke my arm and was given the drug. Caused respiratory distress. Was told to never take it again. I woke up and the medical staff was slapping me on the chest and screaming for me to breathe!"

Snasam April 28, 2015

For Chronic Pain "Dilaudid has been beneficial to my daily activities. Without Dilaudid I literally cannot move. The chronic pain from fibromyalgia is indescribable. And every case is different, but it helps me. The only side effect that I must pay close attention to is headaches.... if I already have a headache, I don't take Dilaudid. It will make it worse. Once in a while, Dilaudid will cause a headache."

Rheacy (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2015

For Pain "Went to the ER with severe back spasms. I can handle pain pretty well, but these spasms were horrendous. I have chronic spine and hip pain, but this was much worse than normal. After the Toradol Shot and the Valium weren't working, they finally gave me the Dilaudid shot. Only took about 10 minutes and I was pain free. Of course, I only had the shot and nothing else to tide me over until the chiropractor, but it was very good stuff."

TattedAllyCatt (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2015

For Pain "I was administered Dilauded in the ER after having suffered a copperhead bite to the ankle. They administered the antivenin and morphine with phenergan (sp?) and returned after about 10 minutes to check my pain level-- no effect. The dilauded didn't completely stop the pain, but it definitely took the edge off. This was my first expirence taking any narcotic-- so both the morphine and dilauded caused the "whoooosh" sensation, stomach dropped, body felt very heavy... But that sensation was much greater with dilauded. Shortly after getting the Dilauded I started vomiting pretty heavily-- but no way to know if that was the venom, antivenom, morphine, or dilauded. Lesson learned, don't step on a snake!"

Melissapolo (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2015

For Pain "After years of having brain tumors,I must take pain medication daily,but for when I can't control the pain with Tylenol #3's & my other meds. I've found a medication that works for me,Dilaudid,we have found is a very good & tolerable medication. I don't like going in for the medication, but the relief I get from it helps me sleep & gets me back to maintaining my constant headaches(with the brain tumors, I'm in constant pain,but I can manage it, most of the time.). It's a wonderful medication for those of us that need it on occasion & much less foggy than Demerol to recover from! The amount varies with me because of my chronic condition,but I never need more than 2 injections,but it's a medication NOT to be played with however!"

Wendy Sanibel March 30, 2015