Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Dilaudid

Learn more about Dilaudid.

Dilaudid review summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 74 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Dilaudid to treat Chronic Pain

Review by Rheacy (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Dilaudid has been beneficial to my daily activities. Without Dilaudid I literally cannot move. The chronic pain from fibromyalgia is indescribable. And every case is different, but it helps me. The only side effect that I must pay close attention to is headaches.... if I already have a headache, I don't take Dilaudid. It will make it worse. Once in a while, Dilaudid will cause a headache.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Review by paulieharris (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Finally0 found a medication with little side effects

February 4, 2015 9:01 PM

Review by Jenn Claus (taken for 10 years or more):

I suffer from a very rare migraine condition called hemiplegic migraines which are neurological migraines that cause stroke like symptoms. Unlike most people, I am unable to take most medications designed for migraines since in the small print of these meds it says do not administer to those with hemiplegic migraines. I have found that Dilaudid has been a God send when I have these migraines. Just 1 shot (ratio) of 2mg of Dilaudid combined with 2mg of promethazine and it puts me into a deep enough sleep where my brain can retrigger without any rebound migraine effects. It has proven to be very successful and useful!

January 30, 2015 1:51 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Dilaudid worked great for pain without all the side effects from other pain meds, but doctors are no longer willing to prescribe them. Probably due to all the abuse and how difficult the DEA is now making things for pharmacists who fill them and doctors prescribing them.

January 29, 2015 7:25 PM

Review by Rotatorfix:

Nothing else worked except this 2mg dose without side effects. It wore off after 6 hours. Given post surgery use, but could have helped longer since everything else caused migraines.

January 27, 2015 5:11 PM

Review by lisawooten (taken for less than 1 month):

It really makes most of the pain go away it takes a little bit for them to work but I'm on a low dose

December 19, 2014 10:16 PM

Review by Natisly:

When my migraine gets out of control this is the only medicine that kills it. The down side is that I have to go to the ER to get it and sometimes they give you a hard time as they think you are an addict.

December 15, 2014 6:27 PM

Review by AZ Guy (taken for 5 to 10 years):

After a failed back surgery, my orthopedic surgeons kept telling me I %u201Cshould%u201D be walking again. I could not get out of the wheel chair I had been in for over 12 weeks without assistance. And once out of it, I could not walk without severe pain. The docs eventually found bone fragments had been pushed INTO my spine rather than being removed before bone cement was used to repair my crushed vertebrae. While they could %u201Ctry%u201D to remove them and redo the surgery, the chances of my not being able to walk, ever, were far too high to justify the risk of surgery. A brilliant pain management specialist in LA found the combination of Dilaudid and Morphine worked well for me. After starting pain medications, I was able to stand and eventually to walk again.

November 30, 2014 1:54 AM

Review by mat7401 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been taking this in tablet form for failed back surgery, and CRPS in both legs up to the thigh. It doesn't relieve all the pain, but it relieves enough to get me through my day of being a full time stay-at-home single dad. I think I got better relief from the oxycodone I was on before, but it would only last 2-3 hours, whereas the Dilaudid lasts a solid 4 hours, so I get a little bit more time with my little guy where my pain is under control. Wish I could take the ER version, but due to gastric bypass, no ER tablets work on me... Can't say it's given me my life back, because I was a wind turbine technician when I became disabled, but I get enough relief to be with my son instead of on the bed in relentless agonising pain.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2014 5:39 AM

Review by tbake294 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My experience with Dilaudid is Amazing, I have Severe Chronic Pain due to an Autonomic Dysfunction called Dysautonomia, I have tried MANY MANY other pain meds. even had nerve blocks & injections but nothing worked. I would recommend Dilaudid to Anyone experiencing severe pain because it works 100% (at least for me it did but then again everyone is different)

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 1:28 AM

Review by Lisataylor42 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was in an auto accident that left me in a Coma for 38 days & was told by all 5 of my orthopedic Dr's I'd NEVER STAND OR WALK AGAIN. 6 mo. Later I took my first steps! I broke both hips both femurs (thigh bones) in 2 places, shattered both tibia & fibula (shin bones) & both knees. I am titanium rods the length of the bones, wires, nails & screws. I was on 4 different pain Narcotics every 2 hrs. The ONLY ONE THAT GAVE ME RELIEF WAS THE DILAUDID! None of the oxy 's or even the 100mg Morphine phased me. Now I'm on Percocet 10-325 & 100mg Morphine. Percs just knock the edge off but gives me the energy to keep moving. I WANT MY DILAUDIDS BACK & KEEP MY PERCS FOR MY BREAKTHROUGH. THEY HELP ME LEAD A PRODUCTIVE LIFE! 2yrs on

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 7:31 PM

Review by RunnerJ (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Gained tolerance quickly on this med- maxed out dosage/ frequency and had to add additional pains meds to address pain issues. Have not had issues with dependency thankfully-

May 5, 2014 10:34 PM

Review by nasc90:

Good pain relief but not long lasting. Doc switched me to a new one Exalgo not bad but not as good so far in long lasting 24hr dose.

April 13, 2014 12:55 PM

Review by Valencia01 (taken for less than 1 month):

I am receiving Dilaudid through a pain pump. It's just been a month since the surgery. I was opiate tolerant at the time. I have sarcoidosis degenerative disc disease and osteoarthritis. I feel so much better than I have in a long time. I'm not sleepy but I did get tingling in the lower left leg that went to my toes. I am stiff in joints but not sure if it's the arthritis or Dilaudid. I rate it at 8.5.

February 28, 2014 8:17 AM

Review by jewwie:

I am allergic to a lot of pain meds. This is the only medicine I can take that takes the pain away.

February 14, 2014 2:30 AM

Review by Wana be pain free:

I have tried all of it and so far Dilaudid works best for me.

January 21, 2014 5:41 PM

Review by Aza111 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Excellent for migraines the best. Unlike all the other medicines. Again, doesn't make me sick like Relpax, effective unlike Imitrex. I just wish I could get it again.

December 10, 2013 8:20 AM

Review by Greta-Jane (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Dilaudid keeps me wide awake. I take 4 mg for failed back surgery. It does take the edge off, but doesn't take away 1/2 of the pain. For the life of me, I cannot understand why it keeps me wide awake. I took one pill at 4:30pm yesterday and last I looked at my clock last night, it was 4:33am.

September 14, 2013 11:52 PM

Review by chronicpain2013 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Really helps ease the breakthrough pain. I was afraid when I first started it that it wouldn't help much at all, but in truth it works better than anything else that I have been prescribed. I have had one surgery for three herniated discs of my cervical spine and now have two more that need surgery at waist level. I have been suffering, only existing. Not living for more than ten years. Dilaudid gave me back some of my life and it doesn't make me nauseous like many of the other medications that I have been on. Even though it doesn't take away all of the pain it does make it much more tolerable. Morphine made me sick and I was severely hyper sensitive to it. I am thankful for the relief Dilaudid has given me.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2013 5:20 AM

Review by Jonsonroc (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been diagnosed with rhabdomiolitis. The pain it brought was excruciating - 15 on a scale of 1 to 10. The rheumatologist ordered an initial dose of 4 mg by IV (this is an unusually high dose, the pharmacy double checked with the doctor before releasing the medicine). Subsequent doses were only 2 mg. Dilaudid took away ALL of my pain within 60 seconds. The relief lasted through the night, allowing me a full night of sleep. Hydromorphone, the tablet form, is far less effective than I.V. In fact, I was down right disappointed with the tablets. They seemed to do nothing at all for the pain. It's hard to believe that hydromorphone tablets and Dilaudid I.V. are the same medicine. I will request for my doctor to prescribe the Dilaudid injections.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2013 4:33 AM

Review by Larry Woodcock (taken for less than 1 month):

I just started taking Dilaudid a short time ago. I have lived in misery for the last 12 years with lower and upper back pain. I have been on MS Contin. Vicodin, Lortab pill and liquid. I recently hurt my back at work to the point that, I could not even drive. My doctor put me on Dilaudid and I have to say that it works well. I feel for anyone who lives with chronic pain. At least I can move and work. Maybe not as fast as I once was but, I still get the job done. Please don't give up there are other alternatives that may work for you.

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 14, 2013 5:48 AM

Review by crash civic:

Broke both my legs in a car crash. Shattered my right femur and broken right fibula. Dilaudid is the only when required medicine that really worked.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2013 10:21 PM

Review by blue1116 (taken for less than 1 month):

Car accident, 1997 ,diagnosed fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, herniated, bulging, protruding disks, anxiety/panic disorder, migraines, and last Friday I had a heart attack! I was given Dileudid through I.V.! Best medicine I have ever experienced!

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2013 1:14 PM

Review by runes:

I had back surgery and I also have fibromyalgia. I have tried other pain killers and none of them really worked so for 6 years I lived in pain not having a very good outlook on life I ended up in the hospital. They put me on Dilaudid and my life has improved so much I cannot believe it.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2013 7:32 PM