User Reviews for Dilaudid

Learn more about Dilaudid.

Dilaudid review summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 74 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Dilaudid to treat Chronic Pain

Review by mat7401 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been taking this in tablet form for failed back surgery, and CRPS in both legs up to the thigh. It doesn't relieve all the pain, but it relieves enough to get me through my day of being a full time stay-at-home single dad. I think I got better relief from the oxycodone I was on before, but it would only last 2-3 hours, whereas the Dilaudid lasts a solid 4 hours, so I get a little bit more time with my little guy where my pain is under control. Wish I could take the ER version, but due to gastric bypass, no ER tablets work on me... Can't say it's given me my life back, because I was a wind turbine technician when I became disabled, but I get enough relief to be with my son instead of on the bed in relentless agonising pain.

September 7, 2014 5:39 AM

Review by tbake294 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My experience with Dilaudid is Amazing, I have Severe Chronic Pain due to an Autonomic Dysfunction called Dysautonomia, I have tried MANY MANY other pain meds. even had nerve blocks & injections but nothing worked. I would recommend Dilaudid to Anyone experiencing severe pain because it works 100% (at least for me it did but then again everyone is different)

July 11, 2014 1:28 AM

Review by Lisataylor42 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was in an auto accident that left me in a Coma for 38 days & was told by all 5 of my orthopedic Dr's I'd NEVER STAND OR WALK AGAIN. 6 mo. Later I took my first steps! I broke both hips both femurs (thigh bones) in 2 places, shattered both tibia & fibula (shin bones) & both knees. I am titanium rods the length of the bones, wires, nails & screws. I was on 4 different pain Narcotics every 2 hrs. The ONLY ONE THAT GAVE ME RELIEF WAS THE DILAUDID! None of the oxy 's or even the 100mg Morphine phased me. Now I'm on Percocet 10-325 & 100mg Morphine. Percs just knock the edge off but gives me the energy to keep moving. I WANT MY DILAUDIDS BACK & KEEP MY PERCS FOR MY BREAKTHROUGH. THEY HELP ME LEAD A PRODUCTIVE LIFE! 2yrs on

June 23, 2014 7:31 PM

Review by RunnerJ (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Gained tolerance quickly on this med- maxed out dosage/ frequency and had to add additional pains meds to address pain issues. Have not had issues with dependency thankfully-

May 5, 2014 10:34 PM

Review by nasc90:

Good pain relief but not long lasting. Doc switched me to a new one Exalgo not bad but not as good so far in long lasting 24hr dose.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2014 12:55 PM

Review by Valencia01 (taken for less than 1 month):

I am receiving Dilaudid through a pain pump. It's just been a month since the surgery. I was opiate tolerant at the time. I have sarcoidosis degenerative disc disease and osteoarthritis. I feel so much better than I have in a long time. I'm not sleepy but I did get tingling in the lower left leg that went to my toes. I am stiff in joints but not sure if it's the arthritis or Dilaudid. I rate it at 8.5.

February 28, 2014 8:17 AM

Review by jewwie:

I am allergic to a lot of pain meds. This is the only medicine I can take that takes the pain away.

February 14, 2014 2:30 AM

Review by Wana be pain free:

I have tried all of it and so far Dilaudid works best for me.

January 21, 2014 5:41 PM

Review by Aza111 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Excellent for migraines the best. Unlike all the other medicines. Again, doesn't make me sick like Relpax, effective unlike Imitrex. I just wish I could get it again.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2013 8:20 AM

Review by Greta-Jane (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Dilaudid keeps me wide awake. I take 4 mg for failed back surgery. It does take the edge off, but doesn't take away 1/2 of the pain. For the life of me, I cannot understand why it keeps me wide awake. I took one pill at 4:30pm yesterday and last I looked at my clock last night, it was 4:33am.

September 14, 2013 11:52 PM

Review by chronicpain2013 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Really helps ease the breakthrough pain. I was afraid when I first started it that it wouldn't help much at all, but in truth it works better than anything else that I have been prescribed. I have had one surgery for three herniated discs of my cervical spine and now have two more that need surgery at waist level. I have been suffering, only existing. Not living for more than ten years. Dilaudid gave me back some of my life and it doesn't make me nauseous like many of the other medications that I have been on. Even though it doesn't take away all of the pain it does make it much more tolerable. Morphine made me sick and I was severely hyper sensitive to it. I am thankful for the relief Dilaudid has given me.

August 28, 2013 5:20 AM

Review by Jonsonroc (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been diagnosed with rhabdomiolitis. The pain it brought was excruciating - 15 on a scale of 1 to 10. The rheumatologist ordered an initial dose of 4 mg by IV (this is an unusually high dose, the pharmacy double checked with the doctor before releasing the medicine). Subsequent doses were only 2 mg. Dilaudid took away ALL of my pain within 60 seconds. The relief lasted through the night, allowing me a full night of sleep. Hydromorphone, the tablet form, is far less effective than I.V. In fact, I was down right disappointed with the tablets. They seemed to do nothing at all for the pain. It's hard to believe that hydromorphone tablets and Dilaudid I.V. are the same medicine. I will request for my doctor to prescribe the Dilaudid injections.

July 17, 2013 4:33 AM

Review by Larry Woodcock (taken for less than 1 month):

I just started taking Dilaudid a short time ago. I have lived in misery for the last 12 years with lower and upper back pain. I have been on MS Contin. Vicodin, Lortab pill and liquid. I recently hurt my back at work to the point that, I could not even drive. My doctor put me on Dilaudid and I have to say that it works well. I feel for anyone who lives with chronic pain. At least I can move and work. Maybe not as fast as I once was but, I still get the job done. Please don't give up there are other alternatives that may work for you.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 14, 2013 5:48 AM

Review by crash civic:

Broke both my legs in a car crash. Shattered my right femur and broken right fibula. Dilaudid is the only when required medicine that really worked.

April 1, 2013 10:21 PM

Review by blue1116 (taken for less than 1 month):

Car accident, 1997 ,diagnosed fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, herniated, bulging, protruding disks, anxiety/panic disorder, migraines, and last Friday I had a heart attack! I was given Dileudid through I.V.! Best medicine I have ever experienced!

January 25, 2013 1:14 PM

Review by runes:

I had back surgery and I also have fibromyalgia. I have tried other pain killers and none of them really worked so for 6 years I lived in pain not having a very good outlook on life I ended up in the hospital. They put me on Dilaudid and my life has improved so much I cannot believe it.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2013 7:32 PM

Review by Jrector76 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I.V. form is a ten. Pill form about a 7 or 8.

December 18, 2012 3:05 PM

Review by Stan2 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have chronic back pain (9 years plus), and had surgery. Been on all pain medicines through all that time. From Vicodin all the way up to Dilaudid and Fentanyl. Even though nothing is going to take away all the pain, I found that Dilaudid 8mg works the best. Most of the time about 80%.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2012 7:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have had chronic pain for many years due to my occupation. I'm only 37 and I have 50% torn shoulders, arthritis and 3 herniated discs. I take a 4mg every day at around 3 pm and up to 2 more in the evening depending on the severity of pain that day. I have been on it for roughly 3 years now. I take the same doses and haven't had to up anything. It replaced 4 meds I used to have to take. I have no side effects at all. This medicine allows me to run a successful business and my household. I'd be lost without it. Most pain killers make me sick to my stomach and cause severe headaches. Not this one!

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 1, 2012 5:48 PM

Review by Kelrod81:

INTENSE<CHRONIC PAIN. No Comparison or Substitute. HEAVILY Prescribed Tons of Methadone and OXYCODONE for 4 Years. When forced at E.R. Dilaudid is only thing that works. I think it should be used more often. Morphine at ER Would take 4 shots and nausea and bad for MY ailments. 10/10 EVERY TIME! Thanks

November 23, 2012 11:48 AM

Review by huntsketchup:

I have severe chronic abdominal pain and the only medication that controls my pain is Dilaudid. I was first given Dilaudid IV in the hospital after I had a reaction to morphine and it was AMAZING. In less than a minute my pain was essentially gone. The IV Dilaudid is, in my opinion, the greatest medicine ever invented. I now take 4 mg tablets six times a day for my pain and it keeps my pain at about a 4, as opposed to being 9 or 10 without it. I have a really sensitive stomach but I don't get nauseated from it like I do with other pain meds.

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 26, 2012 2:12 AM