User Reviews for Dilaudid

Learn more about Dilaudid.

Dilaudid Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Dilaudid to treat Chronic Pain

"After having 2 surgeries to my spine because of a fracture that was over looked. I had to be put on a morphine pump or what is known as a pain pump. This pump is placed within a pocket of fat that the doctors must fill ever 45 to 60 days. For several years I was given morphine into the pump. I do not recall any side affects to this. Due to the pain getting worse I made the request for a medication other than the morphine. I was placed then on Dilaudid/Clonidine which has been increased over the years. In February 2016 I started experiencing the side affects of withdrawal. My mouth stays dry, ears ringing, blood pressure increase to dangers levels. At the ER I was checked to see if I was having a stroke, with all test negative. BAD RX"

gcassels April 18, 2016

"My husband is in the hospital right now and they put a brand new knee in and he was doing pretty good until they gave him that drug. It was horrible for him. He was like a different person. He did not know where he was or even who we were. He was screaming for someone to call the police. I cannot imagine anyone taking that. Norco 10 is the strongest thing he can take and that is just one pill when needed. He took one dose of that and that is all....horrible experience for him."

Left knee revision (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

"This is an incredible drug - I'm 25 and living with MS. Subsequently I have terrible spasms in back that are non-stop. I've been on this drug for over three years and have absolutely no complaints. I've tried 12 other pain meds before this - all of them making me very high, nauseated or sleepy. Then comes along Dilaudid - my doctor decided to try me on it because I was having such a hard time with all of the other drugs. From the moment I took the first dose I have been pain free - without any side effects what-so-ever. Because I have been on it for so long I have become tolerant to it so I have to begin the search for a new drug. Anyone looking for a pain med - this is the route to go."

tubaguy9008 November 28, 2015

"Treats both the diarrhea and chronic pain that I have from Crohn's disease. Works great."

MikeyHasCrohns September 16, 2015

"My luck I moved to a small town, small medicine to retire.I have Bilateral failed carpal tunnel with failed double revision and now with neuropathy in my hands.Herniated bulged disc in my lower back and another herniated bulged disc in my upper neck pushing against spinal cord.I have a torn right tendon in my knee,and that if I am really lucky I get 2 hours of sleep.I have beg my Dr. for Hyaluronic Acid Injection shot, (which for some reason he won't) And now their saying I might have parkinson's. He had me on Dilaudid a few years back but it made me jumpy but I'll be asking for it again. Can you believe that he was trying to give me hydro's 10's for this? And this guy went to a top 10 School. Don't move to Wa. state."

Vader1212 September 8, 2015

"I think it should be a law for all pharmaceuticals that has anything to do with the production of hydromorphone or any other narcotic should be required to make a medication to wean you off of these medications"

wades3pets (taken for 10 years or more) August 24, 2015

"Dilaudid has been beneficial to my daily activities. Without Dilaudid I literally cannot move. The chronic pain from fibromyalgia is indescribable. And every case is different, but it helps me. The only side effect that I must pay close attention to is headaches.... if I already have a headache, I don't take Dilaudid. It will make it worse. Once in a while, Dilaudid will cause a headache."

Rheacy (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2015

"Most effective opoid pain medication for me. Long story short, my spine is messed up from stem to stern: scoliosis, osteoarthritis, osteophytes, spinal stenosis etc. It all got much worse after my son was born which was when I was first put on the trial and error opoid rollercoaster. Tylenol 3 codeine quickly became ineffective, probably because I had up to this point been treating my pain with OTC medication (in Canada you can get low-dose Tylenol with codeine without a prescription) and I was put on Oxycodone (Percocet) which was an awful med: didn't last & withdrawal was hellish. Next up, Fentanyl patch, moderately effective but patch delivery was unreliable. Hydrocodone (Dilaudid) at last gave me some of my life and mobility back."

Canadienne (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 24, 2015

"Works"

LungCancerStg4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2015

"Finally0 found a medication with little side effects"

paulieharris (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2015

"I suffer from a very rare migraine condition called hemiplegic migraines which are neurological migraines that cause stroke like symptoms. Unlike most people, I am unable to take most medications designed for migraines since in the small print of these meds it says do not administer to those with hemiplegic migraines. I have found that Dilaudid has been a God send when I have these migraines. Just 1 shot (ratio) of 2mg of Dilaudid combined with 2mg of promethazine and it puts me into a deep enough sleep where my brain can retrigger without any rebound migraine effects. It has proven to be very successful and useful!"

Jenn Claus (taken for 10 years or more) January 30, 2015

"Dilaudid worked great for pain without all the side effects from other pain meds, but doctors are no longer willing to prescribe them. Probably due to all the abuse and how difficult the DEA is now making things for pharmacists who fill them and doctors prescribing them."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 29, 2015

"Nothing else worked except this 2mg dose without side effects. It wore off after 6 hours. Given post surgery use, but could have helped longer since everything else caused migraines."

Rotatorfix January 27, 2015

"It really makes most of the pain go away it takes a little bit for them to work but I'm on a low dose"

lisawooten (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2014

"When my migraine gets out of control this is the only medicine that kills it. The down side is that I have to go to the ER to get it and sometimes they give you a hard time as they think you are an addict."

Natisly December 15, 2014

"After a failed back surgery, my orthopedic surgeons kept telling me I %u201Cshould%u201D be walking again. I could not get out of the wheel chair I had been in for over 12 weeks without assistance. And once out of it, I could not walk without severe pain. The docs eventually found bone fragments had been pushed INTO my spine rather than being removed before bone cement was used to repair my crushed vertebrae. While they could %u201Ctry%u201D to remove them and redo the surgery, the chances of my not being able to walk, ever, were far too high to justify the risk of surgery. A brilliant pain management specialist in LA found the combination of Dilaudid and Morphine worked well for me. After starting pain medications, I was able to stand and eventually to walk again."

AZ Guy (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 30, 2014

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been taking this in tablet form for failed back surgery, and CRPS in both legs up to the thigh. It doesn't relieve all the pain, but it relieves enough to get me through my day of being a full time stay-at-home single dad. I think I got better relief from the oxycodone I was on before, but it would only last 2-3 hours, whereas the Dilaudid lasts a solid 4 hours, so I get a little bit more time with my little guy where my pain is under control. Wish I could take the ER version, but due to gastric bypass, no ER tablets work on me... Can't say it's given me my life back, because I was a wind turbine technician when I became disabled, but I get enough relief to be with my son instead of on the bed in relentless agonising pain."

mat7401 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2014

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My experience with Dilaudid is Amazing, I have Severe Chronic Pain due to an Autonomic Dysfunction called Dysautonomia, I have tried MANY MANY other pain meds. even had nerve blocks & injections but nothing worked. I would recommend Dilaudid to Anyone experiencing severe pain because it works 100% (at least for me it did but then again everyone is different)"

tbake294 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 11, 2014

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was in an auto accident that left me in a Coma for 38 days & was told by all 5 of my orthopedic Dr's I'd NEVER STAND OR WALK AGAIN. 6 mo. Later I took my first steps! I broke both hips both femurs (thigh bones) in 2 places, shattered both tibia & fibula (shin bones) & both knees. I am titanium rods the length of the bones, wires, nails & screws. I was on 4 different pain Narcotics every 2 hrs. The ONLY ONE THAT GAVE ME RELIEF WAS THE DILAUDID! None of the oxy 's or even the 100mg Morphine phased me. Now I'm on Percocet 10-325 & 100mg Morphine. Percs just knock the edge off but gives me the energy to keep moving. I WANT MY DILAUDIDS BACK & KEEP MY PERCS FOR MY BREAKTHROUGH. THEY HELP ME LEAD A PRODUCTIVE LIFE! 2yrs on "

Lisataylor42 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 23, 2014

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Gained tolerance quickly on this med- maxed out dosage/ frequency and had to add additional pains meds to address pain issues. Have not had issues with dependency thankfully-"

RunnerJ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2014

"Good pain relief but not long lasting. Doc switched me to a new one Exalgo not bad but not as good so far in long lasting 24hr dose."

nasc90 April 13, 2014

"I am receiving Dilaudid through a pain pump. It's just been a month since the surgery. I was opiate tolerant at the time. I have sarcoidosis degenerative disc disease and osteoarthritis. I feel so much better than I have in a long time. I'm not sleepy but I did get tingling in the lower left leg that went to my toes. I am stiff in joints but not sure if it's the arthritis or Dilaudid. I rate it at 8.5."

Valencia01 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2014

"I am allergic to a lot of pain meds. This is the only medicine I can take that takes the pain away."

jewwie February 14, 2014

"I have tried all of it and so far Dilaudid works best for me."

Wana be pain free January 21, 2014

"Excellent for migraines the best. Unlike all the other medicines. Again, doesn't make me sick like Relpax, effective unlike Imitrex. I just wish I could get it again."

Aza111 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 10, 2013