User Reviews for Dilaudid

Learn more about Dilaudid.

Dilaudid Review Summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 75 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Dilaudid to treat Chronic Pain

"Dilaudid has been beneficial to my daily activities. Without Dilaudid I literally cannot move. The chronic pain from fibromyalgia is indescribable. And every case is different, but it helps me. The only side effect that I must pay close attention to is headaches.... if I already have a headache, I don't take Dilaudid. It will make it worse. Once in a while, Dilaudid will cause a headache."

Rheacy (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2015

"Most effective opoid pain medication for me. Long story short, my spine is messed up from stem to stern: scoliosis, osteoarthritis, osteophytes, spinal stenosis etc. It all got much worse after my son was born which was when I was first put on the trial and error opoid rollercoaster. Tylenol 3 codeine quickly became ineffective, probably because I had up to this point been treating my pain with OTC medication (in Canada you can get low-dose Tylenol with codeine without a prescription) and I was put on Oxycodone (Percocet) which was an awful med: didn't last & withdrawal was hellish. Next up, Fentanyl patch, moderately effective but patch delivery was unreliable. Hydrocodone (Dilaudid) at last gave me some of my life and mobility back."

Canadienne (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 24, 2015

"Works"

LungCancerStg4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2015

"Finally0 found a medication with little side effects"

paulieharris (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2015

"I suffer from a very rare migraine condition called hemiplegic migraines which are neurological migraines that cause stroke like symptoms. Unlike most people, I am unable to take most medications designed for migraines since in the small print of these meds it says do not administer to those with hemiplegic migraines. I have found that Dilaudid has been a God send when I have these migraines. Just 1 shot (ratio) of 2mg of Dilaudid combined with 2mg of promethazine and it puts me into a deep enough sleep where my brain can retrigger without any rebound migraine effects. It has proven to be very successful and useful!"

Jenn Claus (taken for 10 years or more) January 30, 2015

"Dilaudid worked great for pain without all the side effects from other pain meds, but doctors are no longer willing to prescribe them. Probably due to all the abuse and how difficult the DEA is now making things for pharmacists who fill them and doctors prescribing them."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 29, 2015

"Nothing else worked except this 2mg dose without side effects. It wore off after 6 hours. Given post surgery use, but could have helped longer since everything else caused migraines."

Rotatorfix January 27, 2015

"It really makes most of the pain go away it takes a little bit for them to work but I'm on a low dose"

lisawooten (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2014

"When my migraine gets out of control this is the only medicine that kills it. The down side is that I have to go to the ER to get it and sometimes they give you a hard time as they think you are an addict."

Natisly December 15, 2014

"After a failed back surgery, my orthopedic surgeons kept telling me I %u201Cshould%u201D be walking again. I could not get out of the wheel chair I had been in for over 12 weeks without assistance. And once out of it, I could not walk without severe pain. The docs eventually found bone fragments had been pushed INTO my spine rather than being removed before bone cement was used to repair my crushed vertebrae. While they could %u201Ctry%u201D to remove them and redo the surgery, the chances of my not being able to walk, ever, were far too high to justify the risk of surgery. A brilliant pain management specialist in LA found the combination of Dilaudid and Morphine worked well for me. After starting pain medications, I was able to stand and eventually to walk again."

AZ Guy (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 30, 2014

"I've been taking this in tablet form for failed back surgery, and CRPS in both legs up to the thigh. It doesn't relieve all the pain, but it relieves enough to get me through my day of being a full time stay-at-home single dad. I think I got better relief from the oxycodone I was on before, but it would only last 2-3 hours, whereas the Dilaudid lasts a solid 4 hours, so I get a little bit more time with my little guy where my pain is under control. Wish I could take the ER version, but due to gastric bypass, no ER tablets work on me... Can't say it's given me my life back, because I was a wind turbine technician when I became disabled, but I get enough relief to be with my son instead of on the bed in relentless agonising pain."

mat7401 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2014

"My experience with Dilaudid is Amazing, I have Severe Chronic Pain due to an Autonomic Dysfunction called Dysautonomia, I have tried MANY MANY other pain meds. even had nerve blocks & injections but nothing worked. I would recommend Dilaudid to Anyone experiencing severe pain because it works 100% (at least for me it did but then again everyone is different)"

tbake294 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 11, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was in an auto accident that left me in a Coma for 38 days & was told by all 5 of my orthopedic Dr's I'd NEVER STAND OR WALK AGAIN. 6 mo. Later I took my first steps! I broke both hips both femurs (thigh bones) in 2 places, shattered both tibia & fibula (shin bones) & both knees. I am titanium rods the length of the bones, wires, nails & screws. I was on 4 different pain Narcotics every 2 hrs. The ONLY ONE THAT GAVE ME RELIEF WAS THE DILAUDID! None of the oxy 's or even the 100mg Morphine phased me. Now I'm on Percocet 10-325 & 100mg Morphine. Percs just knock the edge off but gives me the energy to keep moving. I WANT MY DILAUDIDS BACK & KEEP MY PERCS FOR MY BREAKTHROUGH. THEY HELP ME LEAD A PRODUCTIVE LIFE! 2yrs on "

Lisataylor42 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 23, 2014

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Gained tolerance quickly on this med- maxed out dosage/ frequency and had to add additional pains meds to address pain issues. Have not had issues with dependency thankfully-"

RunnerJ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2014

"Good pain relief but not long lasting. Doc switched me to a new one Exalgo not bad but not as good so far in long lasting 24hr dose."

nasc90 April 13, 2014

"I am receiving Dilaudid through a pain pump. It's just been a month since the surgery. I was opiate tolerant at the time. I have sarcoidosis degenerative disc disease and osteoarthritis. I feel so much better than I have in a long time. I'm not sleepy but I did get tingling in the lower left leg that went to my toes. I am stiff in joints but not sure if it's the arthritis or Dilaudid. I rate it at 8.5."

Valencia01 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2014

"I am allergic to a lot of pain meds. This is the only medicine I can take that takes the pain away."

jewwie February 14, 2014

"I have tried all of it and so far Dilaudid works best for me."

Wana be pain free January 21, 2014

"Excellent for migraines the best. Unlike all the other medicines. Again, doesn't make me sick like Relpax, effective unlike Imitrex. I just wish I could get it again."

Aza111 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 10, 2013

"Dilaudid keeps me wide awake. I take 4 mg for failed back surgery. It does take the edge off, but doesn't take away 1/2 of the pain. For the life of me, I cannot understand why it keeps me wide awake. I took one pill at 4:30pm yesterday and last I looked at my clock last night, it was 4:33am."

Greta-Jane (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 14, 2013

"Really helps ease the breakthrough pain. I was afraid when I first started it that it wouldn't help much at all, but in truth it works better than anything else that I have been prescribed. I have had one surgery for three herniated discs of my cervical spine and now have two more that need surgery at waist level. I have been suffering, only existing. Not living for more than ten years. Dilaudid gave me back some of my life and it doesn't make me nauseous like many of the other medications that I have been on. Even though it doesn't take away all of the pain it does make it much more tolerable. Morphine made me sick and I was severely hyper sensitive to it. I am thankful for the relief Dilaudid has given me."

chronicpain2013 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 28, 2013

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been diagnosed with rhabdomiolitis. The pain it brought was excruciating - 15 on a scale of 1 to 10. The rheumatologist ordered an initial dose of 4 mg by IV (this is an unusually high dose, the pharmacy double checked with the doctor before releasing the medicine). Subsequent doses were only 2 mg. Dilaudid took away ALL of my pain within 60 seconds. The relief lasted through the night, allowing me a full night of sleep. Hydromorphone, the tablet form, is far less effective than I.V. In fact, I was down right disappointed with the tablets. They seemed to do nothing at all for the pain. It's hard to believe that hydromorphone tablets and Dilaudid I.V. are the same medicine. I will request for my doctor to prescribe the Dilaudid injections."

Jonsonroc (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2013

"I just started taking Dilaudid a short time ago. I have lived in misery for the last 12 years with lower and upper back pain. I have been on MS Contin. Vicodin, Lortab pill and liquid. I recently hurt my back at work to the point that, I could not even drive. My doctor put me on Dilaudid and I have to say that it works well. I feel for anyone who lives with chronic pain. At least I can move and work. Maybe not as fast as I once was but, I still get the job done. Please don't give up there are other alternatives that may work for you."

Larry Woodcock (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2013

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Broke both my legs in a car crash. Shattered my right femur and broken right fibula. Dilaudid is the only when required medicine that really worked."

crash civic April 1, 2013

"Car accident, 1997 ,diagnosed fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, herniated, bulging, protruding disks, anxiety/panic disorder, migraines, and last Friday I had a heart attack! I was given Dileudid through I.V.! Best medicine I have ever experienced! "

blue1116 (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Chronic Pain