User Reviews for Dilaudid

Learn more about Dilaudid.

Dilaudid Review Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1851 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Dilaudid to treat Pain

"I was given this post breast- cyst biopsy. It has not in the least helped my severe pain. My doctor now wants me to take Dilaudid and motrin 800 hopefully I will get some relief."

JYJones (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015

"I have a Traumatic Brain Injury. I asked for Tylenol for pain and they came back with this. It worked very well. Maybe a little too well!"

CourtM (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2015

"Broke my arm and was given the drug. Caused respiratory distress. Was told to never take it again. I woke up and the medical staff was slapping me on the chest and screaming for me to breathe!"

Snasam April 28, 2015

"Went to the ER with severe back spasms. I can handle pain pretty well, but these spasms were horrendous. I have chronic spine and hip pain, but this was much worse than normal. After the Toradol Shot and the Valium weren't working, they finally gave me the Dilaudid shot. Only took about 10 minutes and I was pain free. Of course, I only had the shot and nothing else to tide me over until the chiropractor, but it was very good stuff."

TattedAllyCatt (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2015

"I was administered Dilauded in the ER after having suffered a copperhead bite to the ankle. They administered the antivenin and morphine with phenergan (sp?) and returned after about 10 minutes to check my pain level-- no effect. The dilauded didn't completely stop the pain, but it definitely took the edge off. This was my first expirence taking any narcotic-- so both the morphine and dilauded caused the "whoooosh" sensation, stomach dropped, body felt very heavy... But that sensation was much greater with dilauded. Shortly after getting the Dilauded I started vomiting pretty heavily-- but no way to know if that was the venom, antivenom, morphine, or dilauded. Lesson learned, don't step on a snake!"

Melissapolo (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2015

"After years of having brain tumors,I must take pain medication daily,but for when I can't control the pain with Tylenol #3's & my other meds. I've found a medication that works for me,Dilaudid,we have found is a very good & tolerable medication. I don't like going in for the medication, but the relief I get from it helps me sleep & gets me back to maintaining my constant headaches(with the brain tumors, I'm in constant pain,but I can manage it, most of the time.). It's a wonderful medication for those of us that need it on occasion & much less foggy than Demerol to recover from! The amount varies with me because of my chronic condition,but I never need more than 2 injections,but it's a medication NOT to be played with however!"

Wendy Sanibel March 30, 2015

"I was in the hospital for appendicitis and I was given this to help with the pain and before the entire shot was inside of me my head hit the pillow and I had instant release of pain... Greatest pain killer I've ever had"

Anonymous February 5, 2015

"I was prescribed this medication for breakthrough pain. It works better than the oxycodone and I rate it a 10. They would highly recommend this medication to people with severe pain to help with the breakthrough pain. This is Dilaudid which is a very effective medication post surgery."

pole vaulting man (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2015

"Almost instant pain relief , best I've had and I've had a lot"

Billbuoy January 9, 2015

"Taking for chronic regional pain syndrome."

dietcokesss December 18, 2014

"Took the top edge off of the pain caused by several broken bones in my foot, which was making life pretty difficult. I was left with what I'd describe as the pain from a bad bruise, but fairly easy to deal with."

Bettysdad 1 October 6, 2014

"Very pleased with the medicine. Suffered very severe pain."

Averina (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2014

"A couple of summers ago, I got a spider bite that unfortunately developed into a full blown MRSA outbreak, which spread to multiple parts of my body! I ended up being hospitalized for 3 weeks while trying to clear up the horribly painful infection, where they gave Me extreme doses of antibiotics & Dilaudid (4mg) IV every 2 hours. Within moments of each dose, ALL the pain would fade away & I'd get incomparable relief!!! However on the opposite extreme, the tablet form of this medicine (hydromorphone) that the doctor sent Me home on, didn't even compare. I couldn't even tell after taking it, I would rate the pill form a 1!"

Lil' Miss Priss May 12, 2014

"I have been on this medicine now for almost 10 years now, until recently, I've only had tolerable minor side effects, sweats and itching. Besides it relieving the pain, it is great because there are only a few other meds that it had bad interactions with (and grapefruit, the grapefruit kept the pain meds from working). Unfortunately after being on it so long, my body has gotten too used to it and no longer works for me and it has started to make my feet, ankles and calves swell. I still highly recommend Dilaudid to any one. Besides the pain relief, the withdrawals from Dilaudid are not that bad to go through."

jonestevem (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 26, 2014

"Been on it for several years for spinal condition. Never had any uncomfortable side effects from it, and it managed my pain great. Now I have been taken off Dilaudid and put on Methadone. Nausea, periodic profuse sweating along with agonizing pain is what I'm back to. I also got tired of finding doctors that were willing to prescribe it, finding a pharmacy that carried it and even if the pharmacy has them, you still have the pharmacists who decide to "play God and were not willing to fill it for you. If you are lucky enough to establish these 3. things, you're still having to deal with ignorant attitudes from people who think they know more than the orthopedic professionals that you have to see on a monthly basis."

Normally normal February 24, 2014

"I recently had a heart attack on top of my cancer and at the hospital they gave me this medicine to help control my pain. Before I had used it I was using oxycodone, but that had never truly worked to control my pain. Dilaudid, while also not fully relieving the pain, did a much greater job. Unfortunately they would not allow me to take it at home, so now I am suffering because I know what it feels like to have my pain managed and the oxycodone just isn't enough."

Vikcha (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2014

"I received it for pain following gall bladder surgery worked really well for me - I do not like codeine based products."

Brad Johnson (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2013

"Taking for pain in my right shoulder."

novmber213 December 2, 2013

"I have had 15 surgeries for injuries sustained through sports and accidents. I also have severe migraines that started when I was 18. My Xtreme sporting life is over. I am in pain 24/7. Dr too concerned about DEA so I have no solution other than load up on Advil. It worries me now because I'm getting older and the Xtreme pain really ups my BP. If severe pain and nausea lasts 3 days, I spend the $1k for the ER trip. Although each ER Doc wants to try very weak pain meds that have not worked, if I can get a shot of Dilaudid w phenergan, it seems to break the pain cycle. Morphine may work, but I can actually feel it in my body and that scares me. Just wish I didn't have to wait until I feel I'm dying and spend $1k to get relief from this drug."

OldnBroken (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 8, 2013

"I went to the ER because I had severe pain in my right flank area and was told I had a kidney stone. I get them quite frequently now and I was given Dilaudid IV. I got the warm wonderful rush and felt very floaty and quite pleasant and I felt no pain. "

sexcpillhead September 15, 2013

"Went to the ER was having a really bad gallbladder attack and was in agonizing pain! They gave me two doses of Morphine through the IV and it did nothing for the pain. Then they gave me Dilaudid through the IV and it was instant pain relief! I could have kissed the nurse who gave it to me! I did have a side effect a few hours later of itching skin especially of my face, chest and arms but I didn't care. I was so glad the pain was gone completely and fast."

BGT (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2013

"Was given tab form while in hospital for severe pneumonia and bleeding ulcers+vomiting blood. Worked extremely well, asleep within 30 min with no noticeable pain for 2+ hrs. No side effects noticeable. Although duration is short I would take it again."

kane75 (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2013

"It is helpful in neck and spine and helps the pain in my spine and neck and helps me be able to relax without constantly having to move in odd places to sleep and sit. Therefore I found that this helps with little side effects unlike other pain medication that I've been prescribed in the past."

Heimann July 22, 2013

"I was given this shot in the E.R. for intense pain from a gallstone I had been dealing with and was scheduled to have removed. Unfortunately, the Gall Bladder became infected. The shot did nothing, nor did a second dose. I had already been in pain and I rarely get relief if I wait until it gets that bad instead of taking medicines consistently to keep it under control. My boyfriend, on the other hand, had a bowel resection and was also in extreme pain despite having a morphine pump. He was switched to Dilaudid and it relieved his pain immensely. As the reviews show, everyone is different. I don't know if I didn't get relief because it was too late for me so I rated it for that and for how well it worked for my friend."

r&b930 (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2013

"I was in a motorcycle crash with a severely fractured wrist and was first given morphine, which sadly, had zero effect on the pain. The ER then gave me Dilaudid and it worked marvelously. I was in severe pain and it knocked it out well with no unpleasant side effects, as many report having with morphine. I was put on a pain pump timed for every 8 minutes and I was comfortable for the next 2 days before going home. I should mention, however, that my system processes pain medications VERY fast, so the same dose I take would likely be too strong for someone else."

Christine D. (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2013