User Reviews for Dilaudid

Learn more about Dilaudid.

Dilaudid review summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1831 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Dilaudid to treat Pain

Review by Averina (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Very pleased with the medicine. Suffered very severe pain.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 11:47 PM

Review by Lil' Miss Priss:

A couple of summers ago, I got a spider bite that unfortunately developed into a full blown MRSA outbreak, which spread to multiple parts of my body! I ended up being hospitalized for 3 weeks while trying to clear up the horribly painful infection, where they gave Me extreme doses of antibiotics & Dilaudid (4mg) IV every 2 hours. Within moments of each dose, ALL the pain would fade away & I'd get incomparable relief!!! However on the opposite extreme, the tablet form of this medicine (hydromorphone) that the doctor sent Me home on, didn't even compare. I couldn't even tell after taking it, I would rate the pill form a 1!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2014 9:53 PM

Review by jonestevem (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been on this medicine now for almost 10 years now, until recently, I've only had tolerable minor side effects, sweats and itching. Besides it relieving the pain, it is great because there are only a few other meds that it had bad interactions with (and grapefruit, the grapefruit kept the pain meds from working). Unfortunately after being on it so long, my body has gotten too used to it and no longer works for me and it has started to make my feet, ankles and calves swell. I still highly recommend Dilaudid to any one. Besides the pain relief, the withdrawals from Dilaudid are not that bad to go through.

March 26, 2014 6:08 AM

Review by Normally normal:

Been on it for several years for spinal condition. Never had any uncomfortable side effects from it, and it managed my pain great. Now I have been taken off Dilaudid and put on Methadone. Nausea, periodic profuse sweating along with agonizing pain is what I'm back to. I also got tired of finding doctors that were willing to prescribe it, finding a pharmacy that carried it and even if the pharmacy has them, you still have the pharmacists who decide to "play God and were not willing to fill it for you. If you are lucky enough to establish these 3. things, you're still having to deal with ignorant attitudes from people who think they know more than the orthopedic professionals that you have to see on a monthly basis.

February 24, 2014 12:31 PM

Review by Vikcha (taken for less than 1 month):

I recently had a heart attack on top of my cancer and at the hospital they gave me this medicine to help control my pain. Before I had used it I was using oxycodone, but that had never truly worked to control my pain. Dilaudid, while also not fully relieving the pain, did a much greater job. Unfortunately they would not allow me to take it at home, so now I am suffering because I know what it feels like to have my pain managed and the oxycodone just isn't enough.

February 8, 2014 1:06 PM

Review by Brad Johnson (taken for less than 1 month):

I received it for pain following gall bladder surgery worked really well for me - I do not like codeine based products.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2013 5:34 PM

Review by novmber213:

Taking for pain in my right shoulder.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 2, 2013 6:03 AM

Review by OldnBroken (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have had 15 surgeries for injuries sustained through sports and accidents. I also have severe migraines that started when I was 18. My Xtreme sporting life is over. I am in pain 24/7. Dr too concerned about DEA so I have no solution other than load up on Advil. It worries me now because I'm getting older and the Xtreme pain really ups my BP. If severe pain and nausea lasts 3 days, I spend the $1k for the ER trip. Although each ER Doc wants to try very weak pain meds that have not worked, if I can get a shot of Dilaudid w phenergan, it seems to break the pain cycle. Morphine may work, but I can actually feel it in my body and that scares me. Just wish I didn't have to wait until I feel I'm dying and spend $1k to get relief from this drug.

November 8, 2013 7:06 PM

Review by sexcpillhead:

I went to the ER because I had severe pain in my right flank area and was told I had a kidney stone. I get them quite frequently now and I was given Dilaudid IV. I got the warm wonderful rush and felt very floaty and quite pleasant and I felt no pain.

September 15, 2013 10:48 PM

Review by BGT (taken for less than 1 month):

Went to the ER was having a really bad gallbladder attack and was in agonizing pain! They gave me two doses of Morphine through the IV and it did nothing for the pain. Then they gave me Dilaudid through the IV and it was instant pain relief! I could have kissed the nurse who gave it to me! I did have a side effect a few hours later of itching skin especially of my face, chest and arms but I didn't care. I was so glad the pain was gone completely and fast.

August 12, 2013 11:19 PM

Review by kane75 (taken for less than 1 month):

Was given tab form while in hospital for severe pneumonia and bleeding ulcers+vomiting blood. Worked extremely well, asleep within 30 min with no noticeable pain for 2+ hrs. No side effects noticeable. Although duration is short I would take it again.

August 8, 2013 6:48 AM

Review by Heimann:

It is helpful in neck and spine and helps the pain in my spine and neck and helps me be able to relax without constantly having to move in odd places to sleep and sit. Therefore I found that this helps with little side effects unlike other pain medication that I've been prescribed in the past.

July 22, 2013 12:31 PM

Review by r&b930 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was given this shot in the E.R. for intense pain from a gallstone I had been dealing with and was scheduled to have removed. Unfortunately, the Gall Bladder became infected. The shot did nothing, nor did a second dose. I had already been in pain and I rarely get relief if I wait until it gets that bad instead of taking medicines consistently to keep it under control. My boyfriend, on the other hand, had a bowel resection and was also in extreme pain despite having a morphine pump. He was switched to Dilaudid and it relieved his pain immensely. As the reviews show, everyone is different. I don't know if I didn't get relief because it was too late for me so I rated it for that and for how well it worked for my friend.

July 22, 2013 6:39 AM

Review by Christine D. (taken for less than 1 month):

I was in a motorcycle crash with a severely fractured wrist and was first given morphine, which sadly, had zero effect on the pain. The ER then gave me Dilaudid and it worked marvelously. I was in severe pain and it knocked it out well with no unpleasant side effects, as many report having with morphine. I was put on a pain pump timed for every 8 minutes and I was comfortable for the next 2 days before going home. I should mention, however, that my system processes pain medications VERY fast, so the same dose I take would likely be too strong for someone else.

February 15, 2013 10:15 PM

Review by The cub (taken for 1 to 2 years):

So I was prescribed this drug for six months due to low cartilage in my knees. Yes it works however coming off of any opiate is hard! I would not recommend prolong use of any opiate.

January 24, 2013 3:41 PM

Review by Vtwinner95 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have had severe headaches for more than 20 years. Tried just about everything Doctors could come up with both for prevention and immediate pain reduction. Nothing worked well untill I was prescribed Dilaudid. Got my life back. No more 3 month long headaches. No drowsiness or other noticeable side effects.

January 23, 2013 11:27 PM

Review by JakRak (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I agree with most when you say Dilaudid works best in an IV at the hospital. The pill form works very well but just takes a bit longer for relief. I've been on many pain medicines over the years but I find that this medication helps me to be more productive everyday...pain free!

January 10, 2013 9:30 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

The medication took the pain away.

October 24, 2012 7:56 PM

Review by DianeA2Z (taken for less than 1 month):

I was given Dilaudid while being treated in the hospital for gastritis/esophogeal pain. The pain was very severe and my blood pressure rose to over 200/100. Within 30 seconds of the Dilaudid being inserted into my I.V., the pain in my sternum was gone and I was relaxed and sleepy. (After the first "Whoooosh" head rush). Although I could have it every 2 hours, after the first 2 doses, the pain relief lasted 4-6 hours. Most effective, and I reacted to it better than I had done in previous hospitalizations when receiving morphine.

September 16, 2012 10:33 PM

Review by 49erBry (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had an IV drip of Dilaudid for herniated discs in my neck. Then I took 2 x 4mg pills. It helped a little with the pain. I have Lyme and Fibromyalgia so my whole body is in pain usually an 8-10 or higher 24/7, 365 a year. I take Dilaudid often but it barely takes the edge off. It should be very helpful for a person not on pain killer long term and they need relief very fast for severe pain. Morphine drip and Dilaudid drip both felt about the same to me even though Dilaudid is supposed to be stronger.

July 11, 2012 1:14 AM

Review by stint jack (taken for less than 1 month):

The only times I have had the medicine is when I have had arterial surgeries and Dilaudid was administered by IV. As previous posts have stated, it goes into effect 30 - 60 seconds after administration, but with a slight heating effect in the injected vein. Soon after the blissful pain relief has occurred. I was able to intently listen to a book or watch TV: sleep was also easy if I wanted. This was only a 1mg dose, but surprisingly effective. It killed the pain while allowing one to be mentally alert (if desired), unlike morphine. I highly recommend this medicine for hospital pain relief, but for longer term pain relief, up to 6 hours, it was supplemented with 5 mg of Vicodin.

July 9, 2012 11:30 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have degenerative disc disease. Medication works well. I have been on it for a year now with my oxycodone. It works miracles, I can go to work everyday and support my family ans when I come home I can actually enjoy the daily activities with my children, I once could not have thought of doing. I am so glad my life is back and am so grateful for a great doctor who after years found a way to put me back on my feet.

June 14, 2012 9:50 PM

Review by Dr.rpoole (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I was in a MVA 2004 after which I had to have 6 spine surgeries and 3 total hip replacements and due for a forth. I'm in severe pain most of the time, its hard for me to walk around. When I take my pain medicine I'm able to move a lot better. It doesn't stop all the pain but it makes it bearable.

June 3, 2012 6:31 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have severe back problems and ended up in the emergency room I was not able to walk or hold up my torso! I was given intravenous Dilaudid and was given immediate relief! Unfortunately after 4 doses of 2mg oral tablets I had to discontinue use I developed hives over 90 percent of my body.

May 31, 2012 10:25 AM

Review by Twilightdream71 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Dilaudid is used for break through pain and it does an excellent job. I can honestly say that this medicine works very well between doses of my primary medicine. I would recommend that everyone follow your doctors directions to the letter, never take more than you are prescribed of ANY medicine. If I hadn't been put on the proper medicines, I would likely have ended up in an institution due to the pain being so bad. People don't realize how hard it is to live with chronic pain 24/7 unless they have been there at some point themselves.

May 16, 2012 1:13 PM