User Reviews for Dilaudid

Learn more about Dilaudid.

Dilaudid review summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1832 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Dilaudid to treat Pain

Review by sarcoid:

It is the most effective pain reliever there is.

June 20, 2009 10:49 PM

My first kidney stone. Very painful. Went to ER since I didn't know what was happening. Cat scan = kidney stone ~2mm. I wasn't going to die and it would pass. They 1st gave me IV morphine. That took the pain down about 20% to a manageable but still very painful level for about 10 minutes then it jumped back up as if I'd had nothing. They then gave me Dilaudid saying it worked on different receptors. In 2 minutes the pain dropped about 75% and stayed down for about 4 hours until it wore off. Dilaudid seems to work differently than morphine. A great and powerful medication.

June 20, 2009 12:41 AM

I have a genetic condition that causes the rapid formation of kidney stones. I am 25, and three weeks ago I felt what would be my 8th stone starting to move. A CAT scan had already determined that all of my stones were 5mm or smaller, meaning that they would pass on their own and not warrant surgery. Well, this stone was very bad, and I ended up at the ER. After over four hours, I finally received 4mg of morphine through IV, which did absolutely nothing for me. The doctor was very surprised, and came back later with 3mg of Dilaudid through IV. It certainly helped, but it did not eliminate the pain. It took the pain from a 10 out of 10 to probably a 6 out of 10. It did allow me to relax and drink water to pass it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 17, 2009 11:25 PM

Review by kumu nuku:

I have a C-5/6/7 fusion with a titianium cage. Confirmed nerve damage at C-7 via nerve conduction study. Like most of you I've been on many types of pain medications. It is different for each and so is the tolerence. I am finally stable taking hydromorphone 8mg. and OxyContin 30 mg. I take them "backwards" meaning the hydromorphoe is for "base" pain and the OxyContin is taken at night so I can make it through the entire sleep cycle without waking up due to pain. I do not have breakthrough pain on this regiment and it is less expensive. Also please have your testosterone levels checked since these medications can lower it. I take Testim; a gel, that brings my levels back to normal. Testosterone affects your heart, mood and other functions.

June 7, 2009 7:44 PM

Dilaudid worked wonders for my kidney stones. I had a 8.5mm stone in my right kidney. They gave 2mg of Dilaudid through i.v. in ER and I didn't fill much pain after that.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2009 8:26 AM

Review by Serra:

This medication helps me a lot, for pain due to major surgery.

May 23, 2009 11:17 PM

I've been on pain medicines since I was 8, for degenerative disc disease. Starting when I was 24 and after surgery for herniated discs (L3-L4, L4-L5) I went through quite a few medicine trials before I found Ultram. This one worked great until my L5-S1 herniated and the last epidural I received triggered severe sciatic pain. After a visit to the ED, I was given Dilaudid 2mg intramuscularly and sent home with a script for the oral 2mg 1-2 tablets as needed. Between Ultram, Gabapentin and Dilaudid (alternating Ultram during the day and Dilaudid at night), I can still keep working for a little while longer until the next spinal surgery. Ultram does not replace Dilaudid, but I found it keeps me alert and pain level within my pain tolerance range.

April 4, 2009 6:51 PM

Review by Neka08:

I was given dilaudid by iv while I was pregnant, for gallstone pain. I was so depressed because I stayed sick and in pain and I couldn't experience the joys of being pregnant. But dilaudid allowed me to be a little bit more comfortable.

March 8, 2009 9:14 PM

For those in Canada suffering from chronic pain, the long-acting version, Hydromorph Contin, is wonderful when combined with the Dilaudid for breakthrough pain. I take 9mg (6mg 3mg pills) twice a day, plus the 4mg of dilaudid for the breakthrough pain. Only bad thing I can say about it is that my tolerance level for this, and other medications, is very high. And I'm only 27 years old.

March 2, 2009 11:48 AM

I received 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree burns (10% Body - when water was split on my leg and lap) that ended up getting infected while on vacation. I had received some other medicines at 2 different ER visits before flying home (before the burns were infected), but when I arrived at my doctor he prescribed Dilaudid pills for me (2mg each to be taken 4 times daily). I about died each day. I could "fill them working for about 1-2 hours but the next 4-5 was torture. I soon changed to a "weaker drug" that worked better on me. I have been given Dilaudid Shots of 2mg at the ER for migraines, but when taken orally the medicine does not go into the system fast enough or for long enough.

February 28, 2009 7:39 AM

Worked well for migraines when given intravenously. Have not tried pill form yet but have prescription.

February 25, 2009 1:27 AM

Went to the ER because of sciatic nerve pressure for severe pain and multiple muscles spasms that would not stop. 2 injections of dilaudid had no effect at all. Tried some 4mg oral dilaudid tablets and no effect at all. This is most likely a very effective pain reliever but this indicates that not all pain relievers work on me. Doctors don't believe me so I almost always refuse to take any pain medication. I think I need to be studied.

February 20, 2009 11:50 PM

Review by ebpotter1:

I am a 62-yr old woman with a number of health-related issues that cause chronic and sometimes acute pain; including three herniated disks (C3-C6), lower back pain and bad knees. Percocet, Darvocet and Vicodin upset my stomach, so I've only been on Lodine 2x day for the past two years. My doctor suggested a trial on Dilaudid - 2mg to 4mg every 4-6 hours until I can have a knee replacement. 2mg did not make me pain-free, but definitely was an improvement. However, 4mg allowed me to walk without pain for the first time in months. It makes me sleepy, but aside from that there have been no unpleasant side effects. Dilaudid is a wonder drug for anyone who experiences chronic pain.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2009 4:32 PM

Dilaudid is a powerful drug that works great. I found my tolerance for it raised and an increase in dosage was needed.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2009 1:57 PM

This drug is very effective. I had surgery earlier today on my rectum, and I get complete relief from four milligrams taken by mouth. The sole side effect appears to be a degree of sleepiness, but compared to other drugs of similar potency, this one seems to induce minimal impairment. The horrors (hallucinations) are readily controlled by a small amount of valium.

January 30, 2009 12:58 AM

Review by screwloose:

Great.

December 30, 2008 6:10 PM

Review by Tobysmom:

While I was in the Emergency Room the doctors diagonosis was that I had a blood clot in the right lung. I was given morphine, which didn't work, they then gave me Dilaudid and it was a wonderful pain reliever. Thank you for the pharmaceutical advances that have been made to help me in my hours of pain.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2008 12:57 PM

I broke my ankle in 4 places. I was given an injection of this in the ER so they could do a closed reduction of my fracture. Despite being given 4 shots total, I didn't get any relief.

December 8, 2008 1:02 PM

Review by empressof:

I had this when I was in the hospital (9 times in 2 years). It is the best medicine I have ever used. I hate the feeling pain medicines give you. This one just made me sleepy and pain free. Too bad they wouldn't let me take it at home. I am now on the fentanyl patch instead.

November 30, 2008 12:04 AM

Review by rob10:

Since my doctor prescribed Dilaudid I can tell a world of difference. It actually controls my pain to the extent that I can carry out my daily routine. I am very pleassed.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2008 2:48 PM

Review by mickeyd53:

This medication helps with my break through pain.

October 28, 2008 5:34 PM

Review by JoshuaEinbinder:

Very good drug for my pain management. Causes slight drowsiness. Highly reccomended if your doctor will prescribe.

September 19, 2008 4:43 PM

I was given Dilaudid after being in the hospital for bowel obstruction. Worst pain of my LIFE! In IV form its amazing, total pain relief in 60 seconds. It was hard to get perscribed in pill form but finally found a pain doctor that agreed it was a better drug for me. I now take 4mg pills every 6-8 hours and can lead a normal life. There are no side effects, but it is hard to get a script for. Take only as doctor says, DO NOT take more.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2008 7:17 PM

I take dilaudid for a severe kidney stone condition. I take the pills at home (4mg), although I start by cutting them in half and only take 2mg to start. If 2mg don't help, I take the other half of the pill for a total of 4mg. I take the dilaudid in combination with MS Contin. Like many others have said, I have tried many other pain medications and dilaudid is the ONLY thing that helps me with my pain. Morphine does not help (it makes me very sick - although the long acting MS Contin is ok). When the pills are not able to control my pain, or after surgery I take IV dilaudid, and this is the best pain medication. There have been times I've been curled in a ball in tears the pain has been so bad and this works instantly.

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2008 1:25 AM

Review by customs572:

Great pain narcotic, works in about 20 minutes after oral administration. I am on 4 mg tablets, every six hours, usually one a day does the trick. I also take it in conjuction with 30mg of Oxycontin ER. I can actually get out of bed and do something. Be advised though that withdrwals could be severe. I had withdrawls after last dose twelve hours ago, so you must taper off. Do it with your doctors help though.

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2008 5:18 PM