User Reviews for Prozac

Schizoaffective Disorder 0 reviews 28 medications

Summary of Prozac reviews 311 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Prozac

Review by Wickedsmile (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety and Stress: I posted my initial experience with Prozac a few months back and it still is working great! I have lost a few pounds, still eat much less than before and my anxiety is all but gone. I no longer need Klonopin-I was taking about 5 of those a week prior to Prozac. I am on a low dosage and have not needed to adjust up or down. Bottom line-my anxiety is under control and I feel great-without any side effects.

February 10, 2014 12:56 AM

Review by vinpb90:

For Depression: It's always a test of one person. Everyone will have anti-depressants that work best for them. I tried Lexapro and Wellbutrin. I hated Wellbutrin. Prozac gave me ZERO side effects. No sexual frustration, no irritability, and no insomnia. I'm on my 6th month and just got bumped from 20mg to 40mg because of seasonal depression and feel a HUGE deal better. I've lost 10lbs in 3 weeks because my appetite and drinking are also under control. I've also heard Prozac is associated with weight loss. If something isn't working for you, give it a try.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 9, 2014 1:37 PM

Review by annie lou one:

For Depression: I had slipped into a depression following some traumatic life events. The mornings were worse and often unbearable. I became suicidal. I was also agitated. I was desperate and went to GP and prescribed fluoxetine 20mg. I have been taking them for six weeks and feel so much better. Mood has lifted and morning depression has stopped. Its saved my life. Side effects were a sore throat and cold symptoms which lasted four days. Yawning as well. Best thing I ever did was admit I had a problem and take medicines.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2014 5:09 PM

Review by Ju Ra Ni (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: Female, 27 y.o., 20mg, also taking Bupropion. It really helped to "lift the fog" of my depression. My boyfriend noticed my mood lift within a couple days. It all but killed my appetite and I lost a lot of weight quickly; 17 lbs within a few weeks, 1-2 pounds a day. My appetite gradually returned and my weight plateaued. I experienced a different side effect every day during the 1st week. Numb; dizzy; nauseous; migraines. I quit imbibing because it only made me sleepy with a headache. That may have contributed to weight-loss and eventual regain as my alcohol tolerance returned to some degree. I still get the headaches, though less frequently, and I'll take a headache over crippling anxiety and depression any old day.

January 25, 2014 12:48 AM

Review by doing my best (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: Prozac has literally saved my life not once but twice! The first was after the birth of my son I was on 20mg I was struggling with obsessive compulsive disorder, depression and severe anxiety. Prozac along with therapy made it able for me to live a normal life for almost 5 years. I just recently had a horrible bought with anxiety. I am finally coming out of that nightmare. I had a lot of life stressors that brought on the anxiety and caused the break, as much as I tried I couldn't come out of it so my Dr. increased my dose to 40mg. I have been on the 40mg for exactly a week today and I am so excited and cautious to say when I woke up this morning my heart wasn't beating out of my chest and I have been able to enjoy my day!

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2014 8:25 PM

Review by zfly (taken for less than 1 month):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: One week ago I started Prozac and side effects have been bad for me. Fatigue, headaches, body ache, forgetful, sleepy, nightmares, yawning. My Doc told me to give it another week. Hopefully everything will work out. I am tired of PMS.

January 7, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by nomercy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Prozac saved me.

January 6, 2014 3:07 PM

Review by lirpa13:

For Anxiety and Stress: I started to take Prozac several months back to get off Effexor. It really made that transition smooth. I take 20mg every other day. I find it helps with Anxiety but, not enough to wean off Klonopin. I know I'm normally over social and Prozac makes me anti-social. I don't mind because I'm only anti-social with people I don't need to be associated with. I believe my ability to orgasm has improved from Effexor to Prozac. I tend to sleep more than I should, but it's better than tossing and turning. My motivation is at an all time low right now, I don't know if it's the Prozac or work. I gained weight initially, but it's coming off slowly and evening out. I would recommend Prozac, it's not as feeling/responsibility numbing as others meds.

January 5, 2014 10:36 PM

Review by misslayla1998:

For Depression: I have been taking Prozac (fluoxetine) for about a month now. I'm 15 and I am taking it for anxiety disorder and depression. So far it has been working. I have not been at all depressed for a while. It took about a week and a half for it to start making a difference. I noticed that I'm more calm when it comes to stress. I like it. I'm taking 10mg at the moment. The only complaint I have about it, is that I have noticed an increase in appetite, which I hate.

December 28, 2013 7:05 PM

Review by bradstreetbassler:

For Anxiety and Stress: This medication saved my life!

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2013 2:05 PM

Review by dannyboy35 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: I've been depressed, with high levels of anxiety for ten years. I tried several different medications and I finally settled with an anti-depressant to help with sleep, and also was taking 3 Klonopin a day as well as trazodone at night for sleep for seven years. So I'm really thinking I may be on all these medicines for life and maybe be put on disability. So the doc finally put me on Prozac. It's been 2 months now and my anxiety has gone way down, I am less depressed, I no longer worry about things and am off trazodone and don't take Klonopin anymore. I have great dreams and wake up every morning with happy songs in my head, and I'm much more social. Prozac has just been a blessing, probably saved my life as I had lost all hope.

187 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2013 9:44 AM

Review by Better now (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: It obviously affects everyone differently. I've been taking Fluoxetine for about 10 years 20mg per day. Yes it has some side effects which are difficult to anticipate and manage, it can make me overly excited, and at times a little euphoric, which arrives quickly making it difficult to contain. On the other side I suffered from manic depression and I used to happily go into a black hole in a blind rage, and the medication just stopped that completely so I feel like it's a very positive trade off. I do get very sleepy, and tired so honestly I just sleep more? I tried reducing my dosage a couple of times over the years I've been taking this but could not handle the withdrawal.

December 3, 2013 3:39 AM

Review by xzombieLaura:

For Depression: Doctor prescribed me Prozac & asked that I attend group therapy to help any underlying issues. My depression came out in the form of anger - EVERYTHING annoyed me for no reason. At first, I felt no different taking the medication. After a few months, my brother was the person to realize that it was working. He pointed out that we had been getting along & very little seemed to annoy me anymore. Side effects: I was in a haze. For example: I would be driving and could completely miss the street I was suppose to turn on to & wouldn't realize it until 3 miles later. Most people describe themselves as a zombie in this haze. With Prozac & therapy, I was on Prozac for about a year.

November 18, 2013 10:42 AM

Review by Daniellebb (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: Worked for about a month then I started sleeping 13-15 hours a night and lost all motivation.

November 14, 2013 8:16 AM

Review by DPenn (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I had my first major depressive episode in the late 80's when my first child was a toddler. I was put on 20 mg of Prozac and felt like I got my life back. However, it seemed to quit working and the next 20 years I went through almost every SSRI there is as well as a couple of common anti-anxiety drugs and none of them seemed to work very well. About 4 years ago I went back on Prozac and this time I was taking 60 mg for ocd. It has worked quite well but I think my body is getting used to it again. My doctor wants me to consider changing to Lovox. I had thought I had already tried that in the past but I have to do something because I feel like I am slipping into the abyss again.

November 13, 2013 6:12 PM

Review by College Student (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I absolutely loved Prozac. It helped me immensely! I noticed an extremely positive change in my mood and behavior after my body adjusted to the medication. Friends and family were surprised to hear that I was even on medication because of how relaxed and happy my disposition became. I'm happy I gave it a chance. I built my way up to 60 mg a day for almost a year. However, my body has become used to it over time and I'm having to change medications.

November 12, 2013 8:34 AM

Review by wickedsmile (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: I had been on Celexa for 2 years which caused weight gain, low motivation, sleepiness, and my anxiety came back full strength. Now 1 week on Prozac and I feel like myself again. High energy, good appetite, alert, no anxiety-basically I feel great! I was drinking 5 alcoholic beverages a day now I am not interested in drinking more than 2 a day. I am over 45 and my vision was beginning to slip when reading items close up. ever since I started Prozac my vision has improved and I can see things less than 6 inches from my face. Not sure why that happened but it did. Give it a try-you will get your life back.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2013 12:17 PM

Review by Slippers and pjs:

For Anxiety and Stress: I'm a teenager and I have had pretty severe anxiety for about 3 to 4 years. It stopped me from doing normal high school things, like going to dances, making friends, and going to parties because those kinds things terrifies me. I went to a psychiatrist and since my anxiety has been negatively effecting my life she prescribed me 20 ml of prozac once a day. This has seriously changed my life. I've tried all the natural medications and techniques that claim to work but nothing had worked for me. It took a while to kick in but once it did I became a whole new person. I've been so happy and can do things without worrying!

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2013 9:57 PM

Review by Wickedsmile (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: I just switched to Prozac and it is a life changer! I am no longer tired and my anxiety is controlled. Day 4 for now, and I feel 100% better than a month ago....

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2013 10:07 PM

Review by Ket89:

For Depression: Prozac really worked for me. It kept my depression under control along with my anxiety. Only side affects is you can forget about sex!!! I also experienced short term memory loss.

October 29, 2013 8:38 PM

Review by uhhhmmmm:

For Anxiety and Stress: I started taking 10mg prozac for 2 days. On the 2nd day my whole body ached like the flu and my throat is sore. I took Tylenol for the body aches and pretty much slept the whole day. Around 2am I started vomitting up bile until 5 am. Cold sweats, clammy and shaking. My dr. told me to stop taking the prozac but my body still aches so bad.

October 25, 2013 6:26 PM

Review by Crash and Burn:

For Anxiety and Stress: Anger management issues and depression had plagued me my whole life. I have been fired from many a job for the problems I would bring upon myself. I've been on Prozac 20mg for 10 years and it has changed my life. I was able to perform with minimal issues and my wife didn't divorce me even though she had grounds to so. WARNING! I couldn't get a renewal from my doctor because he stopped taking my insurance. So I tried to get another doctor but appointments were months away and went off my meds cold turkey. 6 weeks into the withdrawal I was fired from my job, of which I loved, because I had a meltdown. I was yelled at by another employee and I started to loose control. The bottom line was they escorted me out of the building.

October 24, 2013 6:17 AM

Review by Living better (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: I suffer from chronic anxiety with periodic bouts of mild depression for 20 years. I tried everything...acupuncture, diet, exercise, and 5-htp. Had a horrible experience with Zoloft and Paxil when I developed depression in college. I tried antidepressants for 2 months but with horrible side effects. As a result, I avoided medications to address my anxiety and/ or mild depression through the years. Unfortunately, my anxiety level became unbearable this past year. I tried the following: lexapro...5-10 mg absolutely horrible. Made me extremely tired, depressed and never reduced my anxiety level. Xanax: extremely helpful but still experienced agitation, stress, irritability, and anxiousness. Prozac: 10-20 mg. a life changer. I feel relaxed.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2013 1:52 PM

Review by Oddmolly:

For Bulimia: I have suffered Bulimia for about 10 years and at different stages was binging/purging up to 5 times a day. Over the years I have tried so many medications, but Prozac is the first to really assist. I started on 20mg, which has recently increased to 40mg. This is the only medicine/therapy that has dramatically decreased my impulse to binge/purge. I am feeling so happy within myself and it has really assisted with my depression and low energy levels too. One odd side effect I have noted is that I am yawning a lot, a small price to pay to being in control of my eating and mood. This is definitely worth a try if you are having bulimic symptoms and recommend it highly. Good luck.

October 16, 2013 7:10 AM

Review by Phil1987uk (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I suffered with Obsessive compulsive disorder & generalized anxiety disorder which caused depression and stress. I came on here in June looking for answers, I used to be on Sertraline but they stopped working after I had stopped and went back on them. I thought my life was over. I got put on 20mg Prozac by my Doctor, and it is the best medicine ever, I would highly recommend it, it gave me my life back, I am so happy, no more stresses. Also I have no side effects. Give it about 6 weeks trust me and you will see how this works. Unbelievable. 10/10!

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2013 5:52 AM