User Reviews for Prozac

Schizoaffective Disorder 0 reviews 28 medications

1.2
Summary of Prozac reviews 375 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Prozac

For Depression "I've taken Prozac a few times starting at 22. That 1st time was a nightmare! I literally lost time- only remember crying all the time...I don't even remember how long I took it! But that WAS 25 yrs ago. So I was deathly afraid to try it again til about 6 yrs ago. That time it was a lifesaver! I felt my mood lift alot after a week, then even more after a month. These results lasted for several yrs with some sexual side effects, but less than with Zoloft & Lexapro (which also caused waking WIRED every 4 hrs). After a few yrs it felt like I was on nothing at all so I switched to Pristiq which again, saved my life. Now I'm back to Prozac. But I'm sure it's more about what's going on in my life. Nothing works without situations improving as well."

AuntiePoomPoom777 November 18, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on every antidepressant known to mankind and they were awful to me. Either the side effects were too bad or it turned me into a complete zombie to the point work was out of the question, and then my dr said we would try one more called Prozac and the reason he had not prescribed it before was because it took 6-8 weeks to reach full effect as where the others took less then half that time. I started out taking 10mg because I have always been very sensitive to antidepressants and their side effects. For about the first 2 or 3 weeks I experience light anxiety... Then finally the 6 weeks passed and still nothing, but then finally about 8 weeks into the mediation, I feel like Santa Clause on steroids! It has saved my life! "

kd3h (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress "I have had 0 panic attacks all my life until last Oct when I got my 1st one which I called 911. 2 days later I had another one in which I was taken to the ER and given Ativan they said due to panic attack/anxiety. Scared me both times felt like I was dying. The nurse said she took Lexapro so I asked my doc to let me try that one first since the nurse had great luck, but I didn't like it! My coworker told me she takes Prozac so I switched meds to try it and WOW, not anxious like I want to pass out at the grocery store or in the middle of a packed restaurant! I have been taking 20mg and my doc said since I had such success he wants me on 40mg. This medication Prozac has let me live life again and not feel like I'm going to pass out in public."

Savedme November 17, 2014

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "In 1995, I was miserable for no particular reason and was diagnosed with depression and prescribed Prozac. Great life, depression in check. In 2013, I weened myself off it because I didn't think I needed it anymore. As luck would have it, I hit a period of challenging events in life that they brain interpreted as trauma. To cope, I began drinking a little which evolved into daily. I concluded that I had gone off Prozac, decreased self control and created a personal crisis. I'm back on Prozac and my moods have leveled off and I so far have the ability to abstain. I won't go off it again."

Lorenzo P November 14, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I started on 20 mg of Prozac for GAD. The first two weeks have been hell - insomnia, nausea, vomiting, weight loss, and anxiety. The side effects seem to be subsiding. Now more balanced than before."

Male 47 November 9, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder "I treated my major depression with any type of narcotics or benzos. I was so depressed just wanted to die. But I found Prozac. Now loving life clean sober and happy. Please try this medication. 40 mg 1xday. Free at local health department"

jonathon1990 November 1, 2014

For Depression "I've been taking fluoxetine for 6 months now. I started taking at night after my first day due to drowsiness. I wake up periodically through out the night. My dr says it's not the medicine. But it has to be. I haven't had a good nights sleep in months! & I've always loved to sleep. The medicine works awesome though"

CamiK November 1, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder "The best SSRI, beat depression, anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder."

wer2 October 24, 2014

For Depression "I suffered horribly with post partum depression and severe anxiety for 2 years after the birth. Felt so terrible. All the time, felt like I couldn't do anything. Everything overwhelmed me. Tried Prozac and didn't notice a difference for 2 weeks, then slowly started feeling calmer and could somewhat focus on tasks and errands. I started supplements, vitamin D3 and fish oil. Felt more relief with this combination of Prozac and supplements. Noticed a lift of mood and sleep was once again welcomed instead of torture. I had severe insomnia during my Depression. All I can say is I've been on this combination for 5 almost 6 years and felt much better. My heart goes out to anyone suffering from this illness."

luv1977 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 23, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "Saved my life."

Raya1128 October 22, 2014

For Depression "I'm on week one and I feel a difference already. Been depressed for years on and off. Finally felt strong enough to share my story with someone and was diagnosed severe depression. I always thought the way out of depression is to fix was is bothering you and everything will be fine. 6 Years later, I missed out on fun, laughter and family. Won't let time fly by anymore. I hope I continue to want to go outside, meet people and lose weight. I will keep you posted."

LoveMiami October 20, 2014

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been on Prozac for approx 25 years. Whenever I try to get off of it I never feel as good as I do when I take it. I recommend this medicine to treat depression, anxiety, bulimia, obsessive compulsive disorder and stress."

liked prozac (taken for 10 years or more) October 13, 2014

239 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I feel good...not great...but better than before. I can't lose weight and I am on 40mg."

delarla123 October 10, 2014

For Depression "I've been taking this now for about six weeks. At first it worked well, but for the last two weeks it seems to have stopped working. I've been taking ten tablets a day for the last 6 days, that's 200mg daily, of fluoxetine and it does nothing. I'm going to call my doctor and ask to try something else."

Dave UK October 5, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress "Prozac worked wonders for my anxiety and mild depression. I always struggled with PMS-related anxiety, but after some big life changes, morning anxiety was more and more frequent and my motivation and drive to accomplish anything was low. I didn't want to get out of bed, even though nothing was wrong with my life. I just had an overarching feeling of hopelessness. Went to the doctor and she prescribed 20mg. Had bad nausea the first two weeks, then it went away, but I was still struggling with anxiety some mornings. She bumped me up to 40mg, and although it's only been a few days, I can totally tell a difference. I'm more motivated, happy and content. No anxiety. No nausea. Grateful for this med. I feel good for the first time in awhile."

aem0020 (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2014

253 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been an anxiety/depression patient for 5 years now. Have taken all kinds of medicines have had stints of quitting only to fall back on the meds, went medication free for 3 full months before symptoms began to show again. can honestly say that FOR ME Prozac has allowed me to live life. At my worst I wasn't even able to go in a store even if it was only for one item. Now I can take my kids grocery shopping with no issues. Like I said FOR ME this has worked."

spinelessplague September 20, 2014

149 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "It made me crazy. I couldn't eat or sleep or sit still."

Kissoflife123 September 19, 2014

For Depression "Worked well for a 5 years. No side effect. ."

SandyBlonde (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 18, 2014

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have been taking fluoxetine for about five months now. It has been a God send for me! I am notoriously moody, possibly from BPD, and I do have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder where I have repetitive thoughts and the only way I can describe Prozac is that it feels like a vice grip on your brain that made you think about things over and over, releases completely. I feel so in control and wherever I put my focus, it stays without drifting back. I love this medication so much I will never leave it. The only complaint I have is that it does take forever to work. Forget about the 6 to 8 week rule, it will take a few months. And when it works, you will feel so amazing. For me, 60 mgs is ideal."

Southern Summer September 15, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bulimia "I would not be alive today if not for Prozac. I was throwing up 5 times a day and so desperately unhappy I often thought of suicide. I escaped an abusive childhood only to move on to the living hell that is bulimia. Within two weeks of Prozac my all consuming thoughts about food, weight & throwing up diminished and I started focusing on my future, college and doing something other than throwing up all day. I weaned myself off of it after about 2 years of being bulimia free. I was bulimic for 13 years and haven't thrown up now in 15 years (except for the flu). Please try it for bulimia, no negative side effects that I remember."

prozac saved my life (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 12, 2014

For Depression "I have been in this medicine for 7 months, first started on 20mg, now increasing to 40mg. I am taking it for depression and anxiety. It takes about a month before I see some effects. Mood was lifted and feel calmer but can't stop yawning. In the beginning, I did felt increased anxiety before this subsides...I will continue to take this medicine and hope to get better."

ckris September 10, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress "Prozac took my worries away. That is all I wanted. I wasn't depressed. I used to wake up at night having bad dreams and worries that went over and over in my head. I couldn't sleep. After beginning Prozac that all stopped. It did unfortunately give me an "I don't care" attitude about what other people thought of me. My sister complained about that with me and said i was difficult to talk to. So I stopped taking it (gradually). Now I wake up every night again with terrible anxiety thoughts and dreams (mostly about things that are happening in my life). I haven't heard anyone talking about this. Any comments?"

prozac patty August 26, 2014

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Was prescribed this medication for outpatient treatment from anorexia/bulimia and laxative abuse after leaving the hospital. Took 60mg a day with scheduled breakfast. This was the medication that boosted my recovery. I was able to lessen some of my very troublesome anxiety around food, reduce obsessive thoughts, and be able to take initiative towards getting better. My treatment team has also been very happy with the outcome of this medication. Just some reminders: You have to drink or eat something with this, or you will have acid reflux. Also, watch out for mood swings that may happen when you first start taking the medication."

Anon4 August 23, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress "This medication works great for anxiety stress and panic attacks, so glad."

Bradstreetbassler (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress "Today is only my first day, and I have to say I got really angry with something that happened at work and normally I can shrug this off, but it's like I couldn't control it, and was super quite that morning then through the day I felt better. I've had headaches and bad diarrhea. The headache happened before the medicine so I'm not sure it's related and very slight nausea. I'll blog again once a little more time has passed."

Cateliza August 8, 2014