User Reviews for Prozac

Schizoaffective Disorder 0 reviews 28 medications

1.2
Summary of Prozac reviews 399 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Prozac

For Depression "Most of my life I have struggled with severe panic attacks, general anxiety, PTSD & moderate depression. Been on meds twice before until I felt better & then I would stop taking them. This last time it had been close to a year that I had been suffering again before I decided to reluctantly go back on meds. I tried Celexa again- it worked kinda okay in the past but this time it made no improvement for me. Saw the doc who switched me to Prozac- all I can say is WOW! Best yet- I feel like my old, happy self after only 1 month! 10mg the first week, 15 the second and 20mg the last two. Give it time to work & be patient- it might make you feel a bit off & not better at first, but it is a miracle drug. These bad feelings will pass hang in there!"

DavidKirsch38 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2015

For Panic Disorder "Most of my life I have struggled with severe panic attacks, general anxiety, PTSD & moderate depression. Been on meds twice before until I felt better & then I would stop taking them. This last time it had been close to a year that I had been suffering again before I decided to reluctantly go back on meds. I tried Celexa again- it worked kinda okay in the past but this time it made no improvement for me. Saw the doc who switched me to Prozac- all I can say is WOW! Best yet- I feel like my old, happy self after only 1 month! 10mg the first week, 15 the second and 20mg the last two. Give it time to work & be patient- it might make you feel a bit off & not better at first, but it is a miracle drug. These bad feelings will pass hang in there!"

DavidKirsch38 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I was on this medicine for two weeks, i felt fine even a little happier, but for 3 days straight I went into a major depression, I have stopped taking it."

Kendall221 March 10, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I have always had anxiety however about 7 months ago I began to have panic attacks walking to the shops by myself walking to work, I thought I was going to pass out it was awful. Then one day I just couldn't walk to work, I got half way then I was convinced I was going to faint so walked home. I then realized how out of control my anxiety had become my partner went with me the doctor prescribed me 20mg tablets (once a day). The first 2 weeks my anxiety was definitely heightened it felt like I was losing the plot. However within a month I found myself walking to the shops and work feeling fine. I haven't had a panic attack for over 2 months, I wish I had started this medication sooner I now feel normal again."

Annouska March 8, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Helped control Anger issue but after 90 days and two increases in doseage the Depression is unchanged"

ColRanger (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Suffered with depression since early teens, but hit rock bottom when a friend committed suicide, I could no longer work, couldn't eat, had panic attacks and became suicidal. After 3-4 weeks of taking Prozac I began feeling like a normal person and after 6 weeks I felt happier than I could ever remember being for years. Prozac has saved me, will happily stay on it for life if this is how it makes me feel."

Rachel- March 3, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "This is my third medication I've tried for my anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. I was first on fluvoxamine and Klonopin and those did nothing but make me a zombie. A month into Prozac while I was feeling the side effects of dizziness and whatnot everything just turned back on. Literally it's like someone turned the lights on. All I can say is it takes time, don't be discouraged. Also pay attention to what you take with it. I was on Zoloft and was getting extremely dizzy. Prozac doesn't agree with certain medications and definitely not caffeine. For the most part though I went from having panic attacks so bad they felt like heart attacks to being completely calm and "normal"."

Anonymous_0989 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2015

For Depression "Been on and off Prozac for depression. Very effective for turning negative thoughts into positive ones, increased energy and motivation to get things done and get through the day, less fatigue from stress and worry, better sleep at night, better appetite, able to cope with life's stressors, feel like spending more time with friends and family and doing activities when not depressed, more social/talkative when not depressed, increased confidence when not feeling anxious or depressed. In better health, feel more in control of my life, more optimistic and positive."

Anonymous female (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 28, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "Works great for: anxiety, depression, OCD, PMS, IBS, coping with stress, fibromyalgia, sleeping better, low immunity from stress, headache prevention, helps you think positive rather than negative thoughts. Negative side effects include daytime fatigue, dry mouth, agitation/hyperactivity, harder to orgasm, harder to feel in love/emotional numbness, vivid dreams."

Anonymous female (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 28, 2015

For Depression "I suffered extreme depression very much when my mum passed over and the doctor put me on these. They helped me think straight and think about all the bad things I'm still on them but only take one or two a week that keeps me happy and normal."

tomo15 February 22, 2015

For Panic Disorder "I was on 10mg Prozac for general anxiety and panic attacks for 2 years. I had no side effects and my panic attacks decreased tremendously. However I recently started having them again so my doc worked me up to 40mg/day. I feel happy. But I feel like it is too much. I don't feel love anymore, and I feel like my emotions are so flat that although I'm not getting the panic attacks, I would almost rather deal with them than be unable to feel emotions. I have been dating a guy for 2 years, and all of a sudden after being on 40mg daily for six weeks I don't feel like I'm in love with him anymore. I can't tell if it is because of the medication or if it is actually me. I will be talking to my doc about decreasing my dose to 20mg."

Vizzle (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 14, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I honestly feel that this medication saved my sanity and my life. After going through an extreme amount of stress in a short time, and then having a miscarriage, I started having extreme panic attacks out of the blue. I was having them almost every day; one night I was laying in the couch for four hours shaking uncontrollably and thinking I was going to die. Finally saw a psychiatrist who put me on 20 mg of Prozac per day. At first, it made me dizzy and gave me headaches, and I couldn't sleep. I was ready to give up and try something else, but finally after about 6-7 full weeks, I started to feel better and the panic attacks stopped. Haven't had an attack in over 3 months and I feel like myself again. I am also taking 0.5 mg of Klonopin to sleep."

Relieved7 February 1, 2015

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "It works really well my mood and depression are better. My only possible complaint is a constant upset stomach."

Happy Seahorse January 27, 2015

For Depression "I started with a very low dose to treat depression - 10mg. I also had become quite the 'alcoholic'; binge drinking right down to the last drop. Had no motivation and lots of self pity. Prozac helped me recover my lost personality; gave me hope and curbed the drinking to full time sobriety. I take 20mg a day - I would suggest that folks give it two months before giving up. I'm glad I did. Nine months of no drinking and I work full time."

lorrelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2015

170 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I am so happy that I finally received a diagnosis and treatment! Ever since I was about 19 years old (29 now) I have dealt with depression that came in waves. My anxiety and obsessive tendencies didn't begin until I was 22 and had the military. I always thought that the high stress situation just fed into my depression and caused anxiety and obsession. I finally decided to seek help and I was shocked to find out that I suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder which causes depression and anxiety. I started on Prozac and within the first 6 weeks I felt a rush of relief. I no longer obsessed over the smallest things. I feel so much happier and my friends and family notice the difference big time!"

piegirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2015

For Depression "Keeps my moods within a normal range. It allows me to experience sad feelings and happy feelings Does not leave me with a blank face or blank feelings, like other antidepressants did."

Simone1013 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2015

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have been off Prozac for about 4 weeks now...after starting 2 years ago for a terrible depression/sadness/menopause. Wanted to take a Holiday to see what would happen. When on Prozac side effects like decrease sexual drive and slight weight gain, otherwise it put my menopause symptoms in control Decrease my hot flashes, helped my sadness, and gave relief for some mild OCD that I have had for years. Now when I am off the medicine I notice and increase in my OCD behaviors. Not concentrating as well at work. Sexual appetite is still not that great despite a wonderful patient husband (could still just be the menopause). Hot flashes have not really returned and I do not feel overwhelmingly sad. I will start Prozac tomorrow and see if it help with OCD."

Nord January 21, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "Very good treatment option it was my first SSRI and I was taking it for Anxiety and other stress I couldn't handle, as well as some therapy and coping mechanisms this medicine is great. I take 10 mg and even that is enough to get rid of anxiety however it does make you lose your sex drive and can make you completely lose Interest in any sexual activity, but all in out its a good treatment."

Melvin am (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2015

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Had Panic attacks for 3 years until started on Prozac. Stopped after two weeks. Made a wonderful difference in my anxiety and depression."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 14, 2015

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I used to have horrible nightmares, couldn't sleep sometimes because of visions in the dark, occasional sudden bouts of intense unjustified anger, etc. I've been on Prozac more or less (I'm not great about taking the pills) for 10 years now. I probably average 20 mg/day over time. If I stop taking it for several weeks, I will notice the angry spells starting to come back, etc, and that's my cue that I need to start taking it again. It has been very helpful for me. It's not a cure all, and maybe the highs of life are not as frequent, but they still come. And I'd rather have that and contentment than the awful lows. No free rides, but I enjoy my friends, exercise, family, and relationships. Overall, a Godsend for me."

CaliforniaGuy77 December 22, 2014

For Depression "On 10 mg I stopped blushing, thought I became social. It helped for social anxiety even though I was taking it for depression. I don't know though, because I had panic attacks, muscle stiffness (dislocated my shoulder), was manic, heard vioces on 20mg. 20mg was extremely intense, blew my anxiety way up. Very scary."

eh11111 December 20, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress "I am one of the few people who doesn't suffer from some mixed form of depression & anxiety; I'm straight anxious. I have been on 10-20 mg Prozac for about 7 months now - starting was a little rocky in terms of heightened anxiety, gastrointestinal problems and nausea, but those leveled off after 3 wks. Now, in conjunction with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and daily mental work, I have to say that this medicine really has helped me get to a place where I can actually implement permanent habits and positive thought cycles and RELAX, whereas before I had a lot of trouble not being stuck as a result of my ruminating, anxiety, fear, guilt, etc. It's also been really great for my marriage, and my husband has been a big teammate. It's been good."

EmBo333 December 8, 2014

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I finally had the guts to mention my depression to my doctor, Thank God! I was depressed for years and was at the point of uncontrollable crying, missing work because of it. This was not the wife and mother I wanted to be so I finally asked for help. It has changed my life. No more depression and many things that used to cause me stress bother me much less or not at all. Not many side effects except fatigue, appetite loss, and a spacey feeling that only lasted a few days. Please don't wait to ask for help. I wish I had done this long ago."

Momshappy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2014

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I've battled depression for five years and anxiety since I was a kid. The first two weeks on Prozac, everything got ten times worse. I couldn't function or stop crying or hating myself. But after that, the depression subsided. I'm more confident, calm, and I shy from negative thoughts and sadness rather than welcoming those things like I used to. It has helped my depression an incredible amount, but I have seen a little less improvement in the anxiety (even with cognitive behavioral therapy). Side effects for me are lots of yawning and loss of appetite."

rach-mae November 18, 2014

For Depression "I've taken Prozac a few times starting at 22. That 1st time was a nightmare! I literally lost time- only remember crying all the time...I don't even remember how long I took it! But that WAS 25 yrs ago. So I was deathly afraid to try it again til about 6 yrs ago. That time it was a lifesaver! I felt my mood lift alot after a week, then even more after a month. These results lasted for several yrs with some sexual side effects, but less than with Zoloft & Lexapro (which also caused waking WIRED every 4 hrs). After a few yrs it felt like I was on nothing at all so I switched to Pristiq which again, saved my life. Now I'm back to Prozac. But I'm sure it's more about what's going on in my life. Nothing works without situations improving as well."

AuntiePoomPoom777 November 18, 2014