User Reviews for Prozac

Schizoaffective Disorder 0 reviews 29 medications

Summary of Prozac reviews 319 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Prozac

Review by Paign (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: This medicine really seems to help me a bit, I don't much have an appetite (but I never did anyway), it calmed me down enough to think. I've been on it for almost a week and for a few days my terrible nightmares stopped, but now my dreams are back but they're just weird now. I had nausea for the first 4 days, not that's gone. This medicine has some good qualities, but for me, 4 days after starting to take it I developed a rash on my neck in reaction to the medicine. Don't let that scare you though. Only 7% of people will have this effect according to a couple of articles I've read about it. Anti-itch cream keeps it from bothering me, but I'm planning to switch to Celexa soon.

March 19, 2014 2:06 PM

Review by Zacpro (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Been on fluoxetine for 7 weeks now, I got my script from my GP. I told him I wanted to start with 10mgs in the morning and 10 at night. That didn't work out because it affected the last 4 hrs of sleep. So I just started taking the 20mgs in the morning. At first I would feel jittery for a few hours. Into my 8th week I'm good. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of reading about the side effect a little too thoroughly, by that I mean I read the pharmacology part for health care professionals. There I stumbled on a possible side effect that really bothers me. Alopecia! I'm a man in my early 50s, has anyone heard anything about losing hair on Prozac?

March 11, 2014 12:04 AM

Review by CPT Wiley (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: Never made me happy but made the little things not so unbearable. Used to obsess over small problems to point of immobility. Better now but not a cure. Have been on it for about 4 years and feels like getting less effective. Really helped first few months to year. Now not sure but do notice if I miss a pill I am very angry anxious entire day

March 7, 2014 12:04 PM

Review by fayfaith (taken for 10 years or more):

For Anxiety and Stress: Prozac worked Well for me with No serious complications or bad side affects. A plus for me,was very good memory! I used this medication for over 20 years and wish I was still able to use it. The only problem I did have with Prozac was at the end of 20 years, I started getting terrible, horrible, headaches. So bad that I would cry! I no longer can take any SSRI's and or any benzodiazepines. I think maybe after so many years your body isn't able to tolerate it. I began having severe breathing problems! I'm now on the trial & error time again, which most of us know that it isn't fun. Good luck to everyone.

March 6, 2014 1:46 AM

Review by t a (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I have been on fluoxetine for just over 3 weeks, I started to feel a bit better after 10 days or so, then the last couple of days I been feeling very teary and anxious, I was given diazepam at the start to control the anxiety which I only took a couple of, but find I have had to take them the last couple of days, hope this is just part of the tablets settling and will get better.

February 28, 2014 3:36 PM

Review by Kruti Patel (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: At first, when I began taking Prozac, I had a lost more "episodes". I just cried in my bedroom for hours; I can't even describe the emotions, if I could even call them that, going through me. It was like a dark part of me took over, and it wanted nothing but an end; I don't even to what. Everything was way worse; multiple suicidal thoughts per a single day were not uncommon. Gradually, I started feeling better; there was no sudden happiness or peace, but I felt normal. Now, I just don't know what's going on with me. Stress and everything is piling up on me, once again. Eating is a chore. I feel like I'm on the brink of falling apart, on the thin line between sanity&insanity. I don't want life or death. I want to not exist. I'm just confused

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2014 10:52 PM

Review by Sad for forty years (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have started taking Lovan. It has changed my life. I cannot believe it. I wish I had gone on this medication years ago. I have had severe impairing depression my whole life from the earliest age. I cannot believe the difference. I am myself but I am positive, I no longer wake up in the night worrying, I don't have that constant sadness that I could never shake. I feel happy. I feel sane. I actually feel energized sometimes to exercise but I had to take it at night not morning or I was too tired in the day. I switched to night and my life has turned around. The first month was hard with side effects but then taking it at night has changed my life. I absolutely love this medicine and I was a natural medicine freak. Why oh why.

February 13, 2014 4:18 AM

Review by 30 years depressed (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: You have to give this medicine time to work. At first it made me very anxious and nauseated. Started with 20 mg. after a month the anxiety came back so my doctor upped it to 40 mg.. More nausea and anxiety (Xanax helped this transition), but now, after about 13 weeks, I feel great. I just had a very challenging 10 hours at work and feel like a million bucks. It helped me get my gratitude back. No longer grumpy and ill willed. It made me realize how deep my depression was and how long it had been since I'd been normal-feeling: 30 years. Sleep and exercise are key. If you think you have sleep apnea, get a doctors diagnosis. If you don't exercise, get walking. These are key things that make antidepressants more effective.

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2014 8:49 PM

Review by Wickedsmile (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety and Stress: I posted my initial experience with Prozac a few months back and it still is working great! I have lost a few pounds, still eat much less than before and my anxiety is all but gone. I no longer need Klonopin-I was taking about 5 of those a week prior to Prozac. I am on a low dosage and have not needed to adjust up or down. Bottom line-my anxiety is under control and I feel great-without any side effects.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2014 12:56 AM

Review by vinpb90:

For Depression: It's always a test of one person. Everyone will have anti-depressants that work best for them. I tried Lexapro and Wellbutrin. I hated Wellbutrin. Prozac gave me ZERO side effects. No sexual frustration, no irritability, and no insomnia. I'm on my 6th month and just got bumped from 20mg to 40mg because of seasonal depression and feel a HUGE deal better. I've lost 10lbs in 3 weeks because my appetite and drinking are also under control. I've also heard Prozac is associated with weight loss. If something isn't working for you, give it a try.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 9, 2014 1:37 PM

Review by annie lou one:

For Depression: I had slipped into a depression following some traumatic life events. The mornings were worse and often unbearable. I became suicidal. I was also agitated. I was desperate and went to GP and prescribed fluoxetine 20mg. I have been taking them for six weeks and feel so much better. Mood has lifted and morning depression has stopped. Its saved my life. Side effects were a sore throat and cold symptoms which lasted four days. Yawning as well. Best thing I ever did was admit I had a problem and take medicines.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2014 5:09 PM

Review by Ju Ra Ni (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: Female, 27 y.o., 20mg, also taking Bupropion. It really helped to "lift the fog" of my depression. My boyfriend noticed my mood lift within a couple days. It all but killed my appetite and I lost a lot of weight quickly; 17 lbs within a few weeks, 1-2 pounds a day. My appetite gradually returned and my weight plateaued. I experienced a different side effect every day during the 1st week. Numb; dizzy; nauseous; migraines. I quit imbibing because it only made me sleepy with a headache. That may have contributed to weight-loss and eventual regain as my alcohol tolerance returned to some degree. I still get the headaches, though less frequently, and I'll take a headache over crippling anxiety and depression any old day.

January 25, 2014 12:48 AM

Review by doing my best (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: Prozac has literally saved my life not once but twice! The first was after the birth of my son I was on 20mg I was struggling with obsessive compulsive disorder, depression and severe anxiety. Prozac along with therapy made it able for me to live a normal life for almost 5 years. I just recently had a horrible bought with anxiety. I am finally coming out of that nightmare. I had a lot of life stressors that brought on the anxiety and caused the break, as much as I tried I couldn't come out of it so my Dr. increased my dose to 40mg. I have been on the 40mg for exactly a week today and I am so excited and cautious to say when I woke up this morning my heart wasn't beating out of my chest and I have been able to enjoy my day!

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2014 8:25 PM

Review by zfly (taken for less than 1 month):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: One week ago I started Prozac and side effects have been bad for me. Fatigue, headaches, body ache, forgetful, sleepy, nightmares, yawning. My Doc told me to give it another week. Hopefully everything will work out. I am tired of PMS.

January 7, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by nomercy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Prozac saved me.

January 6, 2014 3:07 PM

Review by lirpa13:

For Anxiety and Stress: I started to take Prozac several months back to get off Effexor. It really made that transition smooth. I take 20mg every other day. I find it helps with Anxiety but, not enough to wean off Klonopin. I know I'm normally over social and Prozac makes me anti-social. I don't mind because I'm only anti-social with people I don't need to be associated with. I believe my ability to orgasm has improved from Effexor to Prozac. I tend to sleep more than I should, but it's better than tossing and turning. My motivation is at an all time low right now, I don't know if it's the Prozac or work. I gained weight initially, but it's coming off slowly and evening out. I would recommend Prozac, it's not as feeling/responsibility numbing as others meds.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2014 10:36 PM

Review by misslayla1998:

For Depression: I have been taking Prozac (fluoxetine) for about a month now. I'm 15 and I am taking it for anxiety disorder and depression. So far it has been working. I have not been at all depressed for a while. It took about a week and a half for it to start making a difference. I noticed that I'm more calm when it comes to stress. I like it. I'm taking 10mg at the moment. The only complaint I have about it, is that I have noticed an increase in appetite, which I hate.

December 28, 2013 7:05 PM

Review by bradstreetbassler:

For Anxiety and Stress: This medication saved my life!

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2013 2:05 PM

Review by dannyboy35 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: I've been depressed, with high levels of anxiety for ten years. I tried several different medications and I finally settled with an anti-depressant to help with sleep, and also was taking 3 Klonopin a day as well as trazodone at night for sleep for seven years. So I'm really thinking I may be on all these medicines for life and maybe be put on disability. So the doc finally put me on Prozac. It's been 2 months now and my anxiety has gone way down, I am less depressed, I no longer worry about things and am off trazodone and don't take Klonopin anymore. I have great dreams and wake up every morning with happy songs in my head, and I'm much more social. Prozac has just been a blessing, probably saved my life as I had lost all hope.

202 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2013 9:44 AM

Review by Better now (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: It obviously affects everyone differently. I've been taking Fluoxetine for about 10 years 20mg per day. Yes it has some side effects which are difficult to anticipate and manage, it can make me overly excited, and at times a little euphoric, which arrives quickly making it difficult to contain. On the other side I suffered from manic depression and I used to happily go into a black hole in a blind rage, and the medication just stopped that completely so I feel like it's a very positive trade off. I do get very sleepy, and tired so honestly I just sleep more? I tried reducing my dosage a couple of times over the years I've been taking this but could not handle the withdrawal.

December 3, 2013 3:39 AM

Review by xzombieLaura:

For Depression: Doctor prescribed me Prozac & asked that I attend group therapy to help any underlying issues. My depression came out in the form of anger - EVERYTHING annoyed me for no reason. At first, I felt no different taking the medication. After a few months, my brother was the person to realize that it was working. He pointed out that we had been getting along & very little seemed to annoy me anymore. Side effects: I was in a haze. For example: I would be driving and could completely miss the street I was suppose to turn on to & wouldn't realize it until 3 miles later. Most people describe themselves as a zombie in this haze. With Prozac & therapy, I was on Prozac for about a year.

November 18, 2013 10:42 AM

Review by Daniellebb (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: Worked for about a month then I started sleeping 13-15 hours a night and lost all motivation.

November 14, 2013 8:16 AM

Review by DPenn (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I had my first major depressive episode in the late 80's when my first child was a toddler. I was put on 20 mg of Prozac and felt like I got my life back. However, it seemed to quit working and the next 20 years I went through almost every SSRI there is as well as a couple of common anti-anxiety drugs and none of them seemed to work very well. About 4 years ago I went back on Prozac and this time I was taking 60 mg for ocd. It has worked quite well but I think my body is getting used to it again. My doctor wants me to consider changing to Lovox. I had thought I had already tried that in the past but I have to do something because I feel like I am slipping into the abyss again.

November 13, 2013 6:12 PM

Review by College Student (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I absolutely loved Prozac. It helped me immensely! I noticed an extremely positive change in my mood and behavior after my body adjusted to the medication. Friends and family were surprised to hear that I was even on medication because of how relaxed and happy my disposition became. I'm happy I gave it a chance. I built my way up to 60 mg a day for almost a year. However, my body has become used to it over time and I'm having to change medications.

November 12, 2013 8:34 AM

Review by wickedsmile (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: I had been on Celexa for 2 years which caused weight gain, low motivation, sleepiness, and my anxiety came back full strength. Now 1 week on Prozac and I feel like myself again. High energy, good appetite, alert, no anxiety-basically I feel great! I was drinking 5 alcoholic beverages a day now I am not interested in drinking more than 2 a day. I am over 45 and my vision was beginning to slip when reading items close up. ever since I started Prozac my vision has improved and I can see things less than 6 inches from my face. Not sure why that happened but it did. Give it a try-you will get your life back.

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2013 12:17 PM