User Reviews for Fentanyl

Also known as: Abstral, Actiq, Duragesic, Duragesic-100, Duragesic-12, Duragesic-25, Duragesic-50, Duragesic-75, Fentanyl Transdermal System, Fentora, Ionsys, Lazanda, Onsolis, Sublimaze, Subsys

Learn more about Fentanyl.

Anesthesia 1 reviews 129 medications

Anesthetic Adjunct 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fentanyl reviews 217 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Fentanyl

Review by MiniGirlTX: User Rating:

fentanyl for Pain: I have just recently started this medication for severe Fibromyalgia pain. Unlike most others who have posted here, I have not been taking strong opiates for my pain prior to being given this patch by my doctor. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia eight years ago after being rear ended in an auto accident that happened twelve years ago. This past year, I have been on Hydrocodone 5/500. Prior to that I was on Tylenol for pain relief. After 4 days of being on the 12.5 mcg patch, I am beginning to get some relief for my pain. I think I am going to like this patch.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 23, 2013 6:01 PM
Review by b0ynsea (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have been using the 50 now for 4 months, I do regularly wake up and the bed is soaked in sweat, the patches never work for 3 days and on the 3rd day I am back on my Norco. I have found that if I shower 1-1.5 hours prior to a new patch and hold it in place they stick much better, the pain relief is much better than the Norco but I recently noticed a wheezing cough that is getting worse could be allergies, but wondering if others have had the massive sweats. I still work and sometimes if in a position I know that would be painful without the patch.

September 3, 2013 10:56 PM
Review by John0505 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Duragesic-50 (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I was diagnosed with degenerative disk disease and osteoarthritis last year, not so bad if you're 75 but I'm 26. I've had symptoms of this since about 14 or 15. After 10 years my doctor finally believed me and accepted the fact that I was in real pain (this is finally after 2 well known orthopedic surgeons discussed their diagnoses with him). He gave me Norco 7.5's, which didn't do much but introduce my liver to a lot of acetaminophen. He then added fentanyl 50mcg/hr patch 1 every 72 hrs.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 31, 2013 1:25 AM
Review by mnonline: User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: Made me itch to no end, itch all night itch all day. Lots of dry mouth, it did relieve pain and I liked the pain relief. As we all know they do not stay on for 3 days, after about 50 some hours it stop relieving pain.

August 22, 2013 5:52 PM
Review by DougSC (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: After years of all the other opioid pain pills I was put on Fentanyl 25mcg. Initial problems getting patch to stick, I contacted the manufacturer and they were very helpful. They have supplied Askina film dressings to cover the patch and they never fall off anymore. TegaDerm patches work very well also. I was also increased to one patch every 48 hours since it seems to wear off long before 72 hours. I do leave them on for 72 hours, but alternate locations every 48 hours. What a difference. Very little pain if any and I'm no longer loopy or half asleep all the time. Fentanyl has been a blessing for my lower back and leg pain. By the way I suffer from lumbar spinal stenosis. Hope this is helpful to others.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 8, 2013 9:10 AM
Review by Sfisher1975 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have been using the 50mcg patches for about 2 years. They are a lifesaver and I found an almost fool proof way to get them to stick. I find that my thigh works best and I keep them shaved in the application area (I'm a guy so I don't shave my legs) but before applying a new patch I use a single use alcohol pad (for cleaning before an injection) and then once dry, apply the patch and hold for a good 30 seconds. They always stick and in fact on the 3rd day they actually hurt a bit coming off like a bandaid. I think the oil on your skin is what keeps them from sticking well. I also apply my new patch and leave the old one on for an extra 8-12 hours, which keeps the withdrawal symptoms to a minimum.

July 27, 2013 12:18 PM
Review by Lost In Space (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: This medication works slowly. It took around 24 hours to feel any effect. The patches don't really stick too well. Avoid hot showers or the patch will fall off.

July 25, 2013 4:18 PM
Review by Anonymous700 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Pain: Controls pain very well. Great for baseline around the clock coverage with short acting medication for break through pain. DO NOT ABUSE THIS MEDICATION!

July 6, 2013 5:34 PM
Review by Martyh: User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: This is a life saver for me and I have tried just about every type of Opioid out there. Sweating was the only issue but that went away after my first week of taking the medication. I would highly recommend it to any one with chronic pain.

July 2, 2013 7:27 PM
Review by Sailing me (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

fentanyl for Chronic Pain: So much more effective and comfortable for me than morphine but it does not help with specific elements of my pain when I lie down so insomnia is a problem.

May 12, 2013 8:09 AM
Review by jodygurl (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I had C-4,5,6,7 fusion that went awry when they accidentally hit my spinal cord. I was originally put on 75's but my feet would hurt so bad in the morning. I read that it was due to too much in my system so I had them lower my dose to 25mg. But I put a new one on every 48 hrs. (leave them in place for 72) so I am basically putting a patch on every other day. I wear them on my chest area so they don't get rubbed a lot and tend to stay in place.

May 2, 2013 3:51 AM
Review by Love chihuahuas: User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I started at the 12.5mcg/hr but had to increase to 25mcg/hr. I was amazed at how well they worked, the pain was almost gone 80-90% of the time. I have found that already the pain is creeping back, I'm not sure if it's because I need a stronger patch or because they fall off so easily. I have even tried heating it with my blow dryer to get it hot enough to stick again, it worked only once. I'm going to have my Dr read your comments, he doesn't believe that they don't stick the full 3 days. I have to go the 3rd day without a patch so it coincides with my scripts. What do you do when you swim in the summer, take it off while in the pool? Thank all of you for your reviews, I appreciate them.

April 19, 2013 4:20 AM
Review by Pain no more: User Rating:

Sublimaze (fentanyl) for Pain: Fentanyl saved my life pre-back surgery. The sublingual fentanyl literally is the best pain reliever (severe pain relief only! Not for mild to moderate pain) more than Kadian, Norco, Oxy. I was in so much pain Fentanyl got me through it, back surgery was a success and life is moving on; almost pain free.

March 28, 2013 11:51 PM
Review by Paranormal Investigator: User Rating:

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and after trying different pain meds, I was finally put on Duragesic 25mcg every 72 hrs. The first day on a new patch is amazing. I could do nearly everything I used to. It even helped with the pain from bone deterioration due to a lifetime of taking high doses of Prednisone for my asthma. I will admit that the third day was the worst. About 5 years ago my doctor upped my dosage to 50mcg's every 48 hrs., which has made a huge difference. I still get Norco for breakthrough pain but I try not to take them unless the pain is really bad. I'm not the kind of person who likes to take any sort of medication but I know without it, my life would be awful.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 8, 2013 12:16 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have moderate to severe pain from a reaction to a medication. I wear a 100 & a 25 Fentanyl patch. After trying several places I found the patches stay best on my derri

February 18, 2013 2:22 PM
Review by AliCat86: User Rating:

fentanyl for Chronic Pain: I find it helpful for the 48 hrs. I think maybe I need a higher dose or my body temp runs too high and I just need to change it every two days. This medication though like I have seen some say has helped so much and once we get the dose right I think will really make a difference in my life. I have not slept in over ten years like I have since starting the patch due to pain. No insurance, I just turned 27. I pretty much just dealt with it all up until almost 2 yrs ago now. Anyways I would recommend it for continued around the clock relief. It takes some time to figure it out for you but it's worth it if it works for you. Blessing to all. Hope everyone can find the help and relief you deserve.

February 14, 2013 11:42 PM
Review by new orleans (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I've been on the 50 mcg fentanyl patches for approx. 10 years. I've found out using the Mylan brand covered with a Tuff strip extra large size Band Aid (cloth or waterproof type) stays in place for the 3 day period very well. The patch is the same size as the cotton square on the Band aids.

January 31, 2013 8:57 PM
Review by chesbeau (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: Spinal fusion pain is often severe while usually moderate. My doctor prescribed 100 mcgs for the usual 72 hrs., but after about 6 weeks of use I entered into painful, often agonizing withdrawal symptoms during the night and had to replace my lost, misplaced patch. Pain relief is satisfactory, but I find the Transdermal system's adhesion properties unreliable at best. Tegaderm adhesive film is essential for extra security while holding the patch to the skin. Unfortunately, my Fentanyl patches are vulnerable to moisture and prematurely weaken, even with the added film.

January 23, 2013 4:09 AM
Review by B1ackcat (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Duragesic-100 (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Duragesic" is an excellent chronic pain medication: no euphoric issues following the first couple weeks of use and initial body adjustment, etc., steady pain relief with minimal "Ups and Downs" in effectiveness (i.e., break through pain). However, myself, as with many users, find that it is necessary to change the patch every 48 hours, vs. the potential 72 hours (i.e., obviously this is with your doctor's approval). Also, putting the patch on takes a degree of practice and again, as with many, find it necessary to cover it with an approved "3M Tegaderm Cover" to prevent premature loss of adhesion.

January 12, 2013 10:15 PM
Review by GEAUX-GEAUX girl (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: Hands - down THE most effective pain relief I've ever had!! I've been wearing 25mcg for 2 months now. 1st month, I wore Actavis clear gel-filled. This month I'm wearing Apotex band-aid type patch. I'm not certain which I prefer. Gel-filled was great, but I was always paranoid with it buckling. On the down-side, my lips are raw due to my mouth being so dry. I also itch like crazy!! The fact that the pain relief is so phenomenal, I don't see me changing meds. I take no breakthrough meds except occasional Advil. Pills were a problem for me as I would always take too much. Another reason that the Fentanyl patch is a God send!

December 25, 2012 4:55 PM
Review by Lilyrose1961 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Duragesic-50 (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: My doctor put me on the patches about 8 months ago. I was taking Norco 10/325, and Lyrica 50mg three times a day. I was still having pain at night, and when I had to walk for any distance at all. This medicine has changed my life, I can sleep all night without waking up from pain, I can walk through the mall now and not limp as bad. I still take 6 Norco a day, and my Lyrica 3Xday. But combined with the patch, I feel like I have a new lease on life. The only side effects I have had is a tendency to nod off if I sit down for long, and a decrease in my appetite which is good for helping me lose some weight.

December 21, 2012 11:55 PM
Review by dpowell29 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I had spinal fusion (L4-S2) and my doctor is stating I need to possibly have L2-L3 fused. My doctor had me on Norco and this did little and then while he was out of the office one day another doctor in his office saw me and put me on Fentanyl. At first it was great, I had the same problem everyone else had with patches only lasting 48 hours and it was impossible to find some place they would stay on. But later it was hard to regulate my body temperature, I would get burning hot and then cold and it wasn't because the patch was old or not on. This medication helps my pain more than anything else.

December 14, 2012 2:23 PM
Review by SUZANNEY01 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Pain: I was "scared" at first to try Duragesic because I knew this was a very strong pain killer. But I was taking so many pills without much relief that something else had to be done. I still have some pain (back pain - 3 compression fxs., and a fractured kneecap). The patches have been a big help in managing all my bone pain. Glad I was "brave" enough to try them. My Dr. is great to prescribe them,

December 3, 2012 1:39 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

fentanyl for Chronic Pain: I finally agreed to a long acting medicine to supplement my oxycodone. To make a long story short, on the 3rd day of wearing the 25mcg patch, I woke up with the most debilitating migraine I've ever experienced in my life. I called the doctor to notify him that I'd be discontinuing the medication. I didn't notice any significant change in my pain over the 3 days, and I'm too terrified of experiencing another migraine like that! (Jealous of all those that had great outcomes from using this medicine!)

October 31, 2012 10:46 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have been on the patch now for 10 years, about started @ 100mcg x 72HRS and am @ 200mcg x 48HRS due to chronic pain from a 90 foot fall from a radio tower. I have been placed on every medicine literally for pain management and this medicine gave me a life back.

October 22, 2012 6:03 PM
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

Advanced Breast Cancer: Learn about treatments to improve quality of life. Click Here