User Reviews for Fentanyl

Also known as: Abstral, Actiq, Duragesic, Duragesic-100, Duragesic-12, Duragesic-25, Duragesic-50, Duragesic-75, Fentanyl Transdermal System, Fentora, Ionsys, Lazanda, Onsolis, Sublimaze, Subsys

Learn more about Fentanyl.

Anesthesia 2 reviews 129 medications

Anesthetic Adjunct 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fentanyl reviews 234 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Fentanyl

Review by Joeseph Schmoe:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: Been using the fentanyl patch for about 6 yrs. now using 2 100mcg patches every 48 hrs. Using 72 hrs, the pain would come back with withdrawal symptoms. The major problem was getting it to stay on, but covering it with a TegaDerm took care of most of that issue. It works for pain better than oral medicines and you don't have to go through the trouble of swallowing pills all the time, just apply and forget it for a couple of days. I would recommend this as a good alternative to pills.

March 5, 2014 3:03 PM

Review by SuzLeik (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: This medicine was covered for me by Worker's Compensation when I was taking it, but they decided that they would not pay for it any longer. This decision was made and introduced statewide and Doctors were instructed to prescribe something else for their patients. It has been a TERRIBLE decision because pills are not nearly as effective as the patches, and sadly I am not financially capable of paying for the patches myself. I would love to have the patches back, they are an excellent product.

February 12, 2014 3:34 PM

Review by butch1972:

For Pain: I started taking fentanyl after trying every other opiates available and finally found relief. I'm on the 25mcg patch. I'm in the 36 hour right now on the first pass and so far it's perfect and surprisingly has my pain on a 9 out of 10 taken care of with breakthrough medicines. I felt the patch when I finally slept in for once this morning without having to wake up to the pill schedule.

January 23, 2014 7:12 PM

Review by 22met15area12 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Fentora (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: i am on methadone for cauda equina nerve pain, and CRPS/RSD. If it was not for the fentora i would be dead years ago. I needed something to knock out the pain fast, as i have bone on bone/nerves in my lower back , no hardware, 2 emerg lamy's, nerves entrapped. Opana for breakthrough took too long, i waited as long as i could , 45 min to 60min. Be on floor in a ball with shocks every 6 seconds,and toes and feet sawed off. Body would Jolt . I would take another dose of opana and a couple time i almost woke up dead, in my own excrement. Only complaint i have on Fentora is that it is like a sweet tart, and you're not suppose to suck on them, . I also have sore in my buccal area now

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 9:31 PM

Review by Empathetic soul:

For Chronic Pain: I suffer from severe chronic cluster head aches that last 3 or more days at a time.I had back problems as well,at work one day I fell 30 feet & landed in a wheelbarrow.I hit my neck on one side and injured my L4 L5. I've been n pain management sense 07 long story short I ended up on 75mcg patches ever 48 hours. They did not last 72 hours for me.I was given 600mcg fentanyl lozenges they r fast acting.I was given 1 every 6 hrs. Best brake through meds I've use.u can suck on them 4 15 min.yet if ur pain subsides u can stop after 5/10 min they take 15 min to de solve.u can store what is left n the package n ur refrigerator n use it later when needed.pills don't always work rite away n some times u don't need as much.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2014 10:40 AM

Review by klassiebutterfly45 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: Helped ok but had a lot of breakthrougg pain.

January 11, 2014 9:35 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: Have been taking Duragesic for 10 years. It works great, I use a coupon that covers up to $50. out of pocket, my insurance copay is $35 therefore I pay noting for name brand. The generic does not work as effective as name.

December 16, 2013 2:26 PM

Review by wm05:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have been on the 75 mcg Fentanyl patch for about four years now. I've have had problems finding pharmacies that carry my patches so I hope they aren't taking them off the market. But they have helped me a lot with my back before/after surgery I switch them every 48 hrs otherwise I start going through withdrawal.

November 21, 2013 11:43 PM

Review by REIDER:

For Pain: I was first prescribed oxycodone 5 mg/2 tabs/twice daily, as required. Then put on the 25 mg/mgh fentanyl patches. They were a God send. The only problem I had was that every 50 hours (average) they would stop working. I had to have someone from Mylan, send me a letter to show to my doctor in order to change to every 48 hours.

November 21, 2013 5:55 PM

Review by dudley59:

Duragesic-100 (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: It's alright for chronic pain.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 19, 2013 7:04 PM

Review by Jessnco (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have had several surgeries to rebuild my shoulder muscles and have had one tendon reattached to the bone and covered with a plate as well as arthritis in my spine. The pain is unbearable at times and sometime I can't even walk. I was taking the extended release Oxycontin and norco for break-thru pain which didn't help much. They seemed to last a few hours and that was that. Even then I didn't do much because of pain. My doctor had me try the 75mcg patch for 72 hours and I was amazed. I can wake up in the morning and almost jump out of bed. We have changed to a patch every 48 hours as on the 3rd day it didn't seem to work. But now depending on what I do during the day I am virtually pain free.Highly recommend, get ur life back

November 13, 2013 2:10 PM

Review by paulmorin11:

For Chronic Pain: I have ben on Fentanyl for more than three years now with great success, no major problems or side effects. Although about three months ago I started having some real bad side affects from the drug. After about 24-36 hours of putting on the patch I would start to get pain, agitation,sick feeling all over my body, fatigue, restlessness, very tired, neck and back muscular pain and bad headaches as well as confusion and the sweats etc.. All the classic symptoms of the patch not working properly. I am in the process of talking with my doctor about rectifying the problem with my dosage and time frame on how often to change the patch. If I knew how bad the feeling was to withdraw from this drug was i would have never taken it.

November 9, 2013 3:09 PM

Review by ambitious (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Actiq (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: overall it has been good, I'm on oxycontin 3times a day long lasting, then actiq for breakthru, it works much better than oxycodone and I don't get sick or lupey from it, however I do on occasion need to take 2 lozegers as my doctor refuses to up either my long lasting or the actiq, don't understand as I am on very low doses and have been RESPONSIBLY taking pain meds for more than 7 years now. overall a very good pain med.

November 7, 2013 12:06 AM

Review by Carol in Ohio (taken for 10 years or more):

For Pain: I went through the myriad of short acting oral analgesics, and just couldn't stand the constant ups and downs, and always felt like I was only comfortable for half of the life of the pill. I asked my doctor to take me off OxyContin (40 mg.), he offered Duragesic as an alternative. I use 100 mcg every 3 days with no problem. Side effects are constipation, and short term memory loss. I'll happily trade that for effective pain relief. A huge plus is not developing a tolerance for it, so I don't have to have it constantly increased over the years. I don't use "breakthrough" meds, but I use Lyrica (about 6 years now) to help with pain from nerve damage. The combination works great for me.

November 4, 2013 2:08 AM

Review by emk125 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Dercum's Disease: I was in so much pain and the other options, like Lyrica and Cymbalta, gave me serious allergic reactions. The only problem I had was that no doctor besides Dr Karen Herbst in AZ (a specialist in Dercum's Disease), understood the extreme pain of this disease. At least, not in my HMO, Kaiser Permanente here in Northern California. I had a month's worth of 25mcg fentanyl patches and for the last three weeks I have been on them, I have been able to be a "Mom" again and participate with the family, take care of them and join in actually living my life again. I am at a loss on how to convince the pain doctors at my Kaiser that this "chronic pain" patient's quality of life is greatly improved by the use of opoids, in this case the Fentanyl patch

October 26, 2013 9:22 PM

Review by LisaFabe:

Duragesic-50 (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have had positive experience with the patch, I also have to say that the patch has helped my neuropathy pain in feet and hands and that I have to say it has helped my restless leg syndrome. I have had more comfort with the patch with all three conditions. The maker of the patch should look into using it for neuropathy and restless legs syndrome also. I have tried other medications but the patch has helped my pain relief and relief of other conditions.

October 7, 2013 10:23 PM

Review by mark22660 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Chronic Pain: Neurologist started me on 25 mcg and I didn't feel any relief until 50mcg and no side effects. Over time went to 75 mcg and then to 100mcg with fabulous results. Patch is to be changed every 3 days, but I had to every two days and was prescribed to do so. This is a fabulous medication for severe chronic pain relief, HOWEVER it's really hard to come off of, so be sure it's done properly down 25mcg every 3 months and the last 25 goes than to 12mcg for 3 months and done.

September 23, 2013 8:43 PM

Review by MiniGirlTX:

For Pain: I have just recently started this medication for severe Fibromyalgia pain. Unlike most others who have posted here, I have not been taking strong opiates for my pain prior to being given this patch by my doctor. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia eight years ago after being rear ended in an auto accident that happened twelve years ago. This past year, I have been on Hydrocodone 5/500. Prior to that I was on Tylenol for pain relief. After 4 days of being on the 12.5 mcg patch, I am beginning to get some relief for my pain. I think I am going to like this patch.

September 23, 2013 6:01 PM

Review by b0ynsea (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have been using the 50 now for 4 months, I do regularly wake up and the bed is soaked in sweat, the patches never work for 3 days and on the 3rd day I am back on my Norco. I have found that if I shower 1-1.5 hours prior to a new patch and hold it in place they stick much better, the pain relief is much better than the Norco but I recently noticed a wheezing cough that is getting worse could be allergies, but wondering if others have had the massive sweats. I still work and sometimes if in a position I know that would be painful without the patch.

September 3, 2013 10:56 PM

Review by John0505 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Duragesic-50 (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I was diagnosed with degenerative disk disease and osteoarthritis last year, not so bad if you're 75 but I'm 26. I've had symptoms of this since about 14 or 15. After 10 years my doctor finally believed me and accepted the fact that I was in real pain (this is finally after 2 well known orthopedic surgeons discussed their diagnoses with him). He gave me Norco 7.5's, which didn't do much but introduce my liver to a lot of acetaminophen. He then added fentanyl 50mcg/hr patch 1 every 72 hrs.

August 31, 2013 1:25 AM

Review by mnonline:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: Made me itch to no end, itch all night itch all day. Lots of dry mouth, it did relieve pain and I liked the pain relief. As we all know they do not stay on for 3 days, after about 50 some hours it stop relieving pain.

August 22, 2013 5:52 PM

Review by DougSC (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: After years of all the other opioid pain pills I was put on Fentanyl 25mcg. Initial problems getting patch to stick, I contacted the manufacturer and they were very helpful. They have supplied Askina film dressings to cover the patch and they never fall off anymore. TegaDerm patches work very well also. I was also increased to one patch every 48 hours since it seems to wear off long before 72 hours. I do leave them on for 72 hours, but alternate locations every 48 hours. What a difference. Very little pain if any and I'm no longer loopy or half asleep all the time. Fentanyl has been a blessing for my lower back and leg pain. By the way I suffer from lumbar spinal stenosis. Hope this is helpful to others.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2013 9:10 AM

Review by Sfisher1975 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have been using the 50mcg patches for about 2 years. They are a lifesaver and I found an almost fool proof way to get them to stick. I find that my thigh works best and I keep them shaved in the application area (I'm a guy so I don't shave my legs) but before applying a new patch I use a single use alcohol pad (for cleaning before an injection) and then once dry, apply the patch and hold for a good 30 seconds. They always stick and in fact on the 3rd day they actually hurt a bit coming off like a bandaid. I think the oil on your skin is what keeps them from sticking well. I also apply my new patch and leave the old one on for an extra 8-12 hours, which keeps the withdrawal symptoms to a minimum.

July 27, 2013 12:18 PM

Review by Lost In Space (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: This medication works slowly. It took around 24 hours to feel any effect. The patches don't really stick too well. Avoid hot showers or the patch will fall off.

July 25, 2013 4:18 PM

Review by Anonymous700 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Pain: Controls pain very well. Great for baseline around the clock coverage with short acting medication for break through pain. DO NOT ABUSE THIS MEDICATION!

July 6, 2013 5:34 PM