User Reviews for Fentanyl

Also known as: Abstral, Actiq, Duragesic, Duragesic-100, Duragesic-12, Duragesic-25, Duragesic-50, Duragesic-75, Fentanyl Transdermal System, Fentora, Ionsys, Lazanda, Onsolis, Sublimaze, Subsys

Learn more about Fentanyl.

Anesthesia 1 reviews 129 medications

Anesthetic Adjunct 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fentanyl reviews 215 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Fentanyl

Review by KrazyKentucky (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

fentanyl for Chronic Pain: I've been on fentanyl for 4 yrs now, have had 3 lower L5 S1 back surgeries W/Hardware, have been diagnosed with RSD, RLS, osteoarthritis, fibromylgia, also have right ankle fusion with surgery on it. Fentanyl is the only medicine. I have taken or been prescribed in the last 22yrs that has worked. I'm receiving the 75mcg X 48hrs and roxicodone 15mg 5 times a day for any breakthrough pain as needed.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 9, 2014 3:19 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Subsys (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have severe fibromyalgia amongst other things, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I was expecting this to relieve all of my pain I had very high hopes. Then again everyone is different.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 3, 2014 12:57 AM
Review by STEVE MAGYAR (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have three damaged disc's in my lower back. Doctors wanted to remove. I refused and started out on 120 Lortabs per month. That was increased by the additional 120 tabs of 15 mg oxycodone per month. My life was consumed by pain so bad I could could hardly get out of bed or walk. 6 months later I was prescribed an additional 60 30 mg of Morphine. Needless to say I am no longer in any pain, I was nodding out everywhere. I took morphine for a year. Detox wasn't fun and it's worst if you are a weak junkie. I took oxycodone for another year. My doctor suggest Fentanyl. It changed my life.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 14, 2014 1:04 AM
Review by tam36et: User Rating:

fentanyl for Pain: Just wonderful for my pain couldn't ask for anything better

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 13, 2014 7:48 PM
Review by caliGman: User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have been using fentanyl on and off for about 4 years. I had spinal fusion done on L2-L5 also out of the 8 screws in my back the doctors left one of the screws with the sharp point on it so it jabs into my back muscle. I have tried every pain medicine on the market and have to say fentanyl works the best. I no longer wake up from pain. It is in my opinion the best pain medication available on the market. I used to have to get it off the streets because no doctor believed I was in pain (I am in my 30's) now I finally found a doctor who prescribes it to me, God bless him for it. I'm using 50mcg every 48 hrs. I still get a little pain after any activity that stresses my back so might ask to try 75mcg but I am glad I have these patches.

March 10, 2014 3:59 AM
Review by Bloodhoundz (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: Have been using Fentanyl for over 3 years now, and wonder what kind of shape I would be in if I hadn't been offered this medicine. It is definitely working for me and I am so glad I was a candidate for it.

March 8, 2014 10:49 PM
Review by Joeseph Schmoe: User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: Been using the fentanyl patch for about 6 yrs. now using 2 100mcg patches every 48 hrs. Using 72 hrs, the pain would come back with withdrawal symptoms. The major problem was getting it to stay on, but covering it with a TegaDerm took care of most of that issue. It works for pain better than oral medicines and you don't have to go through the trouble of swallowing pills all the time, just apply and forget it for a couple of days. I would recommend this as a good alternative to pills.

March 5, 2014 3:03 PM
Review by SuzLeik (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: This medicine was covered for me by Worker's Compensation when I was taking it, but they decided that they would not pay for it any longer. This decision was made and introduced statewide and Doctors were instructed to prescribe something else for their patients. It has been a TERRIBLE decision because pills are not nearly as effective as the patches, and sadly I am not financially capable of paying for the patches myself. I would love to have the patches back, they are an excellent product.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 12, 2014 3:34 PM
Review by butch1972: User Rating:

fentanyl for Pain: I started taking fentanyl after trying every other opiates available and finally found relief. I'm on the 25mcg patch. I'm in the 36 hour right now on the first pass and so far it's perfect and surprisingly has my pain on a 9 out of 10 taken care of with breakthrough medicines. I felt the patch when I finally slept in for once this morning without having to wake up to the pill schedule.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 23, 2014 7:12 PM
Review by 22met15area12 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Fentora (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: i am on methadone for cauda equina nerve pain, and CRPS/RSD. If it was not for the fentora i would be dead years ago. I needed something to knock out the pain fast, as i have bone on bone/nerves in my lower back , no hardware, 2 emerg lamy's, nerves entrapped. Opana for breakthrough took too long, i waited as long as i could , 45 min to 60min. Be on floor in a ball with shocks every 6 seconds,and toes and feet sawed off. Body would Jolt . I would take another dose of opana and a couple time i almost woke up dead, in my own excrement. Only complaint i have on Fentora is that it is like a sweet tart, and you're not suppose to suck on them, . I also have sore in my buccal area now

January 19, 2014 9:31 PM
Review by Empathetic soul: User Rating:

fentanyl for Chronic Pain: I suffer from severe chronic cluster head aches that last 3 or more days at a time.I had back problems as well,at work one day I fell 30 feet & landed in a wheelbarrow.I hit my neck on one side and injured my L4 L5. I've been n pain management sense 07 long story short I ended up on 75mcg patches ever 48 hours. They did not last 72 hours for me.I was given 600mcg fentanyl lozenges they r fast acting.I was given 1 every 6 hrs. Best brake through meds I've use.u can suck on them 4 15 min.yet if ur pain subsides u can stop after 5/10 min they take 15 min to de solve.u can store what is left n the package n ur refrigerator n use it later when needed.pills don't always work rite away n some times u don't need as much.

January 16, 2014 10:40 AM
Review by klassiebutterfly45 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: Helped ok but had a lot of breakthrougg pain.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 11, 2014 9:35 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: Have been taking Duragesic for 10 years. It works great, I use a coupon that covers up to $50. out of pocket, my insurance copay is $35 therefore I pay noting for name brand. The generic does not work as effective as name.

December 16, 2013 2:26 PM
Review by wm05: User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have been on the 75 mcg Fentanyl patch for about four years now. I've have had problems finding pharmacies that carry my patches so I hope they aren't taking them off the market. But they have helped me a lot with my back before/after surgery I switch them every 48 hrs otherwise I start going through withdrawal.

November 21, 2013 11:43 PM
Review by REIDER: User Rating:

fentanyl for Pain: I was first prescribed oxycodone 5 mg/2 tabs/twice daily, as required. Then put on the 25 mg/mgh fentanyl patches. They were a God send. The only problem I had was that every 50 hours (average) they would stop working. I had to have someone from Mylan, send me a letter to show to my doctor in order to change to every 48 hours.

November 21, 2013 5:55 PM
Review by dudley59: User Rating:

Duragesic-100 (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: It's alright for chronic pain.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 19, 2013 7:04 PM
Review by Jessnco (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have had several surgeries to rebuild my shoulder muscles and have had one tendon reattached to the bone and covered with a plate as well as arthritis in my spine. The pain is unbearable at times and sometime I can't even walk. I was taking the extended release Oxycontin and norco for break-thru pain which didn't help much. They seemed to last a few hours and that was that. Even then I didn't do much because of pain. My doctor had me try the 75mcg patch for 72 hours and I was amazed. I can wake up in the morning and almost jump out of bed. We have changed to a patch every 48 hours as on the 3rd day it didn't seem to work. But now depending on what I do during the day I am virtually pain free.Highly recommend, get ur life back

November 13, 2013 2:10 PM
Review by paulmorin11: User Rating:

fentanyl for Chronic Pain: I have ben on Fentanyl for more than three years now with great success, no major problems or side effects. Although about three months ago I started having some real bad side affects from the drug. After about 24-36 hours of putting on the patch I would start to get pain, agitation,sick feeling all over my body, fatigue, restlessness, very tired, neck and back muscular pain and bad headaches as well as confusion and the sweats etc.. All the classic symptoms of the patch not working properly. I am in the process of talking with my doctor about rectifying the problem with my dosage and time frame on how often to change the patch. If I knew how bad the feeling was to withdraw from this drug was i would have never taken it.

November 9, 2013 3:09 PM
Review by ambitious (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Actiq (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: overall it has been good, I'm on oxycontin 3times a day long lasting, then actiq for breakthru, it works much better than oxycodone and I don't get sick or lupey from it, however I do on occasion need to take 2 lozegers as my doctor refuses to up either my long lasting or the actiq, don't understand as I am on very low doses and have been RESPONSIBLY taking pain meds for more than 7 years now. overall a very good pain med.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 7, 2013 12:06 AM
Review by Carol in Ohio (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

fentanyl for Pain: I went through the myriad of short acting oral analgesics, and just couldn't stand the constant ups and downs, and always felt like I was only comfortable for half of the life of the pill. I asked my doctor to take me off OxyContin (40 mg.), he offered Duragesic as an alternative. I use 100 mcg every 3 days with no problem. Side effects are constipation, and short term memory loss. I'll happily trade that for effective pain relief. A huge plus is not developing a tolerance for it, so I don't have to have it constantly increased over the years. I don't use "breakthrough" meds, but I use Lyrica (about 6 years now) to help with pain from nerve damage. The combination works great for me.

November 4, 2013 2:08 AM
Review by emk125 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

fentanyl for Dercum's Disease: I was in so much pain and the other options, like Lyrica and Cymbalta, gave me serious allergic reactions. The only problem I had was that no doctor besides Dr Karen Herbst in AZ (a specialist in Dercum's Disease), understood the extreme pain of this disease. At least, not in my HMO, Kaiser Permanente here in Northern California. I had a month's worth of 25mcg fentanyl patches and for the last three weeks I have been on them, I have been able to be a "Mom" again and participate with the family, take care of them and join in actually living my life again. I am at a loss on how to convince the pain doctors at my Kaiser that this "chronic pain" patient's quality of life is greatly improved by the use of opoids, in this case the Fentanyl patch

October 26, 2013 9:22 PM
Review by LisaFabe: User Rating:

Duragesic-50 (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have had positive experience with the patch, I also have to say that the patch has helped my neuropathy pain in feet and hands and that I have to say it has helped my restless leg syndrome. I have had more comfort with the patch with all three conditions. The maker of the patch should look into using it for neuropathy and restless legs syndrome also. I have tried other medications but the patch has helped my pain relief and relief of other conditions.

October 7, 2013 10:23 PM
Review by mark22660 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

fentanyl for Chronic Pain: Neurologist started me on 25 mcg and I didn't feel any relief until 50mcg and no side effects. Over time went to 75 mcg and then to 100mcg with fabulous results. Patch is to be changed every 3 days, but I had to every two days and was prescribed to do so. This is a fabulous medication for severe chronic pain relief, HOWEVER it's really hard to come off of, so be sure it's done properly down 25mcg every 3 months and the last 25 goes than to 12mcg for 3 months and done.

September 23, 2013 8:43 PM
Review by MiniGirlTX: User Rating:

fentanyl for Pain: I have just recently started this medication for severe Fibromyalgia pain. Unlike most others who have posted here, I have not been taking strong opiates for my pain prior to being given this patch by my doctor. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia eight years ago after being rear ended in an auto accident that happened twelve years ago. This past year, I have been on Hydrocodone 5/500. Prior to that I was on Tylenol for pain relief. After 4 days of being on the 12.5 mcg patch, I am beginning to get some relief for my pain. I think I am going to like this patch.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 23, 2013 6:01 PM
Review by b0ynsea (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have been using the 50 now for 4 months, I do regularly wake up and the bed is soaked in sweat, the patches never work for 3 days and on the 3rd day I am back on my Norco. I have found that if I shower 1-1.5 hours prior to a new patch and hold it in place they stick much better, the pain relief is much better than the Norco but I recently noticed a wheezing cough that is getting worse could be allergies, but wondering if others have had the massive sweats. I still work and sometimes if in a position I know that would be painful without the patch.

September 3, 2013 10:56 PM
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

Advanced Breast Cancer: Learn about treatments to improve quality of life. Click Here