User Reviews for Fentanyl

Also known as: Abstral, Actiq, Duragesic, Duragesic-100, Duragesic-12, Duragesic-25, Duragesic-50, Duragesic-75, Fentanyl Transdermal System, Fentora, Ionsys, Lazanda, Onsolis, Sublimaze, Subsys

Learn more about Fentanyl.

Sedation 1 reviews 38 medications

6.4
Postoperative Pain 4 reviews 5 medications

Summary of Fentanyl reviews 283 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Fentanyl

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Pain: "I have trouble keeping it sealed all sides I have to use tape lost 3 patches"

Nannygrunt May 16, 2016

For Anesthesia: "Was administered fentanyl during endoscopy and stopped breathing once during procedure and once in recovery. Still woozy two days after having had fentanyl; also perspire after any mild exertion. The drug seems to not agree with me at all; better to go through the rages after Demerol."

yenaika (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

Subsys (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: "I was given Subsys as a replacement for 30mg instant release OxyContin. 800mcg 4x per day instead of 4x 30mg OxyContin. My usual opiate regimen is 3x 80mg OxyContin, which has been at this level for 16 years now. Combined with the 4x 800mcg Subsys my pain is controlled more than ever has been (since 1990 when it began), but the dosage is so strict that there are times when I have to live with unbearable break through pain for up to 8 hours. Is my pain under control? Yes, but I live with a pain level of 7-7.5 24/7/365. Without Subsys my pain would be unbearable."

KosmoInNYC May 9, 2016

For Pain: "I had 2 broken knuckles replaced. Sent home with oxycontin and oxycodone. They were like eating a tic tac. I ended up spending a week in the hospital pushing a button on a pain pump which contained morphine. IT did absolutely nothing for my pain. Finally, I was seen by a pain management doctor who prescribed 50 mcg fentanyl patches every other day. I was able to go home and start physical therapy. I am so thankful they found something that worked fro ME. Every patient is different and everyone responds differently to different medications. I am a 100 pound 55 year old woman."

vlee (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "I started on 25 after 6 months went to 50 mg another year 75 mg 2 years 100 mg I have stayed at this level about 4 years some weeks I need the my pain pills for beak through pain every 6 hours but most of the time I take it once a day.Before Fetanyl I would always wake up at night with horrible pain then after taking meds.it would take a couple of hours to get the pain back under control. It has been a life saver for me as for the patch wearing off to soon I have forgotten to switch my patch and it is usually the 2nd day before I start hurting badly the other thing is I never take pain pills unless my pain is above a level 4 this has always helped me not to crave them and it may be why am not as sensitive as those who try for a 0 pain level"

7yearsonfetanyl April 28, 2016

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I have found that at least one out of each box of 5 has little or no medication on it. This has put me back in horrible pain and dangerous withdrawal symptoms..I was given the 25 mcg/ change every 72 hrs to take the place of my deactivated morphine pump that malfunctioned (overdosed & under dosed)..Diagnosis: severe scoliosis,degenerative disk,etc."

EnuffsEnuff (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "I guess I must have a very,very strong constitution as I have been on the 50 mcg patch for about 6 months now, I started reading about the side effects from withdrawal and it scared the crap out of me,so I decided to make an appt. With my pain doc,it's for 4/27. As of right now it is wednesday at 9:45 a. M. I was supposed to change out the patch on this past sunday,i haven't changed it yet,i still have the one on from the last time which was 4/13/16 the only thing I noticed last night is I was jittery and after taking my sleep meds temazapam and 1 mg of generic xanax, I was tossing and turning and feeling slight muscle spasms,a lack of sleep isn't that bad. I do feel qck tempered but will smoke a little tnite and that will help w/sleep."

joe1954 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "I'd been on OxyContin for 10 yrs prior to Fentenyl Patch 50mg. After relocating to FL I have found securing Oxy suppy spotty. At best-never knowing from mo to mo whether it was going to be available-driving to 5-6 pharmacies(no info given via phone)& maybe only getting 1/2 my pills. Solution was to switch to Fentenyl which isn't as effective-I now use much more hydracodon for breakthrough pain, plus dispensing of Patch is erratic = first night of the 72 hrs I'm wide awake & by last 24 hrs relief is very weak. Constant problem in FL heat of patch staying adhered. Until FL lightens its restrictions on acquiring Oxy, the Patch will have to do(this is my 3rd yr with Fentenyl)."

PennyDeeWill (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 31, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "my experiecnce with the patches is that they work amazing if you get the right dose and the correct brand. The matrix patches are junk you are lucky if they stay on after 24 hrs if you take a shower and happen to have oily skin. Now the gel patches work extremely well - the adhesive for some reason is way better. I read over some comments also about what classifys 48 hr to 72hr and that would be your physician also if you really read the papers that come in your boxes of fentanyl you will notice that the pharmakinetics of the patch over the 72 hours the first 24 are ok then from 24-48 is peak working condition then they start to taper off and this is what you need to explain to your physcian show paperwork & pain diary hope that helped"

LA80'sman (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2016

For Chronic Pain: " When my medical care first stopped giving me my Methadone for chronic pain, I was switched to a 25 mcg. Fentanyl patch. It did nothing at all. I was then moved up to 37 mcg's of Fentanyl. Again, it didn't work. My PCP finally put me up to 50mcg's, but no luck. Now I'm on 100 mcg's of Fentanyl, and it still doesn't work at all. This medication is worthless, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. I'm finally going to see another pain doctor and get on something that actually helps, so I've got my fingers crossed. The bottom line is that at least for me, Fentanyl patches are absolutely useless!"

Desperate for relief February 11, 2016

Duragesic-50 (fentanyl) for Pain: "I have been all the way up to 150-200 mg with 30 mg breakthru. I really had a life then but wasn't really "there". I couldn't find any doctor in my area to presribe fentenyl so all I got was 15mg oxycodone and that's it. I have a 30 degree curve in back, left hip damage, Crohn's disease and now colon cancer. I'm back on them but only at 50 mg every 72 hours. It's a joke. The DEA here is cruel to people that truly need it. Tolerance included, I don't absorb oral meds but do receive very few 15's for break thru. I am waiting for a pain pump once my colon is removed but can I make it? I'm angry, depressed and want to just sleep without screaming."

bloxham (taken for 10 years or more) January 19, 2016

Fentora (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I have been on fentora for six months with the fentanyl patch and it does an amazing job."

AKALADY (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2016

Subsys (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I live with chronic pain from many different health issues. I have 3 types of migraines, liver disease, Crohn's disease, gastroparesis, IBD, IBS, gerd, ulcerative colitis, pseudotumo cerebri too many things to list. However I stay in pain. I have been on every drug known to man and this is a fast acting medication that helps the pain and you don't feel like your on cloud 90. My insurance has been great and now they don't want to cover it but want to pay for a drug that cost more then this medication that will do nothing but make me in more pain because we get to play the guess game till we find the dose that will work if we do find one and then pay for more er trips. Not happy. Subsy gave me my hubby and kids back somewhat again."

Kittykat2153 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2016

Fentora (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Fentora gave me my life back! But it is very hard to get it covered. They do, however, offer a coupon program for those who can't. Our cost out of pocket was going to be just about $5,000 per month. Insane! Thankfully my pharmacist told me about the coupon program. This brought our co-pay to $5 per month! I have been on Fentora for years now. Probably 5-7 years. I've been through 3 insurance companies. I've always gotten my Fentora, after long battles. The only negatives to Fentora are: 1) if your mouth is too wet it will dissolve almost instantly and it won't give you the same help so I try to dry my mouth out first. 2) if you put them in the same spot you will get sores 3) hard to cut in half; they disintegrate Otherwise, miracle med"

Tvanhook (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2016

For Pain: "My husband has Stage IV Tongue Cancer. He was put on fentanyl patches starting at 25 mcg & was raised to 150 mcg q 72 hrs. What determines 48 hours or 72 hours the ins.? How do they know what relieves a persons pain especially one with cancer! It has been terrible watching him in such pain because the ins. won't cover the patches when necessary with the Drs. approval due to increase until pain relieving amount was reached! Any ideas what I can do??"

helpless caretaker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2015

For Pain: "My husbands ins. keeps changing the quantity allowed a month, he also takes 4 mg dilaudid for breakthrough pain. Now they are rejecting a prescription that is for the same exact amount except that instead of 10- 100 mcg patches & 5-50 mcg patches(i don't know why they won't give him 10- 50's like the Dr. prescribes) she wrote it for 20-75mcg 2 q 3 days. The reject message says maxium daily dose of 0.36 isn't this the same as 1-100mcg & 1-50mcg q 3 days?"

helpless caretaker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2015

Actiq (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Used after surgery because allergic to morphine. Very good results."

Mama wing (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2015

For Postoperative Pain: "I got this drug post surgery twice and it had little to effect on my pain. Unfortunately I had forgotten to mention before the second surgery that it failed to work the first time around. Both times I awoke from surgery in tears and severe pain. Only after convincing them I was awake enough for them to take out the tube in my throat, aka using all my strength and energy to hit the side of the bed and staring straight into the eyes of anyone who came near me, was I able to request a different medication for my pain. Immediately upon switching my pain decreased. May be unique to me as I've also heard very good things from others."

:) (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "It saved my life! I can not, despite trying, take oral long acting narcotics. The biggest issue is the perception and doctors reaction, including pain management professionals to this medication. Yes, you develop dependence. Addiction is different. It is when you abuse your medication and continue to do so despite negative problems coming from that. The two words are NOT interchangeable. I am on 112 mcg/hour and change every 48 hours rather than the normal 72 hour dosing. It has allowed me to do the things I need to do in my life. I was virtually bedridden before going on Duragesic. It cover my pain for the most part, unless I am doing things physically that make the pain flare into a breakthrough. I take Morphine 30mg for BT pain."

Sasha M. (taken for 10 years or more) October 27, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "Hi, Using fentanyl for spinal stenosis and colon cancer. I really can say enough how well it works. I have no side effects. Fentanyl gave my life back to me, I lived on couch for 5 years. Its just enough to make pain bearable without getting high. 50 mcg/hr. There is one thing I want to pass on. I cant speak for any other state. I have random urine tests and have no problem with the tests. But I come to find out I am on VT narcotic users data base. Who cares right? Wrong when looking into this data base I am listed with all the druggies. Their is not a separate list for prescription users. As far as this list goes being mixed with drug abusers is just wrong. An nothing can be done to change this data base."

Me in VT (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 15, 2015

Duragesic-100 (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I had a bad injury to my neck and back due to a head on collision with a double decker bus for years I was in severe pain I was on gabapentin-morphine then along came fentanyl patches I started on 25 over 72 hours then 50, then 125 over 48 hours I could not believe the difference just a dull ache I could put up with the hot and cold flushes and slow running heart"

young finn 67 (taken for 10 years or more) September 26, 2015

Abstral (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: "I was enrolled in a clinical trial for abstral 7 months ago. This worked well for me so my pain doc started giving it to me. Now my doc is being told I am not allowed to use it because I don't have a diagnosis of cancer. I have lupus, fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis which are quite debilitating most of the time. If I am not having a lupus flare up, I'm having a fibromyalgia flare up or a RA flare up, so I never know when I'm going to have a hard day or a good day. I don't wish for cancer but I do wish the pharmaceutical companies would realize that cancer patients area to the only ones in chronic breakthrough pain. Abstral works well and works in five to eight minutes. "

Puddles614 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 25, 2015

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Was on vicodin for years and was taking 8 a day. Doctors recommended Fentanyl. I got immediately relief. I have to apply 1 every 72 hrs. 100mcg. For me it works but doesn't last 72 hrs. Should be able to overlap. My breakthrough med is morphine codone. Wish I could find a breakthrough med that works for me. Chronic pain for 15-20 yrs."

Eugene58 September 14, 2015

Subsys (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I am really pleased with the pain relief I get from Subsys (400mcg 3xday). The only bad experience I've had was a surprise withdrawal episode. I take the Subsys like clockwork and seldom am late with a dose. The only explanation I could come up with for the surprise withdrawal was a new habit I started of eating a piece of chocolate candy immediately after spraying a dose of the Subsys under my tongue. Apparently, the medication was not being absorbed in my system. I have sinced stopped that practice and hopefully won't have any more 'surprise' withdrawal episodes."

RSD-Left upper extremeity (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 25, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "I'm a 37 year old male 6'8" about 250 lbs, I worked in corrections for about 12 years. I've had 3 back surgeries in 18 months and have been on Lortabs, Percocet to Roxycodone and it helped to some extent. I now have to have another surgery for 9 ruptured discs along with epidural fibrosis and granulation of the S-1 nerve root. My family doctor recently put me on the Fentanyl 50 patch and it's the best thing I have ever had. I can actually walk and sleep. I used to spend up to 70% of my day in bed due to the pain, now I can function to somewhat of my old self. Nothing will completely take away the pain, but man, these patches are awesome! No need for pills anymore. Don't let the fear of becoming addicted to these keep you from enjoying life."

Deputy326 (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2015