Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Fentanyl

Also known as: Abstral, Actiq, Duragesic, Duragesic-100, Duragesic-12, Duragesic-25, Duragesic-50, Duragesic-75, Fentanyl Transdermal System, Fentora, Ionsys, Lazanda, Onsolis, Sublimaze, Subsys

Learn more about Fentanyl.

Sedation 1 reviews 38 medications

Anesthetic Adjunct 0 reviews 7 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fentanyl reviews 243 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Fentanyl

Review by Silverbullet52 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Chronic Pain: Condition: DDD L4-L5 S1 & Muscle damage to Left Shoulder. due to gunshot. Previous Meds: MS 30mg x 2 PRN, Percocet 10/325 x 4hrs PRN, & Duragesic 25mcg x 72 hrs. Fentanyl Experience: Excellent around the clock pain management. Side Effects: Light intermittent night sweats. Conclusion: Excellent P/M management.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2015 11:29 AM

Review by King O' Pain (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Subsys (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: Works in just a few minutes. I like the spray in place of the Fentanyl sub-lingual tabs. I like Sub-Sys made by INSYS Pharm. I know I have been on these type med's for 20 yrs.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2015 5:36 PM

Review by cybersleuth58 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Chronic Pain: I'd been on long acting morphine and MSIR but the pain was like a roller coaster. After sustaining a serious fracture, the orthopedic surgeon had me evaluated by a pain clinic. The doctor there did a thorough assessment and gave me my life back when she prescribed Fentanyl. Since the Fentanyl I've had not one trip to the ER for a flare... in 8 years! I've never needed an increase, either.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2015 8:20 AM

Review by TTTrama (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Dercum's Disease: I started using fentanyl for Dercums disease over 4 years ago. I started on 25 mcg. and worked great until my body demanded more or became used to the medicine. I went to the 50 than to the 100 mcg every 48 hours. I felt normal again from the pain of this horrendous disease to a point! No one really understand how extremely painful this disease is! I just had a pain pump installed in October just because its much safer for long term use, and I will say what a difference if it wasn't for this medicine I'll be as honest as possible I would have taken my own life! It's that bad, I just wish more doctors would research this and understand, not make people think its all in their head. which they do!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2015 11:56 PM

Review by Rebbee (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: My husband has been on the 25mcg Fentanyl patch for almost 5 yrs and it has been a life saver for him. The main problem for him is the constipation, which if he drinks his Smooth Move senna tea daily, it relieves the constipation. Also, for people who say the patch comes off, first use skin prep wipes by Smith & Nephew, apply patch and then apply a Tegaderm Film cover over the patch. If you use products like this your patch won't come off and it's waterproof too. Even when you get the 'sweats' the patch will stay on. Most of these products you can get at medical supply stores or ebay.

January 25, 2015 12:19 PM

Review by billkparrot:

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I broke my neck 2years ago 3 neck surgery's. 4th coming. This patch has been the only medicine that relieves pain. United Health will not cover it after December 31 2014.

December 14, 2014 6:41 PM

Review by Decoy Lab. (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Duragesic-75 (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: In 7 yrs of going through every painkiller known to man my pain management doc finally found a combination that works very well for me and gave back some of my life. My combination is Fentanyl 25 and Norco 10/325 for breakthrough pain. I have practically no side effects and does very well at managing my pain 24/7. I can function up to 4 hrs before the pain levels start to rise and have to stop. My issues are severe lower back pain from degenerative and bulging disks L 3-6. Both hips broken and severe osteoarthritis, same for right knee. My right Achilles tendon was torn up by a dog resulting in every infection including MRSA and Cellulitis. Multiple surgery's and 18 months to close. Now very painful and always a burning pain. This combination knocks out 90%.

November 4, 2014 11:55 AM

Review by Jack11186:

Actiq (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: Mostly good but my pain would be worse at night when trying to sleep. I would take a dose and due to the 20 minute time to dissolve properly, I sometimes fell asleep with it still in my mouth which over time has done massive damage to my teeth nearby the cheeks in every quadrant of the mouth. The dental work required is in the ten thousand dollar range which I can't hope to afford. As a mid aged man who is divorced, this causes problems with the ladies and I don't blame them.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 7:14 AM

Review by Deeeeeeerrrttttttttttto0:

Subsys (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: Works for the flares better than the rest of the medicines I've tried.

October 15, 2014 9:56 AM

Review by tsstorm:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: Having chronic pain in my whole spine they gave me the Fentanyl patch they started low dosage then they moved me up to 75mg. At this time in my life I was also had hot flashes. I seen no warnings nothing about that. Long story short after the second day I started withdrawing and that people is not a pretty site. I had no idea what was going on. So I never went back on it. There should be a warning to all doctors and pharmacies. I had to pull it off the internet to show my pharmacy.

October 9, 2014 5:19 PM

Review by IRONMAN55 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anesthesia: The patches wore out usually in 24 hours or less. I would go into withdrawal symptoms prior to the next patch. I had very bad thoughts, pain, shakes and severe breathing problems which seemed to be a side effect. Not a good experience, I am trying to go cold turkey to get off it. I felt way better on 3-4 Vicodin than 75 mg release fentanyl.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2014 2:16 PM

Review by SnowWhyte (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I was on 25mcg/72 hours (then every 48 hours) for RSD/CRPS along with Norco for breakthrough pain. This medicine worked great for about the first month or two then stopped. For some reason my body stopped processing it properly and it quit helping me at all. And the side effects were awful (namely weight gain and HORRIBLE sweating!) Also, getting the patches to stay on, even with the overlays (sent free from Mylan- the brand my pharmacy stocked- just call Mylan to get them) was difficult, especially with all the sweating. Happy to be getting off this. Hoping to find something else that will work without the side effects of Fentanyl.

September 19, 2014 2:20 PM

Review by Dave 52:

Subsys (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: My PCP doc had increased the amount of Oxycontin I take from 2 to 3 a day when they changed the formula in order to get the same amount of relief. The down side was he said I was maxed out on my pain meds now and took away my meds for break through pain. He suggested seeing a pain management doctor after a car accident that was making break through pain unbearable. The pain doc started me on a P-STIM and wanted me to try the Subsys. With such severe pain I agreed to it. I will never look back at my decision to try it as it has been a life saver for me and will take my pain from a 10 to a 2 very quickly. The only set back I can see is you have to wait a 1/2 hour before you can do another spray.

September 4, 2014 12:30 PM

Review by Finnster48 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have had 5 back surgeries in four years with the last one being a double fusion at L-4 to S-1. This last surgery failed again, and they are now considering another one to fuse my lumber spine all together. I have been on Fentanyl patch along with Percocet for three plus years. I take 150 mcg every 48 hours along with ten Percocet a day and still in pain. I just wish I could find something that relieves the pain to at least allow me somewhat of a better life. Right now I am basically house bound and depressed and sometimes very angry.

August 20, 2014 11:43 PM

Review by missxc36 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Dercum's Disease: I've been diagnosed with Dercum's Disease last year in July 2013. I've tried too many medications to count. I live in Alberta, Canada. I don't know what the medical regulations are in the U.S. are or if they differ from state to state. Here, as far as pain allowances go before they decide to prescribe opiates of any kind, they leave it up to the prescribing doctor. I went from Lyrica to gabapentin to mexilitine to hydromorphone and now the fentanyl patch (100 mcg) every 3 days. Does it work for me? I would say yes, to a degree. I'm on all those meds mentioned above minus the Lyrica. My pain levels on average daily are at an intolerable 8 on a scale between one and ten. It's bearable, whereas before it was excruciating.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 15, 2014 3:50 AM

Review by Lasardo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have Crohn's Disease, 30 degree scoliosis, 14 reconstructive surgeries on my pelvis. Among many other issues. I was mainly put on it because a Crohn's patient does not absorb oral meds very well. The Mylan brand is the only one that works (change 48 hrs) but I sweat profusely! The doctor will not switch me. It does work for pain, yes, but getting them to stick while constantly sweating is another story.

August 3, 2014 8:28 PM

Review by serafino:

For Chronic Pain: I shattered my L1 in 1997 they put me on Oxycontin 40, 150 a month but I was always running out then the doctor put me on methadone as well but I was on the nod all the time and sleeping, then I went to a pain management doctor for pro logog injections and he took me off the meds I was on and put me on the 100 patch but it was not enough so he put me on 200 ml every 48 hrs. If it wasn't for the doctor and the fentanyl my mother of 78 would still be outside shoveling the driveway in the winter. I have a life now because of the patch.

July 30, 2014 3:16 PM

Review by lookn to be normal (taken for 10 years or more):

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I've been using it for 10 years and I'm heading to Stanford University for detoxification, wish me luck.

July 10, 2014 6:45 PM

Review by Gatorboggs:

For Chronic Pain: I was in a bad motorcycle wreck June 20 2013, broke 6 ribs, shattered clavicle, fractured pelvic, and lots of crush injures, they tried Percocet alone would not stop the pain many months of suffering with no sleep, till they give me the Fentanyl 100 mcg patches. I was finally able to get relief and sleep. This is a great medication and life saving for me the crush injures alone was a living hell and no sleep for months on top that is enough to drive anyone insane, this medications is safe if taken right and has keep me for losing my mind and has giving me a better quality of life, it just a shame I had to suffer all those months without it.

July 9, 2014 7:22 PM

Review by lipomatosis (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: Three back surgeries and degenerative disc disorder, Pain 24/7.

June 20, 2014 6:49 PM

Review by Yohav (taken for less than 1 month):

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I've had the 75 mcg/hr patch on for 1 week with the pain level still the same as before using. I hope I'll be able to go to the 100mcg with better pain relief than the 75. Thank you!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2014 11:45 AM

Review by GBS- (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: I have a Pars defect and spondylolisthesis at L5-S1 and also a rare variant of Guillain-Barre Syndrome (a rare autoimmune form of peripheral neuropathy). I had been taking 120mg/day of MS-Contin & 60mg/day of oxycodone (along with gabapentin and muscle relaxer). Switching to the patch (75mcg changed every 48hrs) has made a big difference - I actually have mornings where I wake up not in awful pain! I've been able to be more mobile, more independent, and have even been able to lower my daily oxycodone intake to 50mg. It was kind of tricky at first to find the best places to put the patch. Also, I learned Mylan (maker of the generic patch I use) will send covers so you don't have to buy the Tegederm ones; just contact them through their website.

May 27, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by mari jane:

Duragesic-100 (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: Very helpful, but feel antst at times.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2014 10:01 AM

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have severe low back pain, spinal stenosis, and a bulging disc. I was on my feet a lot because of my job which caused my pain to become worse. I was taking Norco alone which I couldn't take while working, plus the pills would not last long. Many times I was in tears. Finally my doctor put me on Fentanyl 25, then increased to 37, then finally increasing to 50. It was a God send because the pain decreased tremendously. I have the sweats and chills at times but that's a small price to pay for the relief I have received. At first I had severe itching, but my doctor have me to use Cortizone. I put it on and put the patch on about 30 minutes later, and no more itching. I am now retired and my patch was decreased to 25.

May 23, 2014 11:33 PM

Review by Texas 3 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: I have epilepsy and first ruptured a disc during a seizure about 4 years ago. I was on Norco, I think, until my Neuro saw how bad the imaging looked and put me on 50 mcg of fentanyl/72 hrs. Totally took care of my pain until I had surgery. About a year ago the pain came back worse than ever and after a bunch of tests I was referred to a PM doc. He started me on Vicodin until he could do an injection, but it barely touched my pain. Switched me to Oxycodone 10 mg/6 hrs. I was still hurting BAD and had a patch still, which I used. He put me on fentanyl. I needed a fusion, which I had 3 months ago. Pain still bad, on fentanyl 75/48 hrs and oxy. Tried Opana, didn't like it. Worst is sweats and weight gain, plus keeping patch on. Still, let's me live.

May 15, 2014 2:56 AM