User Reviews for Fentanyl

Also known as: Abstral, Actiq, Duragesic, Duragesic-100, Duragesic-12, Duragesic-25, Duragesic-50, Duragesic-75, Fentanyl Transdermal System, Fentora, Ionsys, Lazanda, Onsolis, Sublimaze, Subsys

Learn more about Fentanyl.

Fentanyl review summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1833 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Fentanyl to treat Pain

Review by tam36et:

Just wonderful for my pain couldn't ask for anything better

March 13, 2014 7:48 PM

Review by butch1972:

I started taking fentanyl after trying every other opiates available and finally found relief. I'm on the 25mcg patch. I'm in the 36 hour right now on the first pass and so far it's perfect and surprisingly has my pain on a 9 out of 10 taken care of with breakthrough medicines. I felt the patch when I finally slept in for once this morning without having to wake up to the pill schedule.

January 23, 2014 7:12 PM

Review by REIDER:

I was first prescribed oxycodone 5 mg/2 tabs/twice daily, as required. Then put on the 25 mg/mgh fentanyl patches. They were a God send. The only problem I had was that every 50 hours (average) they would stop working. I had to have someone from Mylan, send me a letter to show to my doctor in order to change to every 48 hours.

November 21, 2013 5:55 PM

Review by Carol in Ohio (taken for 10 years or more):

I went through the myriad of short acting oral analgesics, and just couldn't stand the constant ups and downs, and always felt like I was only comfortable for half of the life of the pill. I asked my doctor to take me off OxyContin (40 mg.), he offered Duragesic as an alternative. I use 100 mcg every 3 days with no problem. Side effects are constipation, and short term memory loss. I'll happily trade that for effective pain relief. A huge plus is not developing a tolerance for it, so I don't have to have it constantly increased over the years. I don't use "breakthrough" meds, but I use Lyrica (about 6 years now) to help with pain from nerve damage. The combination works great for me.

November 4, 2013 2:08 AM

Review by MiniGirlTX:

I have just recently started this medication for severe Fibromyalgia pain. Unlike most others who have posted here, I have not been taking strong opiates for my pain prior to being given this patch by my doctor. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia eight years ago after being rear ended in an auto accident that happened twelve years ago. This past year, I have been on Hydrocodone 5/500. Prior to that I was on Tylenol for pain relief. After 4 days of being on the 12.5 mcg patch, I am beginning to get some relief for my pain. I think I am going to like this patch.

September 23, 2013 6:01 PM

Review by Anonymous700 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Duragesic (fentanyl): Controls pain very well. Great for baseline around the clock coverage with short acting medication for break through pain. DO NOT ABUSE THIS MEDICATION!

July 6, 2013 5:34 PM

Review by Pain no more:

Sublimaze (fentanyl): Fentanyl saved my life pre-back surgery. The sublingual fentanyl literally is the best pain reliever (severe pain relief only! Not for mild to moderate pain) more than Kadian, Norco, Oxy. I was in so much pain Fentanyl got me through it, back surgery was a success and life is moving on; almost pain free.

March 28, 2013 11:51 PM

Review by SUZANNEY01 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Duragesic (fentanyl): I was "scared" at first to try Duragesic because I knew this was a very strong pain killer. But I was taking so many pills without much relief that something else had to be done. I still have some pain (back pain - 3 compression fxs., and a fractured kneecap). The patches have been a big help in managing all my bone pain. Glad I was "brave" enough to try them. My Dr. is great to prescribe them,

December 3, 2012 1:39 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was put on Duragesic (fentanyl) for severe back and migraine pain. Oxycontin and Percocet didn't touch it. I am allergic to codeine and hydrocodone. At first the patches were a God send- The first 24 hours were hell (vomiting, dizziness, heart racing) but it got better when my body got used to medicine. UNFORTUNATELY about 6 months later I would lose track of hours of time. People said that I would "zone out" during conversations and just stare at the wall. Next came spasms. I would have horrible cramps in my legs. My toes would curl up, my legs would start to shake. I had to step down off the patch 25MGs at a time. Once out of my system the spasms stopped.

August 23, 2012 10:58 AM

Review by bzbx (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I developed RSD after diving off a ladder onto the driveway. I tore the labrum in my left shoulder by severely dislocating that shoulder. The pain from RSD is overwhelming, so after using Morphine, Trileptal, and other pain meds. I started using the Duragesic patch, 25MG then 50MG then finally settling on 100MG. I put on a new patch, every other day. The three day use was really ineffective on the third day. I used a fentanyl lollipop for breakthrough pain, which happens a lot with RSD.

July 27, 2012 12:34 PM

Review by Achy, breaking head (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Actiq (fentanyl): My experience with Actiq was like a miracle. I get many, very severe migraines, especially when I am in a stressful, rushed situation. Some of these occasions are holidays, birthdays, etc. I would try to prepare ahead of time, but frequently I would get a migraine. When a bad migraine doesn't abate after the usual rescue and pain management medicines, I would take Actiq, without it I can't participate with my family to help with any preparations, spend any time with them, and can't even sit down to have a meal with them. After several times of a ruined holiday or special times with family, they either forget you or resent you. Children don't understand at all. So, the next time there's a special event, you get nervous thinking of it.

June 30, 2012 4:57 AM

Review by Corey James (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl): The fentanyl transdermal system, (Duragesic 75 mcg/hr), aids greatly in the relief of my lower back pain. The only down side to the fentanyl patch is that after two days or 48 hours of wearing the patch, it seems as though my pain resurfaces pretty badly upon the third day of wearing the system. I spoke with my primary physician about this issue and he suggested dispensing 15 patches each month so I could replace the system once every 48 hours or two days. Since I've been changing the patch every two days, my pain has reduced greatly and I haven't had to use my "rescue" oxycodone 20 mg IR tablets as much. THANK YOU DURAGESIC.

June 13, 2012 3:24 PM

Duragesic (fentanyl): I started on the patch approximately 6 yrs ago with a 0.50 patch for low back pain. Due to withdrawal symptoms on the third day, (sweating, chills, fatigue) I was increased to a 0.75 patch and then again to a 0.100 patch. I've been on it for two years and with the exception of the first 36-48 hrs. I have side-effect problems that are terrible. I have lost all my upper teeth due to gum loss and decay, this just after spending $2000 to get my teeth put into shape. I go from hot flashes and drenching sweats to chills every 10 to 15 minutes. I have severe backache, headache and urine retention. The patch did wonders for my pain, but long term, the side-effects aren't worth it for me.

May 23, 2012 1:23 PM

Review by tallone44:

Fentanyl has been a life saver. Started on 25mcg patches/72 hours and over the years have progressed to 100mcg/72 hours. I also have Vicodin and other medications that treat my diseases and also help alleviate pain. However I have been experiencing a lot of breakthrough pain recently so my physician is making changes in my medications and fentanyl is one that he is considering changing the dose and shortening the time to 48 hour patch replacement.

May 10, 2012 9:34 PM

Review by Coach K (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been having back pain since 1998, when I had my first spinal fusion. My back is now a solid unit from L3 south. I am going to see my spine surgeon to see about fixing the latest pain problems. I change my patch every 48 hours. I used the Watson patches for several years. They were effective, except for the falling off mentioned by others. Paper tape solves that issue. My latest experience is with Nylan. These have been wonderful; they actually stay on my skin and the amount of fentanyl is much more consistent. My new ones are from Mallinckrodt/Covidien. We will see how they work. Before I was put on patches, I went through all the usual meds. They would help, but not keep the pain under control. Patches are the way to go.

May 10, 2012 2:10 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been on these patches for about 2 years. I started out on the 25 Mcg's and now am on the 100 Mcg's, and I change them every 48 hours. They work great. I also am on Oxycodone 15's 1-2 every 4-6 hours for break through pain, but I usually do not need to take them that often. I have a rare muscle condition that causes extreme pain. during the years prior to being on these I have been on just about every type of pain medication,(narcotic and non-narcotic) that you can think of. I must say that these are by far the best and I would recommend them to anyone that has real issues with pain. they are not for people that just have occasional migraines or back pain.

May 5, 2012 3:15 PM

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl): These have saved my life, I've been on the patch for 3 months, 25 mcg, every 48 hours. I think maybe one more adjustment will do it. Keep in mind they are to be used with a breakthrough medicine also. Well since I've been on patches I forgot about pills. Still have to take them though. I have 6 year old boy I can play with him again. That means the world to me. Give them time to work, and it took 3 adjustments to get them right, it took 6 weeks, three 2 wk trial periods. Word of warning my doctor went on vacation during trial period, I had only been taking them for a month, the withdraws were very bad. As soon as he got back I couldn't wait to start on them again. That says a lot. You have to plan ahead with these meds. Call 4 or 5 days before refill.

April 23, 2012 8:56 PM

Review by valkel:

This medicine works great for me. The only problem I have is they only last 2 days. I have to tape it on, and they cause constipation.

April 4, 2012 7:18 PM

Review by Mad Dog:

Good all round pain reliever, some break out pain, cured by occasional Tylenol 3

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2012 3:35 PM

Fentora (fentanyl): This works! Finally something that will control my pain.

February 1, 2012 7:09 PM

Review by butterflyfish:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl): I have used fentanyl patch for 8 years. I have oxycodone for breakthrough pain. I have bulging disc L4-L5, fibromyalgia, depression, osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis, degenerative disc and back disease, chronic pain and fatigue. The side effects I have are constipation and sweats. When I have a really active day on the 3rd day I do notice I hurt more and use the pain medicine. I try not to overuse them. I am monitored regularly. Still need an epidural or trigger point shots occasionally. I became disabled at age 39 now 50. That part is not good but life is manageable now! I can live again!

January 28, 2012 1:49 PM

Review by ChronicPain Girl:

Fenanyl was recommended by the hospital pain management team. I had been on it for 4 years low dose 50 for 2 years then the 75. They worked well until i was hurt in an auto accident then had to move to the larger dose. Always had oxycodone for break through. The down side is it does leave you groggy. Once your body is used to the medication you have to constantly tweet your medicine. I recently changed medications, my head is clearer but my pain is off the chart. I think I will be going back to the fentanyl if I can't find a better alternative.

January 28, 2012 3:48 AM

Duragesic-25 (fentanyl): My husband has spinal stenosis. He had major back surgery so his Dr. prescribed this medication he was doing a lot better. He actually could move. Now his Dr. ups and quits and he has no more medication, no Dr. at his practice is able to write out this prescription for him and now he's back in bed.

January 26, 2012 1:45 PM

Review by Kanna37:

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl): I have Fibrolmyalgia, degenerative disc disease in my lumbar region and neck, my tailbone is broken in two places and has been for over two years, sciatica on both sides, degenerative disease in both hips, and chondromylacia in my knees. I finally got to go to a pain management specialist this last year. Oxycodone was horrible - worked minimally for an hour or two and then nothing. Lortab was okay, but nowhere near strong enough. Demerol wasn't strong enough, and caused me to have seizures. Butrans made me suicidal and had such horrible withdrawal symptoms. If you ever hear that name coming from your doctor, run. Then, we tried Fentanyl 62 mcgs and I'm finally getting somewhere. Needs to go up, but NO side effects except sweating.

December 18, 2011 8:54 AM

Fentanyl takes quite a for give pain relief after application of the patch, also they don't seem to last even 48 hours.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate