User Reviews for Fentanyl

Also known as: Abstral, Actiq, Duragesic, Duragesic-100, Duragesic-12, Duragesic-25, Duragesic-50, Duragesic-75, Fentanyl Transdermal System, Fentora, Ionsys, Lazanda, Onsolis, Sublimaze, Subsys

Learn more about Fentanyl.

Fentanyl review summary

9.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Breakthrough Pain.

Reviews for Fentanyl to treat Breakthrough Pain

Review by Jack11186:

Actiq (fentanyl): Mostly good but my pain would be worse at night when trying to sleep. I would take a dose and due to the 20 minute time to dissolve properly, I sometimes fell asleep with it still in my mouth which over time has done massive damage to my teeth nearby the cheeks in every quadrant of the mouth. The dental work required is in the ten thousand dollar range which I can't hope to afford. As a mid aged man who is divorced, this causes problems with the ladies and I don't blame them.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 7:14 AM

Review by Deeeeeeerrrttttttttttto0:

Subsys (fentanyl): Works for the flares better than the rest of the medicines I've tried.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2014 9:56 AM

Review by Dave 52:

Subsys (fentanyl): My PCP doc had increased the amount of Oxycontin I take from 2 to 3 a day when they changed the formula in order to get the same amount of relief. The down side was he said I was maxed out on my pain meds now and took away my meds for break through pain. He suggested seeing a pain management doctor after a car accident that was making break through pain unbearable. The pain doc started me on a P-STIM and wanted me to try the Subsys. With such severe pain I agreed to it. I will never look back at my decision to try it as it has been a life saver for me and will take my pain from a 10 to a 2 very quickly. The only set back I can see is you have to wait a 1/2 hour before you can do another spray.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2014 12:30 PM

Review by Almost free (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Subsys (fentanyl): I was prescribed Subsys after being on the fentanyl patch for 6 months, 100 every 48 hours and as my cancer progressed and treatments happened, which caused more pain, I needed something for breakthrough pain really bad, I would be put down to my knees from the pain and just lay in my bed moaning like a child but Subsys works within minutes, eases the pain where I can feel it just literally fade away. I'd be in a wheelchair without it, or bedridden.

April 12, 2014 11:38 PM

Review by 22met15area12 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Fentora (fentanyl): i am on methadone for cauda equina nerve pain, and CRPS/RSD. If it was not for the fentora i would be dead years ago. I needed something to knock out the pain fast, as i have bone on bone/nerves in my lower back , no hardware, 2 emerg lamy's, nerves entrapped. Opana for breakthrough took too long, i waited as long as i could , 45 min to 60min. Be on floor in a ball with shocks every 6 seconds,and toes and feet sawed off. Body would Jolt . I would take another dose of opana and a couple time i almost woke up dead, in my own excrement. Only complaint i have on Fentora is that it is like a sweet tart, and you're not suppose to suck on them, . I also have sore in my buccal area now

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 9:31 PM

Review by ambitious (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Actiq (fentanyl): overall it has been good, I'm on oxycontin 3times a day long lasting, then actiq for breakthru, it works much better than oxycodone and I don't get sick or lupey from it, however I do on occasion need to take 2 lozegers as my doctor refuses to up either my long lasting or the actiq, don't understand as I am on very low doses and have been RESPONSIBLY taking pain meds for more than 7 years now. overall a very good pain med.

November 7, 2013 12:06 AM

Review by Dan K:

Lazanda (fentanyl): Fast onset. Works very well for relieving pain. Lasts about 50 mins.

March 10, 2012 10:20 AM

Fentora (fentanyl): I have a type of neuropathy that basically cripples me. I was taking oxycodone for years but it just made it so I could function. When my doctor prescribed Fentora it was like a miracle. I can live now. Not just get by.

January 9, 2012 7:55 PM

Review by podoc:

Fentora (fentanyl): I have MS and one of my symptoms is severe pain with muscle spasms. It gets so bad as to completely debilitate me where I am unable to stand, sit for long periods of time and walk up or down stairs. This medication is life saving for me. It has allowed me to return my functioning so that I am mobile again. I can walk up stairs, work out for short periods of time and live a fairly functional life were I can go to the store, walk around and attend family functions.

October 12, 2011 5:13 PM

Review by rsd victim:

Fentora (fentanyl): I'm in the same situation, my insurance stop paying for Fentora. Their response is that Fentora is used only for cancer patients. If there is more people in this situation please write. RSD is a terrible illness in my opinion.

June 2, 2010 1:08 AM

Review by Jewelie:

Actiq (fentanyl): I have used fentanyl for about one year for breakthrough pain when using Embeda or 120mg of oxycodone as the primary medication. Actiq works extremely fast and quickly takes down the pain and related panic. I can also easily moderate the amount of fentanyl by removing the lollipop once pain relief has been achieved thus avoiding overuse. I do not get the typical drowsiness of narcotics from fentanyl. My only complaint is that it is relatively short acting and usually worn off at about 2.5 to 3 hours. As a result I often have to use a less effective medication for breakthrough pain and need to ration the fentanyl.

May 30, 2010 8:41 PM

Review by loupgarous:

Actiq (fentanyl): I was essentially mis-prescribed Actiq when I should have been getting fentanyl patches for my cancer pain. This caused problems with both bolus dosing (transient overdosage) and build-up of opioid tolerance with the Actiq that have not been nearly as great a problem with fentanyl patches. Other patients may have different experiences; however for chronic cancer pain, the patches might be considered before use of Actiq.

April 25, 2010 12:14 AM

Review by anonamous:

Fentora (fentanyl): I have used Fentora for breakthrough pain due to RSD which is a nerve disorder. The medication when I can take it makes a huge difference in my daily routine. Unfortunately the last 2 years my current insurance will not pay for it so my family has been paying for it. Initially we paid $4000.00/month which quickly became impossible. I am currently taking 1/4 of my daily dose I should be on. Needless to say my daily routine now causes me to spend a lot of time in bed, pain and nonproductive.

February 8, 2010 1:33 PM

Review by Sputnik:

Fentanyl is a miracle pain reliever. I suffer from Pinched C-6?w/nerve damage; hand arm, face pain, migraines, loss of feelings, in certain areas. I also suffer severe pain in my hip and lower legs from an unstable ileum, with loss in certain areas.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 14, 2009 3:34 PM

Review by lebutcher:

Actiq (fentanyl): When on this medication,along with a long-acting pain medication, I feel this helps to wean down my pain levels.

August 21, 2009 6:01 PM

Review by KimTK:

I have cervical cancer after only 9 months after my kidney cancer. This patch takes away the pain but makes me loopy. Feels like I am very drugged. I would not attempt to drive with it in my system.

March 15, 2009 10:01 AM

Review by dugit:

Duragesic (fentanyl): I was in a terrible car accident and kept having chronic back pain. I finally found out I had herniated L4 and L5 in my lower back. I was given so many different medicines by my pain management doctors. Nothing was working not even the epidural steroid shots until I was put on duragesic. I have been on them for 3 years and I wear two patches I am on 125mcg. I was basically almost hopeless till I was put on fentanyl. Now I have never felt better at 27 and a single mother of a five year old I could not afford to be in the pain I was in. I wear the patches every 48 hours and I still have break through medicines. I'm thankful for this miracle drug.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 27, 2009 11:34 PM

Actiq (fentanyl): I have sinus cancer (twice) and I am left with recurring "ice cream headaches". The relief from Actiq has been virtually miraculous. It takes effect within minutes and it doesn't make me feel as medicated as I did with Vicoden. One of the best things about Actiq is that I can regulate the amount of medication to match my break through pain level. I don't have to take a pill, wait 45 minutes then realize that it isn't working. Take yet another pill and (another) 45 minutes later realize that I am over-medicated relative to my pain. When my doctor asked me how I was getting on with the Actiq, my answer was "Actiq gave me my life back."

December 8, 2008 2:21 AM

Review by blant88:

Actiq (fentanyl): This medication was like a miracle for me. I'm on 2 other narcotics but they hardly touch the pain. With this I feel as good as I did 13 years ago before I became disabled. Use responsibly as your doctor prescribes. This is by far the most relief I've ever had.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2008 12:57 PM