User Reviews for Adderall XR

Learn more about Adderall XR.

Narcolepsy 6 reviews 13 medications

Review by nopelol (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For ADHD: Amazing.

August 7, 2012 1:13 AM

Review by Smiley - Reece cup (taken for less than 1 month):

For ADHD: I am 22 years old and never was a bad student throughout school but was always very unfocused when it came to reading comprehension and listening to lectures. I now work for a general physician and she seemed to notice my frustration with not being able to get anything done when there was a lot to do. I would get very aggravated easily and had very bad mood swings. My doctor prescribed me Adderral XR and I waS very hesitant to take it. When I started taking it I felt like I was much calmer, was able to do my job. It's really great me and my husband get along now because I'm not so uptight. It does give me dry mouth and insomnia but I can deal with the no appetite. Overall I think it is great!

July 5, 2012 4:35 PM

Review by LillyF (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For ADHD: Adderall XR works wonders. I can finally get my scattered brain to focus on one thing at a time. The downside is that it doesn't work as long as advertised. I am lucky if it lasts 6 hours, and I work for 8. Once I get home, I feel like I'm having a major caffeine crash. I've heard that once you adjust to the medication, you stop crashing so hard. I've only been on it for one month.

May 1, 2012 11:09 AM

Review by PWinega:

It took a while to find the right problems then the right medicines, then the right dosage but once we did even my husband could tell the difference and I could too. It was an immediate difference, the next day with the Clonazepam I felt an instant calmness and togetherness that I had not felt before. I take 40mg (2 x 20mg XR) in the morning with Clonazepam 1 - 1 mg tab because I have panic attacks and anxiety sometimes. Then 2 -1 mg Clonazepam at night which relaxes me and I am able to not have nightmares and can sleep. Without the medicines including the Lexapro 20mg I have terrible depression, nightmares, cannot concentrate, the post traumatic stress disorder takes over and the hypervigilence is awful. The drugs have made such a positive difference and my husband agrees.

March 30, 2012 2:14 PM

Review by FUTURE MD:

For ADHD: I am a 36 year old African American female graduate student who is currently applying to med school, while working full-time in a hospital pharmacy. I had been on Effexor 150mg daily for several years for depression. Last March (2011), I was diagnosed with ADHD by a LCSW with 30 years of experience in the field. Initially, I was on Concerta 36mg, but switched to the less expensive Adderall XR 20mg daily. I find that my concentration is much better, but I have lost 30 lbs. & have a decreased libido. After taking Adderall XR 20mg for only 3 months, I saw significant improvements in my MCAT score (8th MCAT attempt)! This year, I am will definitely obtain a competitive score & finally secure my spot in med school. THANKS ADDERALL XR!

February 14, 2012 9:45 PM

For ADHD: It helps with everyday activities and I stay attentive and more focused.

January 31, 2012 6:17 PM

Review by gemzy:

For ADHD: Definitely makes me focus and achieve all things; through home and work. No more daydreaming! 30Mg XR.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2012 12:40 AM

For ADHD: Been on Adderall XR for a week and I can tell a huge difference in my daily life. I was prescribed 20mg once a day. I am 35 years old and I believe I have always suffered from untreated ADHD. My only complaint is with no insurance it is a fairly expensive medication but so far well worth the cost.

November 4, 2011 4:22 PM

For ADHD: I've been on Adderall since I was in high school, so about 5 years. It works well for my concentration and allows me to focus for an extended period of time, such as when studying. This medicine has definitely helped me but it has a lot of side effects. For me, loss of appetite, euphoria, and dry mouth is the most common. Headaches are frequent, but nothing Ibuprofen can't fix. I've been on/off antidepressants that affected the Adderall. When I was on Lexapro, taking Adderall would make me irritable, anxious, and paranoid. Sometimes to a full blown panic attack. Now I'm on Prozac and the Adderall combination is fine. But I still get anxious and mildly irritable when the "high" of the Adderall decreases.

October 28, 2011 5:15 PM

For ADHD: I have always known I was intelligent and a doer, but I could never finish a project or class work without starting another(2-3 really!) projects. Therefore I would always get depressed and feel worthless, I couldn't handle small talk and had extreme anxiety when I had to go to church because I couldn't sit still for more than 20-30 min without wanting to burst. My mom always found ways to teach me to calm myself down in different situations but she didn't understand how bad it was. She also didn't believe in medicating her children. I wish I could describe what my first 5 employers said about me when I left their companies. I will just say this, Adderall XR 20mg once in the morning has seriously made the difference in my life.

October 14, 2011 4:43 PM

Review by Mitzy69:

For Narcolepsy: I always been tired a lot (chronic fatigue), but symptoms worsen after my son had a near death auto accident, he was only 4. I took antidepressants for 8 years. It worsened my Chronic Fatigue. I was a mess, everything was falling apart around me. I did research on Adderall and talked to my Doctor. I take 40mg a day, I can't explain how much better I feel. I have control of my life again. I have energy to care for my family for the first time in years. Side effect is irritable at night, insomnia but the longer you are on it and the earliest you take it doesn't cause too much problems sleeping.

September 11, 2011 2:29 PM

For ADHD: I'm 18 years old. I have been on Adderall for about 3 years and it is amazing. I'm ADHD. I have tried Vyvance which did nothing for me. I have also tried Ritalin which caused a complete mood change. I had very depressing thoughts and a overall bad mood. The littlest things would set me off. I thought I was going to kill. Adderall is what I found right for me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 11, 2011 3:33 AM

Review by blinki218:

For ADHD: My 10 year old son has taken Adderall XR for about 3 years now. This medication is amazing! Twenty years ago my oldest son was diagnosed with ADHD and I refused to medicate him because all of the children I knew that were medicated were "zombies". This time when I had a child with ADHD I decided it was not fair to not medicate him and am so glad I did. With Adderall, he is alert and well behaved (for the most part). He says he can focus instead of daydreaming all the time. Insomnia and loss of appetite are the only problematic side effects we have, but have been easily remedied with Pediasure and melatonin. I take him off medicines two weekends per month to be sure he's not getting dependent and he goes right back to his normal ADHD self.

September 6, 2011 9:12 PM

Review by amanda3368:

For ADHD: Helps calm me down a lot.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2011 4:01 PM

For ADHD: I am 43 years old, dropped out of high school, had many bad relationships, many bad decisions, and could never finish 1 thing when I started it, could never be organized, could never remember things when first told, always lost things or misplaced them, tripped over my own feet, and was never good at keeping appointments, I would forget about them. I have been on Adderall for 4 years, had my ups and downs with it, have had to change the dose some, go off of it on my days off, because it got to where it wasn't working as well, and if I medicated myself, I took to much, or not enough. I do notice a BIG difference in the generic, even though they say its the same. Adderall XR has worked wonders for me, and has changed my life.

June 18, 2011 6:31 PM

Review by luvmesomeadderall:

For ADHD: Alright, if you're here, you probably already know most of this, but I'll say it anyway... This drug is f'ing amazing. I was a medical student before I accepted the fact that I had some serious issues with inattention. Some doctors/psychologists/etc. will try to tell you that you don't have ADD because you didn't beat kids up in class in elementary school, or because you managed to achieve some academic success, but let me tell you.. it's real son! I made it through med school with minimal use, but my surgical residency became a disaster quick. Please believe me when I tell you that this med single handedly saved my career as a surgeon. If you have any doubts, it's worth your while to look into adderall.

March 7, 2011 7:30 PM

Review by circahasfallen:

For ADHD: On my 4th day of Adderall XR! I just bumped up to 20mg today, and let me tell you, best ADHD drug I have ever taken! One, I feel happy and content. Two, I am a ton more focused! And three, I can sit on my couch and just chill or go out and play basketball with my friends or basically do whatever, my motivation is amazing! I tried Focalin XR, Concerta, Strattera worked for a year, then just stopped working. But I asked my doctor to let me try this medicine, and that is the best choice I have ever made. No insomnia but be ready for a loss of appetite. I lost 8lbs. in the 4 days I've been taking this. As long as it keeps working as it is, I can see me being on this for a long time.

February 27, 2011 12:10 AM

Review by 3rdGen:

For ADHD: I am a 57 year old male who struggled through five years of college and finally gave up without getting a degree. At home I would start projects and never finish them. In my early forties, I finally earned a BS degree out of sheer determination. My wife, who is a psychologist, gave me an IQ test and found that my IQ is rather high. I started asking myself, "Why have I been an under-achiever for most of my life?" My wife suggested that I might have ADD. I started taking Adderall XR 20mg about 6 years ago which changed my life for the better. I am now able to finish things that I start. Plus, I don't procrastinate nearly as much. I now read entire books, newspaper articles, etc., without quitting part way through.

February 10, 2011 4:03 AM

For ADHD: I have been on Adderall for several years now and can't say enough good things about the medicine. It helps me to focus on tasks and now that I am in college, it has really helped with my studies. It took me a while to come to the realization that I needed something to help with my ADD and I am glad I was prescribed Adderall. The side effects for me have been loss of appetite. I would have insomnia but I take anti-anxiety medicine before going to bed, to counter-act the medication. My short and unscientific philosophy on Adderall is that it bridges the gap between wanting to do something and actually doing something.

January 12, 2011 1:25 PM

For ADHD: Since I started taking 15mg of Adderall XR about 2 weeks ago I feel like it's changing my life for the better. I can't say it is having a huge impact on me but I can definitely notice a difference when I'm on it as opposed to when I'm not. My concentration has definitely improved. I can stay on the same thought pattern a lot easier and also follow through with the task at hand. I feel more aggressive towards events that happen it definitely gives me a different outlook.The only symptoms that I am getting with Adderall XR is a loss of appetite. It's really strange how I went from having a huge appetite to just not even thinking about eating or making it a priority. I don't like it but it saves me a bit of money.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2011 3:58 PM

Review by Candice M Spain:

For ADHD: This medication has totally changed my like for the better 100%. My life before Adderall was a huge mess and full of incomplete tasks and lots of trouble with work. Now my life is finally together and on track and almost everything I start also gets finished and pretty much right away. My daughter also is on this medication and she went from a D and F average in school to the A,B honor roll and doesn't have any more problems in school. This medicine was a life savior for the both of us... MOTHER AND DAUGHTER!

December 20, 2010 5:38 PM

For ADHD: Helps greatly.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2010 12:08 PM

Review by jreal:

For ADHD: I have been taking this for 2 days. It is great, I have been losing my appetite but have been eating when I get home. Other then that it is great.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2010 9:54 PM

Review by Jessica Elizabeth Nicole Haddax:

For ADHD: I find that with Adderall XR everything has improved. I am diagnosed with ADHD, OCD, Bipolar mixed cycling, and anxiety {GAD}. Before I would stay in bed for three weeks straight because I had no energy. With Adderall XR I am able to function. Recently I have lost my pill bottle (a real downside to being adhd - you loose things), and I am not looking forward to sitting through more classes without it. I think I've finally found the right dose - 30 MG once a day in the morning seems to work for me. I just cannot have any type of eggs. I notice, however, that this makes me feel a million times better. I've noticed a little weight loss but not much.

November 20, 2010 10:11 AM

Review by sjmoore4:

For ADHD: I began taking this before I began any other medication. It made me more anxious and nervous. It also seemed to increase my OCD (the "pure O" form) by making me more prone to think about my OCD. It did help me to focus on occasions, but it also made me focus on my anxieties and obsessions as well. My therapist told me that stimulants like this one and Concerta are not good for people with anxiety disorders (almost all of them), unless they have anxiety because they cannot focus and accomplish necessary tasks. I recommend talking to a counselor or Psychologist/psychiatrist before being prescribed stimulants for ADHD.

November 7, 2010 6:00 PM