User Reviews for Adderall XR

Learn more about Adderall XR.

Adderall XR review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Adderall XR to treat ADHD

Review by shrtybby (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Helps me 100 time over to stay focused at work and home. I also seem alot more alert at home

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2014 2:39 PM

Review by Jen P (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My 8 year old daughter has ADD, she is not really hyper, just has an attention deficit. We started her on Focalin, and that turned her into a clingy, bashful, quiet kid. I can't say if it really helped her in school; I never saw an improvement. Then we switched to Adderall 10mg XR this past summer, and she is doing well. SHE even told me she liked this medicine because she can focus now. She still needs us to keep an eye on her but she is much better than she was.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2014 10:27 AM

Review by chrishaw (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid because I was our typical class clown that didn't do anything in class. My parents took me to the doctor and I was prescribed Adderall and it did what is was suppose to but I absolutely hated because instead of playing at recess I would just read a book, so I quit taking it. Fast forward to freshmen year in college I was completely overwhelmed with school so I went back got tested and they put me on Vyvanse, it did the job but I was so mad when I was on it, they switched be to Adderall. It does exactly what it is supposed to do, make you productive. I went from a 3.0 to a 3.8 from this medicine. But make sure you eat, if you are on it your body will not tell you you're hungry.

July 16, 2014 4:30 PM

Review by Tony V:

I was prescribed Adderall XR for lack of focus and attention. After being on the medicine (10 mg) for 4 days I felt very confused and had trouble talking. I was stumbling over my words and second guessing myself. My appetite was altered (as expected) but I made sure I ate frequently. I also noticed I was very impulsive and short tempered, more than usually. I just wasn't my normal self on this medicine. I'm glad it has worked for many people, but it did not agree with me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 5:17 PM

Review by SuccessStory (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had unknowingly suffered from ADHD-PI for my entire life. I was constantly in trouble for losing my things, not paying attention in class, forgetting conversations, being unable to understand conversations, so on and so forth. My life was a wreck. My parents constantly told me that I was lazy and worthless. After I joined the military, I was diagnosed with ADHD and Adderall was the first and only medication that I was put on. I went from being the clumsy loser to the office hero. I recently started college and so far, I'm getting straight A's. This medication makes me cool, logical and focused. I took off a star because it makes me forget to eat sometimes and that makes me tired.

June 17, 2014 9:15 PM

Review by Brimanny (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Having been recently diagnosed with ADD at the age of 31, I would have to say that stimulant therapy has been a God send! My doctor first prescribed Ritalin-SR, and I felt it was not as effective as it could be, so she changed my prescription to Adderall-XR 20 mg and I feel it is working. I feel more focused at work with better concentration. I don't procrastinate as often as I have (my entire life), but one unexpected result of the therapy is I no longer feel irritable and short-tempered! I also don't feel frustrated as much as I used too. My staff and co-workers have noticed the difference and have told me they don't feel the need to "walk on egg-shells" around me! So in summation, Adderall is certainly doing the trick!

May 26, 2014 12:08 AM

Review by Gilmoregirl:

I'm so much more focused at work and home. But I noticed, if I don't eat, I'm a space cadet. Eating is very important, otherwise you're just wasting a good medicine. I also have ALOT more energy, By Far! I work the overnight shift at work, and it helps very much. Thanks Adderall.

April 14, 2014 6:27 AM

Review by Ana<3:

Adderall XR has been amazing for me. I was diagnosed with ADHD at age 5, and was on and off of stimulants since original diagnosis. As a kid I would go through bouts of taking it and bouts of pretending to take it. I tried to be unmedicated as an adult, but that only produced anxiety, likely due to my naturally occurring rapid thought processing and tendency to fail to complete projects (distracted by new thoughts). My quality of life is significantly better when I take Adderall and I see no shame to be had in that. I experience dry mouth fairly often, but overall it is amazing and totally worth it. I am however nervous about facing pregnancy without it, as well as breast feeding. This medicine really makes a difference in my life.

February 20, 2014 7:55 PM

Review by Matt Kazmir (taken for 1 to 6 months):

As a 16 year old junior in highschool, I never seemed to really notice how much I didn't pay attention to things that didn't interest me. As my family and friends have been saying how important getting good grades in junior year is, I thought deeply about it and found out that maybe I just don't care. Although it wasn't that, I really do care, but I just never wanted to sit down and do the homework. Because it's not interesting, even though I know how important it is. I eventually brought this to my mothers attention and she even noticed it for awhile, that maybe I have ADD. Eventually we went to a special Dr, he concluded I have mild/moderate ADD, started me on 15mg last month, didn't last all school day, and today i just picked up my 25mg

January 15, 2014 6:40 PM

Review by Zephead:

Been on it for five months. At first, didn't notice any change. Now I find myself daydreaming less. Concentration hasn't improved much, but I'm less impulsive and think things through more than I used to. Instead of having thousands of thoughts at once, I now only have hundreds. I like it it helps me.

January 11, 2014 5:28 AM

Review by LongDongJohn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medicine is amazing. I took it about 5 hours ago and still going strong.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 31, 2013 9:11 PM

Review by DPhysicist (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I am 21, I'm studying in physics and I have been on adderall for almost 2 years now. I started at 15 mg and I am now at 25 mg. It was good the first year, very effective. But now, I don't think it really helps. I feel sleepy with it and I lost attention very quickly. I don't think the dose is the problem, I feel the effect and I think that increasing the dose will augment the anxiety cause by it (I noticed that each time I had to augment the doses, the side effects was worst). I'm gonna return to Ritalin tonight, it was way more effective. Or maybe another one with methylphenidate. Concerta didn't works for me, maybe biphentin should.

November 4, 2013 5:03 PM

Review by gomer1947:

Couldn't live without it. Didn't discover it until a few years ago.

August 25, 2013 10:22 PM

Review by D Newberry RVT (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 25 years old. Over the last 3 years I have pretty muched ruined most of my relationships involving my career and my personal life. The most common symptoms I experience are: Difficulty concentrating and staying on task, caprishious behavior/severe mood swings, impulsive behavior/making irrational decisions that significantly impact my future, depression, and anxiety. I had a great job, and I had lots of friends. Unfortunately, difficult events took place that caused my emotional health to start spiraling out of control. I became diagnosed with ADD/ADHD in April 2013. Started Addrerall 30mg XR. It really helped me feel more motivated, less depressed, and I felt I could concentrate much better. I definitely recommend this medication!

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2013 5:40 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I started on 20mg Adderall XR 1 month ago. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 13. I was first medicated on Ritalin and I went off of it because it made me very uneasy on the insides. I managed to get through school with all applied courses because a gold fish had a higher attention span then me. If I could turn back time I would have chosen the Adderall path. Just a few side effects that really weren't to bad, I lost a lot of weight because it suppressed my appetite, it was all weight that I could afford to lose and I feel better about myself, I do however have to make a list of tasks before I begin my day or I just get super hyper focused on one thing for to long. I grind my teeth and I have to take sleep-aids but it's worth it.

June 26, 2013 4:01 AM

Review by JT07:

Started off with Concerta in May 2012 it was not effective at all, switched over to Adderall XR 10mg in July 2012 for seven days as a starter dose, then started Adderall XR 20mg, I noticed a considerable difference between the two medicines instantly. I am able to focus for a very long period of time without being distracted, my grades improved exceptionally, I went from receiving grades below 55% now my lowest grade is 83%. The benefits of this medicine do outweigh the side effects for me, I noticed 20 minutes after taking Adderall, I have increased bowel movements, lower libido and decreased appetite. I stop taking Adderall during breaks and long weekends, the first day not on it, I am extremely tired, exercising and eating healthy helps.

May 25, 2013 10:47 PM

Review by Levi9 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been taking Adderall now for about a month. So far so good, it's helped me focus a lot. I felt good before in regard to mood, now I feel even better. I'm concerned it may cause libido issues when I have been on it longer.

May 5, 2013 5:34 AM

Review by Kelbel926364:

I've been taking Adderall since my sophomore year of high school and I'm about half way through college now. When I first started taking it I went from D's and F's to straight A's. I loved everything. I wanted to learn everything. I also lost about twenty pounds just from loss of appetite. But now that I've been on it for a few years when I don't take it the withdrawals hit so hard. I can't even remember what the real person I was before I started taking it. My appetite sky rockets and I don't want to do anything but sit around all day. No motivation. I love being on it and being so productive but sometimes I get so overly focused I get really irritable with people around me.

April 24, 2013 11:53 PM

Review by DrBunny:

The best! No nighttime anxiety like on Concerta ,feel stable and able to think and be organized a good 10-12 hours . Also acts as an anti anxiety and anti depressant for me.

March 15, 2013 9:58 AM

Review by adds:

I'm able to tackle life and with a good mood.

November 15, 2012 4:07 PM

Review by NBA (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My focus and energy increased immensely. I did a 4 to 6 page research final paper in 3 days. I finally can focus on tasks and not spend hours and hours on one task because I dosed off and daydream. I also did a 13 page AP English within 9 days. I'm glad I decided to take Adderall XR at the end of high school and now I will be taking it while I'm in college. Is it a cognitive enhancer which is said a lot ABSOLUTELY NOT. It doesn't make you smarter, it doesn't improve your thinking, and it doesn't improve your memory. It just do what its suppose to do and helps you focus. The bad thing is that it is hard to sleep.

August 18, 2012 4:17 PM

Review by nopelol (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Amazing.

August 7, 2012 1:13 AM

Review by Smiley - Reece cup (taken for less than 1 month):

I am 22 years old and never was a bad student throughout school but was always very unfocused when it came to reading comprehension and listening to lectures. I now work for a general physician and she seemed to notice my frustration with not being able to get anything done when there was a lot to do. I would get very aggravated easily and had very bad mood swings. My doctor prescribed me Adderral XR and I waS very hesitant to take it. When I started taking it I felt like I was much calmer, was able to do my job. It's really great me and my husband get along now because I'm not so uptight. It does give me dry mouth and insomnia but I can deal with the no appetite. Overall I think it is great!

July 5, 2012 4:35 PM

Review by LillyF (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Adderall XR works wonders. I can finally get my scattered brain to focus on one thing at a time. The downside is that it doesn't work as long as advertised. I am lucky if it lasts 6 hours, and I work for 8. Once I get home, I feel like I'm having a major caffeine crash. I've heard that once you adjust to the medication, you stop crashing so hard. I've only been on it for one month.

May 1, 2012 11:09 AM

Review by FUTURE MD:

I am a 36 year old African American female graduate student who is currently applying to med school, while working full-time in a hospital pharmacy. I had been on Effexor 150mg daily for several years for depression. Last March (2011), I was diagnosed with ADHD by a LCSW with 30 years of experience in the field. Initially, I was on Concerta 36mg, but switched to the less expensive Adderall XR 20mg daily. I find that my concentration is much better, but I have lost 30 lbs. & have a decreased libido. After taking Adderall XR 20mg for only 3 months, I saw significant improvements in my MCAT score (8th MCAT attempt)! This year, I am will definitely obtain a competitive score & finally secure my spot in med school. THANKS ADDERALL XR!

February 14, 2012 9:45 PM