User Reviews for Adderall XR

Learn more about Adderall XR.

Adderall XR Review Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Adderall XR to treat ADHD

"I am only giving this a 7 because it definitely made a change in my ability to concentrate for long periods but it was not a pleasant experience. As soon as I took the medicine it would make me feel exhausted and tired. I would have to fight the tiredness to get any benefit out of it. By the end of the day I was drained. It also made me extra agitated. I couldn't focus on more than one thing at a time so when someone would distract me I would get very irritated. I also tensed up my muscles and had bad neck/bad pain. I switched to Ritalin but that was crap too. They put me on Vyvanse and it feels similar but less intense than adderall so we shall see."

Dee V (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2015

"I have ADD caused by major depressive disorder and stimulants have done wonders for me! However, Adderall makes me feel very anxious and panicky, and I don't like it at all. It lasts a long time and sometimes I can't sleep at night because of it. Overall, it's an alright choice. Might switch back to Vyvanse"

cjoy79 (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2015

"It made me more nervous than usual. It is less stimulating than Adderall IR. I decided to switch to Ritalin."

Parker2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2015

"I started it a few days ago. It helps me stay focused and less anxious in public situations."

Poolman56 (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2015

"This medicine is great for adhd but does not work for everyone in fact it made me feel angry,increased anxiety I've been dealing with and can kind of depress you i recommend adderall xr (even tho i stopped it) because ADHD is challenging and this medication made me very focused, like robot focused it was great! but i had to switch to prozac cause it gave me worse anxiety, if you have a problem with anxiety i don't recommend it,there are plenty your doctor can prescribe that don't have as much side effects. but all in out this medicine is great for treating ADHD good luck!"

Melvin am (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2015

"Had the best results from Adderall XR. So smooth that I could concentrate and felt like the most normal person with absolutely no highs and lows. I could sit and concentrate for hours, go to sleep like normal people and wake up like other adults. Insurance quit paying for it and had to switch to regular Adderall."

brain never stops (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 29, 2015

"The extended release tablets enable me to maintain a normal functioning rate, without crashing."

JHahn (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2015

"I've been taking Adderall XR 25mg going on my 4 month. It has helped me tremendously! I'm more focused and alert now. I don't feel as drawn out like I used too. I'm also on anxiety medicine taking both helps balance myself. I have a hard time wanting to eat since I've started taking Adderall, a lot of times I have to force myself to eat, but it has helped me lose 25 pounds!!! I find myself grinding my teeth a lot not sure why, but that's the worse side effect I experience from taking it. I feel more healthy now than I have in a long time, I will continue taking this medication."

Jojobabe11 December 9, 2014

"I love it, it helps me succeed in subjects/ work tasks that I have struggled with so much in the past which has affected my self esteem. I have been on it for 5 years. I take 20 mg twice a day, and feel a need to go up a bit for the dosage, it's been a while and doesn't feel as effective. "

LA4589 November 30, 2014

"I have been on everything from Concerta to Wellbutrin to Vyvanse. Next to Vyvanse, Adderall XR has been the most helpful. If I take it any later than noon, I will absolutely have insomnia. I also have to be careful about the foods I eat, and especially try to avoid my multi-vitamin in the morning (because of the citric acid). It doesn't decrease my appetite, sometimes I feel like it increases it, but it prevents me from binge-eating. I take 20mg Adderall XR with 25mg of Zoloft and though it helps with my OCD tendencies that Adderall is likely to cause, I don't think the combination works as well as Adderall XR by itself. I will also occasionally have heart palpitations, but that's usually a sign that I need to limit my coffee intake!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2014

"My 10 y/o daughter used this medication for several months. Was not as effective as a previous medication (Vyvanse). Did not last that long (effect wore off mid day) and caused her to have an increased heart rate daily. In addition, her entire mood changed. She became uninterested in even her favorite things, almost like a depression, and she also became extremely moody. Very irritable and easily aggitated and upset."

ChristineMh October 29, 2014

"Helps me 100 time over to stay focused at work and home. I also seem alot more alert at home"

shrtybby (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 29, 2014

"My 8 year old daughter has ADD, she is not really hyper, just has an attention deficit. We started her on Focalin, and that turned her into a clingy, bashful, quiet kid. I can't say if it really helped her in school; I never saw an improvement. Then we switched to Adderall 10mg XR this past summer, and she is doing well. SHE even told me she liked this medicine because she can focus now. She still needs us to keep an eye on her but she is much better than she was."

Jen P (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2014

"I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid because I was our typical class clown that didn't do anything in class. My parents took me to the doctor and I was prescribed Adderall and it did what is was suppose to but I absolutely hated because instead of playing at recess I would just read a book, so I quit taking it. Fast forward to freshmen year in college I was completely overwhelmed with school so I went back got tested and they put me on Vyvanse, it did the job but I was so mad when I was on it, they switched be to Adderall. It does exactly what it is supposed to do, make you productive. I went from a 3.0 to a 3.8 from this medicine. But make sure you eat, if you are on it your body will not tell you you're hungry."

chrishaw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2014

"I was prescribed Adderall XR for lack of focus and attention. After being on the medicine (10 mg) for 4 days I felt very confused and had trouble talking. I was stumbling over my words and second guessing myself. My appetite was altered (as expected) but I made sure I ate frequently. I also noticed I was very impulsive and short tempered, more than usually. I just wasn't my normal self on this medicine. I'm glad it has worked for many people, but it did not agree with me."

Tony V July 11, 2014

"I had unknowingly suffered from ADHD-PI for my entire life. I was constantly in trouble for losing my things, not paying attention in class, forgetting conversations, being unable to understand conversations, so on and so forth. My life was a wreck. My parents constantly told me that I was lazy and worthless. After I joined the military, I was diagnosed with ADHD and Adderall was the first and only medication that I was put on. I went from being the clumsy loser to the office hero. I recently started college and so far, I'm getting straight A's. This medication makes me cool, logical and focused. I took off a star because it makes me forget to eat sometimes and that makes me tired."

SuccessStory (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 17, 2014

"Having been recently diagnosed with ADD at the age of 31, I would have to say that stimulant therapy has been a God send! My doctor first prescribed Ritalin-SR, and I felt it was not as effective as it could be, so she changed my prescription to Adderall-XR 20 mg and I feel it is working. I feel more focused at work with better concentration. I don't procrastinate as often as I have (my entire life), but one unexpected result of the therapy is I no longer feel irritable and short-tempered! I also don't feel frustrated as much as I used too. My staff and co-workers have noticed the difference and have told me they don't feel the need to "walk on egg-shells" around me! So in summation, Adderall is certainly doing the trick!"

Brimanny (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2014

"I'm so much more focused at work and home. But I noticed, if I don't eat, I'm a space cadet. Eating is very important, otherwise you're just wasting a good medicine. I also have ALOT more energy, By Far! I work the overnight shift at work, and it helps very much. Thanks Adderall."

Gilmoregirl April 14, 2014

"Adderall XR has been amazing for me. I was diagnosed with ADHD at age 5, and was on and off of stimulants since original diagnosis. As a kid I would go through bouts of taking it and bouts of pretending to take it. I tried to be unmedicated as an adult, but that only produced anxiety, likely due to my naturally occurring rapid thought processing and tendency to fail to complete projects (distracted by new thoughts). My quality of life is significantly better when I take Adderall and I see no shame to be had in that. I experience dry mouth fairly often, but overall it is amazing and totally worth it. I am however nervous about facing pregnancy without it, as well as breast feeding. This medicine really makes a difference in my life."

Ana<3 February 20, 2014

"As a 16 year old junior in highschool, I never seemed to really notice how much I didn't pay attention to things that didn't interest me. As my family and friends have been saying how important getting good grades in junior year is, I thought deeply about it and found out that maybe I just don't care. Although it wasn't that, I really do care, but I just never wanted to sit down and do the homework. Because it's not interesting, even though I know how important it is. I eventually brought this to my mothers attention and she even noticed it for awhile, that maybe I have ADD. Eventually we went to a special Dr, he concluded I have mild/moderate ADD, started me on 15mg last month, didn't last all school day, and today i just picked up my 25mg"

Matt Kazmir (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2014

"Been on it for five months. At first, didn't notice any change. Now I find myself daydreaming less. Concentration hasn't improved much, but I'm less impulsive and think things through more than I used to. Instead of having thousands of thoughts at once, I now only have hundreds. I like it it helps me."

Zephead January 11, 2014

"This medicine is amazing. I took it about 5 hours ago and still going strong."

LongDongJohn (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2013

"I am 21, I'm studying in physics and I have been on adderall for almost 2 years now. I started at 15 mg and I am now at 25 mg. It was good the first year, very effective. But now, I don't think it really helps. I feel sleepy with it and I lost attention very quickly. I don't think the dose is the problem, I feel the effect and I think that increasing the dose will augment the anxiety cause by it (I noticed that each time I had to augment the doses, the side effects was worst). I'm gonna return to Ritalin tonight, it was way more effective. Or maybe another one with methylphenidate. Concerta didn't works for me, maybe biphentin should."

DPhysicist (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 4, 2013

"Couldn't live without it. Didn't discover it until a few years ago."

gomer1947 August 25, 2013

"I am 25 years old. Over the last 3 years I have pretty muched ruined most of my relationships involving my career and my personal life. The most common symptoms I experience are: Difficulty concentrating and staying on task, caprishious behavior/severe mood swings, impulsive behavior/making irrational decisions that significantly impact my future, depression, and anxiety. I had a great job, and I had lots of friends. Unfortunately, difficult events took place that caused my emotional health to start spiraling out of control. I became diagnosed with ADD/ADHD in April 2013. Started Addrerall 30mg XR. It really helped me feel more motivated, less depressed, and I felt I could concentrate much better. I definitely recommend this medication!"

D Newberry RVT (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2013

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next