User Reviews for Acyclovir

Also known as: Sitavig, Zovirax

Learn more about Acyclovir.

Acyclovir Review Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 35 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Acyclovir to treat Herpes Simplex

"I got herpes in my twenties and am now 62. Every few years it still flares up, usually from stress. This drug 200 mg 3x per day is a godsend. The blisters clear up almost overnight. No side effects."

oldgirl (taken for 10 years or more) July 24, 2015

"In my 70's now, thanks to my ex-wife who gave me herpes 10 years ago, I have to take acyclovir every day for past 10 years.. If I don't I will have a breakout if I skip a day. I am most fortunate than others. I get my sores on my lower back only. The outbreaks are rare but are brought on by stress. Wish there was an alternative, but none have been proven to work."

Senior Outbreak (taken for 10 years or more) July 21, 2015

"I got diagnosed with genital herpes last year around september and I got prescribed acyclovir and the initial outbreak was HELL! I was in so much pain with teeny tiny barely visible blisters around private area. But anyways, I started taking the pills, 3 a day and after a couple of days, the outbreak cleared up completely. I feel tingling around my bits like every month, when my period comes on and take the pills and the tingling goes away with a small blister barely noticeable. The pills don't cure the outbreaks but they do make them bare able and waaaaaaay less annoying. Sometimes you'll forget completely about it."

DeezBurningNuttz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2015

"I started getting cold sores about 2 years ago. I have tried everything...rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, nail polish remover, L-Lysine, bactine, abreva, ice, biotin...you name it and I've tried it. Nothing worked for me. Finally I sucked it up and went to a doctor about it and was prescribed acylvoir. I don't get any kind of tingle, so at the very first sign of a bump, I take 2 400mg pills, and then about 2 hours later I take 2 more. Within hours the bump is gone. This drug is a miracle!"

mlj27 June 21, 2015

"It is an effective remedy but the side effects in my case were worse than the problem. There was a point after about a week on the drug that I thought I was going to die. Daily it got worse and I felt very tired all the time and it caused severe dizziness, trouble breathing and while I was lying in bed I was woke up with a terrible feeling that I was passing out and could not go back to sleep and just lay there with the feeling of my head swirling."

Dada1111 (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

"I have been on this pill now for three days after suffering an attack for almost a week, I am feeling much better. The tingling and itching have reduced. Anti itch medicated cream from the 99 cent store really helped with the itching. I am just a lil tired and feel a little achy. I will take that anytime than the feeling of this painful virus."

mercy36 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"Acyclovir 800 tab 4 times a day for 5 days. First pill stopped the cold sore in its tracks it immediately stopped growing with just the first pill. Second day the tingling phase stopped, they erupted, and by the end of the 2nd day they were drying out. I had to stop at the end of day 2 due to this medicine being too strong for my stomach. I ended up with a gastritis flare up, terrible stomach pain, diarrhea and nausea. If it wasn't for that, this medicine would get 10/10!"

VanessaBoo February 25, 2015

"I used to get cold sores four or five times a year, sometimes more often (especially when I was dealing with the stress of college). They would appear at the most frustrating times! I tried a bunch of alternative remedies, per the recommendations of friends and family, including L-lysine and tea tree oil. I even found myself putting nail polish remover on my lips (word to the wise: don't do that). Finally, I explained to a doctor how often I was getting outbreaks and how bad they were, and they prescribed 200mg of acyclovir a day as a suppressant. It didn't seem to do anything; the cold sores kept coming. Then, another doctor upped my dose to 400mg twice a day. I didn't get a cold sore for almost five years!"

CharlotteLinnae January 21, 2015

"I took acyclovir 400mg 5 times a day 4 hours after tingling. Completely gone in 2 days. But what is weird is it worked only one time, it never worked again. I have had ten more since the first time it worked. I did try it again on a few separate outbreaks it never even slowed it down."

Jare (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2014

"I started taking acyclovir 2 days ago and I Already feel better my outbreak is 90% clear and so far no side effects. I take 800mg 5 times a day for 7 days...O and I take it for having the shingles which is like herpes"

anonymous 327 (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2014

"I was prescribed this medication a few months ago and I absolutely love it. Whenever I feel a cold sore coming on, I take three 400mg tablets every 8 hours (the recommended dose by my doctor) and it stops the cold sore right in its tracks. If I'm lucky, I catch the cold sore in the tingling stage and immediently take the pills, and that usually stops the cold sore from breaking out. If I do end up getting a cold sore, I keep using the pills and it Speeds up the process and stops the cold sore from growing any bigger. This medication is amazing and I am so glad to finally have found something that actually works, as I am almost 20 years old and have been suffering from cold sores since age 4."

Candyy March 26, 2014

"I've experienced cold sores ever since i was 13 years old, but being a college student now and constantly stressed out ive been getting them more frequently. I tried everything from abreva, all the house remedies, and ointments, but none of them worked. So i got prescribed to the 400mg dose and these pills do wonders! I felt the bump yesterday and the first stage of the blister had started and i took the dosage i was prescribed and woke up today with the bump the same size. So i took another one and within two hours it was completely gone. I am so happy to have found something that finally works"

Liz730222 January 21, 2014

"I have been plagued by cold sores since I was 14 years old and have struggled at finding any effective medication, including Abreva. A year ago I could feel an outbreak coming and did some research online and found acyclovir. I read the reviews and figured I'd try it. Within 24 hours my forming cold sore stopped and began to heal and shrink, within 3 days it was almost non existent. Yesterday I woke up and realized over night with no notice a huge sore had formed and the virus was on full unrestricted attack. Went out, got Acyclovir and again, within 24hours what was bound to be a huge long drawn out cold sore had stopped, shrunk and began healing. Acyclovir with Abreva has proved to be a miracle. TRY IT! P.S No side effects for me."

Unavailablee January 9, 2014

"I have been on the medicine for almost 2 years now and I have only had 3 outbreaks so far, don't know what causes them but I start taking my meds 3 times a day with an outbreak and hope it works."

hopeful 1 April 16, 2013

"I woke up early in the morning and felt the tingle of a new cold sore. I went to the doc and got a prescription within the hour and took my first 400 mg pill of acyclovir. I used Abreva right when I felt it and a few times that night. I took 3 pills over the course of the first day. When I woke up the next morning the bump had not gotten bigger but had not gotten smaller either. It was hardly noticeable I should add. I took 3 more pills over the course of the second day and the bump has not grown any bigger. I woke up the 3rd morning and it has shrunk in size. I encourage everyone to get a large stock of acyclovir and take it IMMEDIATELY when the tingle is felt. Even if it is just maybe a cold sore. It is totally worth it."

Occasional (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2013

"I used to get Cold Sores rarely, but more stress & it's been a nightmare! On top of that I kept missing work whenever I got breakouts (for a week at a time) because I'm a Spokemodel. I started to get desperate, because I couldn't be reliable for work & started losing huge amounts of my income. Plus Cold Sores are a major bummer to go through. Finally talked to my Dr. I've been taking only 200mg a day. Then a few days ago, I took a chance and tanned my face & whammo I started getting a breakout. As soon as it came on I dosed up the Acyclovir and iced it for 2hrs. This stopped the sore in it's tracks. It disappeared completely and I am cold sore free! I can't tell you how relieved I am at how well this medicine works!"

ocsunshine (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2012

"I have been taking Acyclovir for almost 2 years now. I believe it to work because I've only had 1 outbreak in the 2 years. I was given the option to take 200mg every 4 hours. (equals 5 a day) for 5 days when an outbreak occurs or to take everyday but I have only taken for the 1 outbreak."

SmittyE (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 12, 2012

"If you get a cold sore outbreak in your mouth. Don't walk, RUN to the nearest medical practitioner that can give you a prescription of Acyclovir. Usually an outbreak would last me 3 weeks with just using over the counter creams. With the medication, my mouth was back to normal after 4 days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2012

Zovirax (acyclovir): "Zovirax is my first choice for treatment of cold sores which I've had since I was a young girl. Using it in conjunction with Abreva helps promote healing from within the sores; and eliminates the crusty/scabbing that comes with cold sores. Abreva is best used at the first sign of any itching (that familiar feeling of onset) apply as directed on the bottle, and your cold sore will be gone without anyone noticing you even have one. I am just getting over one and with Abreva alone it took three days, no scabbing or crusty formation making it unsightly and causing embarrassment."

Anonymous December 11, 2011

"This with the combination of Abreva is a miracle. "

Anonymous December 11, 2011

"I had my first out vaginal herpes breakout three days ago, and it was the worst thing to ever go through. First I had a yeast infection, then started my period, then I contracted a UTI then I got treated for both yeast infection and UTI. However I went to the emergency room because I had itching extremely bad then my skin began to crack and then ulcer like open sores were there. It was painful to urinate. So the ER doctor treated me with Acyclovir 800 mg 1 tablet 5 times a day, in two days time all my symptoms were wiped out. The only side effect is that my joints ache which is very unusual for me."

Anonymous November 16, 2011

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zovirax (acyclovir): "I used to have cold sores all the time when I was a child, either when exposed to too much cold or when exposed to too much heat. Finally, I found a doctor who gave me a prescription (just a few years ago, I'm already an adult) and the Doctor prescribed Zovirax 200 mg 5x a day for 5 days. When I am able to take the medicine as soon as I feel the blister forming, the blister will only last for a day; it will grow and then burst and crust over within twenty four hours, so I've never really had to take the medication for more than 2-3 days. Very thankful for this medicine."

Anonymous November 4, 2011

"I'm 25 and I've always had cold sores in my mouth since I was 4 and it can happen with sun or eating citrus. It's only getting worse now that I have braces so my Orthodontist told me about this pill and my doctor gave it to me and I love it EXCEPT I get a headache, fatigue, dizziness and joint pain...but it's totally worth it!"

Anonymous October 19, 2011

"If you take it right at the start of an outbreak it works really well. The sores that have already formed will disappear in about a week and it will completely stop any other sores from forming after the first dose. The only issue is that it makes me feel really ill. I feel nauseated all day, have diarrhea and completely lose my appetite."

Anonymous July 22, 2011

"Two days ago I found out I have genital herpes. This is the second day I've been taking Acyclovir. It's been working good so far. The stinging while urinating has gone away but not so much. I still have cold sores but hope that acyclovir gets rid of them. I'm praying that this works. "

Anonymous March 12, 2011