User Reviews for Acyclovir

Also known as: Zovirax

Learn more about Acyclovir.

Acyclovir review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Acyclovir to treat Herpes Simplex

Review by anonymous 327 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

acyclovir: I started taking acyclovir 2 days ago and I Already feel better my outbreak is 90% clear and so far no side effects. I take 800mg 5 times a day for 7 days...O and I take it for having the shingles which is like herpes

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 8, 2014 6:14 PM
Review by Candyy: User Rating:

acyclovir: I was prescribed this medication a few months ago and I absolutely love it. Whenever I feel a cold sore coming on, I take three 400mg tablets every 8 hours (the recommended dose by my doctor) and it stops the cold sore right in its tracks. If I'm lucky, I catch the cold sore in the tingling stage and immediently take the pills, and that usually stops the cold sore from breaking out. If I do end up getting a cold sore, I keep using the pills and it Speeds up the process and stops the cold sore from growing any bigger. This medication is amazing and I am so glad to finally have found something that actually works, as I am almost 20 years old and have been suffering from cold sores since age 4.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 26, 2014 6:05 PM
Review by Liz730222: User Rating:

acyclovir: I've experienced cold sores ever since i was 13 years old, but being a college student now and constantly stressed out ive been getting them more frequently. I tried everything from abreva, all the house remedies, and ointments, but none of them worked. So i got prescribed to the 400mg dose and these pills do wonders! I felt the bump yesterday and the first stage of the blister had started and i took the dosage i was prescribed and woke up today with the bump the same size. So i took another one and within two hours it was completely gone. I am so happy to have found something that finally works

January 21, 2014 6:46 PM
Review by Unavailablee: User Rating:

acyclovir: I have been plagued by cold sores since I was 14 years old and have struggled at finding any effective medication, including Abreva. A year ago I could feel an outbreak coming and did some research online and found acyclovir. I read the reviews and figured I'd try it. Within 24 hours my forming cold sore stopped and began to heal and shrink, within 3 days it was almost non existent. Yesterday I woke up and realized over night with no notice a huge sore had formed and the virus was on full unrestricted attack. Went out, got Acyclovir and again, within 24hours what was bound to be a huge long drawn out cold sore had stopped, shrunk and began healing. Acyclovir with Abreva has proved to be a miracle. TRY IT! P.S No side effects for me.

January 9, 2014 5:26 PM
Review by hopeful 1: User Rating:

acyclovir: I have been on the medicine for almost 2 years now and I have only had 3 outbreaks so far, don't know what causes them but I start taking my meds 3 times a day with an outbreak and hope it works.

April 16, 2013 2:14 AM
Review by Occasional (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

acyclovir: I woke up early in the morning and felt the tingle of a new cold sore. I went to the doc and got a prescription within the hour and took my first 400 mg pill of acyclovir. I used Abreva right when I felt it and a few times that night. I took 3 pills over the course of the first day. When I woke up the next morning the bump had not gotten bigger but had not gotten smaller either. It was hardly noticeable I should add. I took 3 more pills over the course of the second day and the bump has not grown any bigger. I woke up the 3rd morning and it has shrunk in size. I encourage everyone to get a large stock of acyclovir and take it IMMEDIATELY when the tingle is felt. Even if it is just maybe a cold sore. It is totally worth it.

April 13, 2013 12:03 PM
Review by ocsunshine (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

acyclovir: I used to get Cold Sores rarely, but more stress & it's been a nightmare! On top of that I kept missing work whenever I got breakouts (for a week at a time) because I'm a Spokemodel. I started to get desperate, because I couldn't be reliable for work & started losing huge amounts of my income. Plus Cold Sores are a major bummer to go through. Finally talked to my Dr. I've been taking only 200mg a day. Then a few days ago, I took a chance and tanned my face & whammo I started getting a breakout. As soon as it came on I dosed up the Acyclovir and iced it for 2hrs. This stopped the sore in it's tracks. It disappeared completely and I am cold sore free! I can't tell you how relieved I am at how well this medicine works!

December 13, 2012 8:15 PM
Review by SmittyE (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

acyclovir: I have been taking Acyclovir for almost 2 years now. I believe it to work because I've only had 1 outbreak in the 2 years. I was given the option to take 200mg every 4 hours. (equals 5 a day) for 5 days when an outbreak occurs or to take everyday but I have only taken for the 1 outbreak.

December 12, 2012 5:49 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

acyclovir: If you get a cold sore outbreak in your mouth. Don't walk, RUN to the nearest medical practitioner that can give you a prescription of Acyclovir. Usually an outbreak would last me 3 weeks with just using over the counter creams. With the medication, my mouth was back to normal after 4 days.

June 27, 2012 10:33 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zovirax (acyclovir): Zovirax is my first choice for treatment of cold sores which I've had since I was a young girl. Using it in conjunction with Abreva helps promote healing from within the sores; and eliminates the crusty/scabbing that comes with cold sores. Abreva is best used at the first sign of any itching (that familiar feeling of onset) apply as directed on the bottle, and your cold sore will be gone without anyone noticing you even have one. I am just getting over one and with Abreva alone it took three days, no scabbing or crusty formation making it unsightly and causing embarrassment.

December 11, 2011 7:29 PM

acyclovir: This with the combination of Abreva is a miracle.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 11, 2011 7:13 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

acyclovir: I had my first out vaginal herpes breakout three days ago, and it was the worst thing to ever go through. First I had a yeast infection, then started my period, then I contracted a UTI then I got treated for both yeast infection and UTI. However I went to the emergency room because I had itching extremely bad then my skin began to crack and then ulcer like open sores were there. It was painful to urinate. So the ER doctor treated me with Acyclovir 800 mg 1 tablet 5 times a day, in two days time all my symptoms were wiped out. The only side effect is that my joints ache which is very unusual for me.

November 16, 2011 12:21 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zovirax (acyclovir): I used to have cold sores all the time when I was a child, either when exposed to too much cold or when exposed to too much heat. Finally, I found a doctor who gave me a prescription (just a few years ago, I'm already an adult) and the Doctor prescribed Zovirax 200 mg 5x a day for 5 days. When I am able to take the medicine as soon as I feel the blister forming, the blister will only last for a day; it will grow and then burst and crust over within twenty four hours, so I've never really had to take the medication for more than 2-3 days. Very thankful for this medicine.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 4, 2011 7:47 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

acyclovir: I'm 25 and I've always had cold sores in my mouth since I was 4 and it can happen with sun or eating citrus. It's only getting worse now that I have braces so my Orthodontist told me about this pill and my doctor gave it to me and I love it EXCEPT I get a headache, fatigue, dizziness and joint pain...but it's totally worth it!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 19, 2011 2:20 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

acyclovir: If you take it right at the start of an outbreak it works really well. The sores that have already formed will disappear in about a week and it will completely stop any other sores from forming after the first dose. The only issue is that it makes me feel really ill. I feel nauseated all day, have diarrhea and completely lose my appetite.

July 22, 2011 10:48 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

acyclovir: Two days ago I found out I have genital herpes. This is the second day I've been taking Acyclovir. It's been working good so far. The stinging while urinating has gone away but not so much. I still have cold sores but hope that acyclovir gets rid of them. I'm praying that this works.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 12, 2011 11:09 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zovirax (acyclovir): I had my first outbreak over a year ago, been taking 400mg a day and haven't had an outbreak since.

January 6, 2011 1:31 PM
Review by happy finally: User Rating:

acyclovir: I've had outbreaks on my lips for over 25 years. At the age of 30 I'm told to try taking a pill at the first sign, only couldn't find a doctor to prescribe me any until AFTER I broke out so they could SEE I actually had one. Finally I found a doctor and now I take 200 mg every third night and a full 400 mg if I even think I'm getting a sore. So far so good, no outbreaks in 3 years. Love it. No side effects either!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 29, 2010 2:20 AM
Review by Joey W: User Rating:

acyclovir: Saved the vision in both my right and left eyes when I had a herpes outbreak in the retina.

September 2, 2009 2:22 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

acyclovir: Sorted me out good.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 19, 2009 9:20 PM
Review by T.D.: User Rating:

Zovirax (acyclovir): Been on Zovirax for 15 years. It barely worked when I started using it for genital outbreaks, absolutely does not work now. Three prescriptions of 800mg x 3 times per day has not slowed down or even put a dent in a 4 month long outbreak.

July 17, 2009 11:43 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

acyclovir: I went to the doctor today and they looked in the back of my throat. There were white irritated pockets in it. There were sores on my upper lip, on my bottom lip and roof of my mouth. Of course I thought it was STREP THROAT, so the doctor gave me a strep test and it came back negative. He said it was a form of herpes. A viral canker sore infection. So he prescribed me ACYCLOVIR 200MG. I take 2 capsules 3 times a day for 5 days and it should clear it up.

April 24, 2009 3:08 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zovirax (acyclovir): I been taking this medication for about a week and can still feel some pain but other then that it's works really well. I been taking 400 mg three times a day.

February 21, 2009 1:38 PM
Review by jlsAL: User Rating:

Zovirax (acyclovir): I have been taking zovirax for over 12 years, 400 mg each night at bedtime. I have only had a few outbreaks, caused by kissing my husband who had outbreaks. On doctor's orders, I am to increase to 800 mg each night at bedtime when I do have an outbreak, or when I'm not feeling well. Other virus' can set off a cold sore attack.

July 25, 2008 10:41 PM