User Reviews for Acyclovir

Also known as: Sitavig, Zovirax

Learn more about Acyclovir.

Acyclovir Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Acyclovir to treat Herpes Simplex

"I have been on Acyclovir for 3 days following a first outbreak of genital herpes - having never suffered with anxiety or depression, I've been crying about an hour after taking each pill. Feeling anxious, depressed , sweating, abdominal pain, short-tempered and very nauseous. Mood swings aren't in the side effects but they should be, as countless other people on similar forums have experienced the same."

katdef124 January 13, 2016

"This drug has helped keep outbreaks to a minimum. I rarely, if ever suffer with this horrible disease anymore. I'm 68, and had my first outbreak at age 28. At first I only took the medicine when I noticed the first signs of an outbreak. For me, that was a pain in my upper leg, like I had pulled a muscle. It worked ok, but didn't completely keep the outbreak from happening. For more than 20 years now, I've been taking 400MG's 2 times a day. Good effective medicine? Perhaps. It could also mean that when I was younger there was more sexual activity and more stress = more outbreaks."

2xday (taken for 10 years or more) December 6, 2015

"I love this medication. I've always used abreva but decided to get a prescription because abreva took forever to kick in. I recently had an outbreak because of stress at work. It started with one blister. I put the ointment and it went away in 24 hours with a minimal scab. I then had another outbreak 2 days after. This one also went away immediately with a minimal scab. The same weekend I got a bad outbreak where my lip swole up as well. I applied the ointment at night. The next day by 6pm the swelling was gone and the blisters became a tiny scab. I LOVE this ointment."

SmileA December 1, 2015

"I'm 52 married and thought I had a UTI so my Dr was treating me for that, a year later I found out my husband gave me herpes. I had a small outbreak last year but through it was from my new soap and another out break this year. My husband never had a outbreak but tested positive and decided to share he had an affair. This medicine has been a true blessing to me because I don't have anymore pain or side effects. Now I can concentrate on my divorce."

jobo60 November 20, 2015

"I started with feeling like I had a cut in my genitial area at first, was tested at urgent care for herpes (doctor said it doesn't look like herpes) he came back telling me I had herpes two days later, I was then explained I have genital herpes, went to my gyn and was told I don't have genital herpes but herpes simplex. I was prescribed this drug and have never had an outbreak on my mouth before and so far I have had three oral outbreaks while taking 400mg twice daily. Within 23 days of use....? I want to try taking 400mg in the morning and 800mg at night now because this is not helping me. Haven't had any breakouts anywhere else though. Now bf has a cold sore as well. I need more than this."

SDRV (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2015

"I'm 25 years old, When I first realized something was wrong was when I felt like I had a cut down on my genital area, I then realized there was a new form of a bump and then the itching came along and the burning sensation when I used the restroom. I decided to see the clinic because i knew something was wrong. She ran tests which I am still waiting for to come in this week, but from what she said, she said it looks like Herpes. She prescribed me acyclovir 400mg this past Monday which was two days ago. I have to take one ever 12 hours. It seems to work for so long, like a few hours, but i am still feeling the pain, and I feel like more bumps have appeared. I'm terrified. I still have burning sensation. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2015

"I got herpes in my twenties and am now 62. Every few years it still flares up, usually from stress. This drug 200 mg 3x per day is a godsend. The blisters clear up almost overnight. No side effects."

oldgirl (taken for 10 years or more) July 24, 2015

"In my 70's now, thanks to my ex-wife who gave me herpes 10 years ago, I have to take acyclovir every day for past 10 years.. If I don't I will have a breakout if I skip a day. I am most fortunate than others. I get my sores on my lower back only. The outbreaks are rare but are brought on by stress. Wish there was an alternative, but none have been proven to work."

Senior Outbreak (taken for 10 years or more) July 21, 2015

"I got diagnosed with genital herpes last year around september and I got prescribed acyclovir and the initial outbreak was HELL! I was in so much pain with teeny tiny barely visible blisters around private area. But anyways, I started taking the pills, 3 a day and after a couple of days, the outbreak cleared up completely. I feel tingling around my bits like every month, when my period comes on and take the pills and the tingling goes away with a small blister barely noticeable. The pills don't cure the outbreaks but they do make them bare able and waaaaaaay less annoying. Sometimes you'll forget completely about it."

DeezBurningNuttz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2015

"I started getting cold sores about 2 years ago. I have tried everything...rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, nail polish remover, L-Lysine, bactine, abreva, ice, biotin...you name it and I've tried it. Nothing worked for me. Finally I sucked it up and went to a doctor about it and was prescribed acylvoir. I don't get any kind of tingle, so at the very first sign of a bump, I take 2 400mg pills, and then about 2 hours later I take 2 more. Within hours the bump is gone. This drug is a miracle!"

mlj27 June 21, 2015

"It is an effective remedy but the side effects in my case were worse than the problem. There was a point after about a week on the drug that I thought I was going to die. Daily it got worse and I felt very tired all the time and it caused severe dizziness, trouble breathing and while I was lying in bed I was woke up with a terrible feeling that I was passing out and could not go back to sleep and just lay there with the feeling of my head swirling."

Dada1111 (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

"I have been on this pill now for three days after suffering an attack for almost a week, I am feeling much better. The tingling and itching have reduced. Anti itch medicated cream from the 99 cent store really helped with the itching. I am just a lil tired and feel a little achy. I will take that anytime than the feeling of this painful virus."

mercy36 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"Acyclovir 800 tab 4 times a day for 5 days. First pill stopped the cold sore in its tracks it immediately stopped growing with just the first pill. Second day the tingling phase stopped, they erupted, and by the end of the 2nd day they were drying out. I had to stop at the end of day 2 due to this medicine being too strong for my stomach. I ended up with a gastritis flare up, terrible stomach pain, diarrhea and nausea. If it wasn't for that, this medicine would get 10/10!"

VanessaBoo February 25, 2015

"I used to get cold sores four or five times a year, sometimes more often (especially when I was dealing with the stress of college). They would appear at the most frustrating times! I tried a bunch of alternative remedies, per the recommendations of friends and family, including L-lysine and tea tree oil. I even found myself putting nail polish remover on my lips (word to the wise: don't do that). Finally, I explained to a doctor how often I was getting outbreaks and how bad they were, and they prescribed 200mg of acyclovir a day as a suppressant. It didn't seem to do anything; the cold sores kept coming. Then, another doctor upped my dose to 400mg twice a day. I didn't get a cold sore for almost five years!"

CharlotteLinnae January 21, 2015

"I took acyclovir 400mg 5 times a day 4 hours after tingling. Completely gone in 2 days. But what is weird is it worked only one time, it never worked again. I have had ten more since the first time it worked. I did try it again on a few separate outbreaks it never even slowed it down."

Jare (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2014

"I started taking acyclovir 2 days ago and I Already feel better my outbreak is 90% clear and so far no side effects. I take 800mg 5 times a day for 7 days...O and I take it for having the shingles which is like herpes"

anonymous 327 (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2014

"I was prescribed this medication a few months ago and I absolutely love it. Whenever I feel a cold sore coming on, I take three 400mg tablets every 8 hours (the recommended dose by my doctor) and it stops the cold sore right in its tracks. If I'm lucky, I catch the cold sore in the tingling stage and immediently take the pills, and that usually stops the cold sore from breaking out. If I do end up getting a cold sore, I keep using the pills and it Speeds up the process and stops the cold sore from growing any bigger. This medication is amazing and I am so glad to finally have found something that actually works, as I am almost 20 years old and have been suffering from cold sores since age 4."

Candyy March 26, 2014

"I've experienced cold sores ever since i was 13 years old, but being a college student now and constantly stressed out ive been getting them more frequently. I tried everything from abreva, all the house remedies, and ointments, but none of them worked. So i got prescribed to the 400mg dose and these pills do wonders! I felt the bump yesterday and the first stage of the blister had started and i took the dosage i was prescribed and woke up today with the bump the same size. So i took another one and within two hours it was completely gone. I am so happy to have found something that finally works"

Liz730222 January 21, 2014

"I have been plagued by cold sores since I was 14 years old and have struggled at finding any effective medication, including Abreva. A year ago I could feel an outbreak coming and did some research online and found acyclovir. I read the reviews and figured I'd try it. Within 24 hours my forming cold sore stopped and began to heal and shrink, within 3 days it was almost non existent. Yesterday I woke up and realized over night with no notice a huge sore had formed and the virus was on full unrestricted attack. Went out, got Acyclovir and again, within 24hours what was bound to be a huge long drawn out cold sore had stopped, shrunk and began healing. Acyclovir with Abreva has proved to be a miracle. TRY IT! P.S No side effects for me."

Unavailablee January 9, 2014

"I have been on the medicine for almost 2 years now and I have only had 3 outbreaks so far, don't know what causes them but I start taking my meds 3 times a day with an outbreak and hope it works."

hopeful 1 April 16, 2013

"I woke up early in the morning and felt the tingle of a new cold sore. I went to the doc and got a prescription within the hour and took my first 400 mg pill of acyclovir. I used Abreva right when I felt it and a few times that night. I took 3 pills over the course of the first day. When I woke up the next morning the bump had not gotten bigger but had not gotten smaller either. It was hardly noticeable I should add. I took 3 more pills over the course of the second day and the bump has not grown any bigger. I woke up the 3rd morning and it has shrunk in size. I encourage everyone to get a large stock of acyclovir and take it IMMEDIATELY when the tingle is felt. Even if it is just maybe a cold sore. It is totally worth it."

Occasional (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2013

"I used to get Cold Sores rarely, but more stress & it's been a nightmare! On top of that I kept missing work whenever I got breakouts (for a week at a time) because I'm a Spokemodel. I started to get desperate, because I couldn't be reliable for work & started losing huge amounts of my income. Plus Cold Sores are a major bummer to go through. Finally talked to my Dr. I've been taking only 200mg a day. Then a few days ago, I took a chance and tanned my face & whammo I started getting a breakout. As soon as it came on I dosed up the Acyclovir and iced it for 2hrs. This stopped the sore in it's tracks. It disappeared completely and I am cold sore free! I can't tell you how relieved I am at how well this medicine works!"

ocsunshine (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2012

"I have been taking Acyclovir for almost 2 years now. I believe it to work because I've only had 1 outbreak in the 2 years. I was given the option to take 200mg every 4 hours. (equals 5 a day) for 5 days when an outbreak occurs or to take everyday but I have only taken for the 1 outbreak."

SmittyE (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 12, 2012

"If you get a cold sore outbreak in your mouth. Don't walk, RUN to the nearest medical practitioner that can give you a prescription of Acyclovir. Usually an outbreak would last me 3 weeks with just using over the counter creams. With the medication, my mouth was back to normal after 4 days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2012

Zovirax (acyclovir): "Zovirax is my first choice for treatment of cold sores which I've had since I was a young girl. Using it in conjunction with Abreva helps promote healing from within the sores; and eliminates the crusty/scabbing that comes with cold sores. Abreva is best used at the first sign of any itching (that familiar feeling of onset) apply as directed on the bottle, and your cold sore will be gone without anyone noticing you even have one. I am just getting over one and with Abreva alone it took three days, no scabbing or crusty formation making it unsightly and causing embarrassment."

Anonymous December 11, 2011