User Reviews for Zovirax

Learn more about Zovirax.

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome 0 reviews 10 medications Not rated - Be the first

Reviews for Zovirax

Review by wayney (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Herpes Zoster: I've had shingles a total of 6 times because I am immuno-compromised. Each time it was the same area of my back and wrapping around my side to my stomach. I do not recall the first few outbreaks as it was during a time I was so ill that I am basically missing a few months of my life because I was not alert at all during that time. I do recall the last 4 outbreaks. One of the doctors and I have a theory about why I did not notice the burning, itching etc that tends to be very painful and annoying for most people. The meds I am already on. I take pain meds around the clock already as well as taking gabapentin which helps nerve pain. Now on 200mg/day to prevent recurrence. I don't seem to have any issues with medication taken daily.

July 19, 2012 12:27 PM

For Herpes Simplex: Zovirax is my first choice for treatment of cold sores which I've had since I was a young girl. Using it in conjunction with Abreva helps promote healing from within the sores; and eliminates the crusty/scabbing that comes with cold sores. Abreva is best used at the first sign of any itching (that familiar feeling of onset) apply as directed on the bottle, and your cold sore will be gone without anyone noticing you even have one. I am just getting over one and with Abreva alone it took three days, no scabbing or crusty formation making it unsightly and causing embarrassment.

December 11, 2011 7:29 PM

For Herpes Simplex: I used to have cold sores all the time when I was a child, either when exposed to too much cold or when exposed to too much heat. Finally, I found a doctor who gave me a prescription (just a few years ago, I'm already an adult) and the Doctor prescribed Zovirax 200 mg 5x a day for 5 days. When I am able to take the medicine as soon as I feel the blister forming, the blister will only last for a day; it will grow and then burst and crust over within twenty four hours, so I've never really had to take the medication for more than 2-3 days. Very thankful for this medicine.

November 4, 2011 7:47 AM

For Herpes Simplex: I had my first outbreak over a year ago, been taking 400mg a day and haven't had an outbreak since.

January 6, 2011 1:31 PM

Review by larryfine:

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: I have had a cold sore outbreak 1-2 x/year for last 15 years usually during summer months (lower lip). I had previously tried medicated lip applicators with little success. A friend suggested Zovirax. I use it now at the first sign of tingling or hardness in the lip. When I catch it early the severity of the outbreak has been greatly diminished. I only use for 2 days and the sore has usually healed in about 10 days to 2 weeks.

August 14, 2010 6:17 PM

Review by T.D.:

For Herpes Simplex: Been on Zovirax for 15 years. It barely worked when I started using it for genital outbreaks, absolutely does not work now. Three prescriptions of 800mg x 3 times per day has not slowed down or even put a dent in a 4 month long outbreak.

July 17, 2009 11:43 AM

Review by fgrtyyh:

For Herpes Zoster: I've used a limited dose every other day for 9 years with no outbreaks.

March 11, 2009 2:00 PM

For Herpes Simplex: I been taking this medication for about a week and can still feel some pain but other then that it's works really well. I been taking 400 mg three times a day.

February 21, 2009 1:38 PM

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: 400mgs twice a day will stop an outbreak. The itching will usually stop within 12 hours after the first dose. I have not had to take it for more than two days. I have not experienced side effects from this medication.

January 25, 2009 1:51 PM

Review by Nonameslefttopick:

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: If you take just one pill when you begin to feel a tingle, you won't actually get a cold sore/fever blister. It's seriously amazing! I wish I had known about this sooner. I will get a cold sore if I travel a lot or if I have any minor trauma on or around my nose/mouth. One pill when I feel it coming on stops them from forming, but you have to catch it before the blister develops. Keep taking the pill until the tingling goes away. I've never had to take more than 1 pill per occurance.

August 8, 2008 10:25 PM

Review by jlsAL:

For Herpes Simplex: I have been taking zovirax for over 12 years, 400 mg each night at bedtime. I have only had a few outbreaks, caused by kissing my husband who had outbreaks. On doctor's orders, I am to increase to 800 mg each night at bedtime when I do have an outbreak, or when I'm not feeling well. Other virus' can set off a cold sore attack.

July 25, 2008 10:41 PM

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: Been taking for 3-4 years with no side effects whatsoever.

June 5, 2008 1:55 AM