User Reviews for Valtrex

Learn more about Valtrex.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 3 reviews 3 medications

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome 0 reviews 10 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Valtrex reviews 122 reviews 9.4

Reviews for Valtrex

Review by Barbobaby (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Cold Sores: I take Valtrex on a semi-regular basis to help my immune system. For example, I take one per day plus vitamin D and never get a cold sore. I did this for six months so I wouldn't have one at my daughters wedding! They always appear when I am stressed or in the sun. I still take them a few times a week and use an SPF sunscreen everyday which helps a lot. It can be expensive but I will pay anything if it works, forget the over counter stuff.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2015 2:00 PM

Review by TrexTaker (taken for less than 1 month):

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: So after reading these reviews, I feel a little better about taking Valtrex. I just took my first 500mg dose for HSV1 that has been recurring in my nose over the last 2 years (thank you nose piercer). I read that it has the potential to travel up into my sinuses and in rare cases can cause fatal outbreaks in the brain. I can't tell you the kind of depression I fell into after I read that... It was all I could think about for weeks until I could get in to the doctor. I'm hoping it works as well for me as it seems to for all of you. Fingers crossed.

January 19, 2015 7:03 AM

Review by Grateful4Generic:

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: I find remarkable, quantifiable relief within 24 hours when using the 1G pill. It takes a few days for complete return to normal but 99% of symptoms are gone within 24 hours in my otherwise healthy body.

January 7, 2015 9:10 PM

For Cold Sores: Nothing better than this for stopping cold sores dead.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2015 12:35 PM

Review by Briana duo:

For Cold Sores: I took this at the very first tingling feeling that told me a cold sore was forming. I've been taking 2 pills a day for 2 days now and my cold sore is not even visible. There is little to no irritation (with the help of some cream) and no redness or blistering. Best treatment I've ever used on my cold sores!!

January 4, 2015 6:48 PM

Review by Not sure yet:

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: I've been on Valtrex as suppression therapy for two months. After first contracting HSV2 I was getting outbreak upon outbreak with no break. It has significantly reduced my outbreaks but I am still getting them and presently not much relief. My doctor thinks it may take more time for the medication to work. But I did notice a review where this person upped their dosage while in outbreak. Will try this and see.

January 3, 2015 2:30 AM

Review by ABCDEFGHIJKLMON (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: Contracted genital HSV a few years ago, and put up with the outbreaks for a while (mostly in denial of everything) hoping they would just go away. After multiple tests coming back negative (even tests from an uncrusted sore), I finally saw the right Dr., and finally showed positive. Dr. put me on Valtrex and I never looked back. No outbreaks since, and no noticeable side effects. Anyone with HSV knows of the stigma and fear of having to live with this. Valtrex is a lifesaver!!!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 2, 2015 9:15 AM

Review by mb979877989:

For Cold Sores: I used to get cold sores frequently and have become so anxious about getting them that I keep a script for Valtrex in my wallet. After three years being cold sore free, I felt the burn and saw a patch of redness on my top lip. I immediately went to the pharmacy, filled the script and took my first gram of Valtrex within an hour of the first tingling/burning. I went to bed and woke up perfectly fine [and took the second dosage nonetheless]. I have no cold sore, no redness, nothing. I can't begin to tell you how much of a relief it was to wake up without that horrible throbbing swollen blister. I so highly recommend this. I can't imagine being without it now.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2014 5:59 PM

For Cold Sores: I've struggled my whole life with cold sores. Having this horrible problem since I was 2 years old I've been through almost every treatment for them. I've discovered for me it's always either stress, dramatic change in weather, ranch dressing, or sun/tanning bed that make them appear. Valtrex helps so much! I take four in the morning and four at night for only one day and it works amazing. I also use Viroxyn. It's magical too. These two are the only thing that seem to help mine!

December 15, 2014 6:48 PM

Review by steph.s.1986:

For Cold Sores: I get cold sores maybe once or twice a year. I keep valtrex on hand and if I take it quick enough when I have the feeling one is coming on, it won't even appear, if I wake up and I have the tingly feeling on my lip and I take it, it will reduce it significantly.when you feel the tingling make sure you take the full dose not just one. Also the cold sore healing patches by polysporin are amazing! If you get a full out cold sore and put these on It will shrink it almost down to nothing.

December 10, 2014 9:33 PM

Review by shashway:

For Varicella-Zoster: Its awesome .... Lessened my problems upto 70℅

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2014 1:04 PM

Review by Sayruhh:

For Cold Sores: I ALWAYS get cold sores every time I get sick, so this morning when I woke up (after being sick all night) I noticed a little bump. I was so upset, I got so tired of cold sores. Every time I get them, they are huge and awful looking. So, I went to the doctor for the first time about my cold sores, and was prescribed Valtrex and I was only given 4 pills, and it was instructed to take all 4 pills in one day, I was a bit disappointed in that, though. I took all 4, and went to bed. Usually by the next morning (without medication) the cold sore gets bigger, but this time it didnt! I still had a small bump, but it would have been worse without the medication. From someone who suffers from bad cold sores, I am SO happy with this medicine!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2014 12:31 PM

Review by VNParker (taken for 10 years or more):

For Cold Sores: I'd suffered quite a few breakouts of cold sore before discovering Valtrex so I know the pain and the lengthy healing process all too well. This literally stops cold sore in its track the moment you take it. Whatever condition the cold sore is in when you take the medicine, it would not get worse, only better so the sooner the better. If you take it AFTER the cold sore has become blister(s), it will stop the blister from multiplying BUT you would have to deal with the blisters bursting exposing the ulcer and then the healing of the ulcer. If you take it at the tingling/itchy stage of the cold sore BEFORE any blister is formed, you should be able to get away with the break out altogether. Goodluck!

November 13, 2014 4:20 PM

Review by Khen689:

For Cold Sores: I can't say enough good things about it. The difference between my fever blisters with and without the pill is truly like night and day. I started taking 1 pill as soon as I see a bump or feel tingling and the symptoms are reduced by >60%. Definitely worth going to a doctor to get a prescription!

November 7, 2014 10:44 PM

For Cold Sores: Fantastic

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2014 5:45 AM

Review by Candice Walter:

For Cold Sores: This medicine is a miracle. Sore clears up within 3 days and faster when I take as soon as I see on-set of sore. I take 2-500mg on first dose and one as directed. Do not hesitate having these on hand in case a flare up occurs. Unbelievable and I pass this info on to others I know and they are so grateful.

October 16, 2014 11:00 PM

Review by jujujuju:

For Cold Sores: It certainly keeps it from being worse but still doesn't nip it totally in the bud no matter how soon you take it. I'm grateful this last bout didn't end up on the skin, but even though I took it within minutes of feeling just the tingling, it still sprouted. Could have been worse I guess. I am thankful I had it in stock.

September 7, 2014 1:57 AM

Review by JetBlackSteel (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Cold Sores: I have been getting cold sores since I was in the 6th grade. Unfortunately I am a special case, I have NEVER had one on my lip! They always appear either on my chin or my nose. Its awful, especially on the nose. I am giving this a 7 due to the fact its no longer reducing the size of my breakouts anymore even with the topical cream. It only seems to reduce the healing period. Which isn't that great when I get one on my nose (yes you guessed it, its the tip) and I end up looking like a clown. I even got three breakouts in just this past March! Its definitely not working like it used to and I am only 19 so I am now fearful for the years to come. I'm hoping it was just a little expired and will be going back to the doctor for a refill.

July 29, 2014 6:26 AM

Review by 2it4me:

For Cold Sores: I've been getting cold sores since I was 10yrs old and they get really bad. As I've gotten older they only occur once a year if I'm really stressed, not getting enough rest and not eating right. Talk about embarrasing it spreads across my entire upper lip then the crust and scab process is awful and unsightly mines usually last about 3 weeks..Sucks in a major way!! Went to the MD in the middle of this out break because is was spreading and I was totally depressed she prescribed Valtrex every 8 hours for seven days I've taken two so far and the blisters stopped forming wish I would have taken it at the first sign. I'm impressed with this medication I will be monitoring to see if it helps with healing and pain.

July 25, 2014 11:40 AM

Review by Chickapowpiw (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cold Sores: This stuff works better than anything else. Don't waste your time with all the OTC stuff. After I started Valtrex my cold sore was gone in two days

July 21, 2014 6:11 PM

Review by Tim1122:

For Cold Sores: Got this prescription about 2 months ago, just in case I felt a cold sore coming on. We'll this morning I finally got to try it, and as far as I can tell it seems to be working as well as past reviewers have posted. I felt it getting itchy for a couple hours (I always have an itchy nose so I just monitored it). I went to the bathroom at work about 2.5 hrs after feeling initial itching and noticed it turning red.. (my cold sores come around the lower part of my nostril and partially inside my nose). I took 2 pills and after about 30 mins the itching and slight throbbing went away. Its now been 11 hrs since I took the first 2 pills and the redness does seem to be retreating (but time will tell, different lighting in my home than my work).

June 4, 2014 6:54 PM

Review by RM2014:

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: I had eczema on the skin accompanied by fever and joint pain for the first time last year and was diagnosed HSV2 by IgG positive test. I took Valtrex for two and a half month and the following IgG test was negative. I repeated the test three month later, still IgG negative. My doctor does not know why. I would suggest those that have been taking Valtrex for a longer time (at least some months) right from the first outbreak to take a new IgG test. Maybe the Valtrex period of some months assists in the body reducing the number of virus through repeated life cycles such that it does not cause IgG antibodies. I like to add that the HSV1, which I had since long, gave positive IgG response in all three IgG tests.

April 21, 2014 10:02 AM

Review by hsvguy:

For Cold Sores: Valtrex is truly the only cold sore medication that will act fast and diminish your pain and blisters within days You will start feeling relief in hours. No other cold sore medication can compete. The only downside is you have to get a prescription for it. Depending on your insurance it could be fair to pricey. If you are like me and suffer from HSV 1 & 2 ask your doctor for 30-60 tablets. Most doctors will only prescribe the recommended dosage for treatment. (5 tablets) with 1 refill. It's such a pain having to go back to doctors when you have a simple outbreak. This will ensure a good supply for whenever you might need it. Always works FASTEST when taken at first sign of sore.

March 11, 2014 3:56 AM

For Cold Sores: I've had HSV1 ever since I was 2. I had an outbreak then and again when I was 9 or 10. I'd forgotten that I even had the virus until a week ago. I got a new lip piercing and 3 days into the healing, my lip blistered. It had been 25 years since my last cold sore but I remembered what those blisters meant. I wasn't able to get to the doctor until two days later. By then, the blisters had broken open and were all crusted over. I took 2 of the Valtrex as soon as I got them and another 2, 12 hours later. Within a few hours the pain started going away. The terrible burning was gone. It's been 2 days since my last dose and my cold sore is in it's final healing stage. With the little scabs. My lip is flat again & the only pain is from the piercing.

February 24, 2014 1:12 PM

Review by Regina222:

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: I was diagnosed with HSV2, three years ago. I've never had an outbreak but my gyno prescribed Valtrex as suppressive therapy.

February 10, 2014 3:57 AM