Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Valtrex

Learn more about Valtrex.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 3 reviews 3 medications

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: Works

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2015 3:32 AM

Review by Jobby (taken for 10 years or more):

For Cold Sores: Best cold sore treatment ever! About as close to a cure as you get!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2015 10:40 PM

Review by Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:

For Herpes Zoster: I started taking Valtrex 2 days after the rash appeared, it slowed down the spread of the rash and reduced the pain. 3 days later I was feeling better but the rash took about 10 days to disappear andIi continued feeling mild pain for another week or so.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2015 6:20 PM

Review by Khatti:

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: Suffered for years until I found out about this medication online. Take it everyday and reduced outbreaks considerably. Since having kidney stones and being required to drink at least 2.5 litres of liquid, mostly water,and no soda/ coke etc. Have been TOTALLY free! Drink more water and your whole system functions better.

March 4, 2015 1:30 AM

Review by Shoegirl0531 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Cold Sores: Valtrex is the only way to go. I have suffered with fever blisters as long as I can remember and they are just miserable. I get them when I run fever, sunburn on my lips, or are really stressed. Woke up with one this morning...I took Valtrex, and it will be gone by nightfall. My son also has problems with fever blisters, but they break out underneath his eye. Since he has been taking Valtrex, he has not had any problems. I also had the Shingles vaccine, which has cut down on my fever blister outbreaks unbelievably. I still get them, but usually as a result of illness. This is the best medication to come out to fight the herpes virus, ever!

February 19, 2015 10:31 AM

Review by 52yearOld (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cold Sores: Awesome results. I rarely have cold sores. Roughly one every 2-3 years. Never have had ANY relief from various home remedies or OTC solutions. Cold sore forms in the same place on the upper lip just below my mustache which can be confused in the initial stages with an ingrown hair/pimple. Difference being that hair doesn't form on the lips! Ha. Outbreak swells quickly within 2 days to a nickel sized dimension with an actual open sore (yellow/white) 1/3 the size. I took 2 doses of 2mg 12 hours apart after swelling had started. A small yellow outline was already forming under the skin of the lip and I thought I was going to have another 2 week episode. Woke up this morning and the swelling was down and yellow gone! Really amazing!

February 1, 2015 10:49 AM

Review by Barbobaby (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Cold Sores: I take Valtrex on a semi-regular basis to help my immune system. For example, I take one per day plus vitamin D and never get a cold sore. I did this for six months so I wouldn't have one at my daughters wedding! They always appear when I am stressed or in the sun. I still take them a few times a week and use an SPF sunscreen everyday which helps a lot. It can be expensive but I will pay anything if it works, forget the over counter stuff.

January 19, 2015 2:00 PM

Review by TrexTaker (taken for less than 1 month):

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: So after reading these reviews, I feel a little better about taking Valtrex. I just took my first 500mg dose for HSV1 that has been recurring in my nose over the last 2 years (thank you nose piercer). I read that it has the potential to travel up into my sinuses and in rare cases can cause fatal outbreaks in the brain. I can't tell you the kind of depression I fell into after I read that... It was all I could think about for weeks until I could get in to the doctor. I'm hoping it works as well for me as it seems to for all of you. Fingers crossed.

January 19, 2015 7:03 AM

Review by Grateful4Generic:

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: I find remarkable, quantifiable relief within 24 hours when using the 1G pill. It takes a few days for complete return to normal but 99% of symptoms are gone within 24 hours in my otherwise healthy body.

January 7, 2015 9:10 PM

For Cold Sores: Nothing better than this for stopping cold sores dead.

January 7, 2015 12:35 PM

Review by stephcanada:

For Cold Sores: I've been getting cold sores for a while now and before Valtrex, none of the creams would help and I wouldn't notice a difference. Now when I feel a little bump I take Valtrex right away, 4 pills asap then another 4 a few hours later. If I catch it early enough it won't go past the little bump and will be cleared up by the next day. If I catch it a little too late (sometimes they like to show up while I'm sleeping). I still take Valtrex and I will get the outbreak but no swelling, blister. Still clears in 3 days. I also use polysporin patches. This stuff is the closest thing to a cure right now. My doctor says take 1 pill a day around the times of the year I usually get them and sometimes I can go a year or year and a half without one.

January 5, 2015 12:16 AM

Review by Briana duo:

For Cold Sores: I took this at the very first tingling feeling that told me a cold sore was forming. I've been taking 2 pills a day for 2 days now and my cold sore is not even visible. There is little to no irritation (with the help of some cream) and no redness or blistering. Best treatment I've ever used on my cold sores!!

January 4, 2015 6:48 PM

Review by Not sure yet:

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: I've been on Valtrex as suppression therapy for two months. After first contracting HSV2 I was getting outbreak upon outbreak with no break. It has significantly reduced my outbreaks but I am still getting them and presently not much relief. My doctor thinks it may take more time for the medication to work. But I did notice a review where this person upped their dosage while in outbreak. Will try this and see.

January 3, 2015 2:30 AM

Review by ABCDEFGHIJKLMON (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: Contracted genital HSV a few years ago, and put up with the outbreaks for a while (mostly in denial of everything) hoping they would just go away. After multiple tests coming back negative (even tests from an uncrusted sore), I finally saw the right Dr., and finally showed positive. Dr. put me on Valtrex and I never looked back. No outbreaks since, and no noticeable side effects. Anyone with HSV knows of the stigma and fear of having to live with this. Valtrex is a lifesaver!!!

January 2, 2015 9:15 AM

Review by Io86:

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: I have had herpes since 10 years old or so. I didnt know then that there was a medicine for this. I have had outbreaks during whole of my life until I was 26 and googled the medicine for herpes. I doctor prescribed me Valtrex after this and its the best medicine I have ever taken (accept antibiotics). This was life changing for me and the best option. I don't take it daily though. Whenever I feel that an outbreak is coming I take 2x500 mg and the herpes disappears in a few hours. Thanking the chemists that found this this. Happy new years!

December 31, 2014 8:01 AM

Review by mb979877989:

For Cold Sores: I used to get cold sores frequently and have become so anxious about getting them that I keep a script for Valtrex in my wallet. After three years being cold sore free, I felt the burn and saw a patch of redness on my top lip. I immediately went to the pharmacy, filled the script and took my first gram of Valtrex within an hour of the first tingling/burning. I went to bed and woke up perfectly fine [and took the second dosage nonetheless]. I have no cold sore, no redness, nothing. I can't begin to tell you how much of a relief it was to wake up without that horrible throbbing swollen blister. I so highly recommend this. I can't imagine being without it now.

December 29, 2014 5:59 PM

Review by RedHeadedMatt:

For Cold Sores: Had one of those tricky cold sores where there is no tingling or burning, it just up and shows up out of no where. Showed up as a single blister around 10pm and I knew there was nothing I could do except ice it until the morning. Continued to ice all night in the hopes that it would not get worse and went to the doctor first thing in the morning. Took 2 pills in the morning and 2 pills at night and it is essentially gone, two days later. Never broke open, never crusted. Just kinda disappeared, all because of this little miracle pill. Definitely worth going to the doctor for - hopefully one day it will be available OTC!

December 29, 2014 10:16 AM

Review by Jennifer g.:

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompetent Host: I recently went to the doctor after seeing a small bump on my vagina. I was so freaked out because it hurt and burned when I used the restroom. I was so nervous going in and embarrassed. I looked online and thought the worst. As soon as my doctor seen it she said it was herpes. I thought it was the end of the world I fainted and thought I was going to die. But she explained that about 85 percent of people have it. There are two types. Type 1 and 2. Type 1 being from the waist and above. And type 2 being anything below the waist. Herpes can be treated and it's not HIV or aids so don't freak out.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2014 4:13 PM

For Cold Sores: I've struggled my whole life with cold sores. Having this horrible problem since I was 2 years old I've been through almost every treatment for them. I've discovered for me it's always either stress, dramatic change in weather, ranch dressing, or sun/tanning bed that make them appear. Valtrex helps so much! I take four in the morning and four at night for only one day and it works amazing. I also use Viroxyn. It's magical too. These two are the only thing that seem to help mine!

December 15, 2014 6:48 PM

Review by steph.s.1986:

For Cold Sores: I get cold sores maybe once or twice a year. I keep valtrex on hand and if I take it quick enough when I have the feeling one is coming on, it won't even appear, if I wake up and I have the tingly feeling on my lip and I take it, it will reduce it significantly.when you feel the tingling make sure you take the full dose not just one. Also the cold sore healing patches by polysporin are amazing! If you get a full out cold sore and put these on It will shrink it almost down to nothing.

December 10, 2014 9:33 PM

Review by shashway:

For Varicella-Zoster: Its awesome .... Lessened my problems upto 70℅

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2014 1:04 PM

Review by Sayruhh:

For Cold Sores: I ALWAYS get cold sores every time I get sick, so this morning when I woke up (after being sick all night) I noticed a little bump. I was so upset, I got so tired of cold sores. Every time I get them, they are huge and awful looking. So, I went to the doctor for the first time about my cold sores, and was prescribed Valtrex and I was only given 4 pills, and it was instructed to take all 4 pills in one day, I was a bit disappointed in that, though. I took all 4, and went to bed. Usually by the next morning (without medication) the cold sore gets bigger, but this time it didnt! I still had a small bump, but it would have been worse without the medication. From someone who suffers from bad cold sores, I am SO happy with this medicine!

November 30, 2014 12:31 PM

Review by VNParker (taken for 10 years or more):

For Cold Sores: I'd suffered quite a few breakouts of cold sore before discovering Valtrex so I know the pain and the lengthy healing process all too well. This literally stops cold sore in its track the moment you take it. Whatever condition the cold sore is in when you take the medicine, it would not get worse, only better so the sooner the better. If you take it AFTER the cold sore has become blister(s), it will stop the blister from multiplying BUT you would have to deal with the blisters bursting exposing the ulcer and then the healing of the ulcer. If you take it at the tingling/itchy stage of the cold sore BEFORE any blister is formed, you should be able to get away with the break out altogether. Goodluck!

November 13, 2014 4:20 PM

Review by Khen689:

For Cold Sores: I can't say enough good things about it. The difference between my fever blisters with and without the pill is truly like night and day. I started taking 1 pill as soon as I see a bump or feel tingling and the symptoms are reduced by >60%. Definitely worth going to a doctor to get a prescription!

November 7, 2014 10:44 PM