User Reviews for Valtrex

Learn more about Valtrex.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 3 reviews 3 medications

8.1
Cytomegalovirus Infection 1 reviews 4 medications

Summary of Valtrex reviews 180 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Valtrex

For Cold Sores "First time I used valtrex, I thaught I was done or almost done with cold sores, it healed up so fast I was really glad something was finally helping me for real. Abreva and all the other stuff don't really work, I'd even say abreva makes it worst. But in the last 5 months I had 2 cold sores unfortunatley, both time I took valtrex as soon as I felt a little tickling. No matter what, both time I woke up with a full blister and bigger. So people saying it stops it right in its track are wrong. But it does help for the healing time. In 5 days its gone. Still better then the 7-9 days i used to go through before. Can't wait till they find a real ''cure'' or at least something that kills the virus for real as soon as you take it."

Mary-Lise (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2016

For Herpes Zoster "Discovered rash on a Thursday, prescribed Valtrex on a Friday. Woke up Saturday and rash was still spreading but stopped by that night and began to dry up by Tuesday- no blisters ever formed and itching/pain was very minimal! Side effects only the first day or so, but not positive it was from Valtrex- the sickness/headaches I felt could've easily been from my anxiety. By the third day, any side effects subsided completely and had no issues finishing the medication. After reading stories of shingles sufferers who did not take anti-virals, I am so happy my doctor prescribed this medication. Also, a suggestion, Burow's solution (sold as Domeboro in most pharmacies) helped soothe and dry up my rash quickly! Keep your head up! :)"

Willla (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I am 44. Had a 1st outbreak (genital) after having an UTI. It was a minor outbreak. Sm patch of raw skin and looked like one lesion. It never spread or got worse. I had never had any sort of outbreak ever oral or genital. So, I don't know if I already had it or my partner if 1.5yrs triggered an outbrk or whether it was dormant all this time and getting sick brought it out. I got blood & cult done for hsv 1 and 2 -3wks later but the patch was about 90% healed already w/ no meds but was still prescribed (the generic Valtrex) 1000mg 2x a day for 5 days. Ive been off the meds for 2 days now. I need to see if I get another outbreak B4 just taking meds daily. I had no side effects as I drank water like crazy as it said to do. I'm hoping for the best"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I took valtrex for about 3 years. I was having terrible side effects after about a year 1/2.. but I did not want an outbreak so I kept taking them. I felt like total crap almost everyday for months. one day and realized I was out of my script and had to call doc for my yearly refill. I stopped taking them! I am a completely different person off of the pills. I no longer feel depressed. I was having all the side effects. I had a dull ache in the right side of my body that radiated form my hip to my breast. A week after stopping the pills all my symptoms were gone and pain in my side gone. I think back to a few weeks ago and never want to wake up eveyday feeling the way I did.i will deal with outbreaks. No more valtrex."

Seriouslyfedup (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I've been using Valtrex for suppression and have not had an outbreak in 1.5 years using it. It's a life saver. Hoping to take it daily for the rest of my life. If anyone has been taking it daily for suppression please chime in, I wanted to know if it has effected anyone in a bad way. I did read one review where someone was using it daily as a suppression for 14 years and it worked and he didn't have an outbreak once but he ended getting allergic reaction and had to stop using it. What a bummer! But yes Valtrex is a life saver."

Johnganonyy April 25, 2016

For Cold Sores "After being sick with bronchitis and upper respiratory infection for about 2 weeks, I woke up one morning with cold sores overtaking my whole top lip. I've always taken Lysine and that helps cut back on the length of time for healing when I just have one cold sore. This time, the swelling and pain of having multiple cold sores was just too much to handle. I phoned my dr. and explained that my top lip was so swollen and that eating and drink had become painful. Dr. called in a prescription of 2 a day Valtrex. I took the first one yesterday around noon, by 6 pm the swelling and pain had already gone down. This morning I woke up and while the blisters are still there, it's like it reversed all the sores. No pain or swelling. Just healing!!"

Ibellah80 April 7, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "Had my first outbreak about two weeks ago, it was excruciatingly painful. Couldn't urinate without being In the bath tub or running water over the sores....this outbreak had been going on for a whole two weeks almost so I went to my doctor and she prescribed me valtrex 500mg 2x a day. By the second day of taking the medication the burning while urinating went away. I am now on day 6 and the sores are almost all gone, I have maybe one left but there's little to no feeling in it. This was my first outbreak and I just turned 21, it flared up right after I got the flu and had a high fever. Apparently hsv can stay dormant in your body for some time until your immune system is shot...but I'm finally feeling normal again and the meds for sure work"

MaryMaria57 March 20, 2016

For Cold Sores "Until about age 56, had never had cold sore. Suddenly had spot on butt, went to clinic, PA thought it was spider bite, antibodies given, no relief. The next time it occurred (same spot), got in to see dermatologist immediately. He stated it was a form of chicken pox virus (not sexual related). Gave Valtrex, worked great. Pharmacist also recommending taking L-LySyine daily to help prevent occurrences. Used to have only 2 occurrences a year - February and August -my work stress months. Have not had any more occurrences."

Overstressed (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 16, 2016

For Cold Sores "I have suffered with getting cold sores since I was a kid never bothered me until a few years ago i began getting them as soon as one would heal another would form. So I talked to my DR. and he prescribed Valtrex. It was amazing as soon as you get the tingle of the cold sore take Valtrex and the cold sore raises a little but the blister never forms. I can not say enough about how it also has changed on the frequency as to how often i get them now. maybe every 6 months to a year between outbreaks."

Doublea70 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2016

For Cold Sores "You guys, this medication deserves some kind of award. I have this random patch of HSV 1 on my eyebrow. It flares up a couple times a year. Previously, I have been prescribed acyclovir for breakouts. I wasn't too convinced it really did anything at all, but maybe it reduced my breakout time by half a day. This time, I happened to have a doctor's appointment that fell on day 3 of a breakout, so I mentioned that I wanted some acyclovir to help. My doctor said that was an older medication, and Valtrex was newer and better, so he gave me that. WITHIN 24 HOURS THE BLISTERS ARE NO LONGER BLISTERS AT ALL AND I AM HEALING. They did not burst, they just totally regressed. I took 2 2g pills twice a day for one day. This is a miracle drug. 10/10"

Doc2be (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I am going to turn 70 yrs old in March , I have had HSV for 42 yrs. I take the 500mg dose as soon as I know its going to start up and if I neglect taking it for whatever reason it flares up , one of the things that I noticed that is sure to get it going is Sun bathing . I have become a vegan and live a very healthy life style which really helps the immune system."

rpww (taken for 10 years or more) February 22, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I was getting frequent outbreaks and was very miserable. I felt I would never be normal again. Started this treatment and it improved my daily and intimate life by a milestone. Maybe get a little thing or two in a year and very possibly not. If so its quickly resolved with these meds..I reccomend it. Give yourself and love a chance. I am still very worthy and so are you. There is a huge and scary stigma about it but you are still normal and so am I. Its a small complication we have to deal with until God provides a cure. In the meantime take care of yourself and your partner. Be careful and safe. But don't underestimate your worth like I did. Try this treatment."

contentandaccepted February 19, 2016

For Cold Sores "I've had cold sores since I was 8. I would get them every 2 months and they would last about 2 weeks before they were completely gone. My dentist prescribed me valtrex. If I take it at the first hour of feeling a cold sore coming on it works great. I don't get the little blisters that form on the lip, just feels a little swollen. It goes away after 3 days. Unfortunately it doesn't work once the blisters have formed. So if you get a cold sore in the morning and only get home at 8pm to take the valtrex it won't work the same way. So I always have it in my purse just in case. Life saver."

Stavia (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 17, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "This is my first outbreak. I've been on it for 2 days now and I have no relief. The blisters down in my vagina are awful. I scared go drink anything, because I'm scared to go to the bathroom.. I hope I get some relief soon. When outbreak is gone I hope to do supressive treatment."

mariezy February 5, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "So woke up sunday morning with a little blister. Instantly took 4x500mg Valtrex. Unlike the rest of the users on the previous reviews, mine did get bigger and did multiply. It is now Tuesday. It didn't get as big as it would get without the valtrex but still up there and not scabbing yet. So its either I'm not lucky like the rest of the users or they are making it up."

JimmyJames1877 February 2, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "Such a great pill! I contracted HSV 2 when I was only 17 by my boyfriend that cheated on me. One week before my highschool graduation. I started taking it only when having outbreaks until shortly after I was having 3-4 a month. I was beyond depressed. My doctor told me about suppressive medicine taking it twice a day (500mg) and ever since then I have been clear of any sign of an outbreak. I'm going on month 5 with no symptoms. Makes me feel myself again! Remember ALWAYS USE PROTECTION!"

Hunter runner (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "As soon as you get your first outbreak you need to start taking this immediately. The outbreak will only get worse without it and last for weeks. My first outbreak was heart wrenching. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But once I started taking the medicine my symptoms rapidly improved. I probably get less than one outbreak a year but when I do have one I take this immediately and it knocks it right out."

crazydoglady84 January 21, 2016

For Cold Sores "I would get cold sores all the time so finally my doctor recommended valtrex. I only took it once and have not had a cold sore since! It's been a year!"

LissaB37 January 12, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I am pregnant and found out I had genital herpes on new years eve from my boyfriend giving me oral sex with a cold sore on his lip.it burned so bad when I went pee I had painful blisters and bumps and awful itching with a nasty discharge and swelling.obgyn gave me valtrex 1gm to take twice a day. On day one the painful swelling I had in my labias went down a lot. By day two the burning was gone and the big blisters went down until they were super small. The itching also got a lot better. Day 3 blisters and bumps scabbed over. It's now day four and all I had left is dried up tiny scabs over where two of the blisters were and they don't hurt at all. Bumps are gone. Basically my vagina looks and feels almost normal again."

much better (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I found out I had herpes simplex type 2 last year and never had a breakout until I got pregnant, my first breakout started about a week ago and my ob just prescribed me valtrex yesterday! I've started my dose and I'm praying it works because this is horrible !!"

Zandersmommy January 7, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I was unfortunately diagnosed in February 2015 with HSV-2 when I experienced my first outbreak. It was horrible and devastating. I continued to get outbreaks monthly until I had enough and finally went to my doctor in July of 2015. He put me on 1 gram dose of Valtrex daily and I have not had an outbreak since. This drug is a total life saver. Couldn't be happier with the results."

Military Chick (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

For Cold Sores "I had a terrible out break. My chin felt red and swollen. I had sores and pus really bad. As soon as it was healed I would break out again. This lasted for six months. I had been to my family doctor and several dermatologists, finally I met with a dermatologist who prescribed valtrex. What a life saver. With school starting again Monday I was stressing out . I could feel my chin start to swell and so I decided to get a refill and try it. It worked! Yesterday my chin felt swollen and sore and I was starting to get red bumps under my bottom lip. I took 2 in the afternoon and 2 more when I went to bed and this morning it seems to be gone! No swelling and no red bumps!! Thank you to who ever invented this miracle drug!!"

Vann38 January 2, 2016

For Cold Sores "Like so many others here, I've had cold sore outbreaks here and there since I was a little kid. It was Always a source of anxiety for me, either when I had one, or just worrying about when the next one was coming. I'm in my 30s now. About 2 years ago, I had my dentist call in a prescription when I had felt one coming on for a few hours ( the bump was forming ) not knowing what would happen. He called it in. I took my first dose within an hour. It never really formed, just stayed a bump for a half day or so and then flattened out and healed quickly. Since then I've always made sure to keep it on hand at home at my office. I've taken it several times since at the first signal and its been all clear. Cannot recommend enough!!"

ArtInAZ December 26, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "It has been a great suppressive medicine for Herpes 2. Would recommend highly. Hoping for a vaccine, but until then this is the next best thing."

TonyT71 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2015

For Cold Sores "This medicine is absolute magic! I only get a cold sore once a year like clock work. Always in Novemeber when the weather gets cold, and life gets hectic. I get it within the same week every year, I take this medicine as soon as I see it coming on and I get that tingle! Seriously within 1-2 days the cold sore is completely gone, looks a little red that's it can't even tell. Absolutely amazing would recommend to anyone!"

Kitbakes December 17, 2015