User Reviews for Valtrex

Learn more about Valtrex.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 3 reviews 3 medications

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome 0 reviews 10 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Valtrex reviews 107 reviews 9.4

Reviews for Valtrex

Review by Candice Walter:

For Cold Sores: This medicine is a miracle. Sore clears up within 3 days and faster when I take as soon as I see on-set of sore. I take 2-500mg on first dose and one as directed. Do not hesitate having these on hand in case a flare up occurs. Unbelievable and I pass this info on to others I know and they are so grateful.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2014 11:00 PM

Review by jujujuju:

For Cold Sores: It certainly keeps it from being worse but still doesn't nip it totally in the bud no matter how soon you take it. I'm grateful this last bout didn't end up on the skin, but even though I took it within minutes of feeling just the tingling, it still sprouted. Could have been worse I guess. I am thankful I had it in stock.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2014 1:57 AM

Review by JetBlackSteel (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Cold Sores: I have been getting cold sores since I was in the 6th grade. Unfortunately I am a special case, I have NEVER had one on my lip! They always appear either on my chin or my nose. Its awful, especially on the nose. I am giving this a 7 due to the fact its no longer reducing the size of my breakouts anymore even with the topical cream. It only seems to reduce the healing period. Which isn't that great when I get one on my nose (yes you guessed it, its the tip) and I end up looking like a clown. I even got three breakouts in just this past March! Its definitely not working like it used to and I am only 19 so I am now fearful for the years to come. I'm hoping it was just a little expired and will be going back to the doctor for a refill.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2014 6:26 AM

Review by 2it4me:

For Cold Sores: I've been getting cold sores since I was 10yrs old and they get really bad. As I've gotten older they only occur once a year if I'm really stressed, not getting enough rest and not eating right. Talk about embarrasing it spreads across my entire upper lip then the crust and scab process is awful and unsightly mines usually last about 3 weeks..Sucks in a major way!! Went to the MD in the middle of this out break because is was spreading and I was totally depressed she prescribed Valtrex every 8 hours for seven days I've taken two so far and the blisters stopped forming wish I would have taken it at the first sign. I'm impressed with this medication I will be monitoring to see if it helps with healing and pain.

July 25, 2014 11:40 AM

Review by Chickapowpiw (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cold Sores: This stuff works better than anything else. Don't waste your time with all the OTC stuff. After I started Valtrex my cold sore was gone in two days

July 21, 2014 6:11 PM

Review by Tim1122:

For Cold Sores: Got this prescription about 2 months ago, just in case I felt a cold sore coming on. We'll this morning I finally got to try it, and as far as I can tell it seems to be working as well as past reviewers have posted. I felt it getting itchy for a couple hours (I always have an itchy nose so I just monitored it). I went to the bathroom at work about 2.5 hrs after feeling initial itching and noticed it turning red.. (my cold sores come around the lower part of my nostril and partially inside my nose). I took 2 pills and after about 30 mins the itching and slight throbbing went away. Its now been 11 hrs since I took the first 2 pills and the redness does seem to be retreating (but time will tell, different lighting in my home than my work).

June 4, 2014 6:54 PM

Review by RM2014:

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: I had eczema on the skin accompanied by fever and joint pain for the first time last year and was diagnosed HSV2 by IgG positive test. I took Valtrex for two and a half month and the following IgG test was negative. I repeated the test three month later, still IgG negative. My doctor does not know why. I would suggest those that have been taking Valtrex for a longer time (at least some months) right from the first outbreak to take a new IgG test. Maybe the Valtrex period of some months assists in the body reducing the number of virus through repeated life cycles such that it does not cause IgG antibodies. I like to add that the HSV1, which I had since long, gave positive IgG response in all three IgG tests.

April 21, 2014 10:02 AM

Review by hsvguy:

For Cold Sores: Valtrex is truly the only cold sore medication that will act fast and diminish your pain and blisters within days You will start feeling relief in hours. No other cold sore medication can compete. The only downside is you have to get a prescription for it. Depending on your insurance it could be fair to pricey. If you are like me and suffer from HSV 1 & 2 ask your doctor for 30-60 tablets. Most doctors will only prescribe the recommended dosage for treatment. (5 tablets) with 1 refill. It's such a pain having to go back to doctors when you have a simple outbreak. This will ensure a good supply for whenever you might need it. Always works FASTEST when taken at first sign of sore.

March 11, 2014 3:56 AM

For Cold Sores: I've had HSV1 ever since I was 2. I had an outbreak then and again when I was 9 or 10. I'd forgotten that I even had the virus until a week ago. I got a new lip piercing and 3 days into the healing, my lip blistered. It had been 25 years since my last cold sore but I remembered what those blisters meant. I wasn't able to get to the doctor until two days later. By then, the blisters had broken open and were all crusted over. I took 2 of the Valtrex as soon as I got them and another 2, 12 hours later. Within a few hours the pain started going away. The terrible burning was gone. It's been 2 days since my last dose and my cold sore is in it's final healing stage. With the little scabs. My lip is flat again & the only pain is from the piercing.

February 24, 2014 1:12 PM

Review by Regina222:

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: I was diagnosed with HSV2, three years ago. I've never had an outbreak but my gyno prescribed Valtrex as suppressive therapy.

February 10, 2014 3:57 AM

Review by La Divo:

For Cold Sores: I got cold sores since I was kid. I'm 24 yrs old now and get them about 4 times a year due to stress or if I get sick or something. I got prescribed Valtrex 3 years ago and it has done wonders. Once I feel the tingling I would take a pill and literally the cold sore would stop in its tracks. Even if it starts to show a little such as a deep red I just take a Valtrex and it would stop and then I would get some make up and cover the redness and you wouldn't even be able to tell.

January 16, 2014 1:57 PM

Review by Understanding1:

For Cold Sores: I have gotten cold sores/fever blisters since I was a young boy. I too have tried it all. I find that taking a small amount of Lysine and eating a Lysine rich diet, low in arginine help to prevent them, but they inevitably come around. I just had a cold sore and it was a tricky one. Sometimes they don't start tingling until it has already swollen. Once I realized it was one, I had waited a full day too late, but I was still very impressed. Thirty minutes after taking one, the tingling stopped. The next morning it was half the size. I had two that day and by the third day it was gone. I have every hope that if I take it within an hour next time, it will stop it cold. Awesome.

January 13, 2014 6:01 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Cold Sores: I have had cold sores for my entire life. When I was a baby, I used to get them in and around my eyes, which was a terrifying experience for my parents, as I could have lost my sight. I was prescribed Valtrex after I had reached the beginning stages of puberty, and it is absolutely amazing! If you take it right when you feel the tingle, the cold sore will not even appear, and if you take it when the blisters have just formed, they will not worsen. And for those who have a fully formed monster cold sore, never fear! Valtrex will shorten the healing time drastically, for me about 3 days.

January 10, 2014 6:36 AM

Review by wortheverypenny:

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: Valtrex has been a lifesaver for me. I've had this virus for 12 years now and would suffer through monthly outbreaks that lasted almost until the next outbreak would occur. I started by taking 2 500 mg pills/day or 3 pills if I had an outbreak. Now I take 1 500 mg pill once every second day and have had only one very minor outbreak in the last 2 years. If I feel an outbreak coming on I up my dosage to 3 pills a day and the outbreak is stopped/prevented. Valtrex is worth the cost, it makes living with this condition manageable. In addition to Valtrex, I avoid what I've found to be triggers for me...my only regret is not starting on this medication sooner.

January 5, 2014 9:56 PM

Review by NoRainbow:

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompromised Host: I was infected with HSV 2 about two weeks ago in the genital area, pubic area to be exact. Only took 2 days before typical symptoms showed but I waited 4 days before going to the ER thinking the OB was folliculitis. I was prescribed Valtrex 1gm 2xs a day for ten days. After 2.5 days I noticed that the herpes stopped spreading and the pain was gone. After 5 days it was already healing/drying up. After 10 days it is almost completely healed/few scabs left. This drug is very effective but you have to take it on time every 12 hours or as instructed by your Dr. Side effects were fatigue, dry skin, dry eyes/ slight redness at times, mood swings, hives, and sleeplessness.

November 11, 2013 3:56 PM

Review by Fantastic medicine:

For Cold Sores: I was in school around 8:00 and started to feel a tingling sensation, by 10:00 I knew it was a cold sore. I had basketball practice after school until 7:30 so I couldn't use it as soon as I felt it. When I got home I took one pill, went to bed and took another in the morning. Its the next day and the swelling has gone done tremendously and its already getting flat, by tomorrow it will probably be gone.

November 8, 2013 2:21 PM

Review by nursevicccccc:

For Cold Sores: Every time I tell someone about this miracle medicine, I am hoping that they are listening to me. If you get cold sores this is ESSENTIAL. I never leave home without it. I use it in combination with L-Lysine to reduce symptoms. I am getting one right now and did not feel the tingle so I am hoping it will still work. Sometimes there is just no getting rid of a nasty tough one. I am 23 years old and when I have a cold sore I absolutely obsess over it and I try to hide my face as much as possible. I hope they someday find a CURE for this virus but in the meantime Valtrex is amazing!

October 11, 2013 3:06 PM

Review by Hellogoodmirning:

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: I was diagnosed a year ago and it was the worst feeling I have ever experienced. I started taking Valtrex and the next day I felt the difference. I have been taking it daily since then and have not had an outbreak! If I miss a day I get scared and think it is coming but it hasn't yet. I am happy to say this medicine has not only given me a second chance but a new outlook on life.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2013 9:01 PM

Review by Cold Sores are the PLAGUE! (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Cold Sores: I contracted the disease thanks to my then-boyfriend, whose whole family, including himself, got them. I tried everything to make them go away - Carmex, Campho-Phenique (which was just ridiculous), even ice. Nothing worked. My then - boyfriend finally got a prescription for Denavir, which only worked once. It helped heal the cold sores, but never prevented them. Valtrex was prescribed to me and I never got them.

August 27, 2013 6:19 PM

Review by Sdaz (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cold Sores: I had a cold sore appear in my nose on a Wednesday morning, I called my doctor and she called in a prescription for Valacyclovir, and by Monday it was gone! Granted there was still a little sore area from my skin healing, but nothing like having the cold sore without the medication! When I took my medicine it stopped it from growing and by 36 hours it was already scabbed and healing! My outbreaks usually take up to 2 weeks to heal and with taking the medicine it cut that time in half. I know if I would have had the medicine at the first sign it would have never have grown! I will never get stuck in the situation of never having any on hand, I always keep some in my medicine cabinet! Best medicine EVER!

August 26, 2013 4:15 PM

Review by JamieMW:

For Cold Sores: I was one of those "just live with your cold sore outbreaks" people until I was introduced to Valtrex. Stress triggers my cold sores and I tried everything over the counter. Abreva made my outbreaks worse and I became pretty hopeless at this point. Long story short, at college I had such a big outbreak I decided to see the Health Center & I was prescribed just 1 Valtrex tab about 2 days into the outbreak. The morning after I took the pill, I felt like days had gone by because it had healed so fast. If you get cold sores, you do not need to deal for 10 days. If you take a Valtrex at the first sign of symptoms, either your blister does not even form, or you're looking at a 2 day hassle as opposed to a day 10 disaster.

August 15, 2013 7:54 AM

Review by Anon85:

For Cold Sores: So yesterday morning (Sunday) I woke up with a cluster of little blisters on my top lip. This has never happened before. I tried to go to the doctor but they were closed already by the time I got there. I took off work today and went in and they prescribed the 2grams valacyclovir twice a day. I took the first dose right away and the blisters seem to have flattened out already. I will take the second dose tonight. I hope by morning they are mostly cleared up, or at least they clear up before Saturday as I have big events going on this coming weekend. The reviews on here give me hope that it will clear up fast with Valtrex. Wish I would have gone earlier yesterday to get it!

July 22, 2013 6:12 PM

Review by Staying Anonymous:

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: I contracted HSV-2 about 3 years ago. That first year was horrible. I had about one outbreak a month and each outbreak brought about not only physical, but emotional turmoil. After a year of feeling depressed, worthless and guilty, I finally had enough and took myself to get tested. Sure enough, I was right. I asked the doctor for a suppressive Valtrex prescription. I take valacyclovir and it has completely given me my life and sanity back. I've been on the medicines for two years now and I have had one tiny outbreak that came about during a HUGELY stressful time and I had not taken the Valtrex for few days. The OB lasted 2, maybe 3 days, and never blistered or crusted. I can't say enough good things about Valtrex/Valacyclovir.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2013 6:37 PM

Review by Fleadiddy:

For Cold Sores: PROS: Valtrex stops cold sores in its tracks. If you already broken out it wont get any worse. If you're the type that breaks out from kissing take it an hour before the date. Feel embarrassed, have doctor write for "cold sores" on the prescription. CONS: Need prescription. Some doctors look at you weird or wont prescribe for cold sores.(That was 10 years ago most likely before it was widely used for cold sores). Other options: Try Carmex lip balm it will say for cold sores on it. Its cheap and over the counter. Use it daily as preventive.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2013 9:07 PM

Review by D Mom (taken for less than 1 month):

For Varicella-Zoster: At the age of 61 I had Shingles. This medication helped with the pain as well as the blisters. After only 3 or 4 days on Valtrex my blisters began diminishing. I would estimate somewhere between 40 to 60 percent of the blisters were gone. It is now day six and I am looking forward to a complete recovery soon.

May 22, 2013 5:55 PM