User Reviews for Valtrex

Learn more about Valtrex.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 3 reviews 3 medications

7.9
Cytomegalovirus Infection 1 reviews 4 medications

Summary of Valtrex reviews 166 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Valtrex

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "This is my first outbreak. I've been on it for 2 days now and I have no relief. The blisters down in my vagina are awful. I scared go drink anything, because I'm scared to go to the bathroom.. I hope I get some relief soon. When outbreak is gone I hope to do supressive treatment."

mariezy February 5, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "So woke up sunday morning with a little blister. Instantly took 4x500mg Valtrex. Unlike the rest of the users on the previous reviews, mine did get bigger and did multiply. It is now Tuesday. It didn't get as big as it would get without the valtrex but still up there and not scabbing yet. So its either I'm not lucky like the rest of the users or they are making it up."

JimmyJames1877 February 2, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "Such a great pill! I contracted HSV 2 when I was only 17 by my boyfriend that cheated on me. One week before my highschool graduation. I started taking it only when having outbreaks until shortly after I was having 3-4 a month. I was beyond depressed. My doctor told me about suppressive medicine taking it twice a day (500mg) and ever since then I have been clear of any sign of an outbreak. I'm going on month 5 with no symptoms. Makes me feel myself again! Remember ALWAYS USE PROTECTION!"

Hunter runner (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "As soon as you get your first outbreak you need to start taking this immediately. The outbreak will only get worse without it and last for weeks. My first outbreak was heart wrenching. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But once I started taking the medicine my symptoms rapidly improved. I probably get less than one outbreak a year but when I do have one I take this immediately and it knocks it right out."

crazydoglady84 January 21, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I am pregnant and found out I had genital herpes on new years eve from my boyfriend giving me oral sex with a cold sore on his lip.it burned so bad when I went pee I had painful blisters and bumps and awful itching with a nasty discharge and swelling.obgyn gave me valtrex 1gm to take twice a day. On day one the painful swelling I had in my labias went down a lot. By day two the burning was gone and the big blisters went down until they were super small. The itching also got a lot better. Day 3 blisters and bumps scabbed over. It's now day four and all I had left is dried up tiny scabs over where two of the blisters were and they don't hurt at all. Bumps are gone. Basically my vagina looks and feels almost normal again."

much better (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I found out I had herpes simplex type 2 last year and never had a breakout until I got pregnant, my first breakout started about a week ago and my ob just prescribed me valtrex yesterday! I've started my dose and I'm praying it works because this is horrible !!"

Zandersmommy January 7, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I was unfortunately diagnosed in February 2015 with HSV-2 when I experienced my first outbreak. It was horrible and devastating. I continued to get outbreaks monthly until I had enough and finally went to my doctor in July of 2015. He put me on 1 gram dose of Valtrex daily and I have not had an outbreak since. This drug is a total life saver. Couldn't be happier with the results."

Military Chick (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

For Cold Sores "I had a terrible out break. My chin felt red and swollen. I had sores and pus really bad. As soon as it was healed I would break out again. This lasted for six months. I had been to my family doctor and several dermatologists, finally I met with a dermatologist who prescribed valtrex. What a life saver. With school starting again Monday I was stressing out . I could feel my chin start to swell and so I decided to get a refill and try it. It worked! Yesterday my chin felt swollen and sore and I was starting to get red bumps under my bottom lip. I took 2 in the afternoon and 2 more when I went to bed and this morning it seems to be gone! No swelling and no red bumps!! Thank you to who ever invented this miracle drug!!"

Vann38 January 2, 2016

For Cold Sores "Like so many others here, I've had cold sore outbreaks here and there since I was a little kid. It was Always a source of anxiety for me, either when I had one, or just worrying about when the next one was coming. I'm in my 30s now. About 2 years ago, I had my dentist call in a prescription when I had felt one coming on for a few hours ( the bump was forming ) not knowing what would happen. He called it in. I took my first dose within an hour. It never really formed, just stayed a bump for a half day or so and then flattened out and healed quickly. Since then I've always made sure to keep it on hand at home at my office. I've taken it several times since at the first signal and its been all clear. Cannot recommend enough!!"

ArtInAZ December 26, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "It has been a great suppressive medicine for Herpes 2. Would recommend highly. Hoping for a vaccine, but until then this is the next best thing."

TonyT71 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2015

For Cold Sores "This medicine is absolute magic! I only get a cold sore once a year like clock work. Always in Novemeber when the weather gets cold, and life gets hectic. I get it within the same week every year, I take this medicine as soon as I see it coming on and I get that tingle! Seriously within 1-2 days the cold sore is completely gone, looks a little red that's it can't even tell. Absolutely amazing would recommend to anyone!"

Kitbakes December 17, 2015

For Cold Sores "I have been getting cold sores since I was 9 years old, sadly when I was little they didn't know what cold sores were and how contagious they were. Therefore they were spread much more often than today. They are miserable, not only are they very painful, it's hard to eat as well but they are very very embarrassing. People look at you like you have the plaque. I used to suffer for 2 weeks during an outbreak but now I take valtrex at the first sign and if I catch it fast enough I don't even get the cold sore. If not then it's pretty much gone in 3 days. It doesn't get near as big or as painful and it's much easier to hide. I love this medication and can't say enough good things about it. try it you won't be disappointed."

Sexysteelerfan December 10, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I contracted genital herpes when I was 16 years old, and I am now 36. I had few out breaks until I turned 21. Then, I began getting an outbreak every 4-6 weeks. This was devastating for me, since my entire adult sexuality was practically defined by the stigma of herpes. I felt unlovable many times. I began taking Valtrex at 23 and it was life changing for me. I had no outbreaks. After 7-8 years of taking the medication I tried to get off of it, but sadly, I suffered chronic outbreaks again. I always thought that when I got older, and perhaps lived a more a balanced lifestyle that I would be able to get off of this medication with only 2-3 outbreaks a year, as that would be manageable to me. This has not been the case, hoping for a cure!"

tiffany 36 December 3, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "Wow get maybe 2 or 3 cold sores a year and in my line of work i cant afford to look bad. So i had a very bad coldsore on my upper lip worst ive had my lip swole 2x normal size. Ive never been to a dr for a coldsore before but i was desperate. Was prescribed valtrex and within 2 days this mother of a coldsore is literally dissapearing. Amazing this is the first time i have posted anything online but i felt i had to say how good this drug is! I wont look back no more over the counter crap for me."

jayoz November 26, 2015

For Cold Sores "Suffered from cold sores since a young teen. Not only do I break out from large ones that cover half my lips but I will get them on my cheeks. Without treatment they will last around 9 days. I take valtrex at the first signs. I will take 4 pills and then another 4 12 hours later. I just had a break out and the bump was already big and itchy took my 4 pills before bed and another 4 when I woke up. Bumps were gone with no cabbing by day 2!"

Tiamarie2015 November 1, 2015

For Cold Sores "I've had outbreaks with cold sores for about 10 years now on average 1-2x year, the last few years primarily due to stress and weather changes. The main key to the success of Valtrex - as with any OTC, prescription or home remedy for cold sores/fever blisters - is timing. Take it at the first tingle. I keep Valtrex refilled and keep it handy, regardless of whether I need it. I felt a tingle and a bump the other day, took it and it has helped tremendously. It's been 48 hours now and it has progressed past a slight red bump with no pain or bleeding. I haven't had a major outbreak in over 2 years. If you are able, keep it handy. As someone who has had some dreadful experiences with cold sores, I can say it works-but timing is important."

movieguywes October 5, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I have MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities) and had suffered with outbreaks for years (1/month). Because of MCS, my body can turn a medication into a poison, so I was always too afraid to seek a remedy. When outbreaks became too frequent, I caved in under duress. My Gyno prescribed Valtrex (not the generic) because the generics are inconsistent. I took one 500mg pill per day. This medication rocks! I took it for almost 7 years and did not have one single breakout and my body did not have any negative reactions to it!!! About 1.5 years ago, I stopped taking it because I couldn't afford it! Even though insurance covered a small portion of it. And 1.5 years later I'm having a breakout. I wiill go back to daily dose."

EarthlyAngel (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I get cold sores very bad on my upper lip (doctors are even surprised how bad it gets) so I am prescribed Valtrex 1000 mg. I love it! It takes away all of the pain overnight and helps speed up the process very fast. I've also found if I catch my cold sores soon enough, I take my normal dose and it doesn't appear! This medicine is an absolute God send and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who struggles with the same or similar symptoms, as we all know how awful Herpes Simplex can be."

Kscrim October 1, 2015

For Cold Sores "wow is all I have to say. Anyone who has cold sore know the minute it happens your worried how big how long. I was driving home from work Monday at 6 pm felt the tingle freaked out took the valtrex and again in the morning. I was worried cause it did seem to grow. But by the end of Tuesday it was not as bad as it would have been. Next morning I was shocked. Normally waiting for that blisters and gross that you know comes. But it was flat. No blister it seemed to stop all production. Yes what's there is healing but wow it's basically at the end of a cold sore. Not where it should be like the beginning. I will keep this on hand always. Amazing. I am so happy."

RLC2015 September 30, 2015

For Cold Sores "I got this when I had already had 2 crusty cold sores and just got rid of 1. I get them alot and they don't care-they show up for no reason! I took the 2 and then 2 later and it helped clear those up in no time at all, but when I start on a new cold sore I notice the 2 now and 2 later isn't working but the doctor won't change the script so I'm doing a bit of testing at home to see what helps. I haven't had a cold sore often enough now to say if taking 2 now 2 later for 2days helps or 4 now and 4 later for 1 day is best. I still have the painful blisters and they still came in the overnight to the 2nd day-not more just the ones that came the first day became fuller. This was on the 2 now and 2 later. I did catch it right when I felt the itch."

Guccismomma (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 6, 2015

For Cold Sores "I have had cold sore/fever blisters, my whole life my baby sister also. She would get them on her nose and lip. We both would never have relief from them. In 2006 I show a doctor about some spots on my forehead and at the time I had a nasty cold sore. Doc come in first thing he said is whats on your lip and the nurse had ask me the same thing. This was a dermatologist office, I said it's s fever blaster with a crazy look in my face. He said I can make those go away for good I said prove it. Well almost 10 years later and I get no more cold sores. If I feel like ones coming up I just pop a one gram pill and it gone. My sister finally got the point a few years back and got prescription for it. She two plus years clean ."

Mcpeaches September 5, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I've had HSV1 since birth. My whole life suffering from terrible outbreaks. My entire mouth, tounge and cheeks covered it giant cold sores. I would get about 3 single outbreaks a year and every 2 years or so have an out break of at least 5 cold sores at once. High school was hell, I was always trying to make up excuses like " an allergic reaction" or "I fell down" to avoid the accusations of "girl with herpes" finally when I was 18, it was a week before Halloween, and of course giant outbreak!! Finally I went to the doctor and she told me about Valtrex, I had seen it on TV and thought "I don't have genital herpes" and was almost embarrassed to be prescribed it, I took the Drs advice and literally within a couple days it was gone. It works!!"

LL blue jay August 14, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I have gotten cold sores as long as I can remember. Miserable ones that would cover my chin, after starting at the corner of my mouth. They would happen 2 to 4 times a years last for 4 to 8 weeks. Finally 2 years ago I was prescribed Valtrex, and I have had 2 breakouts in 2 years. I take them everyday, 1 a day, unless I am feeling a breakout coming on. Then I will double up on the pills. Truth be told I have been lazy and didn't go back to the dr for a new script. when mine ran out. So right now I have been over a week without my Valtrex and having severe breakouts in places I didn't even know you could get them. Apparently my body goes into shock when I stop taking it. Will never stop again. VALTREX ROCKS!"

Krbbvb (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 5, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "When I first contracted genital H (24yrs ago), I was devastated. Suffered continuous outbreaks for several months until seeking medical advice. Acyclovir gave me back my life, severely reduced the occurrences and severity to a manageable level. Valtrex came along and I now take it instead of Acyclovir (no noticeable difference other than having to take fewer tablets). I have tried suppressive and intermittent and both have worked for me. I tend to take the medicine when I have an occurrence as I don't want the virus to become resistant to it. These drugs are a life saver. For what its worth.... I have found that chocolate will trigger an outbreak for me. I've virtually given it up and reckon its a small price to pay for no symptoms. !"

Andi64 July 29, 2015

For Cold Sores "I'm a 40 year old UPS guy. I started getting cold sores 3 years ago. They used to happen only when I was working out in the cold but now in the middle of July. They always last 2 weeks. I've tried Abreva, Lycine, campo-phenique, ice, limiting argonine-rich foods, nothing worked. Today, day 3 of abreva and campo-phenique failing, I was full blown, huge pustules on my lip looking like they were about to explode so went to my doctor. I took 1GM of valtrex this AM and within 45 minutes it started feeling different and my lip started tingling. By 5PM it was softer/less pressure. I took another 1GM at 7PM. I just looked in the mirror at 10PM and the pustules are much smaller and never popped. So far so good!"

Plagued (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2015