User Reviews for Valtrex

Learn more about Valtrex.

Valtrex Rating Summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex, Suppression.

Reviews for Valtrex to treat Herpes Simplex, Suppression

"I am 44. Had a 1st outbreak (genital) after having an UTI. It was a minor outbreak. Sm patch of raw skin and looked like one lesion. It never spread or got worse. I had never had any sort of outbreak ever oral or genital. So, I don't know if I already had it or my partner if 1.5yrs triggered an outbrk or whether it was dormant all this time and getting sick brought it out. I got blood & cult done for hsv 1 and 2 -3wks later but the patch was about 90% healed already w/ no meds but was still prescribed (the generic Valtrex) 1000mg 2x a day for 5 days. Ive been off the meds for 2 days now. I need to see if I get another outbreak B4 just taking meds daily. I had no side effects as I drank water like crazy as it said to do. I'm hoping for the best"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

"I took valtrex for about 3 years. I was having terrible side effects after about a year 1/2.. but I did not want an outbreak so I kept taking them. I felt like total crap almost everyday for months. one day and realized I was out of my script and had to call doc for my yearly refill. I stopped taking them! I am a completely different person off of the pills. I no longer feel depressed. I was having all the side effects. I had a dull ache in the right side of my body that radiated form my hip to my breast. A week after stopping the pills all my symptoms were gone and pain in my side gone. I think back to a few weeks ago and never want to wake up eveyday feeling the way I did.i will deal with outbreaks. No more valtrex."

Seriouslyfedup (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2016

"I've been using Valtrex for suppression and have not had an outbreak in 1.5 years using it. It's a life saver. Hoping to take it daily for the rest of my life. If anyone has been taking it daily for suppression please chime in, I wanted to know if it has effected anyone in a bad way. I did read one review where someone was using it daily as a suppression for 14 years and it worked and he didn't have an outbreak once but he ended getting allergic reaction and had to stop using it. What a bummer! But yes Valtrex is a life saver."

Johnganonyy April 25, 2016

"Had my first outbreak about two weeks ago, it was excruciatingly painful. Couldn't urinate without being In the bath tub or running water over the sores....this outbreak had been going on for a whole two weeks almost so I went to my doctor and she prescribed me valtrex 500mg 2x a day. By the second day of taking the medication the burning while urinating went away. I am now on day 6 and the sores are almost all gone, I have maybe one left but there's little to no feeling in it. This was my first outbreak and I just turned 21, it flared up right after I got the flu and had a high fever. Apparently hsv can stay dormant in your body for some time until your immune system is shot...but I'm finally feeling normal again and the meds for sure work"

MaryMaria57 March 20, 2016

"I am going to turn 70 yrs old in March , I have had HSV for 42 yrs. I take the 500mg dose as soon as I know its going to start up and if I neglect taking it for whatever reason it flares up , one of the things that I noticed that is sure to get it going is Sun bathing . I have become a vegan and live a very healthy life style which really helps the immune system."

rpww (taken for 10 years or more) February 22, 2016

"I was getting frequent outbreaks and was very miserable. I felt I would never be normal again. Started this treatment and it improved my daily and intimate life by a milestone. Maybe get a little thing or two in a year and very possibly not. If so its quickly resolved with these meds..I reccomend it. Give yourself and love a chance. I am still very worthy and so are you. There is a huge and scary stigma about it but you are still normal and so am I. Its a small complication we have to deal with until God provides a cure. In the meantime take care of yourself and your partner. Be careful and safe. But don't underestimate your worth like I did. Try this treatment."

contentandaccepted February 19, 2016

"This is my first outbreak. I've been on it for 2 days now and I have no relief. The blisters down in my vagina are awful. I scared go drink anything, because I'm scared to go to the bathroom.. I hope I get some relief soon. When outbreak is gone I hope to do supressive treatment."

mariezy February 5, 2016

"So woke up sunday morning with a little blister. Instantly took 4x500mg Valtrex. Unlike the rest of the users on the previous reviews, mine did get bigger and did multiply. It is now Tuesday. It didn't get as big as it would get without the valtrex but still up there and not scabbing yet. So its either I'm not lucky like the rest of the users or they are making it up."

JimmyJames1877 February 2, 2016

"Such a great pill! I contracted HSV 2 when I was only 17 by my boyfriend that cheated on me. One week before my highschool graduation. I started taking it only when having outbreaks until shortly after I was having 3-4 a month. I was beyond depressed. My doctor told me about suppressive medicine taking it twice a day (500mg) and ever since then I have been clear of any sign of an outbreak. I'm going on month 5 with no symptoms. Makes me feel myself again! Remember ALWAYS USE PROTECTION!"

Hunter runner (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2016

"As soon as you get your first outbreak you need to start taking this immediately. The outbreak will only get worse without it and last for weeks. My first outbreak was heart wrenching. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But once I started taking the medicine my symptoms rapidly improved. I probably get less than one outbreak a year but when I do have one I take this immediately and it knocks it right out."

crazydoglady84 January 21, 2016

"I am pregnant and found out I had genital herpes on new years eve from my boyfriend giving me oral sex with a cold sore on his lip.it burned so bad when I went pee I had painful blisters and bumps and awful itching with a nasty discharge and swelling.obgyn gave me valtrex 1gm to take twice a day. On day one the painful swelling I had in my labias went down a lot. By day two the burning was gone and the big blisters went down until they were super small. The itching also got a lot better. Day 3 blisters and bumps scabbed over. It's now day four and all I had left is dried up tiny scabs over where two of the blisters were and they don't hurt at all. Bumps are gone. Basically my vagina looks and feels almost normal again."

much better (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2016

"I found out I had herpes simplex type 2 last year and never had a breakout until I got pregnant, my first breakout started about a week ago and my ob just prescribed me valtrex yesterday! I've started my dose and I'm praying it works because this is horrible !!"

Zandersmommy January 7, 2016

"I was unfortunately diagnosed in February 2015 with HSV-2 when I experienced my first outbreak. It was horrible and devastating. I continued to get outbreaks monthly until I had enough and finally went to my doctor in July of 2015. He put me on 1 gram dose of Valtrex daily and I have not had an outbreak since. This drug is a total life saver. Couldn't be happier with the results."

Military Chick (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

"It has been a great suppressive medicine for Herpes 2. Would recommend highly. Hoping for a vaccine, but until then this is the next best thing."

TonyT71 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2015

"I contracted genital herpes when I was 16 years old, and I am now 36. I had few out breaks until I turned 21. Then, I began getting an outbreak every 4-6 weeks. This was devastating for me, since my entire adult sexuality was practically defined by the stigma of herpes. I felt unlovable many times. I began taking Valtrex at 23 and it was life changing for me. I had no outbreaks. After 7-8 years of taking the medication I tried to get off of it, but sadly, I suffered chronic outbreaks again. I always thought that when I got older, and perhaps lived a more a balanced lifestyle that I would be able to get off of this medication with only 2-3 outbreaks a year, as that would be manageable to me. This has not been the case, hoping for a cure!"

tiffany 36 December 3, 2015

"Wow get maybe 2 or 3 cold sores a year and in my line of work i cant afford to look bad. So i had a very bad coldsore on my upper lip worst ive had my lip swole 2x normal size. Ive never been to a dr for a coldsore before but i was desperate. Was prescribed valtrex and within 2 days this mother of a coldsore is literally dissapearing. Amazing this is the first time i have posted anything online but i felt i had to say how good this drug is! I wont look back no more over the counter crap for me."

jayoz November 26, 2015

"I have MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities) and had suffered with outbreaks for years (1/month). Because of MCS, my body can turn a medication into a poison, so I was always too afraid to seek a remedy. When outbreaks became too frequent, I caved in under duress. My Gyno prescribed Valtrex (not the generic) because the generics are inconsistent. I took one 500mg pill per day. This medication rocks! I took it for almost 7 years and did not have one single breakout and my body did not have any negative reactions to it!!! About 1.5 years ago, I stopped taking it because I couldn't afford it! Even though insurance covered a small portion of it. And 1.5 years later I'm having a breakout. I wiill go back to daily dose."

EarthlyAngel (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2015

"I get cold sores very bad on my upper lip (doctors are even surprised how bad it gets) so I am prescribed Valtrex 1000 mg. I love it! It takes away all of the pain overnight and helps speed up the process very fast. I've also found if I catch my cold sores soon enough, I take my normal dose and it doesn't appear! This medicine is an absolute God send and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who struggles with the same or similar symptoms, as we all know how awful Herpes Simplex can be."

Kscrim October 1, 2015

"I've had HSV1 since birth. My whole life suffering from terrible outbreaks. My entire mouth, tounge and cheeks covered it giant cold sores. I would get about 3 single outbreaks a year and every 2 years or so have an out break of at least 5 cold sores at once. High school was hell, I was always trying to make up excuses like " an allergic reaction" or "I fell down" to avoid the accusations of "girl with herpes" finally when I was 18, it was a week before Halloween, and of course giant outbreak!! Finally I went to the doctor and she told me about Valtrex, I had seen it on TV and thought "I don't have genital herpes" and was almost embarrassed to be prescribed it, I took the Drs advice and literally within a couple days it was gone. It works!!"

LL blue jay August 14, 2015

"I have gotten cold sores as long as I can remember. Miserable ones that would cover my chin, after starting at the corner of my mouth. They would happen 2 to 4 times a years last for 4 to 8 weeks. Finally 2 years ago I was prescribed Valtrex, and I have had 2 breakouts in 2 years. I take them everyday, 1 a day, unless I am feeling a breakout coming on. Then I will double up on the pills. Truth be told I have been lazy and didn't go back to the dr for a new script. when mine ran out. So right now I have been over a week without my Valtrex and having severe breakouts in places I didn't even know you could get them. Apparently my body goes into shock when I stop taking it. Will never stop again. VALTREX ROCKS!"

Krbbvb (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 5, 2015

"When I first contracted genital H (24yrs ago), I was devastated. Suffered continuous outbreaks for several months until seeking medical advice. Acyclovir gave me back my life, severely reduced the occurrences and severity to a manageable level. Valtrex came along and I now take it instead of Acyclovir (no noticeable difference other than having to take fewer tablets). I have tried suppressive and intermittent and both have worked for me. I tend to take the medicine when I have an occurrence as I don't want the virus to become resistant to it. These drugs are a life saver. For what its worth.... I have found that chocolate will trigger an outbreak for me. I've virtually given it up and reckon its a small price to pay for no symptoms. !"

Andi64 July 29, 2015

"I was notified last year January 2014 that I had hsv2. I went into such a deep depression that I truly wanted to give up. I begged for second test to confirm it. The doctor refused to test me again and said that she was positive that the test was positive and showed me the papers. I still was in denial for quite some time. The doctor gave me Valtrex 500 milligrams and told me to take one everyday. Needless to say I took it for 30 days and stopped. and never had an outbreak until just a few days ago which confirmed that I was positive. I immediately began taking my medicine. Although it can be very uncomfortable while at work because I do sit down and gets in and out of trucks constantly. This medicine has truly kept my outbreak under control "

anonymous. .. June 3, 2015

"So you find out you have herpes, now what? I've read so many stories on blogs and different websites about how people disclose the topic to potential partners and their fears. Here's the deal guys, if you use Valtrex and a condom, the chance of you giving the infection to the other person is less than 2% (assuming you aren't having an active outbreak). If a girl/guy has an issue with the fact and can't see you anymore because of it than good! It's better you find out they weren't that into you this way than 6 months and countless dates later. A cure is right around the corner if you follow the updates in the medical community so hang tough and forget the stigma!"

Nobigdeal1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2015

185 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"The day you are diagnosed with HSV2 is an incredibly traumatic experience. Everyone's first thought is, "who would want to be with me now?" The social stigma of the virus has always been greater than the reality of it. I, like many of you, struggled with the idea of living with it until I was given Valtrex. It looks like a horse pill, but it suppresses the virus so much that I forget I even have it. I hope there will be a cure in the next 5 years, but until then, Valtrex will be more than sufficient. Hang in there, everyone, it's more common than you think!"

Finally123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2015

174 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Works"