Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Valtrex

Learn more about Valtrex.

Valtrex review summary

9.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex, Suppression.

Reviews for Valtrex to treat Herpes Simplex, Suppression

Review by Finally123 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

The day you are diagnosed with HSV2 is an incredibly traumatic experience. Everyone's first thought is, "who would want to be with me now?" The social stigma of the virus has always been greater than the reality of it. I, like many of you, struggled with the idea of living with it until I was given Valtrex. It looks like a horse pill, but it suppresses the virus so much that I forget I even have it. I hope there will be a cure in the next 5 years, but until then, Valtrex will be more than sufficient. Hang in there, everyone, it's more common than you think!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 4:38 PM

Review by ratass123:

Works

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2015 3:32 AM

Review by Khatti:

Suffered for years until I found out about this medication online. Take it everyday and reduced outbreaks considerably. Since having kidney stones and being required to drink at least 2.5 litres of liquid, mostly water,and no soda/ coke etc. Have been TOTALLY free! Drink more water and your whole system functions better.

March 4, 2015 1:30 AM

Review by TrexTaker (taken for less than 1 month):

So after reading these reviews, I feel a little better about taking Valtrex. I just took my first 500mg dose for HSV1 that has been recurring in my nose over the last 2 years (thank you nose piercer). I read that it has the potential to travel up into my sinuses and in rare cases can cause fatal outbreaks in the brain. I can't tell you the kind of depression I fell into after I read that... It was all I could think about for weeks until I could get in to the doctor. I'm hoping it works as well for me as it seems to for all of you. Fingers crossed.

January 19, 2015 7:03 AM

Review by Grateful4Generic:

I find remarkable, quantifiable relief within 24 hours when using the 1G pill. It takes a few days for complete return to normal but 99% of symptoms are gone within 24 hours in my otherwise healthy body.

January 7, 2015 9:10 PM

Review by Not sure yet:

I've been on Valtrex as suppression therapy for two months. After first contracting HSV2 I was getting outbreak upon outbreak with no break. It has significantly reduced my outbreaks but I am still getting them and presently not much relief. My doctor thinks it may take more time for the medication to work. But I did notice a review where this person upped their dosage while in outbreak. Will try this and see.

January 3, 2015 2:30 AM

Review by ABCDEFGHIJKLMON (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Contracted genital HSV a few years ago, and put up with the outbreaks for a while (mostly in denial of everything) hoping they would just go away. After multiple tests coming back negative (even tests from an uncrusted sore), I finally saw the right Dr., and finally showed positive. Dr. put me on Valtrex and I never looked back. No outbreaks since, and no noticeable side effects. Anyone with HSV knows of the stigma and fear of having to live with this. Valtrex is a lifesaver!!!

January 2, 2015 9:15 AM

Review by Io86:

I have had herpes since 10 years old or so. I didnt know then that there was a medicine for this. I have had outbreaks during whole of my life until I was 26 and googled the medicine for herpes. I doctor prescribed me Valtrex after this and its the best medicine I have ever taken (accept antibiotics). This was life changing for me and the best option. I don't take it daily though. Whenever I feel that an outbreak is coming I take 2x500 mg and the herpes disappears in a few hours. Thanking the chemists that found this this. Happy new years!

December 31, 2014 8:01 AM

Review by RM2014:

I had eczema on the skin accompanied by fever and joint pain for the first time last year and was diagnosed HSV2 by IgG positive test. I took Valtrex for two and a half month and the following IgG test was negative. I repeated the test three month later, still IgG negative. My doctor does not know why. I would suggest those that have been taking Valtrex for a longer time (at least some months) right from the first outbreak to take a new IgG test. Maybe the Valtrex period of some months assists in the body reducing the number of virus through repeated life cycles such that it does not cause IgG antibodies. I like to add that the HSV1, which I had since long, gave positive IgG response in all three IgG tests.

April 21, 2014 10:02 AM

Review by Regina222:

I was diagnosed with HSV2, three years ago. I've never had an outbreak but my gyno prescribed Valtrex as suppressive therapy.

February 10, 2014 3:57 AM

Review by wortheverypenny:

Valtrex has been a lifesaver for me. I've had this virus for 12 years now and would suffer through monthly outbreaks that lasted almost until the next outbreak would occur. I started by taking 2 500 mg pills/day or 3 pills if I had an outbreak. Now I take 1 500 mg pill once every second day and have had only one very minor outbreak in the last 2 years. If I feel an outbreak coming on I up my dosage to 3 pills a day and the outbreak is stopped/prevented. Valtrex is worth the cost, it makes living with this condition manageable. In addition to Valtrex, I avoid what I've found to be triggers for me...my only regret is not starting on this medication sooner.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2014 9:56 PM

Review by Hellogoodmirning:

I was diagnosed a year ago and it was the worst feeling I have ever experienced. I started taking Valtrex and the next day I felt the difference. I have been taking it daily since then and have not had an outbreak! If I miss a day I get scared and think it is coming but it hasn't yet. I am happy to say this medicine has not only given me a second chance but a new outlook on life.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2013 9:01 PM

Review by Staying Anonymous:

I contracted HSV-2 about 3 years ago. That first year was horrible. I had about one outbreak a month and each outbreak brought about not only physical, but emotional turmoil. After a year of feeling depressed, worthless and guilty, I finally had enough and took myself to get tested. Sure enough, I was right. I asked the doctor for a suppressive Valtrex prescription. I take valacyclovir and it has completely given me my life and sanity back. I've been on the medicines for two years now and I have had one tiny outbreak that came about during a HUGELY stressful time and I had not taken the Valtrex for few days. The OB lasted 2, maybe 3 days, and never blistered or crusted. I can't say enough good things about Valtrex/Valacyclovir.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2013 6:37 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Completely changed my life. Not a single outbreak while on Valtrex. Went off it just to see how I would do without & have had 2 very painful outbreaks.

September 8, 2012 7:44 AM

Review by Emilyphoenix (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For more than one year I%u2019m taking Valtrex, a 500 mg dose a day. I had a newborn daughter so I decided to take care of her against herpes, as you know, this virus can kill a kid younger than 3 months. I didn%u2019t have an outbreak all this period of time, it%u2019s wonderful.

May 10, 2012 12:28 PM

I was diagnosed 13 yrs ago my doctor at the time told me to take Valtrex for a year. I did and have not had an outbreak in 13 yrs. Neither did my ex from 10 year relationship get the disease. I believe if one eats healthy, tries to stay stress free you may not need to take it daily for your entire life. But that is my experience. It is a truly wonderful medicine!

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 28, 2012 1:17 AM

Hi I just start taking Valtrex and has been working great. Just contracted HSV2 in Dec. 2011 its now Feb. 2012.. Went to hospital day after I saw all the lesions and was on famciclovir (Famvir).. Didnt really seem to do my for the lesions. I only had one week's worth of Famvir and was off antivirals until 3 weeks ago and had 3 mini outbreaks since then with 1 lesions each. Got on Valtrex haven't even had itching or tingling since. Thanks Valtrex.

February 7, 2012 3:05 AM

Review by jared71:

I have HSV 2 since about 22 and at about age 26 Valtrex became available. I have taking 1 gram daily (somewhat consistent) until about about 2.5years ago. It was great, and I didn't have one single outbreak in almost 14 years, nor did my two long term ex's get the virus. Unfortunately, I developed an allergic reaction from long term use, and can no longer tolerate it without major skin rash, major itching, hypersensitivity and also had some hair thinning. I'm trying Famvir, but so far I'm back to having outbreaks. I have gone on and off the medicine 6-7 times and within weeks have had negative symptoms, which subside within days of discontinuing.

December 3, 2011 1:31 AM

Review by unicovato:

I was introduced to Valtrex for HSV2 suppression in mid 2000 after surgery to my groin. The outbreak was the worst I had experienced in the 20 years that I'd suffered. The daily 500mg treatment worked immediately in clearing up the outbreak, and much more importantly, I've been OUTBREK FREE since then to the posting of this note, July 2011. I'm a believer. Now the VA has changed my prescription of Valtrex, once a day, to Acyclovir, 400mg twice a day. I'm fervently hoping the suppressive qualities I've enjoyed with Valtrex remain...keeping my fingers crossed.

July 16, 2011 12:45 PM

Review by goodtimes39:

I took Valtrex once last week for 7 days 3 x day during the outbreak (oral) and wow caught it right in time. I actually felt tingling right before and took Valtrex and next morning there it was. Immediatly took 500mg 3 x a day. It worked so well with almost zero side effects at least for me. I have had HSV-1 since 6/08 and now I've got this oral for life. Anyway I started 3 days ago on suppressive therapy 500mg x1 a day and I take it at bedtime- same time every night, because it does make me sleepy so night is perfect for me. Unfortunately I have 2 dental appointments coming up soon and that usually triggers an outbreak. I'm anxious to see if it works.

June 4, 2011 11:53 AM

Valtrex has been great. I have not had an outbreak in almost two years since taking it, it has almost been like a cure. The only downside is that the pills are big but I think that is a small price to pay for what it does!

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2010 10:19 PM

I have been having more outbreaks (stress, depression, weight gain, PCOS), so I am on 1 gram of Valtrex a day as suppression. I started with an ulcer in my mouth and lip swelling, so I took 2 pills today and poof - almost gone. I have no side effects from the medication. I am happy there is a generic now that is much cheaper. I just hate that it is a big pill and that is the only reason I don't rate medication a 10.

April 1, 2010 9:27 PM

I am 60 years old, female, have had many very painful breakouts over the last 15 yrs. I have weakened immune system. Finally after two breakouts within 2 months, I am now on 500 mg valacyclovir every night. So far, no problems except I have gained weight and feel tired all the time, but I take other medicines that cause this also. I recommend it highly.

September 14, 2009 11:33 PM

Review by No Problem:

One 500 mg Valtrex a day and I did not have any outbreaks for more than one year. I had a newborn son and herpes can kill a child under 3 months. I decided to take Valtrex everyday. It worked and I was not aware of any side effects at all.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 10, 2008 3:55 AM

I take Valtrex everyday no sign of break out what so ever it's awesome.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2008 2:30 AM