User Reviews for Valtrex

Learn more about Valtrex.

Valtrex Review Summary

9.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex, Suppression.

Reviews for Valtrex to treat Herpes Simplex, Suppression

"I was notified last year January 2014 that I had hsv2. I went into such a deep depression that I truly wanted to give up. I begged for second test to confirm it. The doctor refused to test me again and said that she was positive that the test was positive and showed me the papers. I still was in denial for quite some time. The doctor gave me Valtrex 500 milligrams and told me to take one everyday. Needless to say I took it for 30 days and stopped. and never had an outbreak until just a few days ago which confirmed that I was positive. I immediately began taking my medicine. Although it can be very uncomfortable while at work because I do sit down and gets in and out of trucks constantly. This medicine has truly kept my outbreak under control "

anonymous. .. June 3, 2015

"So you find out you have herpes, now what? I've read so many stories on blogs and different websites about how people disclose the topic to potential partners and their fears. Here's the deal guys, if you use Valtrex and a condom, the chance of you giving the infection to the other person is less than 2% (assuming you aren't having an active outbreak). If a girl/guy has an issue with the fact and can't see you anymore because of it than good! It's better you find out they weren't that into you this way than 6 months and countless dates later. A cure is right around the corner if you follow the updates in the medical community so hang tough and forget the stigma!"

Nobigdeal1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2015

"The day you are diagnosed with HSV2 is an incredibly traumatic experience. Everyone's first thought is, "who would want to be with me now?" The social stigma of the virus has always been greater than the reality of it. I, like many of you, struggled with the idea of living with it until I was given Valtrex. It looks like a horse pill, but it suppresses the virus so much that I forget I even have it. I hope there will be a cure in the next 5 years, but until then, Valtrex will be more than sufficient. Hang in there, everyone, it's more common than you think!"

Finally123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2015

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Works"

ratass123 April 12, 2015

"Suffered for years until I found out about this medication online. Take it everyday and reduced outbreaks considerably. Since having kidney stones and being required to drink at least 2.5 litres of liquid, mostly water,and no soda/ coke etc. Have been TOTALLY free! Drink more water and your whole system functions better."

Khatti March 4, 2015

"So after reading these reviews, I feel a little better about taking Valtrex. I just took my first 500mg dose for HSV1 that has been recurring in my nose over the last 2 years (thank you nose piercer). I read that it has the potential to travel up into my sinuses and in rare cases can cause fatal outbreaks in the brain. I can't tell you the kind of depression I fell into after I read that... It was all I could think about for weeks until I could get in to the doctor. I'm hoping it works as well for me as it seems to for all of you. Fingers crossed."

TrexTaker (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2015

"I find remarkable, quantifiable relief within 24 hours when using the 1G pill. It takes a few days for complete return to normal but 99% of symptoms are gone within 24 hours in my otherwise healthy body."

Grateful4Generic January 7, 2015

"I've been on Valtrex as suppression therapy for two months. After first contracting HSV2 I was getting outbreak upon outbreak with no break. It has significantly reduced my outbreaks but I am still getting them and presently not much relief. My doctor thinks it may take more time for the medication to work. But I did notice a review where this person upped their dosage while in outbreak. Will try this and see."

Not sure yet January 3, 2015

"Contracted genital HSV a few years ago, and put up with the outbreaks for a while (mostly in denial of everything) hoping they would just go away. After multiple tests coming back negative (even tests from an uncrusted sore), I finally saw the right Dr., and finally showed positive. Dr. put me on Valtrex and I never looked back. No outbreaks since, and no noticeable side effects. Anyone with HSV knows of the stigma and fear of having to live with this. Valtrex is a lifesaver!!!"

ABCDEFGHIJKLMON (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 2, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had herpes since 10 years old or so. I didnt know then that there was a medicine for this. I have had outbreaks during whole of my life until I was 26 and googled the medicine for herpes. I doctor prescribed me Valtrex after this and its the best medicine I have ever taken (accept antibiotics). This was life changing for me and the best option. I don't take it daily though. Whenever I feel that an outbreak is coming I take 2x500 mg and the herpes disappears in a few hours. Thanking the chemists that found this this. Happy new years!"

Io86 December 31, 2014

"I had eczema on the skin accompanied by fever and joint pain for the first time last year and was diagnosed HSV2 by IgG positive test. I took Valtrex for two and a half month and the following IgG test was negative. I repeated the test three month later, still IgG negative. My doctor does not know why. I would suggest those that have been taking Valtrex for a longer time (at least some months) right from the first outbreak to take a new IgG test. Maybe the Valtrex period of some months assists in the body reducing the number of virus through repeated life cycles such that it does not cause IgG antibodies. I like to add that the HSV1, which I had since long, gave positive IgG response in all three IgG tests."

RM2014 April 21, 2014

"I was diagnosed with HSV2, three years ago. I've never had an outbreak but my gyno prescribed Valtrex as suppressive therapy. "

Regina222 February 10, 2014

"Valtrex has been a lifesaver for me. I've had this virus for 12 years now and would suffer through monthly outbreaks that lasted almost until the next outbreak would occur. I started by taking 2 500 mg pills/day or 3 pills if I had an outbreak. Now I take 1 500 mg pill once every second day and have had only one very minor outbreak in the last 2 years. If I feel an outbreak coming on I up my dosage to 3 pills a day and the outbreak is stopped/prevented. Valtrex is worth the cost, it makes living with this condition manageable. In addition to Valtrex, I avoid what I've found to be triggers for me...my only regret is not starting on this medication sooner."

wortheverypenny January 5, 2014

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was diagnosed a year ago and it was the worst feeling I have ever experienced. I started taking Valtrex and the next day I felt the difference. I have been taking it daily since then and have not had an outbreak! If I miss a day I get scared and think it is coming but it hasn't yet. I am happy to say this medicine has not only given me a second chance but a new outlook on life."

Hellogoodmirning August 27, 2013

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I contracted HSV-2 about 3 years ago. That first year was horrible. I had about one outbreak a month and each outbreak brought about not only physical, but emotional turmoil. After a year of feeling depressed, worthless and guilty, I finally had enough and took myself to get tested. Sure enough, I was right. I asked the doctor for a suppressive Valtrex prescription. I take valacyclovir and it has completely given me my life and sanity back. I've been on the medicines for two years now and I have had one tiny outbreak that came about during a HUGELY stressful time and I had not taken the Valtrex for few days. The OB lasted 2, maybe 3 days, and never blistered or crusted. I can't say enough good things about Valtrex/Valacyclovir."

Staying Anonymous July 17, 2013

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Completely changed my life. Not a single outbreak while on Valtrex. Went off it just to see how I would do without & have had 2 very painful outbreaks."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 8, 2012

"For more than one year I%u2019m taking Valtrex, a 500 mg dose a day. I had a newborn daughter so I decided to take care of her against herpes, as you know, this virus can kill a kid younger than 3 months. I didn%u2019t have an outbreak all this period of time, it%u2019s wonderful. "

Emilyphoenix (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 10, 2012

"I was diagnosed 13 yrs ago my doctor at the time told me to take Valtrex for a year. I did and have not had an outbreak in 13 yrs. Neither did my ex from 10 year relationship get the disease. I believe if one eats healthy, tries to stay stress free you may not need to take it daily for your entire life. But that is my experience. It is a truly wonderful medicine!"

Anonymous March 28, 2012

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Hi I just start taking Valtrex and has been working great. Just contracted HSV2 in Dec. 2011 its now Feb. 2012.. Went to hospital day after I saw all the lesions and was on famciclovir (Famvir).. Didnt really seem to do my for the lesions. I only had one week's worth of Famvir and was off antivirals until 3 weeks ago and had 3 mini outbreaks since then with 1 lesions each. Got on Valtrex haven't even had itching or tingling since. Thanks Valtrex."

Anonymous February 7, 2012

"I have HSV 2 since about 22 and at about age 26 Valtrex became available. I have taking 1 gram daily (somewhat consistent) until about about 2.5years ago. It was great, and I didn't have one single outbreak in almost 14 years, nor did my two long term ex's get the virus. Unfortunately, I developed an allergic reaction from long term use, and can no longer tolerate it without major skin rash, major itching, hypersensitivity and also had some hair thinning. I'm trying Famvir, but so far I'm back to having outbreaks. I have gone on and off the medicine 6-7 times and within weeks have had negative symptoms, which subside within days of discontinuing. "

jared71 December 3, 2011

"I was introduced to Valtrex for HSV2 suppression in mid 2000 after surgery to my groin. The outbreak was the worst I had experienced in the 20 years that I'd suffered. The daily 500mg treatment worked immediately in clearing up the outbreak, and much more importantly, I've been OUTBREK FREE since then to the posting of this note, July 2011. I'm a believer. Now the VA has changed my prescription of Valtrex, once a day, to Acyclovir, 400mg twice a day. I'm fervently hoping the suppressive qualities I've enjoyed with Valtrex remain...keeping my fingers crossed."

unicovato July 16, 2011

"I took Valtrex once last week for 7 days 3 x day during the outbreak (oral) and wow caught it right in time. I actually felt tingling right before and took Valtrex and next morning there it was. Immediatly took 500mg 3 x a day. It worked so well with almost zero side effects at least for me. I have had HSV-1 since 6/08 and now I've got this oral for life. Anyway I started 3 days ago on suppressive therapy 500mg x1 a day and I take it at bedtime- same time every night, because it does make me sleepy so night is perfect for me. Unfortunately I have 2 dental appointments coming up soon and that usually triggers an outbreak. I'm anxious to see if it works."

goodtimes39 June 4, 2011

"Valtrex has been great. I have not had an outbreak in almost two years since taking it, it has almost been like a cure. The only downside is that the pills are big but I think that is a small price to pay for what it does!"

Anonymous April 15, 2010

"I have been having more outbreaks (stress, depression, weight gain, PCOS), so I am on 1 gram of Valtrex a day as suppression. I started with an ulcer in my mouth and lip swelling, so I took 2 pills today and poof - almost gone. I have no side effects from the medication. I am happy there is a generic now that is much cheaper. I just hate that it is a big pill and that is the only reason I don't rate medication a 10."

Anonymous April 1, 2010

"I am 60 years old, female, have had many very painful breakouts over the last 15 yrs. I have weakened immune system. Finally after two breakouts within 2 months, I am now on 500 mg valacyclovir every night. So far, no problems except I have gained weight and feel tired all the time, but I take other medicines that cause this also. I recommend it highly."

Anonymous September 14, 2009