User Reviews for Valtrex

Learn more about Valtrex.

Valtrex review summary

9.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex, Suppression.

Reviews for Valtrex to treat Herpes Simplex, Suppression

Review by RM2014:

I had eczema on the skin accompanied by fever and joint pain for the first time last year and was diagnosed HSV2 by IgG positive test. I took Valtrex for two and a half month and the following IgG test was negative. I repeated the test three month later, still IgG negative. My doctor does not know why. I would suggest those that have been taking Valtrex for a longer time (at least some months) right from the first outbreak to take a new IgG test. Maybe the Valtrex period of some months assists in the body reducing the number of virus through repeated life cycles such that it does not cause IgG antibodies. I like to add that the HSV1, which I had since long, gave positive IgG response in all three IgG tests.

April 21, 2014 10:02 AM

Review by Regina222:

I was diagnosed with HSV2, three years ago. I've never had an outbreak but my gyno prescribed Valtrex as suppressive therapy.

February 10, 2014 3:57 AM

Review by wortheverypenny:

Valtrex has been a lifesaver for me. I've had this virus for 12 years now and would suffer through monthly outbreaks that lasted almost until the next outbreak would occur. I started by taking 2 500 mg pills/day or 3 pills if I had an outbreak. Now I take 1 500 mg pill once every second day and have had only one very minor outbreak in the last 2 years. If I feel an outbreak coming on I up my dosage to 3 pills a day and the outbreak is stopped/prevented. Valtrex is worth the cost, it makes living with this condition manageable. In addition to Valtrex, I avoid what I've found to be triggers for me...my only regret is not starting on this medication sooner.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2014 9:56 PM

Review by Hellogoodmirning:

I was diagnosed a year ago and it was the worst feeling I have ever experienced. I started taking Valtrex and the next day I felt the difference. I have been taking it daily since then and have not had an outbreak! If I miss a day I get scared and think it is coming but it hasn't yet. I am happy to say this medicine has not only given me a second chance but a new outlook on life.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2013 9:01 PM

Review by Staying Anonymous:

I contracted HSV-2 about 3 years ago. That first year was horrible. I had about one outbreak a month and each outbreak brought about not only physical, but emotional turmoil. After a year of feeling depressed, worthless and guilty, I finally had enough and took myself to get tested. Sure enough, I was right. I asked the doctor for a suppressive Valtrex prescription. I take valacyclovir and it has completely given me my life and sanity back. I've been on the medicines for two years now and I have had one tiny outbreak that came about during a HUGELY stressful time and I had not taken the Valtrex for few days. The OB lasted 2, maybe 3 days, and never blistered or crusted. I can't say enough good things about Valtrex/Valacyclovir.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2013 6:37 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Completely changed my life. Not a single outbreak while on Valtrex. Went off it just to see how I would do without & have had 2 very painful outbreaks.

September 8, 2012 7:44 AM

Review by Emilyphoenix (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For more than one year I%u2019m taking Valtrex, a 500 mg dose a day. I had a newborn daughter so I decided to take care of her against herpes, as you know, this virus can kill a kid younger than 3 months. I didn%u2019t have an outbreak all this period of time, it%u2019s wonderful.

May 10, 2012 12:28 PM

I was diagnosed 13 yrs ago my doctor at the time told me to take Valtrex for a year. I did and have not had an outbreak in 13 yrs. Neither did my ex from 10 year relationship get the disease. I believe if one eats healthy, tries to stay stress free you may not need to take it daily for your entire life. But that is my experience. It is a truly wonderful medicine!

March 28, 2012 1:17 AM

Hi I just start taking Valtrex and has been working great. Just contracted HSV2 in Dec. 2011 its now Feb. 2012.. Went to hospital day after I saw all the lesions and was on famciclovir (Famvir).. Didnt really seem to do my for the lesions. I only had one week's worth of Famvir and was off antivirals until 3 weeks ago and had 3 mini outbreaks since then with 1 lesions each. Got on Valtrex haven't even had itching or tingling since. Thanks Valtrex.

February 7, 2012 3:05 AM

Review by jared71:

I have HSV 2 since about 22 and at about age 26 Valtrex became available. I have taking 1 gram daily (somewhat consistent) until about about 2.5years ago. It was great, and I didn't have one single outbreak in almost 14 years, nor did my two long term ex's get the virus. Unfortunately, I developed an allergic reaction from long term use, and can no longer tolerate it without major skin rash, major itching, hypersensitivity and also had some hair thinning. I'm trying Famvir, but so far I'm back to having outbreaks. I have gone on and off the medicine 6-7 times and within weeks have had negative symptoms, which subside within days of discontinuing.

December 3, 2011 1:31 AM

Review by unicovato:

I was introduced to Valtrex for HSV2 suppression in mid 2000 after surgery to my groin. The outbreak was the worst I had experienced in the 20 years that I'd suffered. The daily 500mg treatment worked immediately in clearing up the outbreak, and much more importantly, I've been OUTBREK FREE since then to the posting of this note, July 2011. I'm a believer. Now the VA has changed my prescription of Valtrex, once a day, to Acyclovir, 400mg twice a day. I'm fervently hoping the suppressive qualities I've enjoyed with Valtrex remain...keeping my fingers crossed.

July 16, 2011 12:45 PM

Review by goodtimes39:

I took Valtrex once last week for 7 days 3 x day during the outbreak (oral) and wow caught it right in time. I actually felt tingling right before and took Valtrex and next morning there it was. Immediatly took 500mg 3 x a day. It worked so well with almost zero side effects at least for me. I have had HSV-1 since 6/08 and now I've got this oral for life. Anyway I started 3 days ago on suppressive therapy 500mg x1 a day and I take it at bedtime- same time every night, because it does make me sleepy so night is perfect for me. Unfortunately I have 2 dental appointments coming up soon and that usually triggers an outbreak. I'm anxious to see if it works.

June 4, 2011 11:53 AM

Valtrex has been great. I have not had an outbreak in almost two years since taking it, it has almost been like a cure. The only downside is that the pills are big but I think that is a small price to pay for what it does!

April 15, 2010 10:19 PM

I have been having more outbreaks (stress, depression, weight gain, PCOS), so I am on 1 gram of Valtrex a day as suppression. I started with an ulcer in my mouth and lip swelling, so I took 2 pills today and poof - almost gone. I have no side effects from the medication. I am happy there is a generic now that is much cheaper. I just hate that it is a big pill and that is the only reason I don't rate medication a 10.

April 1, 2010 9:27 PM

I am 60 years old, female, have had many very painful breakouts over the last 15 yrs. I have weakened immune system. Finally after two breakouts within 2 months, I am now on 500 mg valacyclovir every night. So far, no problems except I have gained weight and feel tired all the time, but I take other medicines that cause this also. I recommend it highly.

September 14, 2009 11:33 PM

Review by No Problem:

One 500 mg Valtrex a day and I did not have any outbreaks for more than one year. I had a newborn son and herpes can kill a child under 3 months. I decided to take Valtrex everyday. It worked and I was not aware of any side effects at all.

July 10, 2008 3:55 AM

I take Valtrex everyday no sign of break out what so ever it's awesome.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2008 2:30 AM

I take Valtrex for suppressive therapy. My daily life is so much more manageable emotionally and physically since taking Valtrex as a suppressive treatment. For those who suffer with this virus, you will understand how our lows are very low when experiencing regular outbreaks. Valtrex allows my condition to be a minor inconvenience and no longer a dark lonely place. I now experience an outbreak twice yearly.

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2008 9:07 AM