User Reviews for Famciclovir

Also known as: Famvir

Learn more about Famciclovir.

Cold Sores 15 reviews 32 medications

9.2
Herpes Simplex, Suppression 2 reviews 2 medications

Herpes Simplex, Muco...nocompetent Host 4 reviews 2 medications

8.2
Herpes Zoster 3 reviews 10 medications

7.3
Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Famciclovir reviews 24 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Famciclovir

For Cold Sores: "A friend told me about these tablets the last time i was suffering from a cold sore. At the time it was already too late to take the meds cos it was in full force so I kept the idea in mind for next time. Last Tuesday early morning I felt the coldsore coming out, went to the chemist as soon as it opened and took the 3 tablets (1500mg). By Thursday it was already crusting up and by Saturday (had a wedding to attend) I could cover it up with make up pretty well. I cannot believe how quick this medication works, it saved me a whole week of suffering unnecessarily, not to mention saved me from the embarrassment at my friends wedding. Now I have a spare packet at home, this will change my life!"

EM1981 June 25, 2015

For Cold Sores: "I was getting attacked by cold sores even though I was taking Acyclovir. My Dr had me try Famcyclovir and since I started on it a year and half ago, I've gotten maybe 3 incidences."

Ssimmo April 23, 2015

For Cold Sores: "Outbreak commenced on Sunday - I took the 1500mg dose as soon as I suspected it was a cold sore. The outbreak progressed and on Monday I could feel/see the bumps/redness and the itching was getting much worse. Today (Tuesday) the bumps are nearly gone and the redness is abating with no abnormal sensations. Wonderful to have this product after 30 years of living with cold sores that last for 14 days from start/finish."

MikeyOz March 16, 2015

For Cold Sores: "I rarely get a cold sore (normally once every two or three years), but when I do they are mostly quite large and last for at least a week. So when one popped up in the morning and had already started to blister I went to the chemist straight away. He suggested I try this (1500mg one dose). Wow did it work, cut the time in half and scabbed alot quicker. I continued using cream as well. Only downside was on the day of medication I felt quite drowsy and had a mild nagging headache until the next morning. But so worth it. I will be taking this everytime from now on!"

redhorse1984 February 9, 2015

For Cold Sores: "I get at least three cold sores a year usually around wintertime. Now I get the pills prescribed by my doctor and have extra on hand to take when I first see signs of cold sores. I never catch it at tingling stage so I can only review what it does after taking when blisters already formed. My symptoms would last 10-14 days without this med. it goes swollen and painful and gross too. But with this med, I only get a red patch for 3-4 days and then it's gone. It's amazing!"

Eq2008 January 28, 2015

For Cold Sores: "Usually cold sore lasts well over a week for me, getting quite large and unsightly. But famciclovir tablets absolutely crush them. Last no longer than 3-4 days depending on how quick I identify the cold sore coming and take the tablets. Healing and turn around time is awesome, the best product I have ever used for cold sores! Always keep them on hand now."

RD321 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2014

For Cold Sores: "I was impressed! My cold sore had gotten to the 2nd day when it was blistering and weeping - took 1500mg as a single dose and within the same 24 hour period the cold sore had stopped blistering completely, dried up and formed a healthy scab. After 48 hours the scab had fallen off and new skin was underneath. Impressed. Next time I'm using this wonderful medication when I get the "tingle". I'm usually not impressed by medications but this particular medicine works a treat for cold sores and it's available over the counter."

Allan8900 July 4, 2014

For Cold Sores: "As a baby I cut open my lips on a road in Africa, ever since then I have suffered with cold sores year to year, about 3 to four each year. I tried every cream on the market. One day my doctor gave me a script to buy Famvir and wow. The tingle sting went away in less than 24hrs. And after a couple of days the cold sores were healing and almost gone. This works so much better than the creams! Cause if you are not careful, you can infect other areas of your mouth with your fingers as you apply the cream. When fighting a cold sore, get heaps of sleep, spoil yourself with sleep. So happy that now in Australia, I can buy this product over the counter and don't have to visit my doctor every time."

Joshua Nagel January 30, 2014

For Cold Sores: "I have experienced 1 cold sore ever two years, this year I've had 1 already due to a lip burn, just recently I had another burn to the lip from food, I went to the chemist to see what was available for fast acting treatment (I normally use Zovirax ointment which is fabulous) but I thought there may be something else. I was recommended famciclovir. The second day after the 3 tablet once of dosage I had extreme gas pain in my abdomen. It was the only thing I feel could have caused it. I took the dose on the first day I noticed the cold sore, it's now day 3 and it's simply a dry red patch. Amazing medication, of course I was using Zovirax too. But I recommend it!"

Furburger November 16, 2013

Famvir (famciclovir) for Cold Sores: "Went to dermatologist 3 days after first sign was only using Abreva with no results. He suggested 1500mg Famvir now, and gave me 3 more to take at the first sign of additional outbreak in the future. Within one day the swelling had gone away and the blister was starting to clear up. I have used other treatments but nowhere as fast and effective as this product."

Happy camper July 16, 2013

For Herpes Zoster: "On Wednesday I noticed I had swollen lymph nodes in my neck and a spot on my eyebrow that was red and sore. On Saturday I went to see a doctor and he immediately recognized it as shingles and got me started on famciclovir and 600mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours. I took both medications religiously (shingles is nothing to mess around with). Over the next 3 days the spot on my eyebrow blistered and then scabbed over, my eye swelled up, and I started to develop another spot on my forehead. On day 4 the swelling was noticeably reduced and was completely gone by day 6. The second place on my forehead never blistered or scabbed over. I didn't experience any side effects. Worked great for me (29 yr old female)."

Anonymous December 10, 2011

Famvir (famciclovir) for Cold Sores: "I've started medication June 24, 2011 of two 500mg tabs a day and I still have had 6 outbreaks in less than four months. Yes, healing time is faster but I would like to have less outbreaks like 1 to none a year."

miserable131313 October 6, 2011

For Herpes Zoster: "Side effects were serious enough to warrant a concurrent dose of prednisone. Condition was shingles, upper left body quadrant. Welts, blisters, itching, pain. One week on the medicine was insufficient to clear it up. Side effects included persistent headache, nausea, diarrhea and serious swelling/itching on the palms of my hands. "

Anonymous September 6, 2011

Famvir (famciclovir) for Cold Sores: "Causes major headaches for me."

Anonymous May 8, 2011

Famvir (famciclovir) for Cold Sores: "Had cold sores since I was in primary school and am now 18. Take a dosage of 1500mg of Famvir in one dose. Works great for me and stops the virus, leaving only a red mark for about 3 days. Side effects: tiredness, nothing serious though."

will18 August 11, 2010

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompetent Host: "Excellent medicine, effective and no side effects."

Anonymous June 18, 2010

Famvir (famciclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompetent Host: "Stopped a lip breakout within an hour. I had gastric stasis from a migraine and I did not get nauseated from this medication."

bonsense September 17, 2009

Famvir (famciclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I took Famvir for cold sores ... it is effective and worked fast. "

Anonymous March 8, 2009

Famvir (famciclovir) for Cold Sores: "It worked great for me. 1500mg in one shot, the swelling was almost gone the same day and it healed quickly. What a relief? That was 10 days ago."

Anonymous January 11, 2009

Famvir (famciclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompetent Host: "I have been taken Famvir for a year. I had multiple outbreaks in the past, but I take Famvir daily and I have only had 2 mild outbreaks within a year. It really helps not having the pain and depression with outbreaks. It is a great medication and made my life better."

sarasotamel September 25, 2008

Famvir (famciclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Famvir works the best. I have a lot less breakouts, and when one is coming on I take it and it is gone within a day. I don't have any side effects like I did with the others (headaches and breakouts). It is worth the money."

Anonymous July 22, 2008

Famvir (famciclovir) for Herpes Zoster: "Helped very bad shingles outbreak in about 3 days."

Daisy May June 1, 2008

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompetent Host: "I used to have canker sore pain for two weeks that was so bad I could not talk or eat without constant pain. Now, as soon as I feel a sore or more that hurts a lot, I start my treatment of 1 pill per day for 5 days and the pain is reduced to a very tolerable amount. The pain goes away in a few days altogether. I only use the pills for the very painful outbreaks. Some sores don't warrant the need to risk unneccessary medicine. I know when it is time to start medicating when the pain consumes."

Anonymous May 26, 2008

Famvir (famciclovir) for Cold Sores: "I have suffered from embarrissing cold sores for years. My doctor told me about a single day dose of Famvir (1500mg). He wrote me a script so that I have them on hand when I feel an outbreak coming. I soon as I feel the outbreak, I initiate the therapy and the cold sore does nothing more than get a little red for a day or so. No more full blow outbreaks, this has been wonderful."

Anonymous March 14, 2008