User Reviews for Acyclovir

Also known as: Sitavig, Zovirax

Learn more about Acyclovir.

Mononucleosis 2 reviews 0 medications

8.3
Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Acyclovir reviews 78 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Acyclovir

For Herpes Simplex: "I suddenly keep getn these horrible cold sores like I was slit with a razor outside in like half inch splits that sting so bad n a couple times I've gotten a single sore down unda that hurts n is red. I go as long as I can bare it n sometimes it goes away on its own quickly but wen It doesn't I take one of my sisters acyclovir's a day n 9times outa 10 it goes away within a few days. I now take lysine with my daily vitamins. U cant just take vitamins wen u need em u gota take em daily so wen u get sick or watever they've already built up in ur system. I skipped a few days last week n i already got 2cold sores. Abreva only works if u use it at the 1st sign of a cold sore, once the sores there it will not work n that's a big waist of money"

cold sore queen (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 13, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "Ive been diagnosed with this about 2 maybe 3 weeks ago ...my boyfriend gave it to me i found out when he had a breakout....the night before we had sex so we both went to the er to find out whats wrong ....I have not had a break out was on the 5 pill a day thing but my body couldnt handle it so the doctor put me on the pill i time a day ....idk whats going on but now I cant pee ive been trying to pee for 14 hours...ut feels like I have to go then when I sit on the toilet nothing but a few drops come out"

Leah211 (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I have used this product for a year. The biggest problem with this medication is finding a pharmacy that can get it. I have only had to order it twice. The first time was from one big pharmacy. When I went to get it refilled, they couldn't get it. I then found a local small town pharmacy. I was able to order it one time, tried to re-order it and they can no longer get it. I WILL find another place to buy it. This is the only thing that I can honestly say works. I have had 4 flare ups in a year. Only one time did it not take it away within a few hours. And, that is because I didn't catch it soon enough. It does work better when you use it as soon as you feel a cold sore coming on. I highly recommend this pill if you can get it. Use the coupon."

Bobbiejd March 7, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "I was diagnosed with HSV-2 five years ago. I had hardly any symptoms until now. I was not in a sexual relationship but this week I had sex after my menstrual cycle. I had my first outbreak, it was horrible. I felt so depressed. I had all kinds of blisters in private places. Very very painful, it was hard to walk, sit sleep, go to the bathroom. I searched the web for treatment. First I tried tea tree oil, that was too harsh down there. Then I took 6,000 mg of Lysine, that did not help at all. Took 3,000 mg vitamin C, nothing. I felt that white vinegar helped a bit and cornstarch was soothing. I took 2 Epsom salt baths a day and that was soothing also. The only thing that helped was Acyclovir all symptoms went away right away."

anonmmmm March 4, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I have been taking acyclovair 800mg everyday for about 13 years and I never have outbreaks. I would suggest to everyone to take acyclovair as suppressive therapy rather than waiting to feel the tingle and then treating the virus. I forget it even exists as I never have outbreaks or suffer with any symptoms. If I don't take it, after about 1 week I will start to feel the tingle. Anyways this medicine has helped me live symptom free for many years. I highly suggest anyone suffering to take it as suppressive therapy. It's so much better never even having to deal with that first tingle! And to everyone experiencing an outbreak for the first time, rest assured the first time is the worst. It does get better and easier to manage. I feel for you!!"

Itgetsbetter1234 February 26, 2016

For Cold Sores: "Skip the Abreva and ask your doctor to prescribe a bottle of this stuff instead. It's the only thing that really works. I rarely get BAD cold sores, but I just got hit with a really terrible one. Came on so fast I barely had time to take this pill in time. I've read that Acyclovir only works if you haven't blistered yet, which had already happened. IT STILL WORKED PRETTY WELL. It definitely changed how the cold sore is healing. It went straight from "puffing" up into a blister, to scabbing over. It also seems to be reducing the redness and swelling. I'm taking it 3x daily in conjunction with L-Lysine, and occasionally dabbing the cold sore with alcohol to dry it up. Overall, really happy with this medication."

Emma Ann February 26, 2016

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I took it to the pharmacy and I was told it was going to be $400. I called my dermatologist and they told me to use the rebate card and it should be $35. I went back to the pharmacy and sure enough after I insisted what the cost should be I got two tablets for $35. I have not had a cold sore in six months which is unusual because I usually get one every 2 to 3 months."

Brad1992 February 26, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "I have been taking generic (cheap) acyclovir for 52 years. I am 67 and contracted the herpes simplex while out in the sun at age 15. Consequently, I have not been sunbathing for 52 years and look like I am 50. There have been no side effects and I take this every day--800 mg. When I stop, I get an outbreak. Tried to go off it last year and had 5 outbreaks in 4 months. So now back on. Take it the minute I feel a tingle, 5 a day for 5 days and no problems. But still wear 70 sunscreen."

suporto February 19, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "I have been on Acyclovir for 3 days following a first outbreak of genital herpes - having never suffered with anxiety or depression, I've been crying about an hour after taking each pill. Feeling anxious, depressed , sweating, abdominal pain, short-tempered and very nauseous. Mood swings aren't in the side effects but they should be, as countless other people on similar forums have experienced the same."

katdef124 January 13, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "I have breakouts on my nose, I used to dance and thought it would be cute to bend down, while on stage and brush there nose with mine. That turned out not so good, I wish I wasn't so nieve. I've been living with them for about 6 years and when they came out with sitavig, that's really good. I only breakout about every 2 years, when stressed or if it's really hot."

Somebody that has it January 13, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "I am 19 years old and I just got diagnosed this 2 days ago. Someone took advantage because I was drunk he began stroking and I jumped up about 2 minutes into it. He was a creep all the way around but that's the only person I've could've got it from and I'm positive about that. Now I can't get in contact with the boy and my life is torn apart. I honestly so upset about this because this pain is so unbearable it hurts, burns, and itches to stand up, sit down, walk, etc. when I urine it burns super bad, and I am in misery. I can't deal with this for the rest of my life. I haven't even been showering because it burns so bad. I just started the meds 400 mg/8 hrs no progress yet though. Any suggestions???"

Tamekiaa (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was diagnosed almost 2 and a half years ago and have been taking daily suppression since. This medicine works like a charm. I haven't had any full on outbreaks since taking it, and sometimes I would even forget to take it for a few days with no issue. There have been a couple of instances where I felt one coming on, but that only ever happened during the "few days I didn't take it". When that happened, I would just double up on the dosage until I didn't feel it anymore. The only reason I give it a 9 is because you have to take it twice daily, whereas for Valacyclovir, you only need it once daily. However, valocyclovir is a lot more expensive, and taking acyclovir twice daily will do the same thing. Just have to remember to take them!"

kayjay123 January 5, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "This drug has helped keep outbreaks to a minimum. I rarely, if ever suffer with this horrible disease anymore. I'm 68, and had my first outbreak at age 28. At first I only took the medicine when I noticed the first signs of an outbreak. For me, that was a pain in my upper leg, like I had pulled a muscle. It worked ok, but didn't completely keep the outbreak from happening. For more than 20 years now, I've been taking 400MG's 2 times a day. Good effective medicine? Perhaps. It could also mean that when I was younger there was more sexual activity and more stress = more outbreaks."

2xday (taken for 10 years or more) December 6, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I love this medication. I've always used abreva but decided to get a prescription because abreva took forever to kick in. I recently had an outbreak because of stress at work. It started with one blister. I put the ointment and it went away in 24 hours with a minimal scab. I then had another outbreak 2 days after. This one also went away immediately with a minimal scab. The same weekend I got a bad outbreak where my lip swole up as well. I applied the ointment at night. The next day by 6pm the swelling was gone and the blisters became a tiny scab. I LOVE this ointment."

SmileA December 1, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "complete waste of time to take this stuff. doesnt do anything"

bullinski November 24, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I'm 52 married and thought I had a UTI so my Dr was treating me for that, a year later I found out my husband gave me herpes. I had a small outbreak last year but through it was from my new soap and another out break this year. My husband never had a outbreak but tested positive and decided to share he had an affair. This medicine has been a true blessing to me because I don't have anymore pain or side effects. Now I can concentrate on my divorce."

jobo60 November 20, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompetent Host: "I first was inflicted with Herpes Simplex in my right eye over 35 year ago. Treatment then consisted of getting rid of the virus including steroids and then weening off all meds. Much similar now but Dr. prescribed Acyclovir to protect against the re-occurance. Ever since I started taking the drug, my eye socket aches, my eye waters and is red, plus I get occasional hot flash. My Dr has cut my dose in half from 400ml to 200 ml. but i still have the symptoms. I will go back and request an alternative medication."

Vetera Herpes Simplex Victim (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2015

For Cold Sores: "I've never struggled with cold sores has much as I did the past week I started with one and it went away with aberva than the next morning I woke up with another one. It was so painful the aberva didn't work any house hold remedies I tried failed. It got the point where I couldn't take it anymore I went to the doctor and got the acyclovir ointment ( and I did take the pills as well just because the level of pain I had was horrible and to make sure it wouldn't spread) but the ointment does work very well I put in on 4-6 times the day got the ointment and the pain went away and it started to scab the next day. I 100% recommend this!"

m!st (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I started with feeling like I had a cut in my genitial area at first, was tested at urgent care for herpes (doctor said it doesn't look like herpes) he came back telling me I had herpes two days later, I was then explained I have genital herpes, went to my gyn and was told I don't have genital herpes but herpes simplex. I was prescribed this drug and have never had an outbreak on my mouth before and so far I have had three oral outbreaks while taking 400mg twice daily. Within 23 days of use....? I want to try taking 400mg in the morning and 800mg at night now because this is not helping me. Haven't had any breakouts anywhere else though. Now bf has a cold sore as well. I need more than this."

SDRV (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I'm 25 years old, When I first realized something was wrong was when I felt like I had a cut down on my genital area, I then realized there was a new form of a bump and then the itching came along and the burning sensation when I used the restroom. I decided to see the clinic because i knew something was wrong. She ran tests which I am still waiting for to come in this week, but from what she said, she said it looks like Herpes. She prescribed me acyclovir 400mg this past Monday which was two days ago. I have to take one ever 12 hours. It seems to work for so long, like a few hours, but i am still feeling the pain, and I feel like more bumps have appeared. I'm terrified. I still have burning sensation. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2015

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "This medication is kind of cool. A tablet that can stick on your gums? My only complaint is that it takes a LONG time to dissolve- over 12 hours. If you've ever had braces, it's nothing, but just annoying especially when you try to eat, brush your teeth, or drink water. I'd recommend doing it right before bed if at all possible. Unfortunately, I took it a couple days after I got a cold sore since it's a prescription and you can't see most doctors immediately. I will say, I can tell the healing process happened quicker with this medication. The above comment is false, as several insurance companies will cover the majority of the cost. I paid $35 for two pills... (Not like that's cheap but definitely better than paying $300 or w/o insurance)."

E girl (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I got herpes in my twenties and am now 62. Every few years it still flares up, usually from stress. This drug 200 mg 3x per day is a godsend. The blisters clear up almost overnight. No side effects."

oldgirl (taken for 10 years or more) July 24, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "In my 70's now, thanks to my ex-wife who gave me herpes 10 years ago, I have to take acyclovir every day for past 10 years.. If I don't I will have a breakout if I skip a day. I am most fortunate than others. I get my sores on my lower back only. The outbreaks are rare but are brought on by stress. Wish there was an alternative, but none have been proven to work."

Senior Outbreak (taken for 10 years or more) July 21, 2015

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "$435.00 for 2 pills? My doctor had a coupon for $400.00 but still...It seemed to help some but not worth the money. Insurance would not cover."

whoozat July 3, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I got diagnosed with genital herpes last year around september and I got prescribed acyclovir and the initial outbreak was HELL! I was in so much pain with teeny tiny barely visible blisters around private area. But anyways, I started taking the pills, 3 a day and after a couple of days, the outbreak cleared up completely. I feel tingling around my bits like every month, when my period comes on and take the pills and the tingling goes away with a small blister barely noticeable. The pills don't cure the outbreaks but they do make them bare able and waaaaaaay less annoying. Sometimes you'll forget completely about it."

DeezBurningNuttz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2015