User Reviews for Acyclovir

Also known as: Sitavig, Zovirax

Learn more about Acyclovir.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...nocompetent Host 0 reviews 2 medications

Infectious Mononucleosis 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Varicella-Zoster 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Acyclovir reviews 51 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Acyclovir

For Herpes Simplex: "It is an effective remedy but the side effects in my case were worse than the problem. There was a point after about a week on the drug that I thought I was going to die. Daily it got worse and I felt very tired all the time and it caused severe dizziness, trouble breathing and while I was lying in bed I was woke up with a terrible feeling that I was passing out and could not go back to sleep and just lay there with the feeling of my head swirling."

Dada1111 (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I have been on this pill now for three days after suffering an attack for almost a week, I am feeling much better. The tingling and itching have reduced. Anti itch medicated cream from the 99 cent store really helped with the itching. I am just a lil tired and feel a little achy. I will take that anytime than the feeling of this painful virus."

mercy36 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "Acyclovir 800 tab 4 times a day for 5 days. First pill stopped the cold sore in its tracks it immediately stopped growing with just the first pill. Second day the tingling phase stopped, they erupted, and by the end of the 2nd day they were drying out. I had to stop at the end of day 2 due to this medicine being too strong for my stomach. I ended up with a gastritis flare up, terrible stomach pain, diarrhea and nausea. If it wasn't for that, this medicine would get 10/10!"

VanessaBoo February 25, 2015

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Easy quick to use, expensive but the best product available. All insurance companies do not cover it which is very unfortunate."

Killthecoldsore (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 24, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I used to get cold sores four or five times a year, sometimes more often (especially when I was dealing with the stress of college). They would appear at the most frustrating times! I tried a bunch of alternative remedies, per the recommendations of friends and family, including L-lysine and tea tree oil. I even found myself putting nail polish remover on my lips (word to the wise: don't do that). Finally, I explained to a doctor how often I was getting outbreaks and how bad they were, and they prescribed 200mg of acyclovir a day as a suppressant. It didn't seem to do anything; the cold sores kept coming. Then, another doctor upped my dose to 400mg twice a day. I didn't get a cold sore for almost five years!"

CharlotteLinnae January 21, 2015

For Herpes Zoster: "Even though acyclovir was started 8 days after symptoms started, the rash was almost gone within 7 days and should be completely healed in 10."

Harksgirl (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2014

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Love this medication has almost completely stopped all outbreaks, was having them about six to eight times a year mostly brought on by stress or my period, now taking acyclovir I'm outbreak free no side effects noticed."

AprilLou November 13, 2014

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was exposed 25 years ago. When I notice a change in my vaginal secretions, sorry for being graphic, I begin taking the medication which stops any zoosters from forming after only 2 days worth of meds. Costco has the best price in my area and no membership required to use the pharmacy."

Texas girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 16, 2014

For Herpes Simplex: "I took acyclovir 400mg 5 times a day 4 hours after tingling. Completely gone in 2 days. But what is weird is it worked only one time, it never worked again. I have had ten more since the first time it worked. I did try it again on a few separate outbreaks it never even slowed it down."

Jare (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2014

For Herpes Simplex: "I started taking acyclovir 2 days ago and I Already feel better my outbreak is 90% clear and so far no side effects. I take 800mg 5 times a day for 7 days...O and I take it for having the shingles which is like herpes"

anonymous 327 (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2014

For Herpes Simplex: "I was prescribed this medication a few months ago and I absolutely love it. Whenever I feel a cold sore coming on, I take three 400mg tablets every 8 hours (the recommended dose by my doctor) and it stops the cold sore right in its tracks. If I'm lucky, I catch the cold sore in the tingling stage and immediently take the pills, and that usually stops the cold sore from breaking out. If I do end up getting a cold sore, I keep using the pills and it Speeds up the process and stops the cold sore from growing any bigger. This medication is amazing and I am so glad to finally have found something that actually works, as I am almost 20 years old and have been suffering from cold sores since age 4."

Candyy March 26, 2014

For Herpes Zoster: "I had a random herpes zoster outbreak (shingles) on my back and was prescribed 800mg 5x day for 7 days. It dried up my blisters within two days and I healed nicely. I did however have headaches and dry mouth with severe nausea and vomiting the last two days on the medication. Those are side effects and being that I was on a strong dose, these side effects really affected me."

MS1586 March 13, 2014

For Herpes Simplex: "I've experienced cold sores ever since i was 13 years old, but being a college student now and constantly stressed out ive been getting them more frequently. I tried everything from abreva, all the house remedies, and ointments, but none of them worked. So i got prescribed to the 400mg dose and these pills do wonders! I felt the bump yesterday and the first stage of the blister had started and i took the dosage i was prescribed and woke up today with the bump the same size. So i took another one and within two hours it was completely gone. I am so happy to have found something that finally works"

Liz730222 January 21, 2014

For Herpes Simplex: "I have been plagued by cold sores since I was 14 years old and have struggled at finding any effective medication, including Abreva. A year ago I could feel an outbreak coming and did some research online and found acyclovir. I read the reviews and figured I'd try it. Within 24 hours my forming cold sore stopped and began to heal and shrink, within 3 days it was almost non existent. Yesterday I woke up and realized over night with no notice a huge sore had formed and the virus was on full unrestricted attack. Went out, got Acyclovir and again, within 24hours what was bound to be a huge long drawn out cold sore had stopped, shrunk and began healing. Acyclovir with Abreva has proved to be a miracle. TRY IT! P.S No side effects for me."

Unavailablee January 9, 2014

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "My face has developed more cystic adult acne that takes longer to heal. My eye whites have yellowish tint. I notice I bruise easy and minor injuries take a long time to heal. I have lost weight (the good part) I feel fatigued frequently and lack energy"

Dolce Vita (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 14, 2013

For Mononucleosis: "I had some unusual herpes-like symptoms that came with my mononucleosis, and they prescribed this to me thinking that even if it did not help, it would not hurt me. I had found astonishing results and it made all my symptoms less drastic and made me get over it much faster."

zombielizzy June 6, 2013

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompromised Host: "My daughter is 5 years old & has a primary immunodeficiency (natural killer cell deficiency). When she takes this medicine for the treatment of her HSV (oral), her chronic HSV is less severe, and although new ones do form, they fade away very quickly and at some points, her face is clear. She has taken it for as long as 5 weeks at a time and will begin taking prophylactic doses of this medication (long term) by next month. We (my husband and myself) believe that her initial outbreak of HSV was caused by the Varicella vaccine. Later blood tests revealed her immunodeficiency."

Brand2008 April 19, 2013

For Herpes Simplex: "I have been on the medicine for almost 2 years now and I have only had 3 outbreaks so far, don't know what causes them but I start taking my meds 3 times a day with an outbreak and hope it works."

hopeful 1 April 16, 2013

For Herpes Simplex: "I woke up early in the morning and felt the tingle of a new cold sore. I went to the doc and got a prescription within the hour and took my first 400 mg pill of acyclovir. I used Abreva right when I felt it and a few times that night. I took 3 pills over the course of the first day. When I woke up the next morning the bump had not gotten bigger but had not gotten smaller either. It was hardly noticeable I should add. I took 3 more pills over the course of the second day and the bump has not grown any bigger. I woke up the 3rd morning and it has shrunk in size. I encourage everyone to get a large stock of acyclovir and take it IMMEDIATELY when the tingle is felt. Even if it is just maybe a cold sore. It is totally worth it."

Occasional (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2013

For Herpes Zoster: "So far after one pill, and 34 more to go (5 a day) it feels like the needles are still stabbing me in the upper back. I'm 46 and I had my first outbreak of shingles when I was 17. I had the full blown blisters and all - Knives was the feeling then. The Doc just changed my script from Famvir to this Acyclovir I hope it will work the same. Mine are 800mg 5 times a day and they gave me three refills. They don't know what to do with me."

Tricia Robello April 4, 2013

For Herpes Simplex: "I used to get Cold Sores rarely, but more stress & it's been a nightmare! On top of that I kept missing work whenever I got breakouts (for a week at a time) because I'm a Spokemodel. I started to get desperate, because I couldn't be reliable for work & started losing huge amounts of my income. Plus Cold Sores are a major bummer to go through. Finally talked to my Dr. I've been taking only 200mg a day. Then a few days ago, I took a chance and tanned my face & whammo I started getting a breakout. As soon as it came on I dosed up the Acyclovir and iced it for 2hrs. This stopped the sore in it's tracks. It disappeared completely and I am cold sore free! I can't tell you how relieved I am at how well this medicine works!"

ocsunshine (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2012

For Herpes Simplex: "I have been taking Acyclovir for almost 2 years now. I believe it to work because I've only had 1 outbreak in the 2 years. I was given the option to take 200mg every 4 hours. (equals 5 a day) for 5 days when an outbreak occurs or to take everyday but I have only taken for the 1 outbreak."

SmittyE (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 12, 2012

For : "I am taking for prophylaxis of shingles with chemotherapy treatment. No side effects, one of the easier pills to take."

hat_hat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 21, 2012

Zovirax (acyclovir) for Herpes Zoster: "I've had shingles a total of 6 times because I am immuno-compromised. Each time it was the same area of my back and wrapping around my side to my stomach. I do not recall the first few outbreaks as it was during a time I was so ill that I am basically missing a few months of my life because I was not alert at all during that time. I do recall the last 4 outbreaks. One of the doctors and I have a theory about why I did not notice the burning, itching etc that tends to be very painful and annoying for most people. The meds I am already on. I take pain meds around the clock already as well as taking gabapentin which helps nerve pain. Now on 200mg/day to prevent recurrence. I don't seem to have any issues with medication taken daily."

wayney (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 19, 2012

For Herpes Simplex: "If you get a cold sore outbreak in your mouth. Don't walk, RUN to the nearest medical practitioner that can give you a prescription of Acyclovir. Usually an outbreak would last me 3 weeks with just using over the counter creams. With the medication, my mouth was back to normal after 4 days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2012