User Reviews for Acyclovir

Also known as: Sitavig, Zovirax

Learn more about Acyclovir.

Mononucleosis 2 reviews 0 medications

8.2
Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Acyclovir reviews 68 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Acyclovir

For Herpes Simplex: "I have been on Acyclovir for 3 days following a first outbreak of genital herpes - having never suffered with anxiety or depression, I've been crying about an hour after taking each pill. Feeling anxious, depressed , sweating, abdominal pain, short-tempered and very nauseous. Mood swings aren't in the side effects but they should be, as countless other people on similar forums have experienced the same."

katdef124 January 13, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was diagnosed almost 2 and a half years ago and have been taking daily suppression since. This medicine works like a charm. I haven't had any full on outbreaks since taking it, and sometimes I would even forget to take it for a few days with no issue. There have been a couple of instances where I felt one coming on, but that only ever happened during the "few days I didn't take it". When that happened, I would just double up on the dosage until I didn't feel it anymore. The only reason I give it a 9 is because you have to take it twice daily, whereas for Valacyclovir, you only need it once daily. However, valocyclovir is a lot more expensive, and taking acyclovir twice daily will do the same thing. Just have to remember to take them!"

kayjay123 January 5, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "This drug has helped keep outbreaks to a minimum. I rarely, if ever suffer with this horrible disease anymore. I'm 68, and had my first outbreak at age 28. At first I only took the medicine when I noticed the first signs of an outbreak. For me, that was a pain in my upper leg, like I had pulled a muscle. It worked ok, but didn't completely keep the outbreak from happening. For more than 20 years now, I've been taking 400MG's 2 times a day. Good effective medicine? Perhaps. It could also mean that when I was younger there was more sexual activity and more stress = more outbreaks."

2xday (taken for 10 years or more) December 6, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I love this medication. I've always used abreva but decided to get a prescription because abreva took forever to kick in. I recently had an outbreak because of stress at work. It started with one blister. I put the ointment and it went away in 24 hours with a minimal scab. I then had another outbreak 2 days after. This one also went away immediately with a minimal scab. The same weekend I got a bad outbreak where my lip swole up as well. I applied the ointment at night. The next day by 6pm the swelling was gone and the blisters became a tiny scab. I LOVE this ointment."

SmileA December 1, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "complete waste of time to take this stuff. doesnt do anything"

bullinski November 24, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I'm 52 married and thought I had a UTI so my Dr was treating me for that, a year later I found out my husband gave me herpes. I had a small outbreak last year but through it was from my new soap and another out break this year. My husband never had a outbreak but tested positive and decided to share he had an affair. This medicine has been a true blessing to me because I don't have anymore pain or side effects. Now I can concentrate on my divorce."

jobo60 November 20, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompetent Host: "I first was inflicted with Herpes Simplex in my right eye over 35 year ago. Treatment then consisted of getting rid of the virus including steroids and then weening off all meds. Much similar now but Dr. prescribed Acyclovir to protect against the re-occurance. Ever since I started taking the drug, my eye socket aches, my eye waters and is red, plus I get occasional hot flash. My Dr has cut my dose in half from 400ml to 200 ml. but i still have the symptoms. I will go back and request an alternative medication."

Vetera Herpes Simplex Victim (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2015

For Cold Sores: "I've never struggled with cold sores has much as I did the past week I started with one and it went away with aberva than the next morning I woke up with another one. It was so painful the aberva didn't work any house hold remedies I tried failed. It got the point where I couldn't take it anymore I went to the doctor and got the acyclovir ointment ( and I did take the pills as well just because the level of pain I had was horrible and to make sure it wouldn't spread) but the ointment does work very well I put in on 4-6 times the day got the ointment and the pain went away and it started to scab the next day. I 100% recommend this!"

m!st (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I started with feeling like I had a cut in my genitial area at first, was tested at urgent care for herpes (doctor said it doesn't look like herpes) he came back telling me I had herpes two days later, I was then explained I have genital herpes, went to my gyn and was told I don't have genital herpes but herpes simplex. I was prescribed this drug and have never had an outbreak on my mouth before and so far I have had three oral outbreaks while taking 400mg twice daily. Within 23 days of use....? I want to try taking 400mg in the morning and 800mg at night now because this is not helping me. Haven't had any breakouts anywhere else though. Now bf has a cold sore as well. I need more than this."

SDRV (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I'm 25 years old, When I first realized something was wrong was when I felt like I had a cut down on my genital area, I then realized there was a new form of a bump and then the itching came along and the burning sensation when I used the restroom. I decided to see the clinic because i knew something was wrong. She ran tests which I am still waiting for to come in this week, but from what she said, she said it looks like Herpes. She prescribed me acyclovir 400mg this past Monday which was two days ago. I have to take one ever 12 hours. It seems to work for so long, like a few hours, but i am still feeling the pain, and I feel like more bumps have appeared. I'm terrified. I still have burning sensation. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2015

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "This medication is kind of cool. A tablet that can stick on your gums? My only complaint is that it takes a LONG time to dissolve- over 12 hours. If you've ever had braces, it's nothing, but just annoying especially when you try to eat, brush your teeth, or drink water. I'd recommend doing it right before bed if at all possible. Unfortunately, I took it a couple days after I got a cold sore since it's a prescription and you can't see most doctors immediately. I will say, I can tell the healing process happened quicker with this medication. The above comment is false, as several insurance companies will cover the majority of the cost. I paid $35 for two pills... (Not like that's cheap but definitely better than paying $300 or w/o insurance)."

E girl (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I got herpes in my twenties and am now 62. Every few years it still flares up, usually from stress. This drug 200 mg 3x per day is a godsend. The blisters clear up almost overnight. No side effects."

oldgirl (taken for 10 years or more) July 24, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "In my 70's now, thanks to my ex-wife who gave me herpes 10 years ago, I have to take acyclovir every day for past 10 years.. If I don't I will have a breakout if I skip a day. I am most fortunate than others. I get my sores on my lower back only. The outbreaks are rare but are brought on by stress. Wish there was an alternative, but none have been proven to work."

Senior Outbreak (taken for 10 years or more) July 21, 2015

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "$435.00 for 2 pills? My doctor had a coupon for $400.00 but still...It seemed to help some but not worth the money. Insurance would not cover."

whoozat July 3, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I got diagnosed with genital herpes last year around september and I got prescribed acyclovir and the initial outbreak was HELL! I was in so much pain with teeny tiny barely visible blisters around private area. But anyways, I started taking the pills, 3 a day and after a couple of days, the outbreak cleared up completely. I feel tingling around my bits like every month, when my period comes on and take the pills and the tingling goes away with a small blister barely noticeable. The pills don't cure the outbreaks but they do make them bare able and waaaaaaay less annoying. Sometimes you'll forget completely about it."

DeezBurningNuttz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I started getting cold sores about 2 years ago. I have tried everything...rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, nail polish remover, L-Lysine, bactine, abreva, ice, biotin...you name it and I've tried it. Nothing worked for me. Finally I sucked it up and went to a doctor about it and was prescribed acylvoir. I don't get any kind of tingle, so at the very first sign of a bump, I take 2 400mg pills, and then about 2 hours later I take 2 more. Within hours the bump is gone. This drug is a miracle!"

mlj27 June 21, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was exposed to herpes simplex 1 genitally one year ago. My first outbreak was minor and only lasted a week with no medication and disappeared with no medication. One year later I have a horrible outbreak very painful and doctor prescribed acyclovir 400mg 3 times a day. The medicine worked quickly and stopped itching after 1 day, sores healed after about 3-4 days. After I stopped taking the medication I had sex with must have irritated the area because I got another outbreak about one week later .. Started taking acyclovir again, exept this time I experienced unusual tiredness & nausea , I noticed that if my heart rate went up that I became short of breathe and felt like fainting .. Only took the drug, this outbreak, for about 3-4 days"

Cream8 May 26, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "It is an effective remedy but the side effects in my case were worse than the problem. There was a point after about a week on the drug that I thought I was going to die. Daily it got worse and I felt very tired all the time and it caused severe dizziness, trouble breathing and while I was lying in bed I was woke up with a terrible feeling that I was passing out and could not go back to sleep and just lay there with the feeling of my head swirling."

Dada1111 (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I have been on this pill now for three days after suffering an attack for almost a week, I am feeling much better. The tingling and itching have reduced. Anti itch medicated cream from the 99 cent store really helped with the itching. I am just a lil tired and feel a little achy. I will take that anytime than the feeling of this painful virus."

mercy36 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "Acyclovir 800 tab 4 times a day for 5 days. First pill stopped the cold sore in its tracks it immediately stopped growing with just the first pill. Second day the tingling phase stopped, they erupted, and by the end of the 2nd day they were drying out. I had to stop at the end of day 2 due to this medicine being too strong for my stomach. I ended up with a gastritis flare up, terrible stomach pain, diarrhea and nausea. If it wasn't for that, this medicine would get 10/10!"

VanessaBoo February 25, 2015

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Easy quick to use, expensive but the best product available. All insurance companies do not cover it which is very unfortunate."

Killthecoldsore (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 24, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I used to get cold sores four or five times a year, sometimes more often (especially when I was dealing with the stress of college). They would appear at the most frustrating times! I tried a bunch of alternative remedies, per the recommendations of friends and family, including L-lysine and tea tree oil. I even found myself putting nail polish remover on my lips (word to the wise: don't do that). Finally, I explained to a doctor how often I was getting outbreaks and how bad they were, and they prescribed 200mg of acyclovir a day as a suppressant. It didn't seem to do anything; the cold sores kept coming. Then, another doctor upped my dose to 400mg twice a day. I didn't get a cold sore for almost five years!"

CharlotteLinnae January 21, 2015

For Herpes Zoster: "Even though acyclovir was started 8 days after symptoms started, the rash was almost gone within 7 days and should be completely healed in 10."

Harksgirl (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2014

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Love this medication has almost completely stopped all outbreaks, was having them about six to eight times a year mostly brought on by stress or my period, now taking acyclovir I'm outbreak free no side effects noticed."

AprilLou November 13, 2014

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was exposed 25 years ago. When I notice a change in my vaginal secretions, sorry for being graphic, I begin taking the medication which stops any zoosters from forming after only 2 days worth of meds. Costco has the best price in my area and no membership required to use the pharmacy."

Texas girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 16, 2014