User Reviews for Acyclovir

Also known as: Sitavig, Zovirax

Learn more about Acyclovir.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...nocompetent Host 0 reviews 2 medications

Infectious Mononucleosis 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Varicella-Zoster 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Acyclovir reviews 58 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Acyclovir

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "This medication is kind of cool. A tablet that can stick on your gums? My only complaint is that it takes a LONG time to dissolve- over 12 hours. If you've ever had braces, it's nothing, but just annoying especially when you try to eat, brush your teeth, or drink water. I'd recommend doing it right before bed if at all possible. Unfortunately, I took it a couple days after I got a cold sore since it's a prescription and you can't see most doctors immediately. I will say, I can tell the healing process happened quicker with this medication. The above comment is false, as several insurance companies will cover the majority of the cost. I paid $35 for two pills... (Not like that's cheap but definitely better than paying $300 or w/o insurance)."

E girl (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I got herpes in my twenties and am now 62. Every few years it still flares up, usually from stress. This drug 200 mg 3x per day is a godsend. The blisters clear up almost overnight. No side effects."

oldgirl (taken for 10 years or more) July 24, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "In my 70's now, thanks to my ex-wife who gave me herpes 10 years ago, I have to take acyclovir every day for past 10 years.. If I don't I will have a breakout if I skip a day. I am most fortunate than others. I get my sores on my lower back only. The outbreaks are rare but are brought on by stress. Wish there was an alternative, but none have been proven to work."

Senior Outbreak (taken for 10 years or more) July 21, 2015

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "$435.00 for 2 pills? My doctor had a coupon for $400.00 but still...It seemed to help some but not worth the money. Insurance would not cover."

whoozat July 3, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I got diagnosed with genital herpes last year around september and I got prescribed acyclovir and the initial outbreak was HELL! I was in so much pain with teeny tiny barely visible blisters around private area. But anyways, I started taking the pills, 3 a day and after a couple of days, the outbreak cleared up completely. I feel tingling around my bits like every month, when my period comes on and take the pills and the tingling goes away with a small blister barely noticeable. The pills don't cure the outbreaks but they do make them bare able and waaaaaaay less annoying. Sometimes you'll forget completely about it."

DeezBurningNuttz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I started getting cold sores about 2 years ago. I have tried everything...rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, nail polish remover, L-Lysine, bactine, abreva, ice, biotin...you name it and I've tried it. Nothing worked for me. Finally I sucked it up and went to a doctor about it and was prescribed acylvoir. I don't get any kind of tingle, so at the very first sign of a bump, I take 2 400mg pills, and then about 2 hours later I take 2 more. Within hours the bump is gone. This drug is a miracle!"

mlj27 June 21, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was exposed to herpes simplex 1 genitally one year ago. My first outbreak was minor and only lasted a week with no medication and disappeared with no medication. One year later I have a horrible outbreak very painful and doctor prescribed acyclovir 400mg 3 times a day. The medicine worked quickly and stopped itching after 1 day, sores healed after about 3-4 days. After I stopped taking the medication I had sex with must have irritated the area because I got another outbreak about one week later .. Started taking acyclovir again, exept this time I experienced unusual tiredness & nausea , I noticed that if my heart rate went up that I became short of breathe and felt like fainting .. Only took the drug, this outbreak, for about 3-4 days"

Cream8 May 26, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "It is an effective remedy but the side effects in my case were worse than the problem. There was a point after about a week on the drug that I thought I was going to die. Daily it got worse and I felt very tired all the time and it caused severe dizziness, trouble breathing and while I was lying in bed I was woke up with a terrible feeling that I was passing out and could not go back to sleep and just lay there with the feeling of my head swirling."

Dada1111 (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I have been on this pill now for three days after suffering an attack for almost a week, I am feeling much better. The tingling and itching have reduced. Anti itch medicated cream from the 99 cent store really helped with the itching. I am just a lil tired and feel a little achy. I will take that anytime than the feeling of this painful virus."

mercy36 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "Acyclovir 800 tab 4 times a day for 5 days. First pill stopped the cold sore in its tracks it immediately stopped growing with just the first pill. Second day the tingling phase stopped, they erupted, and by the end of the 2nd day they were drying out. I had to stop at the end of day 2 due to this medicine being too strong for my stomach. I ended up with a gastritis flare up, terrible stomach pain, diarrhea and nausea. If it wasn't for that, this medicine would get 10/10!"

VanessaBoo February 25, 2015

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Easy quick to use, expensive but the best product available. All insurance companies do not cover it which is very unfortunate."

Killthecoldsore (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 24, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I used to get cold sores four or five times a year, sometimes more often (especially when I was dealing with the stress of college). They would appear at the most frustrating times! I tried a bunch of alternative remedies, per the recommendations of friends and family, including L-lysine and tea tree oil. I even found myself putting nail polish remover on my lips (word to the wise: don't do that). Finally, I explained to a doctor how often I was getting outbreaks and how bad they were, and they prescribed 200mg of acyclovir a day as a suppressant. It didn't seem to do anything; the cold sores kept coming. Then, another doctor upped my dose to 400mg twice a day. I didn't get a cold sore for almost five years!"

CharlotteLinnae January 21, 2015

For Herpes Zoster: "Even though acyclovir was started 8 days after symptoms started, the rash was almost gone within 7 days and should be completely healed in 10."

Harksgirl (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2014

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Love this medication has almost completely stopped all outbreaks, was having them about six to eight times a year mostly brought on by stress or my period, now taking acyclovir I'm outbreak free no side effects noticed."

AprilLou November 13, 2014

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was exposed 25 years ago. When I notice a change in my vaginal secretions, sorry for being graphic, I begin taking the medication which stops any zoosters from forming after only 2 days worth of meds. Costco has the best price in my area and no membership required to use the pharmacy."

Texas girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 16, 2014

For Herpes Simplex: "I took acyclovir 400mg 5 times a day 4 hours after tingling. Completely gone in 2 days. But what is weird is it worked only one time, it never worked again. I have had ten more since the first time it worked. I did try it again on a few separate outbreaks it never even slowed it down."

Jare (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2014

For Herpes Simplex: "I started taking acyclovir 2 days ago and I Already feel better my outbreak is 90% clear and so far no side effects. I take 800mg 5 times a day for 7 days...O and I take it for having the shingles which is like herpes"

anonymous 327 (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2014

For Herpes Simplex: "I was prescribed this medication a few months ago and I absolutely love it. Whenever I feel a cold sore coming on, I take three 400mg tablets every 8 hours (the recommended dose by my doctor) and it stops the cold sore right in its tracks. If I'm lucky, I catch the cold sore in the tingling stage and immediently take the pills, and that usually stops the cold sore from breaking out. If I do end up getting a cold sore, I keep using the pills and it Speeds up the process and stops the cold sore from growing any bigger. This medication is amazing and I am so glad to finally have found something that actually works, as I am almost 20 years old and have been suffering from cold sores since age 4."

Candyy March 26, 2014

For Herpes Zoster: "I had a random herpes zoster outbreak (shingles) on my back and was prescribed 800mg 5x day for 7 days. It dried up my blisters within two days and I healed nicely. I did however have headaches and dry mouth with severe nausea and vomiting the last two days on the medication. Those are side effects and being that I was on a strong dose, these side effects really affected me."

MS1586 March 13, 2014

For Herpes Simplex: "I've experienced cold sores ever since i was 13 years old, but being a college student now and constantly stressed out ive been getting them more frequently. I tried everything from abreva, all the house remedies, and ointments, but none of them worked. So i got prescribed to the 400mg dose and these pills do wonders! I felt the bump yesterday and the first stage of the blister had started and i took the dosage i was prescribed and woke up today with the bump the same size. So i took another one and within two hours it was completely gone. I am so happy to have found something that finally works"

Liz730222 January 21, 2014

For Herpes Simplex: "I have been plagued by cold sores since I was 14 years old and have struggled at finding any effective medication, including Abreva. A year ago I could feel an outbreak coming and did some research online and found acyclovir. I read the reviews and figured I'd try it. Within 24 hours my forming cold sore stopped and began to heal and shrink, within 3 days it was almost non existent. Yesterday I woke up and realized over night with no notice a huge sore had formed and the virus was on full unrestricted attack. Went out, got Acyclovir and again, within 24hours what was bound to be a huge long drawn out cold sore had stopped, shrunk and began healing. Acyclovir with Abreva has proved to be a miracle. TRY IT! P.S No side effects for me."

Unavailablee January 9, 2014

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "My face has developed more cystic adult acne that takes longer to heal. My eye whites have yellowish tint. I notice I bruise easy and minor injuries take a long time to heal. I have lost weight (the good part) I feel fatigued frequently and lack energy"

Dolce Vita (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 14, 2013

For Mononucleosis: "I had some unusual herpes-like symptoms that came with my mononucleosis, and they prescribed this to me thinking that even if it did not help, it would not hurt me. I had found astonishing results and it made all my symptoms less drastic and made me get over it much faster."

zombielizzy June 6, 2013

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompromised Host: "My daughter is 5 years old & has a primary immunodeficiency (natural killer cell deficiency). When she takes this medicine for the treatment of her HSV (oral), her chronic HSV is less severe, and although new ones do form, they fade away very quickly and at some points, her face is clear. She has taken it for as long as 5 weeks at a time and will begin taking prophylactic doses of this medication (long term) by next month. We (my husband and myself) believe that her initial outbreak of HSV was caused by the Varicella vaccine. Later blood tests revealed her immunodeficiency."

Brand2008 April 19, 2013

For Herpes Simplex: "I have been on the medicine for almost 2 years now and I have only had 3 outbreaks so far, don't know what causes them but I start taking my meds 3 times a day with an outbreak and hope it works."

hopeful 1 April 16, 2013