Generic Name: menthol (MEN-thol)
Brand Name: IcyHot PM Medicated Lotion
Menthol lotion is used for:
Relieving minor pain caused by conditions such as arthritis, backache, bruising, bursitis, cramping, muscle strains or sprains, and tendonitis. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Menthol lotion is a topical analgesic. It works by temporarily relieving minor pain.
Do NOT use menthol lotion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in menthol lotion
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using menthol lotion:
Some medical conditions may interact with menthol lotion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have cut, scraped, irritated, or damaged skin at the application site
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with menthol lotion. However, no specific interactions with menthol lotion are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if menthol lotion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use menthol lotion:
Use menthol lotion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash your hands before and right after using menthol lotion.
- Apply menthol lotion to the affected area as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
- Do not wrap, bandage, or use a heating pad on the treated area.
- Do not apply menthol lotion more than 4 times daily.
- If you miss a dose of menthol lotion, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use menthol lotion.
Important safety information:
- Menthol lotion is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, on your lips, or in your nose, mouth, or genital area. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool tap water.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 1 week without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 7 days, if they get worse, or if they clear up and then come back again, contact your doctor.
- Menthol lotion should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using menthol lotion while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use menthol lotion, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of menthol lotion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with menthol lotion. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); redness or irritation at the application site.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Menthol lotion may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of menthol lotion:
Store menthol lotion at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat and light. Keep menthol lotion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about menthol lotion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Menthol lotion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take menthol lotion or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about menthol lotion. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to menthol lotion. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using menthol lotion.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about menthol topical
- Other brands: Luden's Honey Lemon Throat Drops, Stopain, Robitussin Cough Drop, Halls Mentho-Lyptus Drops, More (8) »