Can you take beer & wine with antibiotics. (amoxicillin)?

Yes, you can drink alcohol while taking the antibiotic amoxicillin. The alcohol will not stop amoxicillin from working. Moderation is key.

However, many health professionals will recommend you avoid alcohol to give your body the best chance possible to fight the infection.

There are certain antibiotics where alcohol must be avoided such as Metronidazole, Tinidazole and Bactrim because the combination may result in a severe reaction. Drinking any amount of alcohol with these medications can result in side effects such as flushing, headache, nausea and vomiting, and rapid heart rate.

There are no such side effects issues when alcohol is taken with amoxicillin.

http://www.drugs.com/article/antibiotics-and-alcohol.html

JB14 21 Jan 2015

I have developed a reaction to amoxicillin. I've a total knee replacement, and for some years was required to take 4-500 unit caps of amoxicilin prior to visiting the dentist. At some point, I developed a tremendous head ache that would last for 3 or 4 days after taking the drug. Recently, my doctor prescribed it for another issue--3 500unit caps daily for 10 days. I began to develop a severe headache the first day, and it got worse each day. I also began to develop muscle/body aches and pains. I am unsure whether drinking red wine added to the headache issue, but I had to stop taking the drug, and slowly the headache has subsided. Three days later, I still have slight aching in my back, and a very slight headache only when I turn my head quickly.