Is it ok to take miralax every day for long period of time?

Polyethylene glycol 3350 (Miralax) is used as a laxative to treat occasional constipation or irregular bowel movements. It should only be used for a short time. Talk to your doctor or Pharmacist about a safer long term laxative.

See http://www.drugs.com/cons/miralax.html
http://www.drugs.com/cg/constipation-discharge-care.html
http://www.drugs.com/enc/diet-constipation.html

nightprowler1961 8 Nov 2010

I have tryed everthing know to man,my doctor/a gastro. doc. is the one who wanted me too take it 2 time per day,because 1 per day wasn't working.So i have to disagree with you.Sorry my spelling is bad,I'M relearning to spell,and everthing eles in life,due to 72 weeks of Peggasy and interferon treatment for Hep. C I all most didn't live thur that.But i have been cheating death my whole life.I hope i can help someone here,I need that to make my self feel better.

My son who is going to be 4 in September has been taking adult doses of MiraLax everyday for the past year and a half. The doctors do not seem to think that there is any problem in this (they are the ones who put him on the medication at the dosage he is taking), so I think it is pretty safe to say that it is okay to take MiraLax for a long period of time. My best suggestion would be to check with your doctor before taking any medication for a long period of time on your own.

kathydpa_10956 7 Nov 2010

Excuse me for commenting, but your son is 4 and taking adult doses of Miralax? Why? Is he bedridden or other? This concerns me greatly and can't help wonder why any doctor would do this. I would think a diet of pears and other fiber rich foods would be better for your son. Please check with your local pharmacist and ask if this is correct. Take care.

lking2619 7 Nov 2010

Thank you for your comment. Actually we tried fiber rich foods, but that did not help at all. When we first found out that my son was completely impacted(two years ago), the doctor put him on Milk of Mag. However, this did not help either. It was another pedi gastroenterologist that put him on the Miralax. It took forever for that to begin working. Now, my son is doing better. His dosage is down to 1 cap every other day (to keep him going). I asked the doctor about the dosage that my son was on, and was told that Miralax is one of the safest drugs to take for chronic costipation over a long period of time. I still did not like the dosage. If we go too much longer than every other day without the medicine, my son gets constipated again. He eats the proper amount of fiber, but it doesn't keep him regular. Even prunes do not help.

From my experiece with my daughter. Miralax is pure POISON!