Zinc acetate Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to zinc acetate: oral capsule
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of a pancreas problem (pancreatitis) like very bad stomach pain, very bad back pain, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to zinc acetate: compounding powder, oral capsule
Elevations in serum alkaline phosphatase, amylase, and lipase suggesting pancreatitis lasted from weeks to months; levels usually returned to high normal with the first year or two of zinc therapy.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Gastric irritation, possible pancreatitis[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Galzin (zinc acetate)." Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, North Wales, PA.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about zinc acetate
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- En Español
- Drug class: minerals and electrolytes
Other brands: Galzin