Nesacaine Side Effects
Generic Name: chloroprocaine
Note: This document contains side effect information about chloroprocaine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Nesacaine.
Applies to chloroprocaine: injection solution, intrathecal solution
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
For all uses of this drug:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of too much acid in the blood (acidosis) like confusion; fast breathing; fast heartbeat; a heartbeat that does not feel normal; very bad stomach pain, upset stomach, or throwing up; feeling very sleepy; shortness of breath; or feeling very tired or weak.
- Signs of methemoglobinemia like a blue or gray color of the lips, nails, or skin; a heartbeat that does not feel normal; seizures; very bad dizziness or passing out; very bad headache; feeling very sleepy; feeling tired or weak; or shortness of breath. This effect is rare but may be deadly if it happens.
- Feeling lightheaded, sleepy, confused, or having blurred eyesight.
- Sweating a lot.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Change in speech.
- Numbness or tingling in the mouth.
- Dizziness or passing out.
- Ringing in ears.
- Low mood (depression).
- Change in balance.
- Fast or slow heartbeat.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Loss of bladder or bowel control.
- Not able to get or keep an erection.
- Long-lasting burning, numbness, tingling, or paralysis in the lower half of the body.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where the shot is given.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Nesacaine (chloroprocaine)
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: local injectable anesthetics
- FDA Alerts (1)
Other brands: Clorotekal