Lipiodol Side Effects
Generic Name: ethiodized oil
Note: This document contains side effect information about ethiodized oil. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Lipiodol.
For the Consumer
Applies to ethiodized oil: injection injectable, injection solution
Along with its needed effects, ethiodized oil (the active ingredient contained in Lipiodol) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor or nurse immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking ethiodized oil:
Incidence Not Known
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- bloated abdomen or stomach
- changes in vision
- chest pain or tightness
- decreased frequency or amount of urine
- depressed mood
- difficulty with swallowing
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- fast heartbeat
- inflamed tissue from infection
- loss of appetite
- lower back or side pain
- muscle cramps and stiffness
- nausea or vomiting
- pain and fullness in the right upper abdomen or stomach
- pain, tenderness, or swelling of the foot or leg
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- skin rash, hives, itching, or redness
- sudden shortness of breath or troubled breathing
- swelling of the face, fingers, or lower legs
- trouble sleeping
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- weight gain or loss
- yellow eyes and skin
Some side effects of ethiodized oil may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
Incidence Not Known
- Delayed healing at the incision site
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to ethiodized oil: injectable solution, intralymphatic solution
1. "Product Information. Lipiodol (ethiodized oil)." Guerbet LLC, Bloomington, IN.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.