Ethanolamine oleate Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to ethanolamine oleate: intravenous solution
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
- This drug may cause tissue damage if the drug leaks from the vein. Tell your nurse if you have any redness, burning, pain, swelling, blisters, skin sores, or leaking of fluid where the drug is going into your body.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to ethanolamine oleate: injectable solution
Local side effects have included esophageal ulcer (2.1%) and esophageal stricture (1.3%). Esophagitis, tearing of the esophagus, sloughing of the mucosa overlying the injected varix, ulceration, necrosis, and periesophageal abscess and perforation have also been reported.[Ref]
Hypersensitivity side effects have rarely included anaphylactic shock.[Ref]
Renal side effects have included acute renal failure.[Ref]
Acute renal failure with spontaneous recovery has been reported in 2 cases following injection of 15 to 20 mL of ethanolamine oleate.[Ref]
Nervous system side effects have rarely included spinal cord paralysis due to occlusion of the anterior spinal artery.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Ethamolin (ethanolamine oleate)." QOL Medical LLC, Mooreseville, NC.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about ethanolamine oleate
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: sclerosing agents
Other brands: Ethamolin