CureVac’s Coronavirus Vaccine at the Center of a Fight for Control
CureVac, a German biopharmaceutical company, has hit the headlines after US President Trump tried to secure exclusive rights to its developmental coronavirus vaccine. The vaccine is being developed to prevent the spread of coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2), which causes COVID-19. Trump is reported to have offered large sums of money to those working on the vaccine, in a move designed to give the US complete control over it. Trump’s actions are reported to have angered German politicians and have prompted Berlin to offer financial incentives to the company.
CureVac, however, has confirmed its commitment to develop a vaccine to protect people worldwide, making announcements on twitter, its website and through the media. CureVac has stated that its “internal efforts are focused on the development of a coronavirus vaccine with the goal to reach, help and to protect people and patients worldwide”.
Just days before it confirmed its commitment, the company founder and Chairman of the Supervisory Board, Ingamr Hoerr replaced Daniel Menichella as CEO. Menichella had recently visited the White House, along with other pharmaceutical representatives, to discuss the development of its vaccine with Trump and other US officials. The reason for Menichella’s sudden departure has not been made clear.
CureVac is developing messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA)-based therapies to treat cancer and certain rare diseases, as well as to prevent infectious diseases. mRNA is a type of RNA present in all living cells. It plays a role in the process whereby DNA is converted into working proteins that carry out all the functions necessary for life.
CureVac’s coronavirus vaccine
CureVac and Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) entered into a collaboration to develop a coronavirus vaccine on January 31, 2020. The collaboration builds upon a previous agreement between the two to develop a rapid-response vaccine platform.
CureVac is currently selecting the most suitable candidate for further development and clinical trials are expected to begin in early summer 2020. Preparations are already underway for the trials at two primary study centers.
In January 2020, CureVac announced positive results from a phase I study of its low-dose rabies vaccine, which the company is relying on as evidence that the same approach could work for a vaccine against coronavirus. CureVac has a GMP-certified production facility capable of producing up to 10 million doses of a vaccine in one run.
- Deutsche Welle. Germany and US wrestle over coronavirus vaccine. March 15, 2020. [Accessed March 16, 2020]. Available at: https://www.dw.com/en/germany-and-us-wrestle-over-coronavirus-vaccine/a-52777990
- CureVac. CureVac focuses on the development of mRNA-based coronavirus vaccine to protect people worldwide. March 15, 2020. [Accessed March 16, 2020]. Available at: https://www.curevac.com/news/curevac-focuses-on-the-development-of-mrna-based-coronavirus-vaccine-to-protect-people-worldwide
- CureVac (March 16, 2020) CureVac focuses on the development of a mRNA-based coronavirus vaccine to protect people worldwide. We abstain from commenting on speculations and rejects allegations about offers for acquisition of our company or our technology. To our press release: [Twitter POST]. [Accessed March 16, 2020]. Retrieved from: https://twitter.com/CureVacAG/status/1239238122384363520
- Reuters. Germany tries to halt U.S. interest in firm working on coronavirus vaccine. March 16, 2020. [Accessed March 16, 2020]. Available at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany-usa/germany-tries-to-stop-u-s-from-luring-away-firm-seeking-coronavirus-vaccine-idUSKBN2120IV
- Fierce Biotech. Was it something he said? Biotech CEO who met Trump this month exits without a word. March 12, 2020. [Accessed March 16, 2020]. Available at: https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/was-it-something-he-said-biotech-ceo-who-met-president-trump-month-exits-without-a-word
- CureVac. Company Founder Ingmar Hoerr Succeeds Daniel Menichella as CEO of CureVac AG. March 11, 2020. [Accessed March 16, 2020]. Available at: https://www.curevac.com/news/company-founder-ingmar-hoerr-succeeds-daniel-menichella-as-ceo-of-curevac-ag
- Politico. Germany confirms that Trump tried to buy firm working on coronavirus vaccine. March 15, 2020. [Accessed March 16, 2020]. Available at: https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-confirms-that-donald-trump-tried-to-buy-firm-working-on-coronavirus-vaccine/
- CureVac. CureVac CEO Daniel Menichella Discusses Coronavirus Vaccine Development with U.S. President Donald Trump and Members of Coronavirus Task Force. March 3, 2020. [Accessed March 16, 2020]. Available at: https://www.curevac.com/news/curevac-ceo-daniel-menichella-ber%C3%A4t-mit-us-pr%C3%A4sident-donald-trump-und-mitgliedern-der-corona-task-force-entwicklungsm%C3%B6glichkeiten-eines-coronavirus-impfstoffes
- NIH, National Human Genome Research Institute. Messenger RNA (mRNA). [Accessed March 16, 2020]. Available at: https://www.genome.gov/genetics-glossary/messenger-rna
- Scitable by Nature Education. Translation: DNA to mRNA to Protein. [Accessed March 16, 2020]. Available at: https://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/translation-dna-to-mrna-to-protein-393/
- CureVac. CureVac and CEPI extend their Cooperation to Develop a Vaccine against Coronavirus nCoV-2019. January 31, 2020. [Accessed March 16, 2020]. Available at: https://www.curevac.com/news/curevac-and-cepi-extend-their-cooperation-to-develop-a-vaccine-against-coronavirus-ncov-2019
- CureVac. CureVac Announces Positive Results in Low Dose – 1 µg – Rabies Vaccine Clinical Phase 1 Study. January 7, 2020. [Accessed March 16, 2020]. Available at: https://www.curevac.com/news/curevac-announces-positive-results-in-low-dose-1-%C2%B5g-rabies-vaccine-clinical-phase-1-study
Posted March 2020
Further Support and Information on COVID-19
Read this next
TUESDAY, Oct. 19, 2021 -- Fear, grief, uncertainty and isolation during the pandemic have triggered a national state of emergency in the mental health of America's youth, leading...
Biden administration ready to OK mix n' match COVID vaccinations. Sources are telling media that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration will this week approve the use of...
TUESDAY, Oct. 19, 2021 -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration plans to announce Wednesday that people can mix and match their COVID vaccines and booster shots, a move that would...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.