TlandoTreatment for Hypogonadism -- Male
Lipocine Submits NDA to FDA for Its Oral Testosterone Replacement Product Candidate, LPCN 1021
SALT LAKE CITY, UT, USA I August 31, 2015 I Lipocine Inc. (LPCN), a specialty pharmaceutical company, today announced that it has submitted a 505(b)(2) New Drug Application ("NDA") to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration ("FDA") for LPCN 1021, an oral testosterone product candidate for testosterone replacement therapy ("TRT") in adult males for conditions associated with a deficiency or absence of endogenous testosterone ("hypogonadism").
"Filing of the NDA for LPCN 1021 is a significant achievement for Lipocine and a major milestone toward bringing this potential testosterone replacement therapy option to patients. LPCN 1021 has the potential both to improve the ease of use compared to the available formulations, including topical gels and injections, and to overcome inadvertent testosterone transference risk to children and partners," said Dr. Mahesh Patel, Chairman, President and CEO of Lipocine Inc. "We look forward to working closely with the FDA during the review process."
The NDA filing is supported by results from Lipocine's Study of Oral Androgen Replacement ("SOAR") pivotal Phase 3 clinical study (http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT02081300) evaluating efficacy and safety of LPCN 1021 in hypogonadal men with low testosterone. The study met its primary efficacy endpoint by successfully restoring testosterone levels to the normal range in 88% of the subjects. In addition, 85% of the subjects reached their final dose with no more than one dose titration. LPCN 1021 treatment was well tolerated with no hepatic, cardiac, gastrointestinal or drug related serious adverse events.
About LPCN 1021
LPCN 1021 is a twice-a-day, oral testosterone replacement therapy product candidate with three simple oral dosing options that Lipocine expects will overcome the major shortcomings of existing products. The current testosterone market is dominated by topical products that carry FDA "black box" warnings related to inadvertent transfer of testosterone and by injectable products. The IMS Health database shows that an average of half a million prescriptions a month have been dispensed so far in 2015 for TRT.
Lipocine Inc. is a specialty pharmaceutical company developing innovative pharmaceutical products for use in men's and women's health using its proprietary drug delivery technologies. A New Drug Application was filed with the FDA for Lipocine's lead product candidate, LPCN 1021. LPCN 1021 demonstrated positive - efficacy and safety results in Phase 3 testing and is targeted for testosterone replacement therapy. Additional pipeline candidates include LPCN 1111, a next generation oral testosterone replacement therapy product with once daily dosing, that is currently in Phase 2 testing, and LPCN 1107, which has the potential to become the first oral hydroxyprogesterone caproate product indicated for the prevention of recurrent preterm birth with orphan drug designation, is currently in Phase 1 testing.
Posted: August 2015
- Lipocine Announces Tentative Approval of TLANDO - December 8, 2020
- Lipocine Receives Complete Response Letter for TLANDO™ from U.S. FDA - November 11, 2019
- Lipocine Announces Tlando NDA PDUFA Action Date of November 9, 2019 - May 14, 2019
- Lipocine Receives Complete Response Letter for Tlando From U.S. Food and Drug Administration - May 9, 2018
- Lipocine Announces Outcome of FDA Advisory Committee Meeting for Tlando, Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Adult Males with Hypogonadism - January 10, 2018
- Lipocine Announces FDA Acknowledgement of Tlando (LPCN 1021) NDA Resubmission - August 14, 2017
- Lipocine Resubmits NDA for Its Oral Testosterone Product Candidate, LPCN 1021, for Treatment of Hypogonadism - August 9, 2017
- Lipocine Receives Complete Response Letter (CRL) for LPCN 1021 From U.S. FDA - June 29, 2016
- Lipocine Announces PDUFA Goal Date for LPCN 1021 NDA - November 12, 2015
- FDA Accepts for Filing Lipocine's NDA for Its Oral Testosterone Replacement Product Candidate, LPCN 1021 - October 29, 2015
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.