Can you drink alcohol with Nerlynx?
Although there is no direct interaction between alcohol and Nerlynx (neratinib), you should not drink excessive quantities of alcohol while you are taking Nerlynx, because it may increase the risk of side effects such as diarrhea, dehydration, dizziness, and liver problems. It is OK to have a glass of alcohol every now and then while taking Nerlynx.
Alcohol can also increase levels of estrogen and other hormones associated with hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer as well as damage DNA in cells. Women who drink more than three alcoholic drinks per week have a 15% higher risk of developing breast cancer compared to women who don’t drink at all.
Because of these reasons, you should limit your alcohol intake if you have breast cancer, or if you take Nerlynx. If you wish to drink, you should not drink more than one standard drink, on no more than three days a week.
There are other beverages that may interact with Nerlynx, such as grapefruit and pomegranate drinks and products made with either of these fruits. Grapefruit and pomegranate can increase the effects and side effects of Nerlynx, such as diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, mouth sores, loss of appetite, and liver problems.
- Drinking Alcohol BreastCancer.org 2020 https://www.breastcancer.org/risk/factors/alcohol#:~:text=Alcohol%20can%20increase%20levels%20of,higher%20risk%20of%20breast%20cancer
- Nerlynx (neratinib) https://www.drugs.com/pro/nerlynx.html
- Nerlynx (neratinib) Nerlynx.com https://nerlynx.com
Related medical questions
- What’s the difference between tucatinib and neratinib?
- When does diarrhea start when taking Nerlynx?
- Does Nerlynx cause hair loss?
- Is Nerlynx (neratinib) a chemo drug?
- How long do you take Nerlynx for?
- How does Nerlynx (neratinib) work?
- How do you take Nerlynx?