Is Perjeta a chemotherapy drug?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on Aug 28, 2020.
- Perjeta (generic name: pertuzumab) is considered a targeted cancer therapy, which is different from chemotherapy.
- Traditional chemotherapy kills cancer cells that grow and divide rapidly, and may also affect normal cells.
- Targeted drug therapy like Perjeta attacks human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) proteins on certain cancer cells that cause rapid growth.
- Normal cells have fewer HER2 proteins, but targeted therapy may affect them, too.
HER2+ breast cancer cells have too many HER2 receptors which can cause cells to grow and divide rapidly. Perjeta targets HER2 receptors to slow down rapid growth. However, fewer amounts of HER2 proteins can be found on healthy cells, too, which may lead to side effects, some of which can be serious.
Perjeta is approved to treat early or metastatic breast cancer and is a member of the HER2 inhibitors drug class. Perjeta is given with another targeted treatment called Herceptin (trastuzumab), which also targets HER2 receptors, but in a different way.
- Perjeta (pertuzumab) is considered a targeted cancer therapy, which is different from chemotherapy.
- Chemotherapy works by killing rapidly growing cancer cells, but may also affect normal cells.
- Perjeta attacks certain proteins on breast cancer cells that cause rapid growth. However, normal cells also have HER2 proteins (in fewer amounts), so targeted therapy may affect them, too, and possibly cause side effects.
This is not all the information you need to know about Perjeta for safe and effective use. Review the full Perjeta information here, and discuss this information with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Perjeta (pertuzumab) Product Information. Genentech. South San Francisco, CA. https://www.gene.com/download/pdf/perjeta_prescribing.pdf
- Perjeta.com. Genentech. Accessed August 28, 2020 at https://www.perjeta.com
Related Medical Questions
- How long do Perjeta infusions last?
- What common side effects occur with Perjeta?
- How long can you stay on Herceptin and Perjeta?
- How much does Perjeta cost?
- What does anastrozole do to your body?
- What is the success rate for Femara in breast cancer?
- How common is hair loss with Ibrance?
- How long does it take for Faslodex to start working?
- Is Verzenio better than Ibrance?
- How long can you take Faslodex?
- Is Ibrance a form of chemo?
- Aromasin vs Femara - how do they compare?
- How long does Herceptin stay in your body?
- What is Paxil called in the USA?
- How does Ibrance kill cancer?
- Which is better - Aromasin or Femara?
- Is Faslodex a form of chemotherapy?
- What is Herceptin? Is Herceptin a chemo drug? How does it work?