How long do Perjeta infusions last?
Your first infusion of Perjeta (generic name: pertuzumab) will last about 60 minutes. The medication is given more slowly for your first infusion. After the first infusion, your infusions will typically last about 30 to 60 minutes, and may vary based on your tolerability or response to the medication. Perjeta is usually given once every 3 weeks through your vein as an intravenous (IV) infusion. A health care provider will give you this injection in a clinic.
After you have received Perjeta, your health care provider will wait 30 to 60 minutes to check for any reactions before you receive other treatments. If a reaction occurs, they may need to adjust, delay or stop your treatment.
You will also receive an infusion of Herceptin (generic name: trastuzumab) on the same day as Perjeta. Your first Herceptin infusion will be given over 90 minutes. After your first Herceptin infusion, infusions will typically take 30 to 90 minutes. Perjeta and Herceptin can be given in any order during your clinic visit.
If you also receive chemotherapy treatment on the days that you receive Perjeta and Herceptin, the administration times and schedule will vary based on the medication that you receive. You could be at the clinic for several hours or longer on the days that you receive Perjeta and Herceptin. Your doctor can give you a better idea of your treatment length.
Can Herceptin Hylecta be used with Perjeta?
- Herceptin Hylecta is given as an injection under the skin instead of as an IV infusion. Herceptin Hylecta is ready-to-use and can be given in two to five minutes, compared to 30 to 90 minutes for intravenous Herceptin.
- Herceptin Hylecta, from Genentech, is a combination of the approved HER2/neu receptor antagonist trastuzumab and recombinant human hyaluronidase PH20, an enzyme that helps to deliver trastuzumab under the skin.
- Ask your doctor if Herceptin Hylecta might be an option for you.
How long will I stay on Perjeta?
Perjeta treatment (when used either before or after surgery) usually lasts for a total of 18 cycles (up to one year) for patients with HER2+ early breast cancer (EBC) at high risk of recurrence. Your doctor may need to stop treatment early due to side effects or disease recurrence, whichever occurs first.
When Perjeta is used to treat HER2+ metastatic breast cancer, treatment usually continues until your disease progresses or you have unacceptable toxicity. This treatment is also given with Herceptin and at least 6 cycles of docetaxel (Taxotere). If your doctor stops docetaxel, Perjeta and Herceptin may be continued on their own.
- Perjeta (pertuzumab) is usually given once every 3 weeks through your vein as an intravenous (IV) infusion. A health care provider will give you this injection in a clinic.
- Your first infusion of Perjeta will last about 60 minutes. Medication is given more slowly for your first infusion.
- After the first infusion, your infusions will typically last about 30 to 60 minutes, and may vary based on your tolerability or response to the medication.
- You will receive other treatments that will lengthen your time at the the clinic. Ask your doctor how long your treatment regimens may last for the day.
This is not all the information you need to know about Perjeta for safe and effective use. Review the full Perjeta information here, and discuss this information with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Perjeta Dosing and Administration Guide. Genentech Inc. (online). June 2019. Accessed Sept. 1, 2020 at https://www.perjeta.com/content/dam/gene/perjeta/hcp/pdfs/downloads/PERJETA%20Dosing%20and%20Admin%20Guide.pdf
- Perjeta (pertuzumab) Product Information. Genentech, Inc. South San Francisco, CA. Jan. 2020. Accessed Sept. 1, 2020 at https://www.gene.com/download/pdf/perjeta_prescribing.pdf
- Perjeta (pertuzumab). Genentech, Inc. South San Francisco, CA. 2019. Accessed Sept. 1, 2020 at https://www.perjeta.com/
- Herceptin Hylecta. Product Monograph. Drugs.com. Accessed Sept. 1, 2020 at https://www.drugs.com/mtm/herceptin-hylecta.html
Related Medical Questions
- What common side effects occur with Perjeta?
- How long can you stay on Herceptin and Perjeta?
- How do Herceptin (trastuzumab) and Perjeta (pertuzumab) work together?
- How much does Perjeta cost?
- Is Perjeta a chemotherapy drug?
- Perjeta Information for Consumers
- Perjeta Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Perjeta (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Perjeta (6 questions, 5 members)