Methylcellulose (15 MPa.s)
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 23, 2018.
What is it?
Methylcellulose is used as a tablet and capsule disintegrant, a tablet binder, and as a viscosity-increasing agent. It exists as a free-flowing white powder and dissolves in cold water to yield a clear gel. It is used in the food, cosmetic, and pharmaceutical industries. In the pharmaceutical industry, methylcellulose is used in artificial tears products. Methylcellulose (Citrucel) is also a bulk-forming laxative that works by absorbing water and swelling in the intestines. This helps the stool form the bulk necessary to be easily passed. It may also be used in the manufacturing of capsules as a vegetarian option to gelatin. Methylcellulose has also been used as a substance for special effects in movies where a 'slime' effect is needed. Methylcellulose is derived from cellulose. Cellulose is not digestible or absorbed into the system, and is not known to be toxic or an allergen.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Cilostazol 50 mg
- Cilostazol 100 mg
- Clopidogrel Bisulfate 300 mg (base)
- Dextroamphetamine Sulfate Extended Release 15 mg
- Dilt-CD Diltiazem 300 mg
- Diltzac Diltazem HCl ER 360 mg
- Duloxetine Hydrochloride Delayed-Release 30 mg
- Ethambutol Hydrochloride 400 mg
- Gemfibrozil 600 mg
- Medroxyprogesterone Acetate 5 mg
- Medroxyprogesterone Acetate 10 mg
- Metoprolol Succinate Extended-Release 25 mg
- Metoprolol Succinate Extended-Release 100 mg
- Modafinil 100 mg
- Pre Natal Vitamins Plus prenatal multivitamins with ferrous fumarate 27 mg and folic acid 1 mg
- Primidone 250 mg
- Topiramate 50 mg
- Topiramate 25 mg
- Topiramate 200 mg
- Topiramate 100 mg