Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 13, 2018.
What is it?
Carboxymethylcellulose sodium appears as white, fibrous, free-flowing powder, and is used commonly as an FDA-approved disintegrant in pharmaceutical manufacturing. Disintegrants facilitate the breakup of a tablet in the intestinal tract after oral administration. Without a disintegrant, tablets may not dissolve appropriately and may effect the amount of active ingredient absorbed, thereby decreasing effectiveness. 
Polymers of carboxymethylcellulose sodium are also the active ingredient in many over-the-counter dry-eye or "natural tears" products, such as Refresh Tears or TheraTears Lubricant Eye Drops.
According to the FDA Select Committee on GRAS food Substances, carboxymethylcellulose sodium is virtually unabsorbed. Carboxymethylcellulose sodium is generally regarded as safe when used in normal quantities. 
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Amlodipine Besylate and Olmesartan Medoxomil 10 mg / 20 mg
- Amlodipine Besylate and Olmesartan Medoxomil 10 mg / 40 mg
- Atorvastatin Calcium 10 mg
- Banzel 400 mg
- Didanosine Delayed Release 125 mg
- Didanosine Delayed Release 400 mg
- Diltzac Diltazem HCl ER 300 mg
- Erythrocin Stearate Filmtab 250 mg
- Escitalopram Oxalate 10 mg (base)
- Escitalopram Oxalate 20 mg (base)
- Glucophage XR 500 mg
- Glucophage XR 750 mg
- Ibuprofen 200 mg
- Ibuprofen 200 mg
- Mylanta Gas Minis (Assorted Fruit) simethicone 125 mg
- Mylanta Gas Minis (Mint) simethicone 125 mg
- Phenylephrine Hydrochloride 10 mg
- Q-Pap Extra Strength 500 mg
- Ropinirole Hydrochloride Extended-Release 6 mg
- Ropinirole Hydrochloride Extended-Release 4 mg