Ampicillin / probenecid and Alcohol / Food Interactions
There are 2 alcohol/food/lifestyle interactions with ampicillin / probenecid which include:
ampicillin ↔ food
Moderate Food Interaction
Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.
ADJUST DOSING INTERVAL: Certain penicillins may exhibit reduced gastrointestinal absorption in the presence of food. The therapeutic effect of the antimicrobial may be reduced.
MANAGEMENT: The interacting penicillin should be administered one hour before or two hours after meals. Penicillin V and amoxicillin are not affected by food and may be given without regard to meals.
- McCarthy CG, Finland M "Absorption and excretion of four penicillins." N Engl J Med 263 (1960): 315-26
- Neu HC "Antimicrobial activity and human pharmacology of amoxicillin." J Infect Dis 129 (1974): s123-31
- Cronk GA, Wheatley WB, Fellers GF, Albright H "The relationship of food intake to the absorption of potassium alpha-phenoxyethyl penicillin and potassium phenoxymethyl penicillin from the gastrointestinal tract." Am J Med Sci 240 (1960): 219-25
- Neuvonen PJ, Elonen E, Pentikainen PJ "Comparative effect of food on absorption of ampicillin and pivampicillin." J Int Med Res 5 (1977): 71-6
- Klein JO, Sabath LD, Finland M "Laboratory studies on oxacillin. I: in vitro activity against staphylococci and some other bacterial pathogens. II: absorption and urinary excretion in normal young." Am J Med Sci 245 (1963): 399-411
- Welling PG, Huang H, Koch PA, Madsen PO "Bioavailability of ampicillin and amoxicillin in fasted and nonfasted subjects." J Pharm Sci 66 (1977): 549-52
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
Moderate Potential Hazard, High plausibility
ampicillin - sodium
Parenteral ampicillin sodium contains approximately 67 to 71 mg (2.9 to 3.1 mEq) of sodium per each gram of ampicillin activity. The combination, ampicillin-sulbactam, contains approximately 115 mg (5 mEq) of sodium per 1.5 gram of total drug. The sodium content should be considered when these products are used in patients with conditions that may require sodium restriction, such as congestive heart failure, hypertension, and fluid retention.
- "Product Information. Unasyn (ampicillin-sulbactam)." Roerig Division, New York, NY.
- "Product Information. Omnipen (ampicillin)." Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA.
ampicillin / probenecid drug Interactions
There are 401 drug interactions with ampicillin / probenecid
ampicillin / probenecid disease Interactions
There are 10 disease interactions with ampicillin / probenecid which include:
- Renal Dysfunction
- Blood Dyscrasias
- Uric Acid Nephrolithiasis
- Renal Dysfunction
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Multum is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. Multum's information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Multum Information Services, Inc. does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. Copyright 2000-2018 Multum Information Services, Inc. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.