Generic name: VARICELLA-ZOSTER VIRUS STRAIN OKA/MERCK LIVE ANTIGEN 19400[PFU] in 0.65mL
Dosage form: subcutaneous injection, powder, lyophilized, for suspension subcutaneous injection
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 26, 2019.
Subcutaneous administration only. Do not inject intravascularly or intramuscularly.
Recommended Dose and Schedule
Administer ZOSTAVAX as a single 0.65-mL dose subcutaneously in the deltoid region of the upper arm.
Preparation for Administration
Use only sterile syringes free of preservatives, antiseptics, and detergents for each injection and/or reconstitution of ZOSTAVAX. Preservatives, antiseptics and detergents may inactivate the vaccine virus.
ZOSTAVAX is stored frozen and should be reconstituted immediately upon removal from the freezer.
When reconstituted, ZOSTAVAX is a semi-hazy to translucent, off-white to pale yellow liquid.
- Use only the diluent supplied.
- Withdraw the entire contents of the diluent into a syringe.
- To avoid excessive foaming, slowly inject all of the diluent in the syringe into the vial of lyophilized vaccine and gently agitate to mix thoroughly.
- Withdraw the entire contents of reconstituted vaccine into a syringe, inject the total volume subcutaneously, and discard vial.
- ADMINISTER IMMEDIATELY AFTER RECONSTITUTION to minimize loss of potency. Discard reconstituted vaccine if not used within 30 minutes. Do not freeze reconstituted vaccine.
More about Zostavax (zoster vaccine live)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 3 Reviews
- Drug class: viral vaccines
- FDA Approval History