Varibar Thin Liquid Dosage
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on April 20, 2021.
Generic name: Barium Sulfate .81g in 1g
Dosage form: powder, for oral suspension
Recommended Dosing and Administration Instructions
- The recommended dose of reconstituted VARIBAR THIN LIQUID administered orally by infant bottle, syringe, spoon, or cup is:
- Adults: 5 mL
- Pediatric patients 6 months and older: 1 mL to 3 mL
- Pediatric patients younger than 6 months of age: 0.5 mL to 1 mL
- During a single modified barium swallow examination, multiple doses of VARIBAR THIN LIQUID may be administered, to assess the patient during multiple swallows and different radiographic views.
- The maximum cumulative dose is 80 mL.
- For oral use only
- Advise patients to hydrate following the barium sulfate procedure.
Instructions for Reconstitution
- Add water to the fill line on the bottle label
- Replace the lid securely
- Invert the bottle and tap with fingers to mix the powder into the water
- Shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Let stand for 5 minutes
- Refill with water to the fill line on the bottle label and reshake thoroughly.
- Once reconstituted, write the discard after date on the immediate container label. After reconstitution, store in refrigerator at 2°C to 8°C (36ºF to 46ºF) for up to 72 hours.
- Reconstitution yields approximately 300 mL of VARIBAR THIN LIQUID oral suspension containing 0.4 grams of barium sulfate per mL (40% w/v) and should be homogeneous and white to lightly colored.
More about SilQ Vanilla (barium sulfate)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug class: non-iodinated contrast media