Varibar Thin Liquid Dosage
Generic name: Barium Sulfate .81g in 1g
Dosage form: powder, for oral suspension
- Varibar Honey suspension
- Varibar Nectar oral suspension
- Varibar Pudding oral paste
- Varibar Thin Honey oral suspension
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 30, 2019.
Recommended Dosing and Administration Instructions
- The recommended dose of reconstituted VARIBAR THIN LIQUID administered orally by infant bottle, syringe, spoon, or cup is:
- Adults: 5 mL
- Pediatric patients 6 months and older: 1 mL to 3 mL
- Pediatric patients younger than 6 months of age: 0.5 mL to 1 mL
- During a single modified barium swallow examination, multiple doses of VARIBAR THIN LIQUID may be administered, to assess the patient during multiple swallows and different radiographic views.
- The maximum cumulative dose is 80 mL.
- For oral use only
- Advise patients to hydrate following the barium sulfate procedure.
Instructions for Reconstitution
- Add water to the fill line on the bottle label
- Replace the lid securely
- Invert the bottle and tap with fingers to mix the powder into the water
- Shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Let stand for 5 minutes
- Refill with water to the fill line on the bottle label and reshake thoroughly.
- Once reconstituted, write the discard after date on the immediate container label. After reconstitution, store in refrigerator at 2°C to 8°C (36ºF to 46ºF) for up to 72 hours.
- Reconstitution yields approximately 300 mL of VARIBAR THIN LIQUID oral suspension containing 0.4 grams of barium sulfate per mL (40% w/v) and should be homogeneous and white to lightly colored.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about SilQ Vanilla (barium sulfate)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug class: non-iodinated contrast media