Generic name: PALIVIZUMAB
100mg in 1mL
Dosage form: injection, solution
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 1, 2020.
The recommended dose of Synagis is 15 mg per kg of body weight given monthly by intramuscular injection. The first dose of Synagis should be administered prior to commencement of the RSV season and the remaining doses should be administered monthly throughout the RSV season. Children who develop an RSV infection should continue to receive monthly doses throughout the RSV season. In the northern hemisphere, the RSV season typically commences in November and lasts through April, but it may begin earlier or persist later in certain communities.
Synagis serum levels are decreased after cardio-pulmonary bypass [see Clinical Pharmacology ( 12.3) ]. Children undergoing cardio-pulmonary bypass should receive an additional dose of Synagis as soon as possible after the cardio-pulmonary bypass procedure (even if sooner than a month from the previous dose). Thereafter, doses should be administered monthly as scheduled.
The efficacy of Synagis at doses less than 15 mg per kg, or of dosing less frequently than monthly throughout the RSV season, has not been established.
- DO NOT DILUTE THE PRODUCT.
- DO NOT SHAKE OR VIGOROUSLY AGITATE THE VIAL.
- Parenteral drug products should be inspected visually for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration. Do not use any vials exhibiting particulate matter or discoloration.
- Using aseptic techniques, attach a sterile needle to a sterile syringe. Remove the flip top from the Synagis vial and wipe the rubber stopper with a disinfectant (e.g., 70% isopropyl alcohol). Insert the needle into the vial and withdraw into the syringe an appropriate volume of solution. Administer immediately after drawing the dose into the syringe.
- Synagis should be administered in a dose of 15 mg per kg intramuscularly using aseptic technique, preferably in the anterolateral aspect of the thigh. The gluteal muscle should not be used routinely as an injection site because of the risk of damage to the sciatic nerve. The dose (volume of injection in mL) per month = patient weight (kg) x 15 mg per kg ÷ 100 mg per mL of Synagis. Injection volumes over 1 mL should be given as a divided dose.
- Synagis is supplied as a single-dose vial and does not contain preservatives. Do not re-enter the vial after withdrawal of drug; discard unused portion. Only administer one dose per vial.
- Use sterile disposable syringes and needles. To prevent the transmission of hepatitis viruses or other infectious agents from one person to another, DO NOT reuse syringes and needles.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Synagis (palivizumab)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: immune globulins