Generic name: METHYLENE BLUE
5mg in 1mL
Dosage form: injection
Medically reviewed on March 16, 2018.
Dosage and Administration
- Ensure patent venous access prior to administration of PROVAYBLUE ®. Do not administer PROVAYBLUE ® subcutaneously.
- Monitor vital signs, electrocardiogram and methemoglobin levels during treatment with PROVAYBLUE ® and through resolution of methemoglobinemia.
- Administer PROVAYBLUE ® 1 mg/kg intravenously over 5-30 minutes.
- If the methemoglobin level remains greater than 30% or if clinical signs and symptoms persist, a repeat dose of PROVAYBLUE ® 1 mg/kg may be given one hour after the first dose.
- If methemoglobinemia does not resolve after 2 doses of PROVAYBLUE ®, consider initiating alternative interventions for treatment of methemoglobinemia.
Preparation and Storage
Each mL of PROVAYBLUE ® contains 5 mg methylene blue
Each 10 mL ampule of PROVAYBLUE ® contains 50 mg methylene blue.
PROVAYBLUE ® is hypotonic and may be diluted before use in a solution of 50 mL 5% Dextrose in Water (D5W) in order to avoid local pain, particularly in the pediatric population. Use the diluted solution immediately after preparation.
Do not mix with sodium chloride 9 mg/mL (0.9%) solution for injection, because it has been demonstrated that chloride reduces the solubility of methylene blue.
Parenteral drug products should be inspected visually for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration, whenever solution and container permit.
Keep the ampule in the original package to protect from light.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Provayblue (methylene blue)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antidotes