Generic name: HUMAN THROMBIN 1000[iU] in 1mL
Dosage form: topical liquid
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 27, 2019.
FOR TOPICAL USE ONLY. DO NOT INJECT.
The amount of EVITHROM ® required depends upon the area of tissue to be treated and the method of application.
Thawing Prior to Application
Thaw EVITHROM ® in one of the following ways:
- 2°C to 8°C (refrigerator): vials thaw within 1 day; or
- 20°C to 25°C (room temperature): vials thaw within 1 hour; or
- 37°C for 2 ml and 5 ml vials only: vials thaw within 10 minutes and must not be left at this temperature for longer than 10 minutes. The temperature must not exceed 37°C.
Remove the flip-off plastic cap from the vial to expose the rubber stopper. Using a sterile needle and syringe, you may withdraw the thrombin solution from the glass vial.
Alternatively, you can remove the rubber stopper (by removing the metal pull tab) to transfer EVITHROM ® into a sterile container using aseptic techniques.
The time limitations between thawing and application are described in the HOW SUPPLIED/STORAGE AND HANDLING (16).
DO NOT INJECT. Use EVITHROM ® topically.
Apply only on the surface of bleeding tissue.
EVITHROM ® alone
- Sponge target surface (do not wipe) or suction free of blood before application.
- The surface may be flooded with EVITHROM ® using a sterile syringe and small gauge needle.
- After treatment, avoid sponging the clot to assure that it remains securely in place.
EVITHROM ® in conjunction with Absorbable Gelatin Sponge, USP
- Transfer EVITHROM ® into a sterile container using aseptic techniques.
- Immerse gelatin sponge of desired shape in the EVITHROM ® solution.
- Vigorously knead the sponge with moistened gloved fingers until all air is expelled and it can return to its original size and shape.
- Hold the saturated sponge in place with gauze or cotton pledget using moderate pressure until hemostasis is achieved.
The amount of EVITHROM ® required depends upon the area of tissue to be treated and the method of application. As an approximate guide, volumes up to 10 ml were used in clinical studies where EVITHROM ® was used in conjunction with Absorbable Gelatin Sponge, USP.
Vials are for single use only. Discard unused contents.
More about Evithrom (thrombin topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Pricing & Coupons
- Drug class: miscellaneous coagulation modifiers
- FDA Approval History