User Reviews for Jakafi

4.5

1 review 1 medications
Summary of Jakafi reviews 6.3 8 reviews

Reviews for Jakafi

For Polycythemia Vera "I have been taking this medication, Jakafi for 10 months. Once correct dosage was figured out, I have experienced no itching and there has been no need for phlebotomy treatments. Downside to taking this medication is that for days at a time I have trouble with my bowel movements and pain and cramping in my stomach. This happens when I eat healthy, broccoli, kale, multi grain bread. Also when I eat fried foods."

Peggs (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 6, 2018

For Polycythemia Vera "I started on a higher dose and my counts came down and itching stopped, but I had weight gain! Yuck!, migraines, loud constant ringing ears, joint aches and swelling, dizziness. Then, tried a lower dose 5mg 2 x day, and side effects lessened greatly, but my counts increased. I’m off of it and on Hydrea, and trying to lose the weight now (10lbs). To add, the price of Jakafi, ruxolitinib is RIDICULOUS."

Sharon Anne (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2018

For Polycythemia Vera "I am 74 yrs old and have polycythemia vera (PV) since I was 62. Was on Hydrea and phlobotomy every 3 mos. Was seriously very depressed and low energies. On Jakavi since May-2016 and no more phlobotomy. Now taking Jakavi 25mg twice a day. My life is back and feels like not having PV. Med is expensive at 25mg because I need 20+5 mg. Cost is doubled because they don't make 25mg pills!"

Kaude November 24, 2017

For Polycythemia Vera "I was diagnosed with polycythmia vera in 2007. Itching, terrible itching, has been my main complaint and hydroxyurea didn't help. I was taking Atarax four+ times a day plus getting light therapy 2-3 times a week. With Jakafi, I take Atarax 1-4 x day, and don't need light therapy. However, when it's really warm or allergens are in the air, I take Emend off-label. Side effects of Jakafi: more susceptible to infection, possibly anemia, possibly higher erythropoietin levels."

emma goldman October 18, 2017

For Polycythemia Vera "Been taking Jakafi for 9 months .... 10mg 2x daily. Just now counts slightly increasing so my Dr is adding another 5mg daily to my dose. This med has improved my life significantly .... my over functioning has improved 100% but still with some issues. It's scary to change medications, I hope my comment will give others courage and hope ... if their Dr thinks it's worth giving it a try."

Rob15 August 23, 2017

For Myelofibrosis "I have post essential thrombocythemia myelofibrosis. Jakafi has my platelet count and white cell count normal again. However, it caused my red cell count to go way too low and so am on Procrit shots to avoid transfusions. I am very fatigued after the slightest physical activity. I gained about 10 pounds and get pimples from it. Jakafi instantly got rid of my joint aches and pains."

zfatherhen (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 20, 2017

For Polycythemia Vera "I have been on Jakafi now for 7 months. I have had major weight gain (25lbs) and migraine headaches every day. Before I started my counts were over a million and they are only down to 800,000. So for me this isn't working. The side effects and losing days to headaches are not worth taking it."

autobodyladybenz January 15, 2017

For Polycythemia Vera "This is the third Rx I've had over 10 years to treat polycythemia rubes very. Started for drug trial for 87 weeks. Now on an Rx. I've had 0 Phlebotomy since on Jakafi. Itching is nearly nonexistent. I can sleep well. Mood has improved. Generally, Jakafi has given me a life back!"

phyrchief (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2015