User Reviews for Afinitor to treat Breast Cancer

Afinitor Rating Summary

4.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer.

Reviews for Afinitor

Daisy · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2018

“It was the worst experience ever with this medicine , I DO NOT RECOMMEND it at all , Please don’t take it , this is a TOXIC medicine , my mum used it , it caused her lung problems, lung embolism, lung inflammation, & MALIGNANT LYMPHOMA, and she dead after using this TOXIC medicine. She used the 10 mg from March to May , than 5 mg from May to June and she stopped it after suffering from allergy , she lost over 27 kilograms in a short period .”

Lifer lifer lifer · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 15, 2016

“Although the medication did effectively treat my cancer the side effects were so severe that I decided to discontinue use of the drug and try an alternate treatment. Skin rash started on my hands initially and spread to my entire body causing severe itching and scratching which led to something looking like opened bug bites all over. Severe gum irritation described by my dental hygienist as your gums are flapping in the wind, also red swollen gums which caused me to be unable to eat anything not soft. Lost 10 lbs the first two months. Also projectile vomiting, diahrea and nausea. At three months I found it had made me diabetic and raised my triglycerides to over 500. That's when I opted to stop treatment.”

Lifer lifer March 15, 2016

“Although the medication did effectively treat my cancer the side effects were so severe that I decided to discontinue use of the drug and try an alternate treatment”

wrd · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 31, 2015

“Stage 4 with lymph and bone bone metastasis. Never on infusion chemo due to my autonomic diabetic nerve damage. Hormone treatments failed. Tamoxifen gave me terrible forgetfulness. Took Xeloda. At 6 months scan showed cancer gone except in giant ulcer on chest. Then Xeloda failed and cancer spread rapidly. Affinitor worked quickly with visible changes in two weeks. Four weeks ulcer showing definitely better . Been about 5 months. Cat scan showed no cancer active. Ulcer a third smaller and still healing. Cancer itching totally relieved although some iching as larger tumors heal. Had some nose slight bleeding issues early on but with summer humidity no problem. Chronic slight cough and congestion. Short of breath but can walk.”

cecix June 11, 2015

“On this drug for 2 weeks, had severe side effects, swelling of both hands, rash,and small bubbles started appearing (pop it like water). now its on both feet,arm pit. I had to stop taking it.”

itskitsch · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2014

“I've been taking it for 5 months. After 6 weeks on 10 mg my lymphedema arm got infected & real swollen--I was told it was shingles & Lyme disease. After 2 rounds of antibiotics I went back on 5 mg. My subsequent scans show liver mets decreasing. My insurance cap was exceeded after 1 month($$$), but I qualified for a Novartis program for free medicines--check it out. Side effects on 10 mg were intense--like chemo. 5 mg is much more tolerable, still I must take Protonix every day for gastric upset. And I get really itchy.”

lovemoore June 8, 2013

“Dont have any side effects, only mild tiredness. Been taking it for three weeks.”

KathyinNewMexico · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2013

“I was one of the few people who could not take it. It attacked my body along with the cancer. Quit taking it after 2 months but it would not flush from my system. My skin was bad from dehydration as it did not allow my body to absorb moisture in my arms and legs. My skin looked like parchment with nothing under it but bone and a little flesh. Lost over 20 pounds in about a month. Finally my regular doctor put me in the hospital -as I found some men in Australia had to do. I was given I.V's for 5 days and am feeling much better. It is a good medicine but some people just cannot take it.”

SueStick January 10, 2013

“Within 7 days of taking Affinitor the fluid in my lung decreased.”

Learn more about Breast Cancer

Symptom checker

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)