User Reviews for Barium sulfate

Also known as: Anatrast, Bar-Test, Baricon, Baro-Cat, Barobag, Barosperse, Barosphere, Barotrast, Bear-E-Yum GI, CheeTah, Digibar 190, E-Z AC, E-Z Disk, E-Z Dose Kit with Polibar Plus, E-Z Paste, E-Z-Cat, E-Z-Cat Dry, E-Z-HD, E-Z-Paque, Enecat, Eneset 2, Enhancer, Entero VU, Entero-H, Entrobar, Entroease, Esobar, Esopho-Cat, Esophotrast, Flo-Coat, HD 200 Plus, HD 85, Intropaste, Lafayette, Liqui-Coat HD, Liquid Barosperse, Liquid E-Z Paque, Liquid Polibar, Liquid Polibar Plus, Maxibar, Medebar Plus, Medebar Super 250, Oratrast, Polibar ACB, Polibar Plus, Prepcat, Readi-Cat, Readi-Cat 2, Scan C, SilQ Vanilla, Sitzmarks, Smoothie Readi-Cat 2, Sol-O-Pake, Tagitol V, Tomocat, Tonojug, Tonopaque, Ultra R, Varibar, Varibar Honey, Varibar Nectar, Varibar Pudding, Varibar Thin, Varibar Thin Honey, Volumen …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Barium sulfate.

Barium sulfate Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 57 medications used in the treatment of Computed Tomography.

Reviews for Barium sulfate to treat Computed Tomography

"I took the Vanilla Flavored and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Drank one bottle 3 hours prior to the scan, another 1/2 bottle an hour before the scan, a 1/2 bottle 30 minutes prior to the scan and another cup immediately prior to the scan. I had been expecting diarrhea, and was surprised to find it made me constipated. I kept drinking water, however, and finally went about 3-4 hours later. If it all helps to find out the problem, it’s definitely worth it!"

Fran C January 16, 2018

Readi-Cat (barium sulfate): "I had the banana flavor and it was a BIG improvement from the old days of just drinking chalk! However, it was thick and at times unpleasant. I had to gag down 2 large servings, plus they administered an iodine IV during the CT scan. About 45 minutes after the procedure, it all hit and I was in the bathroom for the next several hours. Not sure if it was the barium or iodine, but this was one of the common side effects and worth it to find out what's going on inside me or for prevention!"

AAVA January 13, 2018

"Didn't taste bad at all. You just have to take it!. Did give me diarrhea though."

clownllama November 2, 2017

Readi-Cat (barium sulfate): "Orange flavor wasn't bad but a little orange food coloring might have made the illusion a bit more convincing. Medium thick but went down without much problem. Technician assured me it was light years better than the chalky mix they used to use. Then got an injection of an unnamed diuretic and urination every 5 minutes began. Not sure if it was completely the diuretic or the barium was a contributor but it continued right up to PET time. I warned them so they procured a plastic urinal and wrapped an diaper around me on the table. Neither got used during the 15 minute scan but it took a lot of clenched sphincter action to prevent a mess. Ten seconds off the table the urinal got used."

Billella (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2017

"The taste of the mochacinno smoothie was very tolerable. Tasted like watered down chocolate milk but with enough flavor. I was to drink 2 450ml bottles. One before bed and one 45 mins before my scheduled ct scan. First dose went down very smoothly but caused alot of gas. Second dose was fine until about half way through where it just wasnt appetizing anymore. Second dose caused some loose stool about 30 minutes after and then evolved into pretty significant diarrhea. Definitely take the whole day off after your scan. Overall not as bad as i though it would be. Definitely drink lots of water for the following 24 hours after your scan."

Amanda M August 10, 2016

"No problems drinking 28 ounces and half an hour later drinking second 28 ounces, both vanilla flavored. About 3 1/2 hours after procedure, diarrhea started and, oh my, it continued for 4 hours, almost non-stop. Not fun! I might as well have been preparing for a colonoscopy."

willypickle June 29, 2016

Volumen (barium sulfate): "I took the first dose at 7:55am.I had kept both bottles in the refrigerator as instructed. The taste was not as awful as anticipated but there was so much of it that it took nearly 15 minutes to finish. I felt bloated & uncomfortable. I took the second dose at 8:20 am & had much more difficulty getting it down. Finally tossed about 4 ounces down the drain.I really thought I was going to throw it all up.I was given a cup with another half bottle of Volumen to drink as soon as I got to the clinic.That was warm & tasted worse. After waiting for 10 minutes I was taken to the room for the CT Enterography & given the second half of the bottle to drink.I was already having to urinate every 5 minutes by then but got through it.Had diarrhea all day"

Glitter19492 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

Readi-Cat 2 (barium sulfate): "Tastes so nasty made me want to throw up even more."

BigMak2014 (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2015

Smoothie Readi-Cat 2 (barium sulfate): "I consumed the Berry Smoothie Readi-Cat as directed prior to a CT scan. When I was leaving, the technician handed me a bottle of water, and told me to be sure to drink enough liquids. He did not explain why. I failed to consume much water following the exam; I was busy around town doing errands and it slipped my mind. Later, I have found that there have been residual effects of some joint inflammation, that is apparent in my right knee joint area in particular. I suspect that this product has the potential to contribute to inflammation. I'm not sure if it is the barium sulfate in particular, although I had a CT scan a few years ago and don't remember this side effect. It could be the agents used to flavor it, or to keep it in suspension."

Mimi Mitchell (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2014

"Barium swallow test for difficulty swallowing. The contrast mixture was very thick and had a chalky taste. I gagged twice due to the unpleasant taste and thick consistency. The test was successful."

brentp (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2013

"About 15 minutes after drinking the second bottle the diarrhea started. It was pretty severe and made it difficult to get through the CT Scan. It was followed by nausea and some weakness. It started early in the morning and is lasting well into the night."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2013

Readi-Cat (barium sulfate): "I drank Readi-Cat (barium sulfate) for an abdominal CT scan. I gave it a nine only because of the taste. It was thick, and had the consistency of vegetable oil with a citrus flavor. I experienced some very mild heartburn and nausea while drinking it, but that went away very quickly. The following morning, I had one bout of diarrhea, which was listed as a side effect. Other than that, I didn't experience any of the listed possible side effects. Overall a much better experience than I was anticipating!"

Anonymous July 7, 2012

Readi-Cat 2 (barium sulfate): "Terrible. Developed rash all over within minutes of drinking a cup of Readi-cat 2. Test was postponed and I was sent home. It took hours for the rash to clear. Thanks to a nurse who noticed the rash and stopped the procedure."

Anonymous January 25, 2012