User Reviews for Xanax XR

Learn more about Xanax XR.

Xanax XR Rating Summary

9.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Xanax XR to treat Anxiety

"I was prescribed regular Xanax in the early 90's for anxiety and it changed my life - for the better. I was more productive than ever, my relationships got back to where they should be, and I was finally sleeping well. As time went on, my tolerance increased and I suffered significant peaks and valleys between doses throughout the day. Xanax XR was complete game changer for me - a completely different medication. I take it in the morning and feel great all day long and I sleep well. I still take the regular Xanax on occasion if my anxiety flares. The XR version is far better but much more expensive. The $120/mo is nothing when it comes to quality of life. ."

Bob from St. Louis (taken for 10 years or more) May 10, 2016

"Tried this for a few days to help with anxiety instead of my usual Klonopin, at bedtime. Do not just switch to another benzo without transitioning. Had bad nightmares all night and was a wreak the following days. Might be good for some people, and maybe more for daytime anxiety but definitely didn't help my sleep (even when taking a higher dose than I normally do of Klonopin). On a side note, don't rely on benzos long-term (> 1 month). You will quickly dig yourself a hole as tolerance inevitably builds and your sleep and mental state will be worse than when you started. Been on benzos for > 2 years and I'm slowly reducing mine and it sucks pretty bad. Get on something safer and non-tolerance building. The sooner the better."

brett84c (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

"Still use a regular Xanax at times when things get bad but the XR is amazing for those times where I can't afford the drowsiness. XR is just a nice steady dose to take the edge off and no side effects. Would recommend."

Tripoli March 21, 2016

"Instead of the ups and downs of short-acting Ativan (1mg X 5 times a day).....Xanax XR seems to take the edge off so I can enjoy life without the hamster wheel and tooth clenching, etc...."

Jeff Generalized Anxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2016

"I was originally just on the regular XANAX for year's and at first it helped and then it wore off and wasn't affective. My Doctor searched and searched for another medication that would be very effective especially because I have "LUPUS" and have been having severe anxiety and depression I really had to be on something before I stressed my "Lupus" to flair up! So XANAX XR was recommended , and OMG this XR is so amazing and very effective. I absolutely love it! It helped with anxiety, depression and sleep! I t works wonders and I totally recommend it to anyone."

Bosslady Neale June 16, 2015

"1mg of alprazolam XR at night and sleep like a baby. No side effects, no need to increase the dose. It's a wonder medicine for me because I can't stop my mind racing. But this does."

Curleyjoe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 11, 2015

"I have daily anxiety and was on Ativan for a while and while I loved the Ativan I was looking for something longer acting - my psychiatrist tried me on Xanax XR 0.05mg. For me, this medicine is a God send. In the beginning when I first starting taking it I did notice some slight dizziness and 'weird' feelings but I stuck with it and once it regulated in my system (about 3-4 weeks) I feel totally normal and calm on it with zero side effects. I have since upped my dose to the 1mg Xanax XR twice daily if I need it, but some days I only take one pill to get me through the day and deal with the anxiety at night since I'm home and then take a pill in the morning like normal. My advice would be to start it on the lowest dose and work your way up."

Girl25 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2014

"I started this medicine about 2 months ago for severe anxiety. I tried everything they had out there for anxiety but nothing worked until now. I still get a panic attack once in a while but something I can handle. Anxiety cause me to have heart disease and other problem health issues. I recommend Xanax XR."

sam ann m July 21, 2014

"No side effects, effectively reduced my anxiety."

CrazyBeautiful21 May 5, 2014

"I was in car accident, brain damage, 10 years ago and been almost since on Xanax I love them they help me daily and nightly."

Piam (taken for 10 years or more) January 20, 2014

"My psychiatrist had me on 2mg Xanax IR as needed daily. I have severe anxiety and had tried Ativan, Klonopin, Valium, ect. None of them seemed to work. Finally, I found that Xanax did. Unfortunately, Xanax isn't a long-acting drug. I was finding that being on such a high dose of IR that I was having to take it even when I didn't need it for anxiety but just to keep from having withdrawals. I was miserable until I was prescribed 2mg Xanax XR twice daily. It does pretty well to control my severe anxiety, racing thoughts, and OCD! I do still take 1mg Xanax IR as needed if I'm having a hard day with my anxiety or if I have a panic attack. All in all, I recommend trying this medication for treatment of moderate to severe anxiety disorders."

MedScienceStudent (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 11, 2013

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Worked great!"

montweezy March 17, 2013

"I've been taking this medicine for 2 days and all I can say is wow! Is this what normal life is supposed to feel like? I was diagnosed with a chronic pain condition that is caused by a lifetime full of anxiety and the tightening and clenching of muscles that were not intended to be in constant use. The pit in my stomach is gone and I am actually looking forward to waking up in the morning and being able to face the day anxiety free!"

Bingtopper (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2013

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My anxiety didn't really cease when I was on this medication. I didn't feel the effects that others have described, but once I got on the non XR I was able to attend school, go to the grocery store, do all the normal things that people without severe anxiety can do."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2012

"This has been a God send for me. It makes me feel like I'm on a more even playing field and I've had less panic attacks. With only having to take 1 every 12 hours, that is also helpful as I am on other medicines for depression and fibromyalgia. I would recommend for anyone with anxiety and/or panic disorders to definitely try this if you can get your Doctor to prescribe it for you, as it is becoming harder and harder to get the medicines that actually work for us because they think we will all become addicted. I always say give us the medicines we need for our problems that WORK and we'll worry about the rest later. "

greygallow November 26, 2011

"Xanax XR is very similar to Klonopin. It's slow to start up (around an hour) then it lasts a long time (8-12 hours). It has subtle effects and no big highs and lows in anxiety like regular Xanax IR does. I highly recommend Xanax XR for all-day (or most of the day) relief from anxiety and panic attacks. You might want to have regular Xanax or Ativan around for panic attacks on a when required, or as needed, basis for panic attacks only."

Anonymous October 17, 2011

"I have tried everything from regular Xanax to Klonopin. I was a severe crack addict and being on any medication scared the day lights out of me (as I was trying to live a life free of drugs) but my doctor prescribed me Xanax XR 1 x a day and I FEEL GREAT! My husband of a year went from walking on eggshells around me to loving every waking moment with me! It has helped with my fight of crack cocaine as well! It helps with my highs and lows of my Bi-polar disorder as well. My anxiety is very minimal now and I am so very thankful for this medication. I am also on Depakote 500mg at night for my epilepsy and my bi-polar disorder."

LovingLife2011 August 8, 2011

"I started using Xanax XR about 2 yrs ago and it has been a life saver for me. I was suffering from really bad anxiety that would bring on bad panic attacks that sent me to the ER twice. My doctor started me out at 1mg once a day then she decreased it to 0.5mg about a yer ago and that's what I've been taking. I hated the way I felt for a day or two when I was brought down to 0.5mg's so that has made me too scared to even try to start weaning off of it. I can function perfectly well on this medication. "

donna34 June 1, 2011

"My doctor put me on Xanax XR 2 mg and I have never felt better anxiety wise. I take it once a day in the morning and I am good for the entire day. Since going on Xanax XR, I have only had one panic attack and that was before my dose was increased from 1 mg to 2 mg of Xanax XR. I recommend this medication to anyone with severe anxiety and panic attacks. I am currently disabled from my anxiety. I am hoping with my new medication regimen and therapy that I will eventually be able to go to college and work again. I also take regular Xanax before bed-time if my anxiety is too severe since the Xanax XR lasts me about 12 hours and I take it in the morning. I'm also on Risperdal, Paxil CR, and Propranalol for anxiety, panic disorder, OCD, and PTSD."

Anonymous April 30, 2011

"This is an exceptional medicine. I have been on it for only a couple of weeks. I have tried Seroquel, trazodone, Ambien and none of these have worked but alprazolam is a miracle medicine."

oxyaaron August 9, 2010

"The medicine itself I didn't have an issue with, although I still prefer Klonopin, but it was the withdrawal I couldn't handle. I was on this medication for two months and since, like I previously mentioned, I decided to go back on Klonopin. I stopped taking the Xanax XR. When I did, I felt like a bus ran over me. I felt shaky, drowsy and like I'd been out drinking the night before (which I haven't done in 10 years). It really wasn't worth the withdrawal."

Amelia Solum March 2, 2010

"This works GREAT! I would recommend it to anyone. I love how I have to keep taking Xanax throughout the day. I've been taking it for 3 months now."

Anonymous January 22, 2010

"It is a good medicine. I often find that it helps me even more because I do not have to take it everyday."

Anonymous November 28, 2009

"Love this medicine. It relaxes you so you can not possibly feel anxiety. The first time I took a whole one I thought I was going to pass out and could hardly walk - so be careful. It will make you sleepy so use caution when taking during the day. It can also help you sleep when you can't stop thinking. I highly recommend it for occasional use but not for every day."

Anonymous July 31, 2009

"This medicine has helped me with my social anxiety tremendously. Before, I would sit at home on the computer all the time, too afraid to really do anything. I skipped school all the time because I was too nervous. Now I'm going to college, making friends, etc. I still get nervous, but not nearly as bad as it once was. This medicine helps me live."

igetamnesia July 25, 2009