This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
TEM is surgery to remove polyps or early stage cancer cells from your rectum. This surgery is done by going through your anus instead of making incisions in your abdomen.
Seek care immediately if:
- You have a fever that lasts longer than 24 hours.
- You see blood coming from your rectum.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have a fever or chills.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
- Antibiotics may be given to prevent or treat a bacterial infection.
- Prescription pain medicine may be given. Ask your healthcare provider how to take this medicine safely. Some prescription pain medicines contain acetaminophen. Do not take other medicines that contain acetaminophen without talking to your healthcare provider. Too much acetaminophen may cause liver damage. Prescription pain medicine may cause constipation. Ask your healthcare provider how to prevent or treat constipation.
- Stool softeners make it easier for you to have a bowel movement. You may need this medicine to treat or prevent constipation.
- Take your medicine as directed. Contact your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him or her if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Ask your healthcare provider when you can return to your regular activities.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
You will need to return for follow-up tests. You may also need to return for further treatment if cancer cells were removed during your surgery. Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© 2017 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.