This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
A pinguecula is a yellow bump on the white part of your eye (sclera). It may also cause dryness, redness, swelling, or pain in your eye.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- Your pinguecula changes in size, shape, or color.
- You have thick, yellow drainage from one or both eyes.
- Your eyelids or the skin around your eyes is red and swollen.
- Your symptoms do not improve with treatment.
- You have changes in your vision.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
- Eyedrops can help decrease dryness, redness, swelling, or pain.
- Take your medicine as directed. Contact your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him of her if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
- Wear sunglasses and a hat when you are outside. This will protect your eyes from sunlight, wind, and dust. It may also prevent your condition from getting worse.
- Wear protective eye gear. Do this anytime you work with chemicals such as pest sprays or you clean dusty areas.
- Use artificial tears, gels, and lubricating ointments as directed. They are available without a doctor's order. These products can replace tears and help add moisture to your eyes. This may decrease dryness, redness, and pain. Ask your healthcare provider how often to use these products.
- Do not smoke. Nicotine and other chemicals in cigarettes and cigars can make your symptoms worse. Ask your healthcare provider for information if you currently smoke and need help to quit. E-cigarettes or smokeless tobacco still contain nicotine. Talk to your healthcare provider before you use these products.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© 2017 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.