This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Eyelid Chalazion Removal
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Eyelid chalazion removal is a procedure to remove a lump on your eyelid. The lump is caused by inflammation or blockage in the oil gland.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have signs of infection such as increased redness, swelling, and pain.
- Blood soaks through your eye patch.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
- Medicine in the form of eye drops or ointment may be given to prevent a bacterial infection.
- Take your medicine as directed. Contact your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him or her if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Apply a warm compress:
After you have removed your eye patch, wet a washcloth with warm water and place it on your eye. This will help decrease swelling and pain. You may need to apply the compress for 10 to 15 minutes 2 to 4 times each day, or as directed.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2018 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or IBM Watson Health
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.